F-35 missing

41,997 Views | 454 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
Ulysses90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hagen95 said:

All your F35 belong to us.
All your F35 are belong to us.

Jeez, know your meme.

CSTXAg92
AG
45-70Ag said:

This tells me China (or some other enemy) has penetrated our military network and may be able to either impact or control (to some extent) our aircraft.
Ag with kids
AG
Robert L. Peters said:

Biz Ag said:

Missing F-35?

Oh, thank goodness.

For a minute there I thought it was an F-18.

Even worse it could have been f16…then what would we have done?!?
Blamed the F84
CharlieBrown17
AG
CSTXAg92 said:

45-70Ag said:

This tells me China (or some other enemy) has penetrated our military network and may be able to either impact or control (to some extent) our aircraft.

My wing is still flying tomorrow. And so is every wing I briefly checked the flying schedule for.

It's not uncommon to have airframe wide stand downs after mishaps. Especially ones where highly classified and expensive jets are left flying on their own.
Demosthenes81
AG
CSTXAg92 said:

45-70Ag said:

But most importantly, were everyone's pronouns respected?
Ag with kids
AG
whatthehey78 said:

My question(s):
1. What has the pilot said about the incident?
2. Why did he think it necessary he eject?
3a. Was the aircraft flying erratically or unstable? 3b. If yes...how so?
4. What has his wingman said about the incident?
5. Not a single "local" has offered a statement or speculation based on his/her visual where the plane is?

I could go on...but you get the idea.
Could this have to do with the hypoxia issues some pilots have experienced?
Ag with kids
AG
Demosthenes81 said:

CSTXAg92 said:

45-70Ag said:

But most importantly, were everyone's pronouns respected?

The pilot's pronouns were big/badaboom.
Viper16
AG
Tells me the pilot probably ran it out of fuel.

Pilot engaged the autopilot.....Jet maintained altitude as long as it could until the airspeed bled off to the point when it couldn't hold the altitude, transitioned to AOA and held that to impact.....hence, no column of smoke and fire.....in a heavily forested area or swamp...was difficult to locate. Maybe not squawking either.

Powers to be are ordering a 2 day stand down for safety briefings.......been there and done that in my career.

SOP to stand down when safety is an issue…..i.e. running out of gas. We had lots of safety stand downs in the early days of the F-16 at Hill AFB because pilots were doing stupid things……you do a worldwide F-35 stand down to tell pilots to stop doing stupid ***** No grand conspiracy at all. F-35s would be scrambled immediately if the threat dictated it

If the jet had impacted the ground with fuel....would have been found that day.

IMHO
#FJB

Ultra-MAGA Cultist :-))

Lex Talionis Trump 2024
Raptor
AG
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1058134448891954/?mibextid=6ojiHh
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

Ghost Mech

Quote:

If this were the case, why would they let everyone know they can do it? Wouldn't it be more prudent to wait until there were hostilities between the US and China and crash all of the planes around the world in a Pearl Harbor type attack?

I am guessing this is just another glitch in a long line of development issues. Probably a software error......
Viper16
AG
Zergling Rush said:

Quote:

If this were the case, why would they let everyone know they can do it? Wouldn't it be more prudent to wait until there were hostilities between the US and China and crash all of the planes around the world in a Pearl Harbor type attack?

I am guessing this is just another glitch in a long line of development issues. Probably a software error......
It's probably simpler than you think......read my post above.
#FJB

Lex Talionis Trump 2024
TriAg2010
AG
CSTXAg92 said:

This is ridiculous and completely baseless speculation.
Ghost Mech
So the pilot didn't check his fuel gauges before he took off and he couldn't find a place to land it in time once he noticed?

How often does that happen?
Viper16
AG
Zergling Rush said:

So the pilot didn't check his fuel gauges before he took off and he couldn't find a place to land it in time once he noticed?

Has nothing to do with checking his fuel gauge before t/o. Probably didn't monitor it properly. Good chance, based on known results...he didn't have the altitude or airspeed to glide for a safe landing.

Doesn't happen a lot......although lots of guys land in min fuel situations by not monitoring the fuel properly.

This is my unofficial speculation based on my 20 years of fighter experience.
#FJB

Lex Talionis Trump 2024
Ulysses90
AG
CSTXAg92 said:

45-70Ag said:

This tells me that there was a gross error in pilot judgment and every Marine in the air wing is going to get some remediation because of one Marine's $80MM error. Two days of safety discussions won't do dick about a foreign intelligence compromise of an aircraft and the Commandant knows it.
techno-ag
AG
Viper16 said:

Zergling Rush said:

Has nothing to do with checking his fuel gauge before t/o. Probably didn't monitor it properly. Good chance, based on known results...he didn't have the altitude or airspeed to glide for a safe landing.

Doesn't happen a lot......although lots of guys land in min fuel situations by not monitoring the fuel properly.

This is my unofficial speculation based on my 20 fighter experience.
Hours of boredom, few seconds of terror. You'd think the terror would be a firefight, not miscalculating your fuel.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
The Fife
CanyonAg77 said:

GAC06 said:

That F-35 is out of MCAS Beaufort
All the discussion was about it being near Joint Base Charleston.
Yep. They come in and do touch and gos with those and F/A-18s all the time over here and that's probably what those two were up to.
GAC06
AG
Or they just want to seem like they're "doing something" and it's a complete waste of time at best or counterproductive at worst like pretty much every other "safety stand down"
Viper16
AG
techno-ag said:

Viper16 said:

Zergling Rush said:

This is my unofficial speculation based on my 20 fighter experience.
Hours of boredom, few seconds of terror. You'd think the terror would be a firefight, not miscalculating your fuel.
Well, it's easier to miss "bingo" (fuel required to end the mission and return to base safely) than you think. I don't know the full afterburner fuel rates of consumption of the F-35, but I'm guessing it's well north of 65-70,000 lbs per hour......internal fuel capacity is around 18,000lbs. Do the math.

If in a simulated dog fight.....using afterburner when required, your fuel load can disappear quickly if not monitored properly.

Again, I'm only speculating the cause of the accident and the difficultly in locating the jet quickly
#FJB

Lex Talionis Trump 2024
Ag with kids
AG
Viper16 said:

Zergling Rush said:

If he's in a B, isn't there the possibility of transition to VTOL and just land? I'm assuming in this scenario he heard the Bingo warning.
Viper16
AG
Ag with kids said:

Viper16 said:

Zergling Rush said:

If he's in a B, isn't there the possibility of transition to VTOL and just land? I'm assuming in this scenario he heard the Bingo warning.
Anything is possible.

But if he didn't realize his fuel state (maybe bi**ching Betty didn't work) until too late and ran out of fuel, VTOL no workie.

Lots of what if's possible in this scenario.

#FJB

Lex Talionis Trump 2024
Ulysses90
AG
At least this F-35 crash temporarily diverts a bit of public attention from the looming possibility that the most recent Osprey crash with multiple fatalities was caused by the Hard Clutch Engagement phenomenon that the Marine Corps has assured Congress is not a serious issue.
Ag with kids
AG
Viper16 said:

Ag with kids said:

Viper16 said:

Zergling Rush said:

Anything is possible.

But if he didn't realize his fuel state (maybe bi**ching Betty didn't work) until too late and ran out of fuel, VTOL no workie.

Lots of what if's possible in this scenario.

Yeah...if you're way past bingo fuel, I doubt transitioning to a state that likely costs MORE fuel than just normal flight would be feasible...
FTAG 2000
AG
CSTXAg92 said:

45-70Ag said:

Na this reinforces my theory that the two jets had a midair. And the one jet was badly damaged and the pilot had to punch. The other one limped back to base.

The statement about training and safety protocols says they were doing something stupid and totaled a lightning in the process.
GAC06
AG
If they swapped paint it would be public knowledge. Hell there'd probably be pictures out by now. People talk, it's the reason I know who the guy who punched is.

Not everything is a conspiracy.
CanyonAg77
AG
GAC06 said:

If they swapped paint it would be public knowledge. Hell there'd probably be pictures out by now. People talk, it's the reason I know who the guy who punched is.

Not everything is a conspiracy.
Can"t be a guy, our resident experts have already told us its a woman. Or a Chinese woman. Or a diversty hire.

Sorry, it's hard to keep up with the experts here
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Right? Like those same experts telling us no way the plane was in auto pilot upon ejection.
Pizza
Right now we only know 1 thing...somebody's in trouble.
Anyone who chooses to ride a bicycle in the street is a threat to themselves, and others. If a vehicle strikes you accidentally, YOU are at fault; and the laws of physics supercede all else when you're in the path of a 2 ton killing machine. Know your place, stay off the road.
C@LAg
What did the jet have on Hillary?
CanyonAg77
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

Right? Like those same experts telling us no way the plane was in auto pilot upon ejection.
Autonomous mode. Might be autopilot, might be autoland.

And asking for confirmation is not saying "no way"
techno-ag
AG
Pluralizes Everythings said:

Right now we only know 1 thing...somebody's in trouble.
Depends. If they're a protected class, probably not.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
CharlieBrown17
AG
Since we're guessing, jet threw a weird series of warnings that hadn't been seen before. Dude behind the stick misinterpreted them and punched out of a perfectly good jet.

Next two days are going to be discussing wtf happened, how to not make rash decisions, and better punch procedures so you don't hang a F-35 up in the air just chilling until it flames out and turns into the most badass bass boat the Carolinas have ever seen in Joe bobs shed.
Jock 07
AG
$100 Million airplane and can't even get a low fuel light.
C@LAg
Jock 07 said:

it was labelled in gallons, but metered for liters.
BonfireNerd04
C@LAg said:

Jock 07 said:

it was labelled in gallons, but metered for liters.
I assume you're alluding to the Gimli Glider incident that happened in Canada back in 1983?

That was a slightly different issue, in that the navigation computer measured fuel by weight. So the plane was filled to 22,300 (or so) pounds of fuel instead of the requested 22,300 kilograms. It happened that the plane's on-board fuel indicator was broken, so the mistake went unnoticed, until the plane suddenly ran out of fuel about halfway through the flight.

Fortunately, the captain was an experienced glider pilot, and was able to land the plane on a decommissioned RCAF runway, a bit roughly, but with no serious injuries. The plane was even repaired and reused for another 25 years.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.