*** LANTERNS *** (DCU / HBO Series)

38,301 Views | 639 Replies | Last: 20 min ago by CharleyKerfeld
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I joked with a buddy that Nebraska really is on hard times, recruiting quarterbacks from the six man ranks.
schmendeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bobinator said:

He doesn't let her off "because she's a scared mom." He let's her off because what chance does Noah have if his mom is in prison?

He's giving her the chance to make sure that Hal's death wasn't in vain. She killed him to protect her son, and now Jon is going to make sure she does exactly that which in turn might protect others from her son.


Exactly
FL_Ag1998
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Average Joe said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

Average Joe said:

dummble said:

Loved the show but...

John saying "ax" in the most unnatural way possible

10am - school assembly followed by lab room talk.
Storage unit, desert walk, lake paddle, sinestro water boarding, lake paddle, desert walk
Still time to make 7pm kickoff?

Ok, when did Hal have time to rent another house and booby trap it before telling Kerry? Because it seemed like he told her immediately after he found out.

1st point: yeah, that's annoying

2nd point: All the off world stuff could be explained by time dilation. That could have been 5 Earth minutes.

3rd point: He knew at least a few days. He was healed, then followed him to the other world, found out about Sinestro and his plans, and then talked to Jon before getting killed by Kerry.


The "ax" stuff was just embarrassing by them. Stupid, plain stupid and somewhat racist if we're being honest.

And the other points require us to just handwaive aways pesky little details and ignore them....in other words amatuer writing.

I disagree.

I think it's stupid that they should have to account for every second of the day. The fact that people are looking up the number of miles between cities, discussing how long a day is on an alien planet, and how long it takes to find a new place to live in a city with less than 1000 people is just stupid. Especially if all of them can be explained with basic common sense. I don't need the entire thing spoon fed to me.




But see, now you're creating a straw man argument that I want them to explain every second of every day. That's not what I said nor am I expecting that. But even people on this thread who are fans of this show have admitted that some form of hand waving is required to watch this show. Its ok to like a show and still admit it has flaws. Hell, I love Lost, the original OG of all these mystery box shows, lol. And I'll be the first to admit that it has a ton of plot and logic flaws.
CharleyKerfeld
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As I think more about the situation in Nebraska, you can almost see Lanterns as an inversion of Superman's story, especially the "Man of Steel" movie interpretation.

Alien hiding in plain sight in small rural town in the Midwest
Powers / tech beyond human comprehension
Proclaimed guilty by survivors of another world who wind up on Earth seeking justice.

It fits better with the Clark/Noah parallel. Zod and his minions come to Earth wanting to punish Superman for Jor-El's heresy while Kal-El has done nothing wrong. We assume Antaan / the Guardians would kill Noah for being a Manhunter despite him doing nothing wrong.

Not perfect, but I bet it's at least some of their inspiration.
Lathspell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saxsoon said:

Lathspell said:

I'm not, nor have I ever, argued from the PoV of the guardians. I've already said I know nothing about them.

My remarks are strictly from this point of view that Jon is focused on Earth and humans. We have laws and societies on Earth. If he was truly as altruistic as some are pointing out, he would leave that up to the humans.

Again, if the purpose of the show is to give us a villain, then they succeeded. If they are trying to give us a hero to cheer for, I believe they failed.


Failed for you. John is not remotely a villain. By that logic the good guys in the Superman movie , including Superman are villains for interfering in in societies in that conflict and should have left it to the UN

If Superman were to let a murderer walk completely free, then I would agree he is not a good guy.

I get it's just a TV show and yall are happy to play make believe, but that was legit murder. She murdered a man in cold blood. This wasn't collateral damage in the course of defending the Earth from an intergalactic threat. She pulled out her guy and shot Hal Jordan in the head because she felt flustered.

Should we not send murderers to prison because it might mean their kids grow up without parents and may also one day murder because of it? What is this crazy worldview you people are spouting?
Dekker_Lentz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think overall I liked the show. 7.5-8 out of 10.

But I do think they wasted the chemistry between Aaron and Kyle. They also got a great actor to play the lawful evil Sinestro and felt like they wasted him.

I feel like Sinestro needs to be a big part of Season 2.

I am not sure how I feel about the Manhunter skating by so far, but I don't outright hate it.

I just feel this cast had a 9.5 show in them, but the writing and plot let them down a little bit.
Dekker_Lentz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

To me its the haircut. I know that's Guy's haircut and in that regard it fits. But its always just odd to see Fillion with that mop on his head.


To me it is the right actor, but almost the wrong time. 15 years ago, would have been awesome. Fillion is almost, but not quite too old looking to pull this off.
Lathspell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bobinator said:

Can you show your work on the villain thing? I'm not sure I'm following that line of logic.

I literally already did this in one of my previous posts.

He stole Hal's ring by coercing the current Green Lantern. He stole a Lantern created by Sinestro. He allowed an admitted murderer to walk free. He threatened the current Green Lantern. He is embracing fear as a core part to his new oath, which is literally what the Yellow lanterns did, under Sinestro.

Nothing about what he is doing says "Hero" to me. It says authoritarian. It says anti-hero. I see it as saying villain.
Madmarttigan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well that's putting a bit of a slant on it
CharleyKerfeld
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lathspell said:



She pulled out her guy and shot Hal Jordan in the head because she felt flustered.



She killed him because she was protecting her son. Many, many, many parents would do the same thing and not lose much sleep over it.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.