Virginia Catholic Bishop: 'No One' Is Transgender

31,021 Views | 707 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ramblin_ag02
M1Buckeye
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PacifistAg said:

M1Buckeye said:

PacifistAg said:

Should someone tell him that virtually any licensed therapist who specializes in this would have zero issue with my course.
Is such a therapist following the word of God or are they following their own word?

Satan has deceived people into believing that they can rebel against God's word, as Satan did, and do whatever they like. Those who strive to follow God will strive to follow God by doing HIS will and not our own. Of course, that's easier said than done, but we need to try.

Most of all, I believe, we are to remember this:

Matthew 22:36-40 English Standard Version

36 "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?" 37 And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 38 This is the great and first commandment. 39 And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 40 On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets."

1) The bishop is the one who suggested therapy. I merely pointed out that virtually any licensed therapist, and every major psychological/psychiatric association affirms transition as a valid path for those struggling with gender dysphoria. Not to mention virtually every major medical association.

2) I'm not rebelling against God's word. The Scriptures don't really cover trans-related issues. Sure there are eunuchs, but they're not condemned for being eunuchs. But the Bible doesn't address every possible situation like this, and that's okay.

Just like vaccines, God has given us the ability to develop ways to help avoid, or alleviate, pain/illness. I'm grateful to Him that I live in a time where I can do that and not have to live a short, tortured life. Like I said prior to you questioning my faith, it's helped me draw closer with my Lord.

I guess all we can do is love God, love one another, and look forward to the second coming.
Sapper Redux
Joe Boudain said:

Sapper Redux said:

Joe Boudain said:

Sapper Redux said:

ViceroyEschaton said:

First of all, I feel for your misery and the difficulty of the situation. The bishop says as much.

That said, it is a simplistic solution. To say, "We aren't actually going to figure out how to help your mental illness and we'll block attempts to study it, but hey, we'll validate your dysmorphia instead" is simplistic.

Name me another illness where instead of helping the patient feel comfortable in their own?body, we tell them theyre totally right and encourage their aberration.

Assuming this mind-body dualism, where they are separate and one is right and one is wrong, is incredibly simplistic. Modern medical treatment for transgender people is far more complex than you or the bishop can admit.

That's odd, since the person in question is stating their sex is at odds with their gender, and is taking hormones to try and rectify the situation. How can one not be right and one not be wrong either way?

Gender dysmorphia is a complicated matter that gives lie to the idea of a dualism where the body and mind are separate. Taking hormones influences the brain as much as it influences the body. Pacifist already said that was a step taken after years of dealing with the problem. Hormones and surgery are the last steps in a long process, not the first. And the idea is to help make the entire person whole rather than have a person in constant conflict.

It is made into a complicated issue to try and obfuscate an obvious truth, that some things can't be changed. Regardless of where hormones therapy or surgery is in the process it shows the claim that its all merely a "mind" issue is a lie, as the body is artificially forced into behaving and appearing as the opposite sex does naturally.

Your approach would have us ignore the real physiological aspects of gender dysmorphia to force a person to match a social definition of sex based on external appearance.
M1Buckeye
Sapper Redux said:

Joe Boudain said:

Sapper Redux said:

Joe Boudain said:

Sapper Redux said:

ViceroyEschaton said:

First of all, I feel for your misery and the difficulty of the situation. The bishop says as much.

That said, it is a simplistic solution. To say, "We aren't actually going to figure out how to help your mental illness and we'll block attempts to study it, but hey, we'll validate your dysmorphia instead" is simplistic.

Name me another illness where instead of helping the patient feel comfortable in their own?body, we tell them theyre totally right and encourage their aberration.

Assuming this mind-body dualism, where they are separate and one is right and one is wrong, is incredibly simplistic. Modern medical treatment for transgender people is far more complex than you or the bishop can admit.

That's odd, since the person in question is stating their sex is at odds with their gender, and is taking hormones to try and rectify the situation. How can one not be right and one not be wrong either way?

Gender dysmorphia is a complicated matter that gives lie to the idea of a dualism where the body and mind are separate. Taking hormones influences the brain as much as it influences the body. Pacifist already said that was a step taken after years of dealing with the problem. Hormones and surgery are the last steps in a long process, not the first. And the idea is to help make the entire person whole rather than have a person in constant conflict.

It is made into a complicated issue to try and obfuscate an obvious truth, that some things can't be changed. Regardless of where hormones therapy or surgery is in the process it shows the claim that its all merely a "mind" issue is a lie, as the body is artificially forced into behaving and appearing as the opposite sex does naturally.

Your approach would have us ignore the real physiological aspects of gender dysmorphia to force a person to match a social definition of sex based on external appearance.

In 99.9999% of cases a person can be accurately gendered by simply looking at them.

People are born either male or female barring the one in a gazillion genetic defect wherein it's not necessarily outwardly clear. E
M1Buckeye
I believe gender confusion is demonically inspired, as is gluttony, alcoholism, and a myriad of other behaviors.
PacifistAg
AG
M1Buckeye said:

I believe gender confusion is demonically inspired, as is gluttony, alcoholism, and a myriad of other behaviors.

So now I'm like an alcoholic because I'm someone you don't understand. So much for that "love others" bit you toss out when challenged.

Being transgender isn't a "behavior". I'd be trans even if I never transitioned or did anything.
PacifistAg
AG
Intersex people are a great example of the reality of gender identity. I've heard countless intersex people talk about how the doctor made that choice for them at birth, and even without knowing they were born intersex, they knew they weren't whatever the doctor chose. It was this innate aspect of who they are, and the doctor made the wrong choice (this practice should be banned by hospitals btw).

Before anyone has a fit, yes, intersex and trans are not the same thing. I'm talking about the dysphoria many experience when they are assigned incorrectly at birth.
Quad Dog
AG
Sure, just throw out numbers without bothering to do the minimum research...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_assignment
Quote:

The number of births where the baby is intersex where they do not fit into typical definitions of male and female at birth has been reported to be as low as 0.018%, but is often estimated at around 0.2%. The number of births with ambiguous genitals is in the range of 0.02% to 0.05%
M1Buckeye
PacifistAg said:

M1Buckeye said:

So now I'm like an alcoholic because I'm someone you don't understand. So much for that "love others" bit you toss out when challenged.

Being transgender isn't a "behavior". I'd be trans even if I never transitioned or did anything.

So I shouldn't tell the truth in order not to offend one's feelings? The most loving thing we can do is tell the truth. I think what you expect is that we all say that same-sex relationships and transgenderism are perfectly consistent with God's wishes. I don't believe that to be true, just like I don't believe that he wants us to drink and eat to excess.

I'm not condemning you, I'm simply saying that I believe that such lifestyles are CONTRADICTORY to what God wants. With that said and, as I said before, we ALL fall short of God's standard. That's why we must not condemn but, rather, love one another.
PacifistAg
AG
You aren't telling the truth. You're telling your opinion. And you have repeatedly shown that this is something you don't even understand. You're equating being transgender to drinking and eating too much.

Also "transgenderism" isn't a thing.
Joe Boudain
Sapper Redux said:

Joe Boudain said:

Sapper Redux said:

Joe Boudain said:

Sapper Redux said:

ViceroyEschaton said:

Which involves them changing their appearance to match the social definition of their "new" sex.

Hormones, surgery, make-up, dresses, leg-shaving, all in an effort to prove that they are not the sex they were born with.
Quad Dog
AG
You're not not condemning her, but you are saying her life is contradictory to God's wants. That sounds like a condemnation to me.

I don't think the best thing you can do is tell the truth. I think the best thing is you can keep your opinion to yourself and listen instead of talk about something you obviously know nothing about.
M1Buckeye
PacifistAg said:

You aren't telling the truth. You're telling your opinion. And you have repeatedly shown that this is something you don't even understand.

I'm sharing my belief based on the bible, which says we are born male or female. It doesn't say that one can switch gender. I don't condemn those that do "switch", but I won't believe it's consistent with God's desires until and unless I'm shown a biblical verse that says so.
chuckd
AG

Quote:

But I transitioned and haven't had any suicidal thoughts since. The crushing depression is gone. But we knew the inevitable end, so much so that it was my wife who encouraged me to start hormones. Yes, in theory, I could have continued without transition and not die by suicide, but the reality of it was that it was a life or death decision. It's one of the best decisions I ever made. It's cleared this dense fog in my mind. I am "right" now, and so much more mentally, and spiritually, healthy today than at any point in my life.
What exactly did you do? A man cannot biologically become a woman.
Joe Boudain
Seems like he was being hyperbolic. Does 99.99% look better?
M1Buckeye
Quad Dog said:

You're not not condemning her, but you are saying her life is contradictory to God's wants. That sounds like a condemnation to me.

I don't think the best thing you can do is tell the truth. I think the best thing is you can keep your opinion to yourself and listen instead of talk about something you obviously know nothing about.

You and he are certainly welcome to put me on "ignore". I will speak the biblical truth, whether you agree with it or not.
PacifistAg
AG
Quote:

I think the best thing is you can keep your opinion to yourself and listen instead of talk about something you obviously know nothing about.

Yep. It's why I don't comment on quantum physics. My understanding stems from nothing more than Ant Man. This is really the same. Diaclosure is a great documentary on how the majority of Americans derive their views of trans people largely from how we're portrayed by Hollywood (20% of Americans at the time actually knew a trans person). So people operate with this flawed perceptions instead of actually getting to know and listening to trans people. I'm very active on twitter. I've had so many, Christian and not Christian, reach out to say how I've helped reshape their views on trans people. Why? Because they listened.

But then you have people who refuse to listen, refuse to learn, refuse to understand, yet want to talk as if they're experts. It's much like we see with the COVID anti-vaxxers.
PacifistAg
AG
*she...and it's your opinion/interpretation. But interesting that instead of accepting the invition to shut up, listen, and learn, you encourage muting.
M1Buckeye
PacifistAg said:

Quote:

I think the best thing is you can keep your opinion to yourself and listen instead of talk about something you obviously know nothing about.

Yep. It's why I don't comment on quantum physics. My understanding stems from nothing more than Ant Man. This is really the same. Diaclosure is a great documentary on how the majority of Americans derive their views of trans people largely from how we're portrayed by Hollywood (20% of Americans at the time actually knew a trans person). So people operate with this flawed perceptions instead of actually getting to know and listening to trans people. I'm very active on twitter. I've had so many, Christian and not Christian, reach out to say how I've helped reshape their views on trans people. Why? Because they listened.

But then you have people who refuse to listen, refuse to learn, refuse to understand, yet want to talk as if they're experts. It's much like we see with the COVID anti-vaxxers.

You want Christians to reject the bible and accept your word that, engaging in same-sex relationships and "switching" gender, is good and holy. It's an extreme and unreasonable expectation.
PacifistAg
AG
Hey, sweetheart, I'm a Christian and I don't reject the Bible. But thank you for wording it like that, because it exposes that you are in fact condemning.
PacifistAg
AG
Before you attempt to justify misgendering me intentionally, here's a great short podcast from a great theologian on that question:

M1Buckeye
PacifistAg said:

*she...and it's your opinion/interpretation. But interesting that instead of accepting the invition to shut up, listen, and learn, you encourage muting.

You're welcome to make the BIBLICAL case that same-sex relationships and "switching" gender is pleasing to God. I'm not going to lie to you and tell you that I believe that what you're doing is pleasing to God when I can't find evidence for it in the bible. I'm also not going to be compelled to parrot something that I know is untrue by referring to you as "she/her".

PacifistAg
AG
Thank you for making it clear that you have no interest in respectful discussion. May I end with one recommendation? If you're going to comment on a subject, you may want to educate yourself on said subject. Your ignorance with regards to trans people is astounding. Better to keep your mouth shut than to put your ignorance on display.
M1Buckeye
PacifistAg said:

Hey, sweetheart, I'm a Christian and I don't reject the Bible. But thank you for wording it like that, because it exposes that you are in fact condemning.

So unless I approve of everyone's lifestyle choices, I am "condemning" them? If I told a polygamist that their lifestyle is inconsistent with the bible, I have essentially "condemned" them, right?

I've condemned no one, but you do you.
Quad Dog
AG
Let's strive for accuracy and go with 99.98% - 99.95%.
In Texas alone with a population of 29 million that .01% difference is 3,000 people.
Howdy Dammit
AG
Here's my two cents.

If you would not advocate for every other human on earth to emulate your lifestyle, then it is probably not a godly one. Now this can be translated to every person, obviously. Take premarital sex for example. I was created to want sex and procreate, but Gods law says otherwise. Most of us fall short of that commandment, but luckily, we grow up, get married, and that sin falls out of our life. Problem with gay/trans is that the sin never falls out of your life if you act on it. Which I can understand the difficulty that entails, if it's anything like normal straight 20 year olds trying to abstain from sex with their girlfriends. It would be a lifelong struggle. But it's the same struggle given to straight individuals who weren't called to marriage. We all have sins that we shouldn't act on, but do. In the end, it's all sin and all displeasing to God. And I don't think it's hypocritical to hold each other accountable and/or encourage a different path.
Joe Boudain
"Trust the science. Male women exist, bigot, Educate yourself" would have been a punch line all of about 3 years ago, and is now said with a straight face to ringing applause.
PacifistAg
AG
It's not a lifestyle. Hth.

Now I would advocate that every person love God and serve Him. But not everyone is born trans, so that's a silly standard. I would encourage any person struggling with dysphoria to seek the recognized and accepted courses to address that.
Quad Dog
AG
Honestly, PacifistAg this kind of consistent nonsense, pig headedness, and hatred from Christians towards you affirms to me why I don't really have an interest in being a Christian anymore.
I don't really understand why you continue to want to be in their club. But you are a stronger person than me for many reasons I guess.
M1Buckeye
Howdy Dammit said:

Here's my two cents.

If you would not advocate for every other human on earth to emulate your lifestyle, then it is probably not a godly one. Now this can be translated to every person, obviously. Take premarital sex for example. I was created to want sex and procreate, but Gods law says otherwise. Most of us fall short of that commandment, but luckily, we grow up, get married, and that sin falls out of our life. Problem with gay/trans is that the sin never falls out of your life if you act on it. Which I can understand the difficulty that entails, if it's anything like normal straight 20 year olds trying to abstain from sex with their girlfriends. It would be a lifelong struggle. But it's the same struggle given to straight individuals who weren't called to marriage. We all have sins that we shouldn't act on, but do. In the end, it's all sin and all displeasing to God. And I don't think it's hypocritical to hold each other accountable and/or encourage a different path.

Well said. Amen.
Beer Baron
AG

Quote:

Problem with gay/trans is that the sin never falls out of your life if you act on it.
Are my husband and I sinning when we're on the couch watching Netflix? How about when we walk our dogs? Are Aggie football games together ok? Dinner, as long as it's not to celebrate an anniversary?
PacifistAg
AG
Quad Dog said:

Honestly, PacifistAg this kind of consistent nonsense, pig headedness, and hatred from Christians towards you affirms to me why I don't really have an interest in being a Christian anymore.
I don't really understand why you continue to want to be in their club. But you are a stronger person than me for many reasons I guess.

Honestly, and I tweeted about this very thing before, I certainly don't stay because of people like them. I stay because so deeply love Jesus Christ. Yeah, tons of Christians suck. We see it here, and especially on on another particular forum. But Jesus is awesome and He's enough to keep me no matter how hard people like we see on this thread try to push me away.
PacifistAg
AG
I'm still curious what they claim my sin is. Taking medicine that cured my depression and suicidal ideation (or at least keep it at bay)? It also have me amazing breasts, so maybe that's it. Or is it my clothes? I mean, I do look fabulous today, and that may cause some to stumble. Or is it my pronoun usage? Can't be my marriage, because they consider me a man and I'm married to a woman.
M1Buckeye
Beer Baron said:

Quote:

Problem with gay/trans is that the sin never falls out of your life if you act on it.
Are my husband and I sinning when we're on the couch watching Netflix? How about when we walk our dogs? Are Aggie football games together ok? Dinner, as long as it's not to celebrate an anniversary?

The bible speaks against same-sex relationships. It also speaks against MANY other things. It's ultimately up to Jesus to judge us. I certainly do not judge but nor can I condone something that is, according to the bible, inconsistent with what God wants.

Do you believe that Christians should reject the bible and embrace the idea that all behaviors and lifestyles are moral and acceptable to God?
Joe Boudain
PacifistAg said:

I'm still curious what they claim my sin is. Taking medicine that cured my depression and suicidal ideation (or at least keep it at bay)? It also have me amazing breasts, so maybe that's it. Or is it my clothes? I mean, I do look fabulous today, and that may cause some to stumble. Or is it my pronoun usage? Can't be my marriage, because they consider me a man and I'm married to a woman.
Very weird that you literally edited this post to include the part about amazing breasts.
PacifistAg
AG
Well, they are that amazing.

I actually edited to include the part of keeping depression at bay. The breast thing happened while editing.

Edited to say I understand your objection to thaat edit. The Taliban hates breasts.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.