*****Official Destiny 2 PS4 Thread*****

198,541 Views | 2624 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by kill0509
FightinTexasAg15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
KidDoc said:

In D1 how much of the gameplay was PVP vs PVE? Does it just depend on what you want to do at the moment?
It was pretty well balanced. PvE had story missions, strikes, forge, raids, nightfalls, weekly activities.

PvP had multiple different regular modes, iron banner (once a month), and trials (every weekend).

So it mainly came down to how you wanted to spend your time playing. Both PvE and PvP provided avenues to the gear and weapons you needed to max out your character.

Quote:

disappointed in how limited the beta is, I thought it would be more of the full game not just a few zones
I agree. After playing last night I had fun, but there's not really too much to keep playing. You can only play the same strike and PvP maps so many times. Don't get me wrong - I've had fun with what I have played, but if you go and read reddit, the top complaints are that abilities take too long to charge and power ammo never drops - both of which I agree with and make the game a little less fun IMO. So I wish there was a little more to explore and do, just to get a good feel of the basics, considering some of these aspects are likely to change.
Bulldog73
AG
I still have a Walmart gift card so I may just get controller #4.
Saxsoon
AG
And best part is those are an easy tweak

I am still confused on the two primaries and moving fusion sniper and a shottie to heavy. They will need to look at how often they drop heavy and how much it impacts. I did feel like I had less options of play because of that
Saxsoon
AG
Cosmo tweeted out that they will be amending power ammo for launch. Even he only got one drop when going through the strike
titanmaster_race
Did anyone else think of Han Solo in carbonite when they first saw the shrine to the modular mind on the inverted spire strike?
titanmaster_race
Couple of thoughts:
- The gameplay (PvP and PvE) feels similar to Halo 4. I don't see it as a pro or a con, just thought it was interesting.
- crucible feels really, really different and it's going to take a while to adjust. Feels like there's not as much room for error/sloppy play as there used to be.
-I can't friggin wait to see all the new planets/moons/locales. Hoping to get all 3 of Titan, Europa, and Io

WHO WANTS TO START A TITAN-ONLY COLONY ON TITAN??
KidDoc
AG
Speaking of power armor I did pick up a nice power sniper on Warlock that hits like a truck. Did 900's per shot on the strike boss.

Thanks for the info, I just don't care for the PVP much at this point. The main pvp games I have played in the past were on PC with mouse and were TF2, Overwatch primarily. Those have fairly high TTK and not as much vertical movement.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CoppellAg93
AG
Played last night - got through the initial mission. I enjoyed it and am looking forward to the full game. It will be a bit of an adjustment to get use to the new lower left display - similar to the one in D1 but I wasn't totally sure what everything was initially. And yes, getting used to what types of weapons are in each class/slot, after being used to D1 for so long.

Going to try the strike and Crucible in the next day or two.

Loved the new graphics - even my wife commented on them.

PSN : BIGJSC94 (will most likely just play a Warlock)
Tex117
AG
Oh, how good it feels to be back., Ready for Sept.

Overall thoughts after a night of playing.

Ps4 Pro boost...makes the game look good. It is a graphical upgrade for sure.

Hunter: My gawd, bungie didn't do that class any favors. While there are a few little fun tricks to do, it lacks greatly in support considering both Warlock and Titan have significant support abilities. For pve, hunters will be relegated to the bottom once again (just like vanilla actually). Things change, I can change, I may be switching to titan or warlock.

Guns...Guns...guns do feel a tad different, and I think they shrunk the hitbox for head shots. You just have to put it on em.

The scout rifle is sorely underpowered. I mean...wow...its like throwing marbles.

That handcannon feels like year 1 handcannons...(Ie, awesome....good impact and decent range...though not AS far as year 1).

Submachine guns are okay...That exotic one that is like Zhalo Supercell was fun to use...otherwise...meh.

Sidearms...ugh....never liked them and that hasnt changed.

Its still baffling why they are doing the "two primaries" and a "power" slot. It feels weird in pve. The heavies are fine...but.....I don't know. A sniper just isn't a heavy.

PvP...I actually like the changes, but I can see how it would be crazy unpopular. I always hated run-gun shotguns, grenade, supers...The 4x4 and the focus on primaries really slows down the game. Better for me who sucks at pvp. (For people like dwit and forrest, these changes will suck).

Strike: Solid Destiny fare that feels like a continued evolvment from the last three years. Enjoyed it.

Echo what everyone says...supers and grenades took FOREVER to charge. (And I don't even use them all that much and I noticed it).

Overall, damn, Im ready for Sept. While some things changed, it will take all of 1 hour to get over it, and Ill be back mainlining this into my veins come sept.

FightinTexasAg15
AG
If anybody plays the new hunter class and doesn't know, pressing the different buttons can create combos:

R1: Basic Slash - Standard swipe attack
R2: Razor's Edge - Sends an arc beam forward after the slash.
R1, R2: Uppercut - *Not sure of utility. I think it helps target those pesky mid-air enemies (Dawnblade Warlocks). It's also just cool to pull off.
R1, R1, R1: Ground Pole Slam - Finishing move for mashing R1. Light AoE affect.
R1, R1, R2: Arc Palm Blast - Finishes your combo by you placing your hand out and blasting any foes ahead of you in a high damage (and stylish) cone of effect. *Highly recommend.
(Mid-Air) R2: Aerial Ground Slam - Large high damage blast around the point of impact.
koadie
AG
A few critiques so far for bungie.

1. Supers are a hair too long. One per pvp should be about right, but he length of time really only lets it happen at the end. There isn't much strategy in using them. It feels rushed and I see multiple at once.

2. I like their idea with the grenades and mele ability. But it too is a bit too long.

Strikes are strikes, i would like to see a few new mechanics. That said credit where credit is due, It the floor mechanic is cool on the inverted spire.

I haven't found a hand cannon I like too much, I do have an awesome scout rifle that has auto fire so far. That's really cool.

I'm enjoying the pole dancer, and the sentinel was really cool too. I'll probably make a warlock just for the sake of it.

Eph: 2:8
koadie
AG
Tex117 said:

Oh, how good it feels to be back., Ready for Sept.

Overall thoughts after a night of playing.

Ps4 Pro boost...makes the game look good. It is a graphical upgrade for sure.

Hunter: My gawd, bungie didn't do that class any favors. While there are a few little fun tricks to do, it lacks greatly in support considering both Warlock and Titan have significant support abilities. For pve, hunters will be relegated to the bottom once again (just like vanilla actually). Things change, I can change, I may be switching to titan or warlock.

Guns...Guns...guns do feel a tad different, and I think they shrunk the hitbox for head shots. You just have to put it on em.

The scout rifle is sorely underpowered. I mean...wow...its like throwing marbles.

That handcannon feels like year 1 handcannons...(Ie, awesome....good impact and decent range...though not AS far as year 1).

Submachine guns are okay...That exotic one that is like Zhalo Supercell was fun to use...otherwise...meh.

Sidearms...ugh....never liked them and that hasnt changed.

Its still baffling why they are doing the "two primaries" and a "power" slot. It feels weird in pve. The heavies are fine...but.....I don't know. A sniper just isn't a heavy.

PvP...I actually like the changes, but I can see how it would be crazy unpopular. I always hated run-gun shotguns, grenade, supers...The 4x4 and the focus on primaries really slows down the game. Better for me who sucks at pvp. (For people like dwit and forrest, these changes will suck).

Strike: Solid Destiny fare that feels like a continued evolvment from the last three years. Enjoyed it.

Echo what everyone says...supers and grenades took FOREVER to charge. (And I don't even use them all that much and I noticed it).

Overall, damn, Im ready for Sept. While some things changed, it will take all of 1 hour to get over it, and Ill be back mainlining this into my veins come sept.

So, this is me nerding out. But from a lore perspective what they did for the hunter makes a whole lot of sense. The titan and the warlock new class abilities really add to the space magic aspect of the game and go very well with the "legends" of those classes. The titan wall is very much the protector, and the warlocks have always been the group to study light and munipulation of light, and death for that matter but that's another part of the lore. In that sense the hunters are lone wolfs. The dodge roll and the relode is very very gunslinger esk.

That all the lore I have for you today, tune in next time I nerd all over the place.

spieg12
AG
Some random thought after a night of playing a warlock. (This will be long)

I hate the Nova bomb. It is horrible and useless and impossible to hit anything with because it travels so slow. Since I played D1 as a voidwalker more than any other class or subclass it's hard to get used to. I will never use that perk in the upper tree unless it gets changed in the final game. The lower tree which we can't access in the beta looks to have a better nova bomb perk that wont be slow.

I also don't like that they split energy drain into two separate perks now. One half is in the upper tree and the other is in the lower. Now you have to pick whether to regen health or the grenade. Can't have both.

The perk to drain super to add damage to your grenade sounds interesting but I totally forgot about it last night so I will try that tonight. For PvP this is pretty good since supers charge so slow you might as well forgoe it in favor of harder hitting grenades.

Blink was about the same to me. Used it for about 5 PvP matches then went back. What's noticeable is there is no balanced glide for voidwalker. It's either blink, extra speed or extra control.

Scatter grenades will absolutely melt anything caught in the radius, PvP, or PvE. But there is no room for error. Even a tiny bit outside the radius and you do almost no damage. Axions seemed about the same.

The rifts I really like, especially the healing one. It basically equates to the titan perk that would continually recharge your force barrier from D1. And if you keep standing in it, you get an overshield that disappears as soon as you step out.

The dawnblade subclass is pretty good. I enjoyed slicing things with a flaming sword. I like the midair evade perk. Goes well with the super since the super keeps you aloft. You have to be strategic with the super. If you pop it and just slash nonstop it is VERY short. Each swing uses a lot of super energy.

Dawnblade grenades are the same as sunsinger.

The jump gets balanced glide instead of blink which is nice.

As far as weapons go, I really like the changes. Being able to tag people with a pulse and then switch to a hand cannon for closer engaments was nice. I also like that I'm not constantly being killed by shotgunners. The TTK has been increased which seems to reward headshots more. 21-22 in the head with a pulse versus 14-15 in the body is a big difference. I tried a sniper once, the kick when being shot was crazy so I switched back to other things. I really enjoyed the regular fusion rifle. It hits very hard in PvP and PvE.

I dont like that melee doesnt kill in two hits on full health people.

I think I like that you can't collect heavy while being shot at. It hated it at first but then I realized that it forces you to finish your engagement before picking up the heavy so I think it's good.

Hopefully going to get into a hunter tonight and see how things go.
titanmaster_race
I'm going to nerd out here a bit about Nessus.

Nessus is a centaur, which is a name for a class of icy planetoids that orbit the Sun, but their orbits are highly perturbed and irregular because they are affected greatly by the gravitational pull of one of or a combination of Saturn, Jupiter, Uranus, and Neptune. Nessus' current orbit is eccentric (e=0.52, which is noticeably elliptical) and will take 122 years to complete. At closes approach to the Sun (perihelion), it is within the orbit of Uranus, and at farthest distance from the Sun (aphelion) It's orbit is well beyond the orbit of Neptune. It's orbit is inclined 15 degrees relative to the plane of the ecliptic (the plane in which all 8* planets orbit) which indicates that it is an extrasolar object that was captured by the solar system as it was passing through long ago.

Tex117
AG
Quote:

So, this is me nerding out. But from a lore perspective what they did for the hunter makes a whole lot of sense. The titan and the warlock new class abilities really add to the space magic aspect of the game and go very well with the "legends" of those classes. The titan wall is very much the protector, and the warlocks have always been the group to study light and munipulation of light, and death for that matter but that's another part of the lore. In that sense the hunters are lone wolfs. The dodge roll and the relode is very very gunslinger esk.

That all the lore I have for you today, tune in next time I nerd all over the place.
Nerd.

But seriously, its really unimaginative. Warlocks can eat effing grenades to start health regain, titans can pop their own small shields, big bubbles...etc.

Hunters, used to have the invisibility which was awesome in pve, it actually had utility...and of course the Nightstalker bow and smoke bomb was fantastic...Also...totally fits with the lore.

But no....Hunters were not shown the same thought that Warlocks and Titans were shown in how their abilities can synergize and relate to others.

The staff looks cool though.
Mr.KyleReed
AG
dwit392
Tex117 said:

I haven't really been following the game at all, but I have seen a few PVP videos. I do suspect PVP is going to be a lot different.

The problems with D1 PVP were various, but my main problems were with auto-aim grenades, large AOE grenades, and auto-aim melees which took no skill and were extremely powerful. One person having their grenade or melee up in a fight vs. the other person could cause a lot of BS. In addition, the net code was so bad that, one time, I actually saw myself die; I pressed my shotgun trigger button slightly too late; and I somehow shot and traded with my opponent.

I will say that Destiny, while not a great game, is extremely fun, fast-paced and addictive. The movement abilities made the game feel unique and made engagements different than any other shooter. I am concerned that the changes to movement are going to make PVP feel less fun, but I won't know until I have tried. I am very happy about the reduction of impact of grenades and melees. The game does look a lot more like Halo.

I will likely try the beta on PC, so let me know if anyone happens to pick up a PC copy. I still have no idea whether I will buy the game or not.
Tex117
AG
dwit392 said:

Tex117 said:

I haven't really been following the game at all, but I have seen a few PVP videos. I do suspect PVP is going to be a lot different.

The problems with D1 PVP were various, but my main problems were with auto-aim grenades, large AOE grenades, and auto-aim melees which took no skill and were extremely powerful. One person having their grenade or melee up in a fight vs. the other person could cause a lot of BS. In addition, the net code was so bad that, one time, I actually saw myself die; I pressed my shotgun trigger button slightly too late; and I somehow shot and traded with my opponent.

I will say that Destiny, while not a great game, is extremely fun, fast-paced and addictive. The movement abilities made the game feel unique and made engagements different than any other shooter. I am concerned that the changes to movement are going to make PVP feel less fun, but I won't know until I have tried. I am very happy about the reduction of impact of grenades and melees. The game does look a lot more like Halo.

I will likely try the beta on PC, so let me know if anyone happens to pick up a PC copy. I still have no idea whether I will buy the game or not.
"auto-aim grenades, large AOE grenades, and auto-aim melees which took no skill and were extremely powerful." They addressed this. Grenades are really slow to charge, melees take a few shots. You might like the changes.

Its not as "fast paced" there is little chaos. It kinda feels like a little medium between trials and 6v6 control.

I was more or less commenting that you and forest were top of the heap around here when it came to pvp and could keep up with the fast paced nature of it.

Slowing it down helped me out.
KidDoc
AG
Tex117 said:

dwit392 said:

Tex117 said:

"auto-aim grenades, large AOE grenades, and auto-aim melees which took no skill and were extremely powerful." They addressed this. Grenades are really slow to charge, melees take a few shots. You might like the changes.

Its not as "fast paced" there is little chaos. It kinda feels like a little medium between trials and 6v6 control.

I was more or less commenting that you and forest were top of the heap around here when it came to pvp and could keep up with the fast paced nature of it.

Slowing it down helped me out.

It is still too fast or this oldie with a controller haha. Been mouse fighting for 30 + years.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
emerick20
AG
Add me to list as well.

I should be on tomorrow night and much of the weekend.
koadie
AG
Go ahead and add me to the list.

TA handle littlebrotherag- PSN caholder

koadie
AG
Also, who's playing tonight? We get a group on to do PVP we could dominate via communication.

KidDoc
AG
I may be on later depends on wife as usual.

I thought Hunter would be the class I was least interested in but I did the intro mission and really enjoyed it. Do they have a bigger sweet spot for precision hits? Sure seems like I was getting more. The knife throw melee thing is so cool as well.

I went with Gunslinger, not much for melee specials especially vs bosses. I guess you could always swap out for trash vs boss but eh. Seems like I was getting alot more yellow damage numbers relative to the other two.
koadie
AG

if anyone likes to glitch.

FightinTexasAg15
AG
I'll be on
KidDoc
AG
I played briefly and there was another player with a land speeder type vehicle in the Strike. How do you get that deluxe edition or something?
Beezy2389
AG
A couple of enemies spawn with them, if you kill them you can hop on.
Streetfighter 02
AG
Yo
Tex117
AG
KidDoc said:

I may be on later depends on wife as usual.

I thought Hunter would be the class I was least interested in but I did the intro mission and really enjoyed it. Do they have a bigger sweet spot for precision hits? Sure seems like I was getting more. The knife throw melee thing is so cool as well.

I went with Gunslinger, not much for melee specials especially vs bosses. I guess you could always swap out for trash vs boss but eh. Seems like I was getting alot more yellow damage numbers relative to the other two.
I think you are just getting better. (and maybe using that hand cannon the hunter comes with).

The hitboxes and aim assist are a hair different than in Destiny 1, a little more unforgiving, but once you get accustomed to it, it sings just like D1.

That said, they need to turn up the volume/impact of the head shots that pop a head off the cabal. I think they are off on that. I played D1 again just to compare...and that is what I noticed..
FightinTexasAg15
AG
After playing 10 or so crucible matches last night, the name of the game seems to be teamshot now. Sticking together with your team mates is the best way to get things done
koadie
AG
FightinTexasAg15 said:

I'll be on
Got on around 10:30 ish and saw you, but you were in a strike so I didn't message you.

FightinTexasAg15
AG
If anyone is looking for a new headset

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073RSWTG7?tag=editorial08-20&ascsubtag=064363eb-bef0-4e54-abec-a8aa7b3be363

koadie
AG
Okay, the omolon pulse rifle hits like a truck. Finally got used to the hand cannon. Don't use a scout.

Edit because hunters are awesome:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DestinyTheCompletePicture/permalink/1825145034396705/

AGinHI
AG
Ok. So, that was pretty fun. I haven't played since summer of 2015.

I think my issue is, doing well in PVP requires several factors: obtaining the best weapons, a good team, and time investment. I don't know if I have the time, which would be fine, but when I played with some of y'all I felt like people were waiting on me and it just wasn't fun. I like that I can jump into BF1 and have a good game without any of the above requirements. The PVP in Destiny 2 seems a little harder. I can't even put my finger on it, but some have already discussed. (Side note: I went from around a .04 KD with Destiny, my first fps, to around a .8 before I quit. That took me like 8 months. In the Battlefield franchise I'm consistently above 1.0). I think I would get my ass kicked repeatedly in Destiny 2 and it just wouldn't be enjoyable--especially watching the opposition do all their stupid dances. I don't need to be a grown ass man shouting at the screen with my kids watching

Not to mention, as my boys have gotten older they've commandeered my PS4. I don't play as much as it is and when I do I feel like my processing and reaction speeds are slower.

“We don't have a government of the people, by the people, for the people. We have government of the people, by the bureaucrats, for the bureaucrats.”

-Milton Friedman
kill0509
AG
You keep saying this, but I really don't remember you being that bad man. The PvP on the Beta can be frustrating. My experience has been that you need either the scout rifle or the energy pulse rifle to really be able to compete at all on it. Besides, you can just be like me. Boogie's favorite quote with me around is that even cannon fodder is useful!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.