Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

55,920 Views | 453 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jim01
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Figured this game deserves its own thread.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://www.nintendo-insider.com/2017/02/edge-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-review-scores-a-perfect-10/
titanmaster_race
I nearly preordered a Switch just for this.
bbattbq01
AG
titanmaster_race said:

I nearly preordered a Switch just for this.

I DID preorder a switch just for this. 350 bucks for a Zelda game... better be worth it!!!
I Like Mike
AG
Now I wish I could preorder a Switch for this. Will they be available to buy online on launch day?
tamusc
AG
CalebMcCreary06 said:

Now I wish I could preorder a Switch for this. Will they be available to buy online on launch day?

Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but my guess is that, knowing Nintendo, it'll be weeks if not months before you can reliably order or buy a Switch.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I read that Gamestops will have a limited quantity available for walk up purchase on launch day. You could get lucky. Worth a shot.
QBCade
AG
I think the Gamestops are opening at midnight Thurs to sell them starting at 12:01am Friday. If you want one, you may have to camp out.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

"A lot of open world games feel checklisty. This is a big Ubisoft problem, but it also came up again for Horizon Zero Dawn, and was one of my biggest criticisms for that game.

But with Breath of the Wild, it doesn't feel like going through the motions. You can make your own stories by raiding a Bokoblin camp, finding out a new cooking recipe on your own, chopping down some trees, or meet some wacky Nintendo character while you're traveling from point A to point B. The map isn't loaded down with billions of icons to fetch, just the active quest you've chosen at the time.

Take radio towers. Breath of the Wild has them. But they aren't too numerous, and most of them have their own little mini-puzzles to solve, as well as an interesting character to meet at the top that has a unique sidequest. Looking over the massive spires into the open world is actually fun, and you can use a telescope (with its own icon/stamp creator) to scout out new locations. They went above and beyond the typical open world blueprint."
All of this.
tamusc
AG
QBCade said:

I think the Gamestops are opening at midnight Thurs to sell them starting at 12:01am Friday. If you want one, you may have to camp out.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/gamestop-sell-nintendo-switch-launch,33707.html
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

German Gamepro explored the game. And gave it a 94/100 which is their second most elevated score ever given for a game. Furthermore, they are famous for being extremely brutal with audit scores. And don't give enormous scores constantly. The 94/100 score additionally means it's higher than any of their PS4 or Xbox One audits with the top games being The Witcher 3 and Uncharted 4. Those both got 92/100, and as you probably are aware as of now those games are both inconceivably good.
3rdGen2015
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

German Gamepro explored the game. And gave it a 94/100 which is their second most elevated score ever given for a game. Furthermore, they are famous for being extremely brutal with audit scores. And don't give enormous scores constantly. The 94/100 score additionally means it's higher than any of their PS4 or Xbox One audits with the top games being The Witcher 3 and Uncharted 4. Those both got 92/100, and as you probably are aware as of now those games are both inconceivably good.

Wow if reviews like that keep coming in, maybe I'll up my buy date so I can have some extra time while not much is out.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
BenFiasco14
AG
Will be getting for Wii U. Not sold on the Switch.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Rough translation (high school level French):
For me, Breath of the Wild surpasses Ocarina of time, and that is no small statement considering the quality of OoT.
3rdGen2015
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Rough translation (high school level French):
For me, Breath of the Wild surpasses Ocarina of time, and that is no small statement considering the quality of OoT.

Just signed up for in-stock notification emails from Amazon, Best Buy, and Walmart
tamusc
AG
http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/1/14780954/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-2d-prototype-gdc-2017
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
tamusc
AG
Kotaku calls it the best Zelda ever.

http://trib.al/aqdQ2MZ
tamusc
AG
Polygon gave it a perfect 10

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/2/14753500/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-review-nintendo-switch-wii-u
tamusc
AG
Another perfect score

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-review/1900-6416626/
tamusc
AG
And another perfect score

http://m.ign.com/articles/2017/03/02/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-review?page=2
tamusc
AG
And yet another

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/the_legend_of_zelda_breath_of_the_wild/b/switch/archive/2017/03/02/game-informer-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-switch-review.aspx
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
98 ON METACRITIC

http://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/critic-reviews

Quote:

If there's a better game out there than Breath of the Wild, I haven't played it. Nintendo has created, for me, the greatest game of all time. It's everything I want from a game and one of the most rewarding experiences I've ever had.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Currently tied for second highest rated game of all time behind OoT.
byfLuger41
AG
I'm probably gonna pull the trigger on a switch today just so I can play Zelda.

Suggestions on where I can order?
I Like Mike
AG
Good luck finding it in stock anywhere.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Try buying in person at a Best Buy or Gamestop. Both will have limited quantities for walk up sales.
Post removed:
by user
tamusc
AG
SheriffBarclay said:

Game looks awesome, Switch looks terrible.

Quote:

Nintendo would like you to believe that the Switch is launching later this week but no matter how convincing their initial sales pitch may sound the hardware that will be in stores on March 3 could more accurately be described as a beta test.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2017/2/28/14726580/nintendo-switch-launch-not-finished
I think it'll actually end up being a compelling product when viewed more as a mobile game platform that can easily be played on a TV if desired. You know, once us early adopters finish finding all the bugs for everyone else.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah, I'm not too worried. The hardware looks good. Everything else is unfinished and will slowly come via updates and patches.
hph6203
AG
It's Switch the OS that looks half-baked, not the hardware. The majority of flaws can be fixed post launch, and Zelda is obviously ready.

If Nintendo aggressively courts indie devs, and releases first party titles at twice the rate as they have previously on their home/handheld consoles, they'll have a nice mix of games that will drive sales of the system. Then they can turn their focus to optimizing the underlying features.

Personally the major criticisms I've seen of the hardware don't concern me at all, and they're getting enough interesting games to justify my purchase.
bbattbq01
AG
Got email this morning from UPS that Gamestop warehouse in KY has a package for me waiting for them to pick up!
bbattbq01
AG
hph6203 said:

It's Switch the OS that looks half-baked, not the hardware. The majority of flaws can be fixed post launch, and Zelda is obviously ready.

If Nintendo aggressively courts indie devs, and releases first party titles at twice the rate as they have previously on their home/handheld consoles, they'll have a nice mix of games that will drive sales of the system. Then they can turn their focus to optimizing the underlying features.

Personally the major criticisms I've seen of the hardware don't concern me at all, and they're getting enough interesting games to justify my purchase.

The hardware criticism that does worry me is the apparent Line of sight issues with the joycons. Review I read said that anything getting between the console and the joycons made them lose their connection.
tamusc
AG
bbattbq01 said:

hph6203 said:

The hardware criticism that does worry me is the apparent Line of sight issues with the joycons. Review I read said that anything getting between the console and the joycons made them lose their connection.
Yeah, that's the one lingering hardware issue that concerns me and is the reason I ended up preordering the Pro controller as well. Everything else can be fixed with OS updates, but this might a long term problem that requires a hardware redesign/revision.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.