F-35 missing

42,009 Views | 454 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
Psycho Bunny
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The government that just lost a F-35 in South Carolina, would like you to know that you can not be trusted with an Ar-15.
Americans new motto
Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate

The universe is cold and unfeeling, the only constant is chaos.

The game of life is rigged death always wins.
C@LAg
BonfireNerd04 said:

to the Gimli Glider incident
Gimli gliding, you say....

dwarves are not aerodynamic
nortex97
AG
They did apparently find the debris 2 hours north of Charleston, fyi.
Aggie Jurist
AG
Quote:

So it definitely is just at the bottom of one of those lakes

The debris was supposedly found in Williamsburg County, SC. Neither of the lakes that were being searched are in the county - it's just NE of both of them. It's an incredibly rural area.
LGB
fc2112
Ag with kids said:

Could this have to do with the hypoxia issues some pilots have experienced?
I sure hope not. I thought we'd fixed that.
agent-maroon
AG
fc2112 said:

Ag with kids said:

Could this have to do with the hypoxia issues some pilots have experienced?
I sure hope not. I thought we'd fixed that.

Shouldn't have that issue at an altitude of 2500 ft
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Pizza
Did they find it yet?
Pizza
Psycho Bunny said:

The government that just lost a F-35 in South Carolina, would like you to know that you can not be trusted with an Ar-15.
Anyone who chooses to ride a bicycle in the street is a threat to themselves, and others. If a vehicle strikes you accidentally, YOU are at fault; and the laws of physics supercede all else when you're in the path of a 2 ton killing machine. Know your place, stay off the road.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Aggie Jurist said:

Quote:

The debris was supposedly found in Williamsburg County, SC. Neither of the lakes that were being searched are in the county - it's just NE of both of them. It's an incredibly rural area.
Bigfoot fans unite.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
TexasAggie_02
AG
this article has video of the "crash" site.

https://apnews.com/article/missing-marine-f35-jet-south-carolina-mishap-b60ed0eb50791778b982be0c40a796a1

I say "crash" b/c there are a bunch of damaged trees, but no visible signs of debris. Its soo stealthy, you can't even see it.
Get Off My Lawn
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

Aggie Jurist said:

Quote:

Bigfoot fans unite.

I really should figure out AI art rendering, because this is ripe for a picture of Bigfoot with a manpad…
LMCane
don't blame the USAF for the incompetence of Marines!
aggiehawg
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

https://apnews.com/article/missing-marine-f35-jet-south-carolina-mishap-b60ed0eb50791778b982be0c40a796a1

I say "crash" b/c there are a bunch of damaged trees, but no visible signs of debris. Its soo stealthy, you can't even see it.
Those are pretty small pieces. Of course we don't know the air speed nor the angle of the crash. Doesn't appear to be that much fire damage either. Curious and raises even more questions.

AG
aggiehawg said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

Those are pretty small pieces. Of course we don't know the air speed nor the angle of the crash. Doesn't appear to be that much fire damage either. Curious and raises even more questions.

There you have it. Probably dragging along a coconut and messed up the aerodynamics.

Dimebag Darrell
Psycho Bunny said:

https://instagr.am/p/CxYAPYquKRP
aggiehawg
AG

aggiehawg said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

There you have it. Probably dragging along a coconut and messed up the aerodynamics.
I don't know how jet engines act when they are running out of fuel. Do they sputter or just flame out like blowing out a candle?
GAC06
AG

aggiehawg said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

It could grip it by the husk!
Viper16
AG
aggiehawg said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

Well, it's looking more and likely that my initial assessment of a fuel issue is the possible culprit. I could be wrong though......the FLCS (flight control system control system) appears to work properly, don't know if the motor was windmilling or frozen on impact......the data box should give us a lot of info..

So, IMHO, the pilot either almost ran it out of fuel, had a fuel gauge malfunction (not displaying the proper level of fuel) or thought he could get back to the base and land safely at his current fuel state......If he was aware of his fuel status, I'm surprised he didn't declare an emergency with ATC or Approach Control and enter High Key over the base, or a high altitude straight-in approach for a possible flame-out landing.

Anyway, when he engaged the automatic flight control system (autopilot?), pointed it to a low populated area, he probably thought the jet would coast into a remote area to minimize the destruction of people and property.

He probably had more fuel than he thought he had, or was indicated on the fuel gauge and that is the reason the jet continued on northwest until ground impact. The initial video shows an area that was burned, but nothing like it would have been with a lot of fuel on board.

It will be interesting reading the accident report......hope the pilot made all the right decisions.....
#FJB

Ultra-MAGA Cultist :-))

Lex Talionis Trump 2024
GAC06
AG
I thought I heard weather was an issue as well
aggiehawg
AG
Saw a report yesterday about the pilot landing in a residential backyard and military officials arrived to retrieve him and his parachute. The report went on to say they had not located his ejection seat.

Would that seat also have some flight data/information?
Viper16
AG
GAC06 said:

I thought I heard weather was an issue as well
Could have been pilot disorientation in the wx.......turned on the automated flight control system and punched out....

I've had friends get disoriented in the wx and run into a mountain or crash trying to recover the jet.

They should have just punched out.....
#FJB

Lex Talionis Trump 2024
cbr
AG

Aggie Jurist said:

Quote:

Bigfoot fans unite.

bigfoot hacked an f35 is as likely as the official story that the transponder/locating devices all failed, the pilot just erroneously punched out, and the plane went on to dump itself in a field.
Viper16
AG
aggiehawg said:

Saw a report yesterday about the pilot landing in a residential backyard and military officials arrived to retrieve him and his parachute. The report went on to say they had not located his ejection seat.

Would that seat also have some flight data/information?
I honestly have never considered if the ejection seats provides any useful data to aid in the understanding of the cause of the crash. At least I don't think they did in my F-4 and F-16 days.

We were just more concern that the seats work and you could survive the ejection. Had a buddy that flew A-7s and had to eject....he was at 450kts when he needed to get out.....wind blast broke both arms and legs.....If possible....eject at the lowest airspeed possible....

I also don't know what kind of inflight data telemetry the F-35 has. There maybe a complete set of data that the military has in its possession.

I'll ask my Son-in-Law who is a former F-16 and F-35 pilot. He's on a FEDEX trip now.
#FJB

Lex Talionis Trump 2024
aggiehawg
AG
Thanks for the response. Saw some mention that it might have altitude and airspeed and direction of the craft when the ejection was activated and did not know if that was accurate or not.

Again, thanks for your input on this thread. Much appreciated.
AG
cbr said:

Aggie Jurist said:

Quote:

Bigfoot fans unite.

bigfoot hacked an f35 is as likely as the official story that the transponder/locating devices all failed, the pilot just erroneously punched out, and the plane went on to dump itself in a field.
Nah, I was going with a disappearing jet in a remote wilderness was akin to a bigfoot search. Need to call in the experts.

Viper16
AG
aggiehawg said:

Thanks for the response. Saw some mention that it might have altitude and airspeed and direction of the craft when the ejection was activated and did not know if that was accurate or not.

Again, thanks for your input on this thread. Much appreciated.
Well, I had the Aces 2 seat..... I checked and apparently, it does have some info it can provide.......

"the sequencer includes a crash data recorder that contains ejection information that can be later analyzed during crash investigations to understand the dynamics of the ejection as well as loads on the aircrew during the event."

The newer seats probably have more data collection now....
#FJB

Lex Talionis Trump 2024
aggiehawg
AG
What does "loads on the aircrew" mean?
Viper16
AG
aggiehawg said:

What does "loads on the aircrew" mean?
G forces.....on ejection...
#FJB

Lex Talionis Trump 2024
Viper16
AG
In the case of this pilot......he possibly ejected in a 1G, low airspeed environment to minimize ejection forces on the body.
#FJB

Lex Talionis Trump 2024
aggiehawg
AG
Got it. Thanks.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Had a buddy that flew A-7s and had to eject....he was at 450kts when he needed to get out.....wind blast broke both arms and legs.....If possible....eject at the lowest airspeed possible....
You're probably familiar with the story of Captain Brian Udell. Punched out of an F-15 at 780 mph over the Atlantic.

He is not an Aggie, though his late older brother (Marlon) was a classmate of mine in the Aggie Band. His dad was George W. Bush's ANG commander.

https://www.ejectionsite.com/insaddle/insaddle.htm
Viper16
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

Had a buddy that flew A-7s and had to eject....he was at 450kts when he needed to get out.....wind blast broke both arms and legs.....If possible....eject at the lowest airspeed possible....
You're probably familiar with the story of Captain Brian Udell. Punched out of an F-15 at 780 mph over the Atlantic.

He is not an Aggie, though his late older brother (Marlon) was a classmate of mine in the Aggie Band. His dad was George W. Bush's ANG commander.

https://www.ejectionsite.com/insaddle/insaddle.htm
Yes I am......incredible story......I still can't believe he not only survived the actual ejection, but also the 4 hour wait to be rescued in the Atlantic Ocean......

One hell of a tough sob (in a respectful way)!

Here's a link to his story........

Supersonic Ejection

#FJB

Lex Talionis Trump 2024
BTHOB-98
Biden "You need F-15s and maybe some nuclear weapons"

Step 1: Check!
Ag with kids
AG
C@LAg said:

Jock 07 said:

$100 Million airplane and can't even get a low fuel light.
it was labelled in gallons, but metered for liters.
So it turned into the Gimli Glider...
Stat Monitor Repairman
https://instagr.am/p/CxW-cYLAZb0

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.