Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

56,502 Views | 453 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jim01
Joe Cole
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How many of you guys are playing on Wii U ?
BenFiasco14
AG
I am
BenFiasco14
AG
Finally am now at the point where the world is completely open. TBH, a bit overwhelmed. Think I may take some time to shrine hunt and get more powerful, then get the master sword, then hit the dungeons.
Forum Troll
AG
Wii U here on pro controller mostly.
Jim01
AG
I've got 3 regions open. 5 hearts. A ton of temples. And I've yet to cook a single thing.
chase128
AG
Joe Cole said:

How many of you guys are playing on Wii U ?

Me. No issues. Some frame rate drops rarely but that hasn't bugged me
Sq1dvm
AG
Ugh.. finally getting a chance to play and waiting on the friggin update. Anyone get the amiibo? Guy at the game store was trying to talk me into it.
tamusc
AG
So you completed the opening plateau the hard way then?
AtlAg05
AG
I'm watching a streamer and apparently they give you free loot once a day. It didn't seem like anything amazing.
bbattbq01
AG
Sq1dvm said:

Ugh.. finally getting a chance to play and waiting on the friggin update. Anyone get the amiibo? Guy at the game store was trying to talk me into it.

I bought a few of them.
chipotle
How's the sound track?

3rdGen2015
AG
Well, I ran into this last night:

and the first thing that came to mind was this:

Forum Troll
AG
After some more exploring, realizing this game is basically OoT on steroids but in a good way.
spag.ag2003
AG
For those further along than me (I still haven't done any of the Divine Beast stuff yet), are there any old school (large and element oriented) dungeons?

Enjoying the game but the dungeons were always my favorite part of the Zelda experience - much more so than exploration and side quests. I know we get hundreds of shrines and an absolutely massive and beautiful open world but I feel like I'll ultimately be a little disappointed if we don't get at least a couple classic dungeons to tackle.

3rdGen2015
AG
The Divine Beasts are the dungeon equivalents
Jim01
AG
Finally cooked a few dishes
Average Joe
AG
This is a shot in the dark and I'm sure I know the answer, but anyone have a Wii U version they want to sell? A buddy is letting me borrow his Wii U to play it since he got a Switch.
Cloud
You'll have to pry it from my dead lifeless fingers.
Average Joe
AG
Same reaction I would have. I just hate the idea of buying a game for full price for a system I don't even own. I'll just get an Amazon prime discounted copy and resell when I'm done with it. Like I said, long shot.
3rdGen2015
AG
Got the Master Sword last night
koadie
AG
I've been told it's the greatest Zelda ever
coconutED
AG
Mixed feeling so far. I've only been playing for 2 days, so not very far into it. We'll see.

I'm not a fan of western RPGs and so am not very fond of the franchise's movement in that direction with many of the gameplay mechanics. On the other hand, they're actually rather tame in comparison to say, Elder Scrolls or Dragon Age.

I can do without the cooking system; would much rather get hearts directly from the field rather than having to go though an intermediate step (don't really have much use for the one time boosting effects of elixirs either). I find that having to go to a specific place to exchange spirit orbs for heart containers and extra stamina to be unnecessarily tedious.

Oh, and **** you Nintendo for resurrecting weapon durability from the ash heap of failed game play ideas. And it's ridiculous how fast they break too. Enemies are usually easy enough to avoid, and weapons are everywhere, but still. Just give me my basic level 1 sword and be done with it.

That all being said, I do like the increased emphasis on solving puzzles, and so far they have been pretty fun and not too drawn out. The voice work is actually pretty good and fits in quite nicely with the experience, contrary to how I feared.

There's enough good to outweigh the bad, and lots of potential. For now I'll press on and hope things get better.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
More like greatest game ever.
TriumphForks
AG
Just beat my first dungeon (water) and was incredibly impressed by the design and ingenuity. Nintendo always finds ways to keep things feeling fresh.

IMO the only thing keeping this from being a perfect game is weapon durability. The fact my crap breaks after what feels like 10 hits drives me crazy to no end. I have way too much anxiety over my weapons breaking to be able to enjoy combat in this game. 95% of the time I run away if I can which is very much against my normal play style for most other games.
bbattbq01
AG
I stressed about weapons until I had enough slots to keep the required weapons plus extra slots. I mainly use crappy weapons and only switch to good ones for the tougher monsters or bosses.

The stronger weapons also tend to last much longer before they break.

bbattbq01
AG
My biggest annoyance is cooking. I wish there was some kind of shortcut so I could cook the same thing five times quickly without having to go into the menu, collect all the ingredients again, exit menu and cook.
I Like Mike
AG
Do they have pre-set recipes?
bbattbq01
AG
No, but the recipes are all really simple mix a regular food with some kind of special food or mix an insect with a monster part. Sometimes I want to make 10 stamina potions and I don't want to collect the ingredients from my menu 10 times though.
Marsh
AG
Alright, I finished the game. No spoiler review.

I got through about 70 shrines (25 hearts and 2 full bars of stamina). Got the master sword. Got nearly completely upgraded armor. Visited all the memory sites. Finished all major quest line stories.

Ultimately, at this point, the game becomes a complete grind. Finding shrines seems to be the only meaningful thing to do at this point... and they frankly get very tedious when there is no other content to pair it with. Side quests become entirely meaningless. What are they going to reward me with? A piece of the puzzle to find a shrine, MAYBE? A sword that breaks in 5 mins? Useless and pointless.

So, I went and tested how far I could get to Gannon. Wow, castle is extremely disappointing. Was expecting much more of a level and instead got a couple climbs, 2-3 guardians and that was about it. End game Gannon seems weaker than some of the Gannon's you fight in the four dungeons.

Weak end scenes (I got the extended version). Can't play the game after beating Ganon (takes you back to your last save before beating Ganon).

Was extremely happy with the game until the grind and then the end.

Cloud
Crystal Blue Meth said:

Can't play the game after beating Ganon (takes you back to your last save before beating Ganon).

Don't you get a star next to your save file ad you can leave the castle and go do whatever from your last save?
Jim01
AG
Quick question. Are the nuts/seeds (can't remember their name at the moment) good for anything other than expanding slots? I have like 10 but haven't expanded any more slots thinking they'll be good for something else down the line.
Pman17
AG
I think they're just for slots. As you add more slots to a specific category of items it will cost more and more seeds each time.
3rdGen2015
AG
I've gotten through all of the Divine Beasts.

IMO, in order of difficulty (easy to hard): Air, Fire, Water, Ground.

In order of most useful power (least to most): Ground, Water, Fire, Air.

I don't know how long I'm going to wait to try to go after Ganon. I don't think he'll be super hard, but I'm going to overprepare I'm sure.
TriumphForks
AG
Any tips for catching horses? All I want is one that looks remotely like epona purely because I'm anal and don't want to ride some janky blue spotted horse. I spent like 30 min trying to crouch and sneak up behind one even with stealth food but to no avail.
QBCade
AG
Haven't played it yet - switch & games still sitting in box - so excuse the possibly ignorant question. Is it worth buying any of the Amiibos?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.