Metroplex
Sponsored by

The Bevens murder in Midlothian

124,358 Views | 462 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Matsui
proc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Texas Rangers did assist MPD with the investigation early on. Blaming this all on MPD is not quite right.

And I disagree if you are using the traditional term of "hit". Using a hammer is simply too messy and creates way too much blood spatter evidence on everything, increasing the chances of getting caught. It's like Gallagher hitting a watermelon, that stuff flies everywhere. This was a personal rage killing, by somebody that was smart enough to wear gloves and leave their phone at home. A pro would have just shot her in the head and left the gun.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Listened to another podcast on this. I can't believe this person seemingly got away with this. Kind of like with the Delphi case where the perp is on video and a voice recording and they can't crack it.
Hincemm
AG
What podcast
Jimmy McNulty
AG
True Crime Garage, but it seems quite a few podcasts have covered the case to this point.

After googling, I'm not sure I'd seen this enhanced pic of the person in the swat gear, assuming it's real.

https://crimeblogger1983.blogspot.com/2016/12/the-murder-of-missy-bevers.html
proc
AG
Dang, this will be 5 years in April. I don't think this one gets solved.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Sure doesn't seem like it unless someone starts talking or if they happened to get DNA at the scene, the perp commits another crime and is added to the system.

I have mentioned the Delphi case a few times on a few threads about true crime. Same situation and I think about both cases a lot.
TriAg2010
AG
Meanwhile, the turkey murder is solved in like 5 minutes.
double aught
AG
Weird to know there's someone out there who knows they got away with this.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Yep, but there's no way they are the only one or that others they know don't suspect them. As time goes on, relationships diminish, and things change. Let's hope if someone knows something, and is protecting them, that they choose to no longer do so, at some point.
double aught
AG
Disappointed you haven't solved it yet, Jimmy. Thought you were natural po-lice.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
I've been back on the bottle and relegated to boat duty again.
Proposition Joe
Jimmy McNulty said:

Stir up a hornet's nest, ain't no telling who's gonna get stung.
Ervin Burrell
AG
Jimmy McNulty said:

Do your time, lay off the sauce, make things right with Rawls and I'll make sure you're off the boat by summer.
jsdaltxag
Would love to see this case get solved and turned into a movie.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
After listening to one of the podcast and watching the video I think the the killer was a cold calculating chick
Jimmy McNulty
AG
I think I'm with you on that. The movements and motions just seem to be feminine to me as well.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think it was a scorned wife whose husband messed around with Bevens, or at least a wife who thought her husband did.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
It also just makes sense from a planning standpoint
Jimmy McNulty
AG
It's just wild they got away with it to this point. Some female just decided they need to kill this woman and they do enough to not get caught?
wbt5845
AG
I still hold by my earlier disdain for the Midlothian PD. Detectives are paid to solve crimes and bring criminals to trial. There is a murderer out there who should have been brought to trial.

Yes, it's hard. But that's why you're a detective.
Wheatables02
AG
wbt5845 said:

I still hold by my earlier disdain for the Midlothian PD. Detectives are paid to solve crimes and bring criminals to trial. There is a murderer out there who should have been brought to trial.

Yes, it's hard. But that's why you're a detective.

Not every crime is able to be solved. Some require help and some require big breaks. DPS assisted and still nothing. Sorry, it's just the truth.
wbt5845
AG
It is still a failure.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
The bigger failure would be railroading an innocent person
wbt5845
AG
Why are y'all so forgiving of a police department failing at finding this murderer? I bet if someone you know gets murdered you wouldn't be so cavalier about it.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I just don't see it as a huge failure, in general smart public will always defeat smart cops, I think the cops are doing everything they can do on their limited budgets and salaries. Contrary to CSI most killers are just jerking off all over the crime scenes painting the walls with their DNA

GarlandAg2012
AG
wbt5845 said:

Why are y'all so forgiving of a police department failing at finding this murderer? I bet if someone you know gets murdered you wouldn't be so cavalier about it.

Maybe you know a lot about this case that you aren't letting on, if there's no evidence that leads to a perp then it's better for it to be unsolved and for there to still be a possibility of bringing the perp to justice than to try someone who didn't do it. I'm sure the case isn't closed. I agree the family must be devastated to not have justice but the detectives can't invent evidence.
the_batman26: I guess yall need this, its something to take pride in. At least the Feds trusted us with the Space Center; and I seem to recall the Feds not having the best time in Dallas.
proc
AG
No witnesses
No DNA
No cell phone pings
No confessions

What exactly does a detective have to work with? I may as well tell you to build a plane out of straw, and then call you a failure when you can't do it. Go salt some fries.
culdeus
AG
That podcast makes a leap that it was a scorned lover of another one of her relationships. That it also could be a female seems interesting. I sort of get where they are going here.

This seems like something that would be easy to show the extent to which she was having affairs, and who the wife/gf was. they perhaps might not want all that info public, I guess.

It seems like whomever did this took great pains to establish a gait similar to the husband to frame him, perhaps unaware that he was out of town with an alibi. Or perhaps not. This puts the circle of people with that type of intel, with knowledge of her patterns extremely narrow. The list of people with that type of intel has to be in the 10-20 people total.

If the motive here was indeed adultery with cell phone pings, SMS, etc. this doesn't seem that hard a case to bring at least a few people in you figure out who she was sleeping list and work backwards.

But without some hard DNA and CCTV of a person linked to a car or something this is going nowwhere.

wbt5845
AG
Actually, her location at that time of the morning was very well known.

CG trainers are at given locations at pretty specific times, normally about 30 minutes before their campers show up. You can look any trainer up on campgladiator.com and know when and where they're going to be.

Since she took her camp inside in cold weather, all the murderer had to do was be in there and wait.

That being said, I had no idea it was so easy to get away with murder. At least, it's a piece of cake in Midlothian.
culdeus
AG
wbt5845 said:

CG trainers are at given locations at pretty specific times, normally about 30 minutes before their campers show up. You can look any trainer up on campgladiator.com and know when and where they're going to be.

Since she took her camp inside in cold weather, all the murderer had to do was be in there and wait.

That being said, I had no idea it was so easy to get away with murder. At least, it's a piece of cake in Midlothian.
Yeah, I get that. I still stick to the theory that the person wanted to be caught on video walking like that.

I would also have thought that she could have just been camped out on outside, but wasn't. There was a desire to be seen on camera. So they had to figure out how/when to get in the building, and where the cameras were and stumble around them enough to get seen and frame the husband and GTFO.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Don't get any murdery ideas, I do wonder if they reviewed the IP logs of the CG schedule website
wbt5845
AG
culdeus said:

wbt5845 said:

Yeah, I get that. I still stick to the theory that the person wanted to be caught on video walking like that.

I would also have thought that she could have just been camped out on outside, but wasn't. There was a desire to be seen on camera. So they had to figure out how/when to get in the building, and where the cameras were and stumble around them enough to get seen and frame the husband and GTFO.
This is an interesting theory. I have to think neither the husband nor father in law did it because those guys have to have been wire brushed pretty hard by the cops and Rangers. Anyway, they would have hired a pro who would have just popped her in the parking lot. Using a hammer shows a lot of hate - it's a nasty, bloody way to kill someone.

The wife of some one she was screwing makes sense. And if her husband found out or suspected, he was motivated to keep his mouth shut. It had to be someone familiar enough with CG to know the routine. It was mid-April, so camp normally would be outside. Someone had to know that, due to the rain, camp was going to be moved inside. So the murderer didn't know for sure they were doing the deed until that morning.

How she was smart enough to mastermind not leaving behind any evidence is beyond me, though.
akaggie05
AG
This thread has made me start paying attention to the case again. Was plodding through some of the more recent Reddit posts on it last night, and one thing I hadn't seen before was a dropbox link to some scanned log sheets / incident reports received via FOIA request. When the cops first got to the scene (Midlothian PD first, followed by 4-5x Ellis County Sheriff), they noted that her truck was parked in the covered driveway at the church entrance, with the passenger door open and tonneau cover raised up and tailgate down (with a bunch of equipment still in the truck bed, plus her cell phone and purse in the front seat area. Then they found her body laying just inside near the building entrance, surrounded by broken glass and (possibly?) a gun nearby. She apparently didn't get more than a few steps inside before the ambush started. One of the wilder theories that I read suggested that the person in the fake SWAT uniform wasn't actually the killer... and that they were possibly there as a lookout/accomplice to someone else waiting at the front for Missy.

Lots of redacted portions of the document so hard to tell much regarding the gun. However, they did engage nearly immediately with local management from Wal Mart to check on any recently purchased or stolen guns / ammo.

I also looked at a map of where the church is for the first time, and noted that it's practically right in front of the Midlothian airport. I've been on some test flights out of there for my job. There's a fairly long/secluded access road into the airport off of 287, and it would make an ideal spot for a getaway car or other accomplice to wait. From the small size of the airport, it's unlikely that anyone was onsite at the time of the incident, and I'm sure they've already explored any surveillance / possible eyewitnesses there.
wbt5845
AG
All the doors and back of truck being open is consistent with a CG trainer unloading her gear in prep of a camp. It was raining, So she'd pull under the awning, open everything up and start hauling it in.
akaggie05
AG
Right. The main data point would seem to be the timing element... she hadn't been there long at all when the attack started. Possibly even lured inside by the murderer before she even had a chance to do anything but open up the truck?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.