Virginia Catholic Bishop: 'No One' Is Transgender

31,024 Views | 707 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ramblin_ag02
dermdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Joe Boudain said:

Ag_of_08 said:

Many are afraid to say what they mean, because it gives their critics the ammo to use against them.
Shrodinger's analogy I guess. It's simultaneously too harsh for dermdoc, while at the same time being too mealymouthed for Ag of 08.

Yep, you nailed me.

Aggressive cancer vs transgender? C'mon man.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Star Wars Memes Only
Dilettante said:

Two people disagreeing requires a quantum explanation? You live in a complicated world.

To be fair, everything requires a quantum explanation.
Dilettante
dargscisyhp said:

Dilettante said:

Two people disagreeing requires a quantum explanation? You live in a complicated world.

Not love. Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends dimensions of time and space. Maybe we should trust that, even if we can't understand it.
AGC
AG
Dilettante said:

dargscisyhp said:

Dilettante said:

Not love. Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends dimensions of time and space. Maybe we should trust that, even if we can't understand it.

How do you know what love is? Plenty of people perceive what they think to be love only to learn it isn't.
Star Wars Memes Only
Dilettante
AGC said:

How do you know what love is?
Love has meaning. Social utility, social bonding, child rearing...
PacifistAg
AG
What is love? Who is my neighbor?
Jim Hogg is angry
AG

Dilettante
Only 2 usernames? I'm everyone on the thread except you, the person reading this post.
kurt vonnegut
AG
Dilettante said:

dargscisyhp said:

Dilettante said:

Zobel
AG
Aggrad08
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

Dilettante said:

dargscisyhp said:

Dilettante said:

I think this is a quote from interstellar.

Interestingly If love transcends time and space it seems hate would also.

I have a suspicion that may hate for Longhorns is evidence of this.
AGC
AG
AGC
AG
Aggrad08 said:

kurt vonnegut said:

Dilettante said:

dargscisyhp said:

Dilettante said:

Ah, I watched the movie once so I wouldn't have remembered that. Away we go I guess!
AGC
AG
Zobel said:

I see the social bonding!!
kurt vonnegut
AG
Aggrad08 said:

In that case. . . . Dillettante, I rescind my Judgy Judy eye roll.

AggieRain
AG
Man...you just stop by because a thread on F16 turned into a religious pissing contest and...well...wait a minute...what do we have going on here? Anything new, fellas?
Dilettante
I thought you knew and were just tired of Darg and I spamming interstellar quotes.
kurt vonnegut
AG
Dilettante said:

I thought you knew and were just tired of Darg and I spamming interstellar quotes.

Nope, the quote slipped by me. I thought you were just making a cheesy Hallmark comment about love.
Ag_of_08
AG
Joe Boudain said:

Ag_of_08 said:

Many are afraid to say what they mean, because it gives their critics the ammo to use against them.
Shrodinger's analogy I guess. It's simultaneously too harsh for dermdoc, while at the same time being too mealymouthed for Ag of 08.

Nah. You just prove your critics points while attempting to be insulting and condescending. You've done that to several people in this thread.
Joe Boudain
Ag_of_08 said:

Joe Boudain said:

Ag_of_08 said:

Nah. You just prove your critics points while attempting to be insulting and condescending. You've done that to several people in this thread.

No, I mean I don't see where I've used analogies to get around what I'm trying to say. I've said pretty much point blank what my thoughts are on the subject
PabloSerna
AG
AGC said:

PabloSerna said:

It is much deeper than simply looking down and saying "he" or "she". Insisting on that as a starting point to talk about God, creation, and salvation is limiting.

It has become more clear to me with my trans son, that God is right in front of us, leading the way. The temptation to over simply our physical nature leaves out much to be discovered. Try listening and understanding. As folks who are walking this path now and are forging on with their relationship with Jesus - there is much to learn from them (PacifistAg). In the end, I believe God will give us the body that was intended from the beginning. Like the apostles, will our friends recognize us in our resurrected bodies? Hopefully by our actions and words - not so much by our physical nature.

Is this catholic doctrine?

Do you believe that we're primarily spiritual beings with no connection to the physical bodies we inhabit?
From the CCC

999 How? Christ is raised with his own body: "See my hands and my feet, that it is I myself";553 but he did not return to an earthly life. So, in him, "all of them will rise again with their own bodies which they now bear," but Christ "will change our lowly body to be like his glorious body," into a "spiritual body":554

+++

I was attempting to relate a deeper point about the "glorified body" we will have in Christ. Just as the Apostles on the road to Emmaus did not recognize Jesus until the breaking of the bread, it would seem to me that physically something was different.

Another way to put is that there is a 100% chance that there will be no handicap parking in heaven!

Redstone
AG
Here is why I re-start this conversation.

The topic is important, given our present cultural zeitgeist.

Two very prominent doctors who do NOT agree with my opinions on this topic have written a piece I encourage all to read.

https://bariweiss.substack.com/p/top-trans-doctors-blow-the-whistle

Quote:

Earlier this month, Anderson told me she submitted a co-authored op-ed to The New York Times warning that many transgender healthcare providers were treating kids recklessly. The Times passed, explaining it was "outside our coverage priorities right now."
LIB
God created an urge in me to have sex with as many hot looking women as possible. He also gave me an urge for self preservation. As a result of these two god-given urges, I don't let my wife know about all the women I'm sleeping around with.
#madethisway
Sapper Redux
LIB said:

God created an urge in me to have sex with as many hot looking women as possible. He also gave me an urge for self preservation. As a result of these two god-given urges, I don't let my wife know about all the women I'm sleeping around with.
#madethisway

I get so sick of these pathetic equivalencies. Sit down and talk to a transgendered or queer person about what they feel and how little self respect or self esteem many of them have because of attitudes like this.
Redstone
AG
Is "affirmation" helping those who suffer?

Not really, according to those once extremely-affirming doctors. And according to the many testimonies of regret among the "transitioned," which can be referenced in my earlier posts here.
Sapper Redux
Redstone said:

Is "affirmation" helping those who suffer?

Not really, according to those once extremely-affirming doctors. And according to the many testimonies of regret among the "transitioned," which can be referenced in my earlier posts here.

Here's a novel concept: different people are going to need different things to help them because they are different. All I see from conservatives is a desire to shove LGBTQ people back into the closet and treat them as subhuman while saying they care.
PacifistAg
AG
I believe I shared articles earlier on how flawed the methodologies behind the studies on desistence and the myth of ROGD are. Redstone has no interest in understanding. If he did, he'd know that the primary reason behind detransition is social and familial rejection, and that a large number of detransitioners transition again later. Or he wouldn't ignore the countless trans people, myself included, who have experienced tremendous positives from transitioning.

But people like Redstone don't want to understand. They want to peddle the myths of people like Lisa Littman and Abigail Shrier. It's a fruitless argument, and I only wanted to chime in to caution against it. He has ignored everything shared so far. Don't waste your time.
Redstone
AG
I'm very interested in doctors speaking out against mutilating children. I hope everyone reads the piece by two of the most prominent doctors in this "field."

And then, ask yourself: how often do you hear about the follow-up story, years later, of children like Jazz?

What does it mean for the NYT, and other elite institutions, to admit their "priorities"?
Redstone
AG
Perhaps a desire to protect children and adolescents, especially the mentally and emotionally fragile, from hormone "therapy" and mutilation. Read the follow up about Jazz. Read the many testimonies of regret and sterilization.
Redstone
AG
Third, let me ask this again.

I believe in science. I trust science. I welcome scientific inquiry, as any Christian accepting of its human anthropology truth claims should. Science is one of the very best reasons to be pro-life, for example. Sonograms are amazing.

Now:

After a "transition," how exactly are the X and Y chromosomes transformed? What's the science?
Sapper Redux
Redstone said:

Third, let me ask this again.

I believe in science. I trust science. I welcome scientific inquiry, as any Christian accepting of its human anthropology truth claims should. Science is one of the very best reasons to be pro-life, for example. Sonograms are amazing.

Now:

After a "transition," how exactly are the X and Y chromosomes transformed? What's the science?

You claim to believe in science and yet dumb it down to the absolute simplest, black-and-white, decontextualized form. Seems like you don't actually trust science.
Sapper Redux
Redstone said:

Perhaps a desire to protect children and adolescents, especially the mentally and emotionally fragile, from hormone "therapy" and mutilation. Read the follow up about Jazz. Read the many testimonies of regret and sterilization.

"Protect them" by forcing them into a box you've selected for them and treating deviation from that as worthy of emotional abuse.
Redstone
AG
So…the chromosomes, the presence or absence of which determines sex (and its synonym, gender) don't change in the slightest during a "transition?"
This easily observable reality is consistently present across time and environment?
Physical anthropologists, looking at remains, would match sex / gender to such an objective reality?
Huh.
redcrayon
AG
Here is a video of Abigail Shrier speaking at Hillsdale College. The vilification of her work by some seems unreasonable IMO.

Science, the Transgender Phenomenon, and the Young | Abigail Shrier - YouTube

Worth a listen when you have a few minutes.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.