F-35 missing

42,005 Views | 454 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
plain_o_llama
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ag with kids said:

Did they find the cause of that mishap?
https://www.military.com/daily-news/2023/03/06/new-f-35s-are-being-test-flown-again-following-texas-crash.html

The F-35 Lightning II Joint Program Office announced last month that engineers had identified a "rare system phenomenon" in F135 engines noticed during inspections that followed the Dec. 15 mishap, when a variant of the jet crashed on a runway at Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth. Lockheed Martin, the defense contractor for the F-35, said the company is now delivering new jets.

"We resumed F-35 production flight operations today following a F135 engine mitigation action," Lockheed Martin tweeted Monday. "Safety remains our top priority as we continue to produce the world's most advanced fighter aircraft."

A Marine Corps variant of the aircraft, an F-35B, crashed during a vertical landing attempt Dec. 15.
pdc093
GAC06 said:

Do you know the pilot?

Viper16
AG
LMCane said:

why wouldn't the pilot have known how much fuel was in the aircraft at the time of the ejection?

or the USMC knowing when they filled up the F-35 that morning with fuel- and then just calculate how many minutes it had been airborne before ejection to determine flight radius of fuel?
Fuel, as I speculated earlier, wasn't the issue.
#FJB

Ultra-MAGA Cultist :-))

Lex Talionis Trump 2024
aTm2004
AG

Viper16
AG
aTm2004 said:

The music version is awesome!!
#FJB

Lex Talionis Trump 2024
fka ftc
Ned Beatty's family is suing for copyright infringement regarding the sound made by the "witness".
Loyalty
AG
Ag with kids said:

Loyalty said:

In all the news reports viewing the impact area I couldn't help but feel it looked staged. No signs of debris, just a charred area in the woods. Show some evidence of a burnt up engine or a piece of debris.

Until they show proof (which they wont) then the "crash area" is staged IMO.
YEAH!!!!

Metal can't burn up at those low temperatures!!!!!

Something along the lines of this pic of a burned up jet...not everything turns to ashes.
Loyalty
AG
Old Army Ghost said:

Loyalty said:

In all the news reports viewing the impact area I couldn't help but feel it looked staged. No signs of debris, just a charred area in the woods. Show some evidence of a burnt up engine or a piece of debris.

Maybe it is, who knows?

On second thought, nawww, the American government or military never has nor never would try to deceive the American public. Silly me.
torrid
AG
aTm2004 said:

Ain't nobody got time for that.
fka ftc
Believe all eyewitness accounts, particularly when they come from an excited Southerner.

JFABNRGR
AG
GAC06 said:

Supposedly the weather was poor with low ceilings and visibility. Likely the controlled ejection was due to inability to recover in IMC, is my guess.

Curious to see what happens to the mishap pilot's career.
Probably end up as an ATC or maybe back in the cockpit for one of the Pax Carriers....SWA or somebody.

Our friends son is on rotation overseas in the F35. I will see if I can find out some info and If I can share it.
GAC06
AG
Pilots don't just become ATC. Pilot is a Colonel slated to command an O-6 level F-35 unit.
Viper16
AG
GAC06 said:

Pilots don't just become ATC. Pilot is a Colonel slated to command an O-6 level F-35 unit.
I'm guessing that may not happen now......
#FJB

Lex Talionis Trump 2024
aggiehawg
AG
Viper16 said:

GAC06 said:

Even if the crash was not his fault but was due to a malfunction?
fka ftc
aggiehawg said:

Viper16 said:

GAC06 said:

Ehh, this is the Biden run military. As long as the pilot identifies as a trannie from here out they are probably given a star or two and invited to receive the Medal of Honor.
Viper16
AG
aggiehawg said:

Viper16 said:

GAC06 said:

In the scenario you present, he's probably still on course to take command.

Edited to say.....

There are other scenarios floating around......we will just have to wait and see.

#FJB

Lex Talionis Trump 2024
Ag with kids
AG
Loyalty said:

Ag with kids said:

Loyalty said:

YEAH!!!!

Something along the lines of this pic of a burned up jet...not everything turns to ashes.
Well, a large part of the F-35 was composite.
Loyalty
AG
Ag with kids said:

Loyalty said:

Ag with kids said:

Loyalty said:

YEAH!!!!

Well, a large part of the F-35 was composite.
inconvenient truth
GAC06 said:

*was
Ulysses90
AG

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12542479/f35-crash-south-carolina-storms-bad-weather.html

Quote:

A F-35 jet could have crashed on Sunday due to poor weather in South Carolina, new audio suggests - as questions mount as to why the disastrous training exercise was allowed to proceed.

The F-35B Lightning II which the unnamed Marine pilot was flying is believed to be at risk of malfunctions if it flies in thunderstorms, according to a Forbes investigation in November.

Its sister jet, the F-35A, is more severely affected and cannot fly within 25 miles of lightning.

The issue lies within the F-35's OBIGGS (Onboard Inert Gas Generation) system, which pumps nitrogen-enriched air into its fuel tanks to inert them, preventing the aircraft from exploding if it is struck by lightning.

'F-35B and C variants have some of the same OBIGGS issues as the F-35A, but have been able to alleviate operational impacts,' said Chief Petty Officer Matthew Olay, spokesman for the F-35 Joint Program Office, in an email to Forbes last year.

So, they named it the "Lightening II" as an inside joke? More like "STFA from Lightening."

Quote:

But questions are now being asked as to why it was allowed to fly, given the proximity to storms and the concerns about its sister planes.

The National Weather Service issued a 'special weather statement' for the Charleston region, warning of 55mph winds.
Could it be that a command slated senior pilot said, "Weather-schmether, I'm the senior guy on deck in Charleston today and we're going to fly"? Sadly, that would not entirely surprise me.
nortex97
AG
The Lightning II can't fly within 25 miles of lightning. Wow. Just, wow.
Jock 07
AG
100 mil/plane and can't even fly near weather. Brilliant.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Do we have navy ships that can't go into deep water until at least 30 minutes after the crew eats?

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
Gilligan
AG
Is there an abridged recap / summary to date?

The Kraken
AG
One of the things that makes the F35 stealthy, the use of composite materials, also makes it vulnerable to damage from lightning strikes. It's an engineering design issue that all aircraft that use composite skins (such as the 787 and the Airbus A350) have to address. Not sure why this aircraft has had so many continuing challenges with it.
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
aTmAg
AG
Do you guys think that the military didn't know about this lighting "limitation"? They sign off on a million exit criteria before the plane even goes into production. They don't care about things like this. Why? Because, like airliners, they aren't going to fly $100M aircraft through a thunderstorm when they can so easily avoid it. That would be stupid for zero gain. It's not like LM flew ever closer to lightning storms until they came up with the right number in flight test. If they did that it would be something like 24.483 not a round 25. In fact, it's clear to me that the 25 number was decided beforehand. That the government required LM to support flying up to within 25 miles of a thunderstorm and LM didn't even bother testing anything closer. Because nobody cares about anything closer than that.
doubledog
nortex97 said:

That is something that our enemies do NOT need to know.
GAC06
AG
I think that anyone with any sense knows that planes avoid lightning
BQ78
AG
That's a fair piece away from thunderstorms. I used to only have to stay 10 miles away and would still see commercial airlines pass through a two mile gap in a storm.

And this is not classified or how the plane will operate in wartime, just a safety factor for training missions.
Ulysses90
AG
aTmAg said:

Do you guys think that the military didn't know about this lighting "limitation"? They sign off on a million exit criteria before the plane even goes into production. They don't care about things like this. Why? Because, like airliners, they aren't going to fly $100M aircraft through a thunderstorm when they can so easily avoid it. That would be stupid for zero gain. It's not like LM flew ever closer to lightning storms until they came up with the right number in flight test. If they did that it would be something like 24.483 not a round 25. In fact, it's clear to me that the 25 number was decided beforehand. That the government required LM to support flying up to within 25 miles of a thunderstorm and LM didn't even bother testing anything closer. Because nobody cares about anything closer than that.
They absolutely knew. However, if the JPO JSF was under so much pressure (which thy definitely were) to field the aircraft and declare initial operational capability (IOC) they would bend the exit criteria and allow a "fair weather" JSF to be fielded initially. That deferral would be an occasion for celebration at Lockheed Martin because any time you can get the solution to a hard problem deferred from Block 1 to Block 2 deliveries, that's more profit in a cost-plus contract.

Industry never gives the government (taxpayer) a feature for free. If it is not explicitly included in the acquisition program baseline as a key performance parameter, key system attribute, or additional system attribute then it's not going to be in the spec for the deliverable.

The "lightning problem" can be transformed from a failure to deliver a basic functional product to a future enhanced variant of the aircraft for which the vendor takes credit in advertising for solving. Behold, the next marketing campaign for the JSF is the "All Weather JSF" when they get the lightning problem solved to some level of satisfaction for DOT&E. Fixing deferred problems that were removed from the baseline and then advertising it as an enhanced platform is what happened with both the Harrier "B" and the Phantom "II".

[As an aside, the DoD had a really good guy, Shay Assad, in a senior position to fight industry on this type of bull**** but he was eventually removed and reassigned to a position where he could not get between industry and the ASD AT&L budgets.

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/04/defense-pentagon-spending-assad-221776

The Big 5 hated Shay because he was a traitor to his class (retired VP at Raytheon) and knew all the tricks. Industry spend untold millions lobbying behind the scenes to get him removed from his position at the Pentagon as Director for Pricing. Shay was saving the government billions of dollars through his stubborn negotiating tactics and exposing waste.

https://www.defenseone.com/policy/2018/12/shay-assad/153591/

Industry "got him" by pointing out that he insisted on living in Boston and his travel to D.C. was being paid by DoD. The ~$500k for travel back and forth between Boston and DC over the course of seven years was a public "gotcha" for ASD AT&L Ellen Lord (Trump's SecDef) so she transferred Assad to DCMA where he was not in a position to hold industry's feet to the fire on contract negotiations but only to monitor compliance after contracts were awarded. I believe he just retired shortly after being reassigned because he really didn't need the money. This is how the game is played.]
fka ftc
Nah, the Chinese will see us a fix for $1 billion a plane, plus 10% to be held by H for the Big Guy.
rednecked
AG
Ag with kids said:

aggiehawg said:

Sorry to keep bothering you but just saw this.

Quote:

The pilot who ejected himself from the F-35 was discharged from the hospital on Monday afternoon, according to the official.

The pilot, whose name has not been released, had no major injuries and was in stable condition before being discharged, the official said. No civilian injuries have been reported from the incident.

The pilot ejected himself from the aircraft at altitude of approximately 1,000 feet "and one mile north of the Charleston International Airport," according to the official. The pilot then landed safely in a residential backyard.
Isn't that pretty low to get the chute opened in time to slow descent into the ground?

Also, if the craft was at 1,000 feet wouldn't it have continued at that altitude until the crash for another 60-80 miles?

ETA: Sorry, forgot the link LINK

Here's a Thunderbird ejecting after he fubared his flight...

Still one of the coolest crash photos with pilot ejected...

Gets extra points because it was a Rooskie...
I'm sure it's been said before but I don't see the problem. Looks to me like he stuck the landing!
fka ftc
Russians probably pulled that plane out and put it back into service.
GAC06
AG
Not arguing the point about upgrades over the life of a platform but that's not even a picture of a night attack harrier. The "B" in AV-8B refers to an almost completely different plane than the AV-8A. The further developments were the "Night attack" and adding the APG-65 for the final variant

Also, "Phantom II" refers to it being the second Phantom after this one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_FH_Phantom

Much like how the F-35 is the Lightning II referring to both the P-38 and English Electric Lightning, not another development of the F-35.
Viper16
AG
doubledog said:

nortex97 said:

That is something that our enemies do NOT need to know.

Do you not think our "enemies" have the same issues with regard to lightning strikes as we do!

LOL
#FJB

Lex Talionis Trump 2024

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.