Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

56,496 Views | 453 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jim01
AustinAg2K
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thanks. Turning off the motion controls will probably improve the game a lot for me. It's definitely my least favorite part.
BenFiasco14
AG
AustinAg2K said:

Also, I don't trust the old man at all.
LOL.

I think the old man is probably Zeldas dad. The old king. Something like that. Don't think he's bad
3rdGen2015
AG
Got out of the first region before going to bed last night. This game is massive. I'm excited to see how they do the temples in the second region, and how they escalate the puzzle difficulty. I've died a bunch of times trying to defeat the monster camps and beauty the rock monster that's hidden in the middle of the forest that's below the initial starting point.

Still get a hang on the cooking and stuff like that, I certainly wasn't prepared to venture into the cold to get to some of those initial temples.

My favorite thing so far is trying to figure out how to "Bond move" the monster camps. It seems like every one of them has either a bee hive that attacks them or a boulder you can roll into some exploding barrels.
tamusc
AG
The Pro Controller is a HUGE improvement for extended play sessions. Using the Joy-Cons with the Joy-Con grip is pretty cramped and actually uncomfortable for me, though I do have big hands.. I don't mind the Joy-Cons when connected to the Switch, though the Pro is still my preferred method to play.
jopatura
AG
Does anyone know if the DLC is playable across multiple profiles? I don't want to buy it twice for me and my husband.
BWD06
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

AustinAg2K said:

Also, I don't trust the old man at all.
LOL.

I think the old man is probably Zeldas dad. The old king. Something like that. Don't think he's bad

Met him around 2 am last night. Didn't realize I had been playing for hours at that point.
bbattbq01
AG
Huge is an understatement. Wandering for hours and I've barely scratched 3 regions. I've finished 11 shrines, have made it to another but it was a major combat trial so will have to come back to it!
Cloud
Definitely huge.

I've just been able to leave the great plateau. If the "starter" area is any indication, this is definitely going to be a top 2 probably top 1 Zelda game for me.
Marsh
AG
I went east first, as I'm sure many did. No spoilers, but I completed the 2 big things east. Teleported back to near the start and tried to head north... holy ****, most of these things can one shot me, even with 7 hearts. Some things in the east can do that as well, I suppose. Almost like fallout, where you can run into something that just destroys you instantly no matter where you go. I don't envy the folks who didn't go east, first tho.

The game is massive. Getting to the high point and flying feels so satisfying but I feel like I'm missing so much content below.:/
hph6203
AG
The art style and gameplay of this game is going to last a real, real long time.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I have never been this immersed in a game in my life. Everything feels so organic. Whatever you feel like doing, wherever you feel like going, you can do it. And the best part is, you have this MASSIVE overworld and yet it doesn't feel empty. (One of the weaknesses of both TP and WW.)

I absolutely love the new system of recovering health, cooking, selling etc. Rupees are pretty hard to come by, so it makes all the hunting/gathering really satisfying.

It probably doesn't need to be said, but the art style is just gorgeous. I constantly find myself stopping just to appreciate the landscape, and even to take snapshots.

And the puzzles in the game are just awesome. It's such a satisfying feeling when you figure out a way to get something done (and probably just one of many ways). Can't stress how great it is that the game does not hold your hand in this regard.

I've probably played about 16 hours now (is there a way to see the hours played?), and I still feel like I've only scratched the surface of this game.

I know it's early, but this might be my favorite game of all time. (Something I never thought would happen again after OoT.) This game isn't a 10/10. It's an 11. Absolute masterpiece.
bbattbq01
AG
Crystal Blue Meth said:

The game is massive. Getting to the high point and flying feels so satisfying but I feel like I'm missing so much content below.:/

I've had the same feeling... but at the same time I feel like I have a reason to go back and explore. I've been thinking about "open world" games and what I think Zelda gets so hugely right is there aren't question marks scattered around the map to draw you to explore. In the Witcher 3 I feel like I'm not really looking around the map... I'm just running to get the question mark. Zelda I'm genuinely looking around trying to find the secrets that are hidden EVERYWHERE.
Forum Troll
AG
I've found a few korok seeds so far during exploring. While trying to get to a tower in one section of the map, I ran into some giant mechanical spiders that 1 shotted me from an incredible distance.

I've died so much in this game compared to any other Zelda before.
dcaggie04
AG
Forum Troll said:

I've found a few korok seeds so far during exploring. While trying to get to a tower in one section of the map, I ran into some giant mechanical spiders that 1 shotted me from an incredible distance.

I've died so much in this game compared to any other Zelda before.
I died by getting struck by lightning as I was running across a field, beat that!
3rdGen2015
AG
I've died in both of those ways. I've found about 12 Korok seeds so far. If anything looks out of place, go investigate, they'll probably be there. I figured out last night that if there is one of those weird statues with a basket at its feet, put an apple in the basket and one will pop out. The seeds are used to increase your weapon/bow/and armor inventory spaces if you can find the giant Korok that does it.
Tex117
AG
I have played a few hours (off the plateau) and a little further. I haven't quite found the rhythm yet.

The control scheme is clunky. I switched the jump button and that helped, but its still not quite getting me there. Combat in general is clunky, especially when dealing with multiple enemies. (Granted, I was just coming of Nioh, so that could account for some of that).

The weapons breaking ALL the time is irritating. I can deal with a little weapon durability in games, but I can't get through a whole fight without having to switch out weapons. This is NOT fun. Especially with the clunk controls. (Im assuming this gets better, but for right now, ugh). Does the pro controller help?

The "dodge" mechanic (same as jump), again, this just isn't awesome. Could just take some practice.

The size and scale of the game I'm starting to finally get. And its working. Big time. The game is at its best, not when you are in combat, but when you are just cruising along checking out the nooks and crannies (and you are almost always rewarded when you do). This is a BIG different. It does feel organic and feels very right.

This is the game I thought (imagined) I was playing when I was 10 years old playing Zelda 1 the first time. I'm hoping with a little more time with it, everything will click.

On a related note, Horizon Zero Dawn for the Ps4 is also fantastic. Two very different design philosophies. I probably just need to pick one and stick with it, but man...they are both so good.

hph6203
AG
Weapon losses will become less and less irritating the larger your inventory gets.

I think you've made a mistake by swapping the sprint/jump buttons. Sprint on Y is more awkward than jump on Y in my opinion. The controls aren't ideal, but considering that jump isn't all that important outside of combat it's not that bad.

Zelda isn't going to be a super smooth on the combat front, the game is a puzzle/adventure game, not heavy on combat, so I'd temper your expectations there.

The shrines and puzzles get better and better as the game goes on.
Marsh
AG
I've done water, fire and wind temples. So far water has been far and away the most difficult. Fire was extremely easy. Wind was somewhat challenging but very short.

I love the game so far, especially because as I'm playing through it, if there is something i can't figure out, google doesn't always have the answer for me. Several side and shrine quests that you can google and there is nothing out there on the internet yet. Makes me think more instead of the "oh I can just google this" for instant gratification.
bbattbq01
AG
Crystal Blue Meth said:

I've done water, fire and wind temples. So far water has been far and away the most difficult. Fire was extremely easy. Wind was somewhat challenging but very short.

I love the game so far, especially because as I'm playing through it, if there is something i can't figure out, google doesn't always have the answer for me. Several side and shrine quests that you can google and there is nothing out there on the internet yet. Makes me think more instead of the "oh I can just google this" for instant gratification.

I died to boss of water beast last night before going to bed. Dungeon was fun! First one I've done.
Saxsoon
AG
Completed 10 shrines and gotten two heart upgrades. Probably going to go stamina next two and then keep a 2:1 ratio heart stamina after that
Forum Troll
AG
How many hearts are people carrying around? I just got to the Zora Enclave last night with some good weapons and plenty of supplies but only 4 hearts. I'm thinking about going to do some more shrines and expand inventory and get some ruppees before doing the water dungeon.
I Like Mike
AG
Forum Troll said:

How many hearts are people carrying around? I just got to the Zora Enclave last night with some good weapons and plenty of supplies but only 4 hearts. I'm thinking about going to do some more shrines and expand inventory and get some ruppees before doing the water dungeon.
Get at least 13 heart containers....trust me.
Marsh
AG
The water boss is pretty hard. He has extremely long range and almost any hit will kill you at 4 hearts. You can do it with 4 hearts but you basically can't get hit. I would try to look for a couple more hearts (through shrines). Alternatively, find a pot and cook something together that will increase your maximum hearts temporarily. I think I did it with 5 hearts but wish I had more wiggle room as I died 5-6 times before finally getting it.

Although there is an event mentioned above where you need 13 hearts, stamina will make your life so much easier for just a couple more points.
3rdGen2015
AG
I wasted so much on the water boss. I didn't figure out the intended way to kill him until the final blow. I went through every single one of my arrows, a couple of weapons, and basically all of my food. I should have died so I could reset everything and done it the correct way but oh well...

I am going through this game so slowly though. I am loving the exploring. Most of the night last night was dedicated to climbing the mountain just to the north of the Ancient Lab to save the dragon.

I also found a shrine towards the southeast that is encased in a rock that can only be removed with a lightning strike, but I can't seem to figure out how to open it. I've tried a lightning rod and a few other lightning weapons, but none of it works. It seems like I need to stand on top of it and get struck by the lightning, but isn't that insta-death?
Marsh
AG
3rdGen2015 said:

I also found a shrine towards the southeast that is encased in a rock that can only be removed with a lightning strike, but I can't seem to figure out how to open it. I've tried a lightning rod and a few other lightning weapons, but none of it works. It seems like I need to stand on top of it and get struck by the lightning, but isn't that insta-death?
If you're talking about the same one that I am thinking of (there's a shrine up on a rock face/wall, surrounded by 4 arrows pointing to it and 4 lightning bolts), you just have to keep shooting it with lightning arrows. Eventually it worked for me.
BenFiasco14
AG
So which temple do y'all recommend going after first? Wind?
Pman17
AG
In case you need to cheat.

World Map
http://www.ign.com/maps/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/hyrule
hph6203
AG
I haven't completed the wind temple yet, but the reward for water is more beneficial than fire and I assume wind.

And thanks for the world map, I'm going to keep using towers to locate shrines, but it's nice to know that I can have a reference to make sure I don't miss any. Have no interest in trying to find all the seeds without a reference.

I get more enjoyment out of games when I have a guide for locating stuff, sue me.
Pman17
AG
Anyone know where I can get bomb arrows?
Pman17
AG
Pman17 said:

Anyone know where I can get bomb arrows?
Nevermind, found a place
hph6203
AG
Definitely not a comprehensive map, there's stuff missing on the map that exists on mine. Still useful.
Marsh
AG
The gift you get from the bird place after beating that boss is really op. If I redid the game now I'd try to start there first. Awesome for covering more distance for exploring, several things in the other dungeons that can be completely skipped with the ability and it's on an insanely short cooldown.

The water gift is great too. Fire gift is pretty helpful against other Gannon boss fights but I haven't found much other use. Haven't used the Gerudo power yet, but will prob be helpful against the guardians.

I'm at 16 hearts right now with all four bosses down. I'm still enjoying the side quests but itching to finish the story. Not sure how long I last before just going to the castle.
bbattbq01
AG
Crystal Blue Meth said:

The gift you get from the bird place after beating that boss is really op. If I redid the game now I'd try to start there first. Awesome for covering more distance for exploring, several things in the other dungeons that can be completely skipped with the ability and it's on an insanely short cooldown.

The water gift is great too. Fire gift is pretty helpful against other Gannon boss fights but I haven't found much other use. Haven't used the Gerudo power yet, but will prob be helpful against the guardians.

I'm at 16 hearts right now with all four bosses down. I'm still enjoying the side quests but itching to finish the story. Not sure how long I last before just going to the castle.

I wish I had time to just play

Beat my first temple last night, water.

Then I snuck into central hyrule with my measly 6 hearts and got to the tower. Was fun dodging the guardian shots all the way up!
ABATTBQ11
AG
Really want to play this, but not into getting a new game system for it... Also no time with a 4 month old. Looking at that map, the name should have been Breadth of the Wild.
Saxsoon
AG
Have five hearts and a stamina upgrade. Have the divine beasts quest. Need two more shrines and get to 6 hearts. I'd there a recommendation on first dungeon to start

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.