F-35 missing

42,004 Views | 454 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
Ag with kids
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

As a side note, one of the partners that we're working with in the UAS world actually has their system named Skynet...

I find it quite amusing..
chickencoupe16
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

chickencoupe16 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Bellards Boys said:

No movie...been doing it for decades
Doing what?
https://breakingdefense.com/2021/11/a-mothership-finally-recovers-darpas-gremlins-drone-but-its-not-all-good-news/

Well, that's cool, but the other poster was implying it was Chinese who were grabbing the drone...with an American-registered plane.
Once again, play dumb if you want but remember to keep the act separate from reality.
Ag with kids
AG
fc2112 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

samurai_science said:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/france-fighter-jet-ejection-scli-intl/index.html

A 64-year-old man accidentally ejected himself from a fighter jet at 2,500 feet

An untrained old guy, not a pilot, not even an aviation buff, has exactly what to do with an elite Marine Corps aviator?

Pretty much impossible to accidently eject from an F-35. The large, bright yellow and black striped handle is quite hard to mistake for anything else.
I reach down...

Between my legs and...

Ease the seat back...
agent-maroon
AG
MOM!!! This fighter jet followed me home. Can we keep it?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CanyonAg77
AG
chickencoupe16 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

chickencoupe16 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Bellards Boys said:

Doing what?
https://breakingdefense.com/2021/11/a-mothership-finally-recovers-darpas-gremlins-drone-but-its-not-all-good-news/

Well, that's cool, but the other poster was implying it was Chinese who were grabbing the drone...with an American-registered plane.
Once again, play dumb if you want but remember to keep the act separate from reality.
For someone complaining about playing dumb, you're well into it.

The "American registered" part was a joke, because the plane had an obvious American N number, and I had even asked what movie it was from. That very plane has been used in several roles, including a couple of movies.

I didn't know it was an actual drone catch.

One more try, if "Bellards Boys" wasn't implying the Chinese took the plane, using a stock photo of an unrelated drone catch, exactly what was he implying?
CanyonAg77
AG
Already up on Facebook Marketplace

chickencoupe16
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

chickencoupe16 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

chickencoupe16 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Bellards Boys said:

Doing what?

For someone complaining about playing dumb, you're well into it.

The "American registered" part was a joke, because the plane had an obvious American N number, and I had even asked what movie it was from. That very plane has been used in several roles, including a couple of movies.

I didn't know it was an actual drone catch.

One more try, if "Bellards Boys" wasn't implying the Chinese took the plane, using a stock photo of an unrelated drone catch, exactly what was he implying?
I provided a link showing that the drone recovery wasn't a movie and you went on about how Bellards Boys was was wrong because this is an American plane. It was a dumb "gotcha" that never made any sense, not a joke.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Uhh, South Carolina, missing jet, anyone blaming another Chinese spy balloon?

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
Caliber
AG
Well they've got everyone hyped about a missing F35... So, what is it that we really are not supposed to be pay attention to today?
CanyonAg77
AG
So no answer as to what Bellard's Boys meant?
fooz
Caliber said:

Well they've got everyone hyped about a missing F35... So, what is it that we really are not supposed to be pay attention to today?
Old Army Metal
AG
So did it get the Covid vaccine or not
agwrestler
AG
Caliber said:

Wake up people!
chickencoupe16
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

So no answer as to what Bellard's Boys meant?
There is no question that he meant the Chinese captured the drone. Your confusion is that he never implied it was done with an American aircraft and that similar technology is real and not only found in movies.
aggiehawg
AG
Lake Moultiie is man made and about 30 feet at its deepest. Lake Marion, also man made has an everage depth of just under 14 feet but a deep part that is over 70 feet deep.

If the jet crashed into either one of those lakes, shouldn't be that difficult to find some type of wreckage.
CSTXAg92
AG
The American public is so damn gullible it almost hurts sometimes.

I mean, the idea that we can't find our own downed F35 (that a pilot ejected from?!?) is about as ridicules as Hillary's response when she was asked did she wipe her server, "What? Like with a cloth?"

Every iPhone and Android cellphone in the world can be geolocated to within feet of its location within seconds of a click of a button. Airplanes in the air have flight plans filed and are on radar from takeoff to landing. The telemetry that a fighter jet (and ejection seat!) transmit the instant that ejection handle is pulled is military grade, industrial strength compared to any consumer cellphone. The idea that a F35 fighter jet can't be found after the pilot ejected is just ludicrous and infuriating. Not infurating because it can't be found (I **GUARANTEE** it's location is ABSOLUTELY known), but because the 'we lost an F35' lie would be told in the first place. Trust me on this... if the military did somehow lose a plane, do you think anyone would **EVER** know about it?? HELL NO.
The Fife
Yeah, they aren't exactly huge IMO. There should be visible floating debris somewhere if that's where it went.
Ag with kids
AG
CSTXAg92 said:

I mean, the idea that we can't find our own downed F35 (that a pilot ejected from?!?) is about as ridicules as Hillary's response when she was asked did she wipe her server, "What? Like with a cloth?"

Every iPhone and Android cellphone in the world can be geolocated to within feet of its location within seconds of a click of a button. Airplanes in the air have flight plans filed and are on radar from takeoff to landing. The telemetry that a fighter jet (and ejection seat!) transmit the instant that ejection handle is pulled is military grade, industrial strength compared to any consumer cellphone. The idea that a F35 fighter jet can't be found after the pilot ejected is just ludicrous and infuriating. Not infurating because it can't be found (I **GUARANTEE** it's location is ABSOLUTELY known), but because the 'we lost an F35' lie would be told in the first place. Trust me on this... if the military did somehow lose a plane, do you think anyone would **EVER** know about it?? HELL NO.
Well...part of the point of the F-35 is that its radar signature is tiny, so seeing it on a radar is not something I'd hope we could do easily...
nortex97
AG
aggiehawg said:

Lake Moultiie is man made and about 30 feet at its deepest. Lake Marion, also man made has an everage depth of just under 14 feet but a deep part that is over 70 feet deep.

If the jet crashed into either one of those lakes, shouldn't be that difficult to find some type of wreckage.
Hang on, were any of Obama's servant staff involved?
The Kraken
AG
CSTXAg92 said:

Okay, Sherlock...so why would the USMC say they haven't located it when they actually know where it's at?
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
CSTXAg92
AG
Ag with kids said:

CSTXAg92 said:

Well...part of the point of the F-35 is that its radar signature is tiny, so seeing it on a radar is not something I'd hope we could do easily...
Even without a RADAR signature, we know where the plane took off from, we know the destination, we know the flight path between the two points. The telemetry from the ejection seat will tell us the coordinates, altitude, speed, etc when the ejection handle was pulled, etc. Modeling the likely location of the plane from that data (and who knows what else the transponder collects and transmits) is absolutely something our military can do.
Secolobo
AG
aggiehawg
AG
So was there another jet accompanying the one that's mssing? And it returned to base safely?

Quote:

One of the most sophisticated and expensive fighter jets in the world is missing somewhere in South Carolina after a pilot was forced to eject for an unknown reason while leaving his F-35 with stealth capabilities flying in a 'zombie state.'
The incident occurred over North Charleston around 2pm Sunday as two jets, worth around $100 million each, were flying side-by-side.
The pilot ejected and parachuted safely into a residential area. He was taken to a local hospital, where he was in stable condition, said Maj. Melanie Salinas. The pilot's name has not been released.
LINK
CSTXAg92
AG
The Kraken said:

CSTXAg92 said:

Okay, Sherlock...so why would the USMC say they haven't located it when they say they haven't ?
You're almost asking the right question. I think the better question is "why are we hearing about this at all?"

Do you realize how embarrasing it has to be for the chain of command to have to say, "we lost a F35" I'd say it's so embarrasing (because it smacks of ineptitude) that if it did actually happen, we (the public) would NEVER hear about it. They'd keep it under wraps.
GAC06
AG
rebag00 said:

MCAS Beaufort only has one current F-35B squadron - VMFAT-501. The "T" stands for training. They have been providing the pilots for the entire USMC F-35B pipeline up until about a year ago. All of the rest of the squadrons at Beaufort are F/A-18C/D units (or have been placed into cadre awaiting operational F-35B deliveries). The pilot and his wingman for this F-35B flight were likely a JO trainee and a (slightly) more senior training officer.

They also train senior guys transitioning to the F-35 or returning from a non-flying assignment. That seems to be the case here if what I'm hearing is true.
The Kraken
AG
Because the military always releases information about downed aircraft. They can't hide the fact that someone ejected over civilian airspace....even if they tried, that info would get out.
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
CSTXAg92
AG
The Daily Mail article posted above reports the pilot had the jet in auto-pilot when they ejected, and that for unknown reasons, the F-35's transponder wasn't working at that time. The article also reports there was another plane flying next to it at the time. The article says an F-35 has a range of up to 1,200 miles but it's unclear how much fuel was in the jet at the time that it went missing.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12530467/Mystery-deepens-missing-100m-stealth-fighter-officials-reveal-F-35-carried-flying-autopilot-zombie-mode-pilot-ejected-South-Carolina-no-evidence-jet-crashed.html

Here are my questions:

1) How and why did the transponder not work
2) Why didn't the other pilot follow the jet until it crashed, or just shoot it down to prevent it from crashing in a public place
3) Since another jet was flying along side the jet whose pilot ejected, using the fuel logs and flight info we should be able to calculate how far the jet could fly before running out of fuel and crashing.

Something's not right in this whole equation.
Solo Tetherball Champ
Stat Monitor Repairman
This story is wild.
GAC06
AG
Typically only the section leader will have their transponder on. Planes flying in close formation will cause problems when both squawking, and the two ship is handled as a single entity by ATC.
12atm
Every plane is the sky is tracked, they know exactly where it is.
CSTXAg92
AG
Another question... When Maverick ejected, Goose did too. Why are we hearing about only 1 pilot with the F-35? Does a F-35 pilot not have a wingman?
FTAG 2000
AG
aggiehawg said:

So was there another jet accompanying the one that's mssing? And it returned to base safely?

Quote:

One of the most sophisticated and expensive fighter jets in the world is missing somewhere in South Carolina after a pilot was forced to eject for an unknown reason while leaving his F-35 with stealth capabilities flying in a 'zombie state.'
The incident occurred over North Charleston around 2pm Sunday as two jets, worth around $100 million each, were flying side-by-side.
The pilot ejected and parachuted safely into a residential area. He was taken to a local hospital, where he was in stable condition, said Maj. Melanie Salinas. The pilot's name has not been released.
LINK

Reading between the lines, I think they had a mid-air collision. The one who ejected thought the plane was going to crash so punched out.

It's a **** show, but what part of our military isn't under Milley?
Stat Monitor Repairman
Yeah man, that makes a lot of sense.
FTAG 2000
AG
CSTXAg92 said:

Another question... When Maverick ejected, Goose did too. Why are we hearing about only 1 pilot with the F-35? Does a F-35 pilot not have a wingman?
Single-man jet.

He had a wingman, but reading between the lines, that jet may have been damaged in a collision as well.

First priority for the wingman if one ejects in a situation like this would be to orbit and maintain visual on downed crew, not follow the jet to impact.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.