Metroplex
Sponsored by

The Bevens murder in Midlothian

124,325 Views | 462 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Matsui
91AggieLawyer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No new suspects

Another interesting article about internet sleuths

Can't be talking about us!

IDAGG
AG
From the article above:

Quote:

On May 20, 2016, Midlothian PD released the photos rear of the vehicle through its official Twitter account, which showed a unique oval shaped sticker.
Obviously a "DOSS" sticker. Which one of you miscreants from the Outdoor Board committed this murder?
bco2003
AG
It's been a year. Not much of an update from the PD.

Quote:

"I can tell you that nobody in this building has forgotten about Missy Bevers. Nobody has moved on. Nobody has closed this case. We are as diligent as we were back in April of 2016," said Assistant Midlothian Police Chief Kevin Johnson.

Police are still tracking leads. When asked if they're still scrutinizing persons of interest, Johnson said he couldn't elaborate on the details.

"None that I can share, but there are persons of interest that we are currently investigating," he said.

http://www.fox4news.com/news/248923025-story
DallasAggie0
Barring a confession this person got away with it.
wbt5845
AG
What Midlo PD had to say today. This sounds like they have no idea who did it.

Quote:

The Midlothian PD posted on Neighborhood Nextdoor today about Missy. #MissyStrong #NeverForgotten.

Today marks the one-year anniversary of the homicide of Terri "Missy" Bevers. Missy was murdered in the early morning hours on April 16th, 2016 as she was preparing to lead an exercise class at the Creekside Church of Christ in Midlothian, TX. The Midlothian Police Department, jointly working with the Federal Bureau of Investigation, remains actively investigating all leads in this case. As forensic and investigative technology has advanced significantly over the past several years, so has the ability for law enforcement to recover physical evidence related to violent crimes similar to Missy's homicide.

Law enforcement officials, diligently working with professional outside resources as well, are determined to see this case reach imminent closure. We are relentlessly pursuing new leads that have been developed and are availing ourselves of a number of new, highly advanced investigative techniques. While we are reluctant to discuss all of our current investigative details and methods, there is no technology or resource that will not be fully exploited in order to identify the individual or individuals responsible for this senseless murder.

There has been much speculation about this case, as it has received nationwide attention. Please know that we will continue to judiciously protect the release of information about Missy's murder so long as this case remains open. To do otherwise would be irresponsible and simply poor police work. Missy was a beloved mother, wife, daughter, and sister. She, her family, and our community deserve our best effort. Since the beginning, finding justice for Missy had been our number one priority. We will do that by following the evidence wherever it may lead us.

Often times, members of our community have information of some value but do not come forward with the information because of concerns that it may not be important or may be deemed as a waste of time. It is our sincere belief that this Missy's killer will be caught through collaboration with the public. We believe that somebody who has not yet come forward may have that vital piece of information they have thus far withheld. We implore members of the public to please contact the Midlothian Police Department, regardless of how insignificant they may think their information is.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

This sounds like they have no idea who did it.

Its fair to assume they are at least at a standstill. I don't think they're building a case against a known suspect. That would have gotten out.

A year is a long time to carefully dispose of evidence -- even things you forgot on the first, second, or tenth attempt. The murder weapon could be at the bottom of a river in some unknown state or 3 feet underground somewhere in Ellis county.
bco2003
AG
Bump

Local media outlets had follow-ups yesterday, for the 3 year anniversary of the murder. No new info or breaks in the case

Still crazy that someone got away with it given the presence of video evidence of the killer.
wbt5845
AG
So, this is still so sad. I do CG and worry about trainers setting up for camp at 4:00 AM with no one around.

I still think her husband had her killed and got away with it.
LSB_2002
AG
Simply amazing! I can't believe its been 3 years. There literally had to be tons of balls dropped on this investigation.
bbattbq01
AG
I was just thinking about this case earlier today for some reason... insane.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Could be arranged by the husband. Could be a jealous spouse. Could be someone that got obsessed with a tight-bodied fitness instructor. I have no idea. What a shame that this doesn't look like it will ever be brought to justice.
hph6203
AG
Shocked it wasn't the father in law to be honest. Or at least they couldn't prove it. That gimpy fat man walk matches up pretty well.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
hph6203 said:

Shocked it wasn't the father in law to be honest. Or at least they couldn't prove it. That gimpy fat man walk matches up pretty well.

Yep. Too many small town podunk police departments aren't staying sharp on the up to date detective methods. But they're really good at catching those speeding 5 over on main st.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

I still think her husband had her killed and got away with it.

This or murder for hire in general is probably the LEAST likely scenario. Why? Because it is easier to detect and later prove. Not just people ratting out others but more people means more potential mistakes. More people talking and letting something slip. If one or two people at the scene do this, they are relatively careful and don't talk, the likelihood of capture is fairly low. Honestly, the biggest thing about this case the killer or killers didn't anticipate was the media attention. Few murders get that.

I still don't know why people suspect family members. There is absolutely no evidence of any involvement.

With all that said, nothing is off the table. Only those involved know what happened.
Lobster Twins
AG
I think about this case every now and then...bothers me still. There's no way to know the number of people who do get away with the murder for hire but I'd bet it's higher than we might think. It would definitely take a certain level of smarts and trust to pull it off. In this case it just feels like that is what happened. The dad and the husband being out of town at the same time is a very convenient safety net.

IMO, this was absolutely a hit on Missy Bevers. It appears to me the murderer meanders around this church with no apparent goal other than to waist time. No timeline. No sense of urgency. No care in the world. A robber doesn't hit a target like this church without knowing where to go to get what they came for. This was a person who knew to cover their identity. What time to be there. Who was gonna be there. For hire or not...this person was there for her. The other reason I think this is because of the police uniform. This murderer knew that he/she would need some way to get close enough to her to kill her. She was fit and the murderer does not appear to be at all. She could have easily gotten away from this person if they had the appearance of a robber. How do you get close to the victim?

"Freeze, police! Put your hands up"
-"I teach a workout class here in the morning"
"We had a reports/alarm notify us of a break in. Please turn around so I can check you for weapons"

Robbers don't wear SWAT uniforms...they wear jackets and cover their face with hoodies, etc

How do we catch them?

The duck walk, publicity and fresh eyes/agencies. Hopefully this thing gets a lot more TV time over the years. That walk is very distinguishable. Someone one day will recognize it and then hopefully we have them. Maddening that this person/people have gotten away with this.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, a murder-for-hire largely requires two things: 1) don't be stupid about how you pay and 2) two people need to keep their mouth shut. Sure, a lot of people are too stupid and undisciplined to accomplish both, but it is absolutely plausible.
Lobster Twins
AG
Another thought I was having concerning the police uniform. The chances the murderer owned this uniform before imo is close to nil. They bought it somewhere in the year/months/weeks leading up to the murder. How often does someone (especially not a cop) buy something like that in this country? Not too often. There is a record of that purchase somewhere. EBAY, tactical outfitter, military surplus perhaps. Does the Midlothian PD have the technology, etc to do these kinds of searches? If in fact the police chief gave the FBI the boot as previously mentioned then hopefully he has a good reason...but that would be a shame. There are certain things those agencies are really good at.
91AggieLawyer
AG
They probably didn't get it at LA Police Gear or a similar retailer. If you've been in a military surplus store, you'd see a very low tech operation. Yeah, they'll take credit cards, of course, but cash transactions and likely no cameras (for good reason -- or only 24 hour/1 week feed to nab robbers of the store), and you can get a lot of that stuff. I've been in one store in Dallas a lot over the years but not in the last 5 or 6 so if I got something in there then and used it in a crime 3 years ago, and the cops just got to the store owner recently, there's no way he's going to be able to ID me as the guy who bought the stuff. Even if I walked in at the time he's talking to the police, the only thing he's going to remember is that I've been in there before and I bought stuff. Unless he thought I was a wack job but if that were the case, I'd have given off other clues.

Maybe this case is pretty straight forward and the Midlothian PD has just bungled it from the beginning. Having seen other PDs do that with similar cases, it seems to be the most logical assumption going.
DallasAggie0
DannyDuberstein
AG
I thought that video was very compelling back when I saw it, but I'm 99% sure his out-of-town alibi was locked down very well. So very interesting similarity but not him.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Watch the video on the left from about :57 for about 7 seconds -- the person walk. His/her feet are almost at a 45 degree angle while walking. On the right, there's only a small portion of video of him walking, but it doesn't appear that Randy's feet go outward when he walks, only when he stops. And certainly not that far in either case. Plus, Randy's head and neck sort of lurches forward whereas on the video on the left, the character's head goes back.
Garrelli 5000
AG
How tall is the person? Should be pretty easy to get within an inch or 2 when you account for boots/helmet, standing next to the door.

I see more women w/that gait than men, but I still see fat men w/the walk. it's the typical feet placement of a kid that did the W-sit too much.

duck79
AG
Listened to a podcast that was released today about this murder and it's amazing it still hasn't been solved.

Reading reddit about this case brings up a few good theories as well.
double aught
AG
A stone cold whodunnit.
Robert C. Christian
AG
duck79 said:

Listened to a podcast that was released today about this murder and it's amazing it still hasn't been solved.

Reading reddit about this case brings up a few good theories as well.

What's the podcast?
duck79
AG
Crime Junkie. Wife and I listen to it weekly on our commutes and talk about it. It's a good way to talk about something other than work.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Thanks! Will need to checkbthat out.
wbt5845
AG
This things pisses me off. Full disclosure - I do CG and knew Missy Beavers, although not well.

The Midlothian PD has screwed this up so bad - they should be ashamed of themselves. They've let someone literally get away with murder. If they were incapable of solving this, they should have called in the Texas Rangers of some other law enforcement agency with more expertise.
AgFB
AG
How do you know they haven't?
wbt5845
AG
AgFB said:

How do you know they haven't?
I don't - I'm just pissed. I'll rephrase to "they haven't engaged whoever would lead them to the killer". I just find it hard to believe in this day and age someone could get away with murder.
AgFB
AG
Agreed....especially with the camera footage - I'm guessing with a lot more than we've actually seen in the public.
proc
AG
They have no witnesses, no physical evidence, no good description, no clear video of the vehicle. The killer was fortunate enough to have their vehicle and phone unseen in this age of cameras and cell phone antennas everywhere.

Unless someone talks, no law enforcement agency could solve this crime.
wbt5845
AG
My thoughts are there was physical evidence present at the scene of the crime that Midlo PD was too inept to find. I find it hard to believe there was a mastermind criminal in some random church in Midlothian at 4 AM just waiting to commit the perfect crime.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
wbt5845 said:

My thoughts are there was physical evidence present at the scene of the crime that Midlo PD was too inept to find. I find it hard to believe there was a mastermind criminal in some random church in Midlothian at 4 AM just waiting to commit the perfect crime.
I think it's extremely foolish to believe this was just a "random church" and I'd guess the murderer was absolutely waiting for her to commit the "perfect crime". I'm betting this was planned weeks (maybe months) in advance.
wbt5845
AG
That's my point - this wasn't just someone robbing a church who killed her - this was a hit - and thus there's a trail somewhere.

This was Midlothian's first murder in 7 years, but instead of calling in agencies with experience, their police putz around and try their best to run their own murder investigation. And they failed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.