Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

56,477 Views | 453 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jim01
Predmid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Story time!

I've been trying to surprise my fiance for months to get her a switch and zelda. She is a zelda fanatic and saw the game and really really really wanted it.

So I finally find one yesterday and have it all set up in the living room and was just going to let it sit there under the TV until she found it.

Until I get a text yesterday from her
Future PredWife: "Guess what! I have a big surprise for you"
Predmid: "You're either pregnant or you bought a switch. There is no in between"
Future PredWife: "hahahahahahahahahah, you're so funny. "
Predmid: "I hope you're near the store you bought it so you can return it *sends pic of switch*"

Surprise ruined. We both tried to get one for each other.

Oh well. We'll just have to console ourselves with our new Console.
Sq1dvm
AG
A modern day Gift of the Magi.
titanmaster_race
got all 4 divine beasts, master sword, and the 13 memories. Gonna cook some meals and head to the castle.
Skitch05
AG
titanmaster_race said:

got all 4 divine beasts, master sword, and the 13 memories. Gonna cook some meals and head to the castle.

Did you go back and talk to Impa after you found the last memory? Make sure you close out that quest completely before the castle.
bthotugigem05
AG
OMG I MADE IT ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE GAME WITHOUT EVER REALIZING THE ABSOLUTE JOY THAT IS SHIELD SURFING WTF
titanmaster_race
don't think so. thanks
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
2 months and 125+ hours later, Ganon is defeated.
Predmid
AG
I think I'm at 35 shrines, about 45 korok seeds.

The minute I knew what they were for, I try to find them. And they're everywhere.

Pick up a random rock? Korok.

Apple in the basket. Korok.

Climb that mountain, oh hey, another korok seed platform.

Went exploring for memories and towers and completed my first divine beat in zoras domain. Holy **** that place is just gorgeous. So much more fitting an environment than anything seen before.

Made my way through the lost woods and goodness that was infuriating.

I'm loving this game so much.
HortAg09
AG
How do you view total game play hours? I haven't been able to find it.
Jim01
AG
Your user profile:

https://www.polygon.com/2017/3/8/14854136/nintendo-switch-activity-log-surprise
Predmid
AG
Took down my first "Major Test of Strength"

That was a battle.
titanmaster_race
Thought I had about 20+ hrs in the game. Turns out it was more like 50+
Pman17
AG
I think I have over 50 hours as well and still haven't beat Ganon. I skipped a whole area I was suppose to be at after the telescope, beat all of the divine beasts, went to that area and was like, dang, I needed those weapons! Farming and stocking up for the final stretch for Ganon, but my gf took over the Switch. I'll beat the game someday.
koadie
AG
Predmid said:

Took down my first "Major Test of Strength"

That was a battle.

Those are actually my favorite shrines.
Predmid
AG
Finally took my cues to learn its attack pattern, how to avoid getting hit by their attacks, and to think my way through the fight instead of just blindly charging in and dying.

Question: How in the hell do you take down the big guardian things though. I get slaughtered every time I try.
TriumphForks
AG
Guardian weapons that the mini guardian things drop work well but they break fast. Having a couple in your inventory isn't a bad thing if you are going up against big guardians. Also I haven't tried this, but rumor has it that if you can time it right, you can parry a guardian laser attack with your shield.....using ANY shield!! That includes wood shields, etc.

As a side note, count me in as one who utterly DETESTS the weapons durability system in this game. The only reason I haven't invested in some of those stronger guardian weapons from the lab is I am worried that I am going to shell out some fairly substantial coin for something that'll break anyways after killing like two guardians. It really sucks the fun out of combat for me.
dcaggie04
AG
Also, a single ancient arrow to the eye will kill them. You can also run up to the mobile guardians and chop their legs off. Sometimes this gets them to roll and expose their base with has a soft spot you can do damage to.
Sq1dvm
AG
The parry trick works like a champ. I try to hit as soon as the screen flashes and it usually works. Then I run up and hack off their legs. The leg hacking isn't necessary, but its fun.
chase128
AG
TriumphForks said:

Guardian weapons that the mini guardian things drop work well but they break fast. Having a couple in your inventory isn't a bad thing if you are going up against big guardians. Also I haven't tried this, but rumor has it that if you can time it right, you can parry a guardian laser attack with your shield.....using ANY shield!! That includes wood shields, etc.

As a side note, count me in as one who utterly DETESTS the weapons durability system in this game. The only reason I haven't invested in some of those stronger guardian weapons from the lab is I am worried that I am going to shell out some fairly substantial coin for something that'll break anyways after killing like two guardians. It really sucks the fun out of combat for me.
You can indeed deflect lasers if you time the parry right.

Investing in guardian weapons from the lab is a waste of materials since you need the materials to upgrade the ancient armor.

If you need good weapons, go kill a few Lynels. Weapon durability in this game is kinda hokey but you can easily overcome it. Once you get the Master Sword it's easier to cope with.
Line Ate Member
AG
The shield thing is true. Get close to it, and as soon as you see blue, parry and it will deflect back and hit them. It takes about 3-4 to kill a walker. I have had a few shift after they shoot so they don't take the full brunt.

I took down a ton of them in central hydra with a pot lid. It was fun.
Line Ate Member
AG
TriumphForks said:

As mentioned above, Lynel weapons are where it is at. I have a crusher that has 99 attack right now off of a silver maned one. After a blood moon, my wife has me run through a few Lynels to get her some weapons to quest and hunt shrines with.
TriumphForks
AG
I haven't killed one of those yet - where can you find them? Do the weapons last long?
Line Ate Member
AG
After we took care of all of the divine beasts, the Lynels turned into the striped purple and white furred ones like the bobokins. The ones I farm start in the Volcanic region right near the leviathan bones. If you travel east you will run into two of them. There are also three in the Tabintha plains, one by the maze, one further east and the one in the south plains.

The weapons are random. Either a sword, spear or club. The clubs are the hardest because the expert dodge gets broken when he hits the ground and make a shockwave. I have gotten some awesome swords and shields though. The clubs can double as ore hitters also.
chase128
AG
TriumphForks said:

I haven't killed one of those yet - where can you find them? Do the weapons last long?
They always spawn in the same locations with the same weapons after a blood moon.

The weapons have good durability and damage. Like all weapons, they can come with "damage up", "durability up" enchants on them.

Best thing to do is to Google for where they are located. Would be hard to explain in a post. As you start exploring you'll come across them and you can mark them on your map, too. You will have to encounter one when you go through the quest for the Divine Beat Vah Ruta.
HortAg09
AG
Got my final shrine today!
Line Ate Member
AG
For those of you just starting, try using time stop whenever you are looking for something. It is the Zelda item finder
HortAg09
AG
I just checked today, and somehow Im at 118 hrs of gameplay...
BenFiasco14
AG
Super late, but just beat Ganon. Afterwards was shocked to see I'm only at 13.73% completion ...
Predmid
AG
Any tips on how to get dragon parts? I always seem to be too slow to catch up.

Also, where does the monster part trading guy go after you find him the first time? I keep checking the villages at night and he never seems to be there.
Line Ate Member
AG
There are some guides online for the different drawings. Get high or in front and then jump and use your bow to get the different parts.

As for the monster guy, he is at every village on the outskirts. In zora, he is on top of the cliffs overlooking the city. In Gerudo, he is northeast of the city I believe. Where you can by your house, go to the lab and fly down. You will see him to the right if flying into town.
Predmid
AG
Also, I guess I haven't tried it in a while as I mad-rushed hearts early with no stamina containers. Just recently started getting more stamina after getting a row and a half of hearts.
Line Ate Member
AG
My wife and I have been playing together. I had to plead to fill up stamina after we got to 13 hearts. Best decision we made.
Predmid
AG
Watching my wife play is painful. (don't read this dear). She charges into the middle of the enemies, runs around without weapon drawn, gets slaughtered and then pouts about it being too difficult.

I mean, I'm not much better, but I can run from enemies faster than forest gump.
Line Ate Member
AG
My wife is getting a whole lot better at fighting. She is a lot more about stealth where I just going in swords swinging. We have learned that we have two very different playing styles.
Predmid
AG
I'm the "don't fight anything except for the bosses in the divine beasts or things that just really, realllly piss me off"

Though I did defeat a Magdula or whatever it was after it swallowed me whole/1 shot me while wandering through the desert.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.