*** LANTERNS *** (DCU / HBO Series)

33,856 Views | 567 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by FL_Ag1998
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TexAgs need a premium feature for this board where once someone says they stopped watching a show they can't post on the official show thread anymore.
Enrico Pallazzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm still struggling that Garret Dillahunt is supposed to be Kelly Macdonald's father in law
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bobinator said:

TexAgs need a premium feature for this board where once someone says they stopped watching a show they can't post on the official show thread anymore.


FTR, I was responding to people directly commenting to me. I'll stop commenting so that those who are still watching can have their thread back. My apologies.
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm mostly kidding, it's easy to just skip past conversation you don't care about. My main thing is that I think people are prematurely deciding that the race stuff was "forced into" the show rather than be important for the actual plot.

Heavy-handed or not, it quickly served the purpose of showing some motivations for John's parents and/or John himself and that they don't necessarily trust the judgement of Hal, the guardians and/or maybe even the ring itself and that the guardians are not all that familiar with human society. It's extremely possible these were important plot mechanics that needed to be established.

But this isn't a "good guys vs bad guys" show, it's pretty clearly a "finding out who exactly the good guys are" show.
Average Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
YouBet said:

Average Joe said:

YouBet said:

Average Joe said:

YouBet said:

Average Joe said:

YouBet said:

PatAg said:

YouBet said:

Been busy and haven't watched this show since the pilot came out. Caught up on E2 and E3 tonight.

Gunn has totally lost me at this point. He won't survive his own DC reboot. I was so pumped about this show and all I got with these two episodes was racial, whiny b.s. It's just exhausting at this point and ruins the show.

I love Pierre in this role and hope we see him elsewhere. But the story around him is total crap. Moving on. Looking forward to the Reevesverse because the Gunn version sucks.

You're entitled to your own opinion, but this is doing very well for HBO.


Well, that's totally fine if it's doing well for HBO. But, yes, IMO it's fatiguing.

One out of four episodes mentioned race in a 2 minute scene and we continue to hear non-stop complaints about it. Why don't y'all just stop watching if you can't handle hearing that racism exists.


Because it's fatiguing. They won't shut up about it even when it's not real or relevant - we had a laughably absurd comment by mom that aliens don't even recognize the black plight from space. LOL!!!

And I did stop watching. See my post above.


That message is almost straight from the comics. Except the original comment came from John Stewart himself.


And it's still stupid and absurd. And that actually makes it worse if he said it in comics because that means he said it in more modern era.

They can make these stories without injecting race wars into everything. It's very easy to do.

I wanted to watch a show about the Green Lanterns solving / fighting an alien predicament. Instead, we got that overlaid with the stereotypical, sitcom dumb and subtlety racist white guy bitter about having to train the smarter and physically superior black man. Hal's Midwest Huxtables comment? GTFO of here. lol.

Again, I love Pierre in the role so if Gunn doesn't get fired, which seems ever more likely at this point, we get to see him as GL in a different setting.


Again, more "I don't want to watch it because I don't want to believe it exists."

It was one part of one episode out of 4 episodes, and y'all can't handle that. The crash out from some of you over it is insane.


Has nothing to do with not wanting to believe it exists. It's simply an accumulation of so many things we watch going out of its way to make race relations worse amongst us. It's unnecessary, tiring, not entertaining, and not helpful.

Make a good show about the good guys fighting bad guys. We don't need another treatise on US black - white relations layered throughout.



A treatise? It was literally two sentences in 4 hours of television.
CharleyKerfeld
How long do you want to ignore this user?
11 new posts on a Sunday morning when the show doesn't air until tonight is never a good thing.
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Enrico Pallazzo said:

I'm still struggling that Garret Dillahunt is supposed to be Kelly Macdonald's father in law

New Rockstars has made the observation that a lot of the ages in this show seem a little suspect.

Though mathematically he could be Jason Ritter's dad, there's 20+ years between them.
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
YouBet said:

Average Joe said:

YouBet said:

PatAg said:

YouBet said:

Been busy and haven't watched this show since the pilot came out. Caught up on E2 and E3 tonight.

Gunn has totally lost me at this point. He won't survive his own DC reboot. I was so pumped about this show and all I got with these two episodes was racial, whiny b.s. It's just exhausting at this point and ruins the show.

I love Pierre in this role and hope we see him elsewhere. But the story around him is total crap. Moving on. Looking forward to the Reevesverse because the Gunn version sucks.

You're entitled to your own opinion, but this is doing very well for HBO.


Well, that's totally fine if it's doing well for HBO. But, yes, IMO it's fatiguing.

One out of four episodes mentioned race in a 2 minute scene and we continue to hear non-stop complaints about it. Why don't y'all just stop watching if you can't handle hearing that racism exists.


Because it's fatiguing. They won't shut up about it even when it's not real or relevant - we had a laughably absurd comment by mom that aliens don't even recognize the black plight from space. LOL!!!

And I did stop watching. See my post above.

While her comment was a little willy, I actually thought the idea of the Guardians not understanding a concept of race among humans on this dirty backwater planet was kind of fascinating.
Enrico Pallazzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
fig96 said:

Enrico Pallazzo said:

I'm still struggling that Garret Dillahunt is supposed to be Kelly Macdonald's father in law

New Rockstars has made the observation that a lot of the ages in this show seem a little suspect.

Though mathematically he could be Jason Ritter's dad, there's 20+ years between them.


Right, I get it works mathematically, albeit takes the son being at least 10-15 years younger than her unless we're talking a teen pregnancy situation. But just from look, it's really weird to see it cast this way because Dillahunt and Macdonald seem like they could be the same age. I have had to remind myself through the series "wait, she's the daughter in law, lolwut". I feel like it's a casting miss when the audience feels that way to the point it causes confusion and there's not some purposeful age angle to the story; big picture, they just needed someone younger than Macdonald for this role
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
fig96 said:

YouBet said:

Average Joe said:

YouBet said:

PatAg said:

YouBet said:

Been busy and haven't watched this show since the pilot came out. Caught up on E2 and E3 tonight.

Gunn has totally lost me at this point. He won't survive his own DC reboot. I was so pumped about this show and all I got with these two episodes was racial, whiny b.s. It's just exhausting at this point and ruins the show.

I love Pierre in this role and hope we see him elsewhere. But the story around him is total crap. Moving on. Looking forward to the Reevesverse because the Gunn version sucks.

You're entitled to your own opinion, but this is doing very well for HBO.


Well, that's totally fine if it's doing well for HBO. But, yes, IMO it's fatiguing.

One out of four episodes mentioned race in a 2 minute scene and we continue to hear non-stop complaints about it. Why don't y'all just stop watching if you can't handle hearing that racism exists.


Because it's fatiguing. They won't shut up about it even when it's not real or relevant - we had a laughably absurd comment by mom that aliens don't even recognize the black plight from space. LOL!!!

And I did stop watching. See my post above.

While her comment was a little willy, I actually thought the idea of the Guardians not understanding a concept of race among humans on this dirty backwater planet was kind of fascinating.


Well, it makes total sense from the alien's POV....because it's an alien.

But mom whining about it is absurd. Your kid is being considered for the Lanterns regardless of his skin color because Aliens don't care and have no concept of it. So, STFU and take the W, mom!

Remember, I'm not posting here again! Seriously.
FL_Ag1998
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Average Joe said:

YouBet said:

Average Joe said:

YouBet said:

Average Joe said:

YouBet said:

Average Joe said:

YouBet said:

PatAg said:

YouBet said:

Been busy and haven't watched this show since the pilot came out. Caught up on E2 and E3 tonight.

Gunn has totally lost me at this point. He won't survive his own DC reboot. I was so pumped about this show and all I got with these two episodes was racial, whiny b.s. It's just exhausting at this point and ruins the show.

I love Pierre in this role and hope we see him elsewhere. But the story around him is total crap. Moving on. Looking forward to the Reevesverse because the Gunn version sucks.

You're entitled to your own opinion, but this is doing very well for HBO.


Well, that's totally fine if it's doing well for HBO. But, yes, IMO it's fatiguing.

One out of four episodes mentioned race in a 2 minute scene and we continue to hear non-stop complaints about it. Why don't y'all just stop watching if you can't handle hearing that racism exists.


Because it's fatiguing. They won't shut up about it even when it's not real or relevant - we had a laughably absurd comment by mom that aliens don't even recognize the black plight from space. LOL!!!

And I did stop watching. See my post above.


That message is almost straight from the comics. Except the original comment came from John Stewart himself.


And it's still stupid and absurd. And that actually makes it worse if he said it in comics because that means he said it in more modern era.

They can make these stories without injecting race wars into everything. It's very easy to do.

I wanted to watch a show about the Green Lanterns solving / fighting an alien predicament. Instead, we got that overlaid with the stereotypical, sitcom dumb and subtlety racist white guy bitter about having to train the smarter and physically superior black man. Hal's Midwest Huxtables comment? GTFO of here. lol.

Again, I love Pierre in the role so if Gunn doesn't get fired, which seems ever more likely at this point, we get to see him as GL in a different setting.


Again, more "I don't want to watch it because I don't want to believe it exists."

It was one part of one episode out of 4 episodes, and y'all can't handle that. The crash out from some of you over it is insane.


Has nothing to do with not wanting to believe it exists. It's simply an accumulation of so many things we watch going out of its way to make race relations worse amongst us. It's unnecessary, tiring, not entertaining, and not helpful.

Make a good show about the good guys fighting bad guys. We don't need another treatise on US black - white relations layered throughout.



A treatise? It was literally two sentences in 4 hours of television.


Youbet's point was the overall race-related commentary (both plot commentary and dialogue) in the show, which is way more than just two lines. The writer of episode three acknowledges the whole point of that episode revolves around John being black. It's intellectually dishonest to try to parse out the argument into just a line of dialogue here and there.
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Enrico Pallazzo said:

fig96 said:

Enrico Pallazzo said:

I'm still struggling that Garret Dillahunt is supposed to be Kelly Macdonald's father in law

New Rockstars has made the observation that a lot of the ages in this show seem a little suspect.

Though mathematically he could be Jason Ritter's dad, there's 20+ years between them.


Right, I get it works mathematically, albeit takes the son being at least 10-15 years younger than her unless we're talking a teen pregnancy situation. But just from look, it's really weird to see it cast this way because Dillahunt and Macdonald seem like they could be the same age. I have had to remind myself through the series "wait, she's the daughter in law, lolwut". I feel like it's a casting miss when the audience feels that way to the point it causes confusion and there's not some purposeful age angle to the story; big picture, they just needed someone younger than Macdonald for this role

Yeah, she's like 10 years older than her husband and like 10 years younger than her father in law, which while a little odd does sometimes happen.

I think she's great in the part though.
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

Average Joe said:

YouBet said:

Average Joe said:

YouBet said:

Average Joe said:

YouBet said:

Average Joe said:

YouBet said:

PatAg said:

YouBet said:

Been busy and haven't watched this show since the pilot came out. Caught up on E2 and E3 tonight.

Gunn has totally lost me at this point. He won't survive his own DC reboot. I was so pumped about this show and all I got with these two episodes was racial, whiny b.s. It's just exhausting at this point and ruins the show.

I love Pierre in this role and hope we see him elsewhere. But the story around him is total crap. Moving on. Looking forward to the Reevesverse because the Gunn version sucks.

You're entitled to your own opinion, but this is doing very well for HBO.


Well, that's totally fine if it's doing well for HBO. But, yes, IMO it's fatiguing.

One out of four episodes mentioned race in a 2 minute scene and we continue to hear non-stop complaints about it. Why don't y'all just stop watching if you can't handle hearing that racism exists.


Because it's fatiguing. They won't shut up about it even when it's not real or relevant - we had a laughably absurd comment by mom that aliens don't even recognize the black plight from space. LOL!!!

And I did stop watching. See my post above.


That message is almost straight from the comics. Except the original comment came from John Stewart himself.


And it's still stupid and absurd. And that actually makes it worse if he said it in comics because that means he said it in more modern era.

They can make these stories without injecting race wars into everything. It's very easy to do.

I wanted to watch a show about the Green Lanterns solving / fighting an alien predicament. Instead, we got that overlaid with the stereotypical, sitcom dumb and subtlety racist white guy bitter about having to train the smarter and physically superior black man. Hal's Midwest Huxtables comment? GTFO of here. lol.

Again, I love Pierre in the role so if Gunn doesn't get fired, which seems ever more likely at this point, we get to see him as GL in a different setting.


Again, more "I don't want to watch it because I don't want to believe it exists."

It was one part of one episode out of 4 episodes, and y'all can't handle that. The crash out from some of you over it is insane.


Has nothing to do with not wanting to believe it exists. It's simply an accumulation of so many things we watch going out of its way to make race relations worse amongst us. It's unnecessary, tiring, not entertaining, and not helpful.

Make a good show about the good guys fighting bad guys. We don't need another treatise on US black - white relations layered throughout.



A treatise? It was literally two sentences in 4 hours of television.


Youbet's point was the overall race-related commentary (both plot commentary and dialogue) in the show, which is way more than just two lines. The writer of episode three acknowledges the whole point of that episode revolves around John being black. It's intellectually dishonest to try to parse out the argument into just a line of dialogue here and there.

No worse than being surprised or having an issue with 1 episode of a show having that theme when the show is about one of the only major black superheroes who's history in the comics has revolved around race.
Saxsoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
fig96 said:

Enrico Pallazzo said:

I'm still struggling that Garret Dillahunt is supposed to be Kelly Macdonald's father in law

New Rockstars has made the observation that a lot of the ages in this show seem a little suspect.

Though mathematically he could be Jason Ritter's dad, there's 20+ years between them.


I honestly thought he was 45. Dude looks great for 61.

Grandma is more off, she would have been 7 years old with Jason Ritter
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saxsoon said:

fig96 said:

Enrico Pallazzo said:

I'm still struggling that Garret Dillahunt is supposed to be Kelly Macdonald's father in law

New Rockstars has made the observation that a lot of the ages in this show seem a little suspect.

Though mathematically he could be Jason Ritter's dad, there's 20+ years between them.


I honestly thought he was 45. Dude looks great for 61.

Grandma is more off, she would have been 7 years old with Jason Ritter

He really does, I assumed he was early to mid 50s only because I know he's been around for so long.

And yeah, also doesn't look like they together would have made him. But also possible she's not supposed to be his mom.
Average Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

Average Joe said:

YouBet said:

Average Joe said:

YouBet said:

Average Joe said:

YouBet said:

Average Joe said:

YouBet said:

PatAg said:

YouBet said:

Been busy and haven't watched this show since the pilot came out. Caught up on E2 and E3 tonight.

Gunn has totally lost me at this point. He won't survive his own DC reboot. I was so pumped about this show and all I got with these two episodes was racial, whiny b.s. It's just exhausting at this point and ruins the show.

I love Pierre in this role and hope we see him elsewhere. But the story around him is total crap. Moving on. Looking forward to the Reevesverse because the Gunn version sucks.

You're entitled to your own opinion, but this is doing very well for HBO.


Well, that's totally fine if it's doing well for HBO. But, yes, IMO it's fatiguing.

One out of four episodes mentioned race in a 2 minute scene and we continue to hear non-stop complaints about it. Why don't y'all just stop watching if you can't handle hearing that racism exists.


Because it's fatiguing. They won't shut up about it even when it's not real or relevant - we had a laughably absurd comment by mom that aliens don't even recognize the black plight from space. LOL!!!

And I did stop watching. See my post above.


That message is almost straight from the comics. Except the original comment came from John Stewart himself.


And it's still stupid and absurd. And that actually makes it worse if he said it in comics because that means he said it in more modern era.

They can make these stories without injecting race wars into everything. It's very easy to do.

I wanted to watch a show about the Green Lanterns solving / fighting an alien predicament. Instead, we got that overlaid with the stereotypical, sitcom dumb and subtlety racist white guy bitter about having to train the smarter and physically superior black man. Hal's Midwest Huxtables comment? GTFO of here. lol.

Again, I love Pierre in the role so if Gunn doesn't get fired, which seems ever more likely at this point, we get to see him as GL in a different setting.


Again, more "I don't want to watch it because I don't want to believe it exists."

It was one part of one episode out of 4 episodes, and y'all can't handle that. The crash out from some of you over it is insane.


Has nothing to do with not wanting to believe it exists. It's simply an accumulation of so many things we watch going out of its way to make race relations worse amongst us. It's unnecessary, tiring, not entertaining, and not helpful.

Make a good show about the good guys fighting bad guys. We don't need another treatise on US black - white relations layered throughout.



A treatise? It was literally two sentences in 4 hours of television.


Youbet's point was the overall race-related commentary (both plot commentary and dialogue) in the show, which is way more than just two lines. The writer of episode three acknowledges the whole point of that episode revolves around John being black. It's intellectually dishonest to try to parse out the argument into just a line of dialogue here and there.

It's also morally dishonest to ignore history just because you don't like the message. John Stewart was literally written for the civil rights movement.

If this was green aliens discussing their enslavement by blue aliens then y'all wouldn't bat an eye.
Lathspell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you don't like the conversation then don't engage. For someone acting high and mighty about the race bull****, you seem to lack any self control.

Because someone watches a show that is heavy handed with racebaiting, and then responds to said racebaiting, that person is now obsessed or wants to believe racism isn't a thing? What an idiotic take lacking in any logic.

The US is not as racist as every left leaning individual likes to act like it is. Especially if you were to ever get out of your bubble and visit the rest of the world. Countries that are not predominantly white are WAY more racist than the US or Europe. So when we are bludgeoned with this in our entertainment, we will call it out for the dumbassery it is. Sorry that upsets your gentle bleeding heart.

People can be racist. It's a very normal human thing to be wary or untrusting of those who look different than the rest in our community. Who. The. ****. Cares. The whining about anyone having a racist thought is so fatiguing. Whether an individual has any racist ideas is irrelevant. The point is this country is not systemically racist, and definitely wasn't in the 90's.

Now, if this show was set in the 1960's south? Okay, now you have reality in a show. (ie: The Green Book)
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have any thoughts/predictions for tonight instead of just spinning in circles? My big concern right now is that based on some of the conversation from the people involved with this show they expected the "the wife is the manhunter" thing to be some kind of "oh ****" twist but it absolutely did not land for me. Not only was it predictable but the way it was done was kind of strange:
Average Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lathspell said:

If you don't like the conversation then don't engage. For someone acting high and mighty about the race bull****, you seem to lack any self control.

Because someone watches a show that is heavy handed with racebaiting, and then responds to said racebaiting, that person is now obsessed or wants to believe racism isn't a thing? What an idiotic take lacking in any logic.

The US is not as racist as every left leaning individual likes to act like it is. Especially if you were to ever get out of your bubble and visit the rest of the world. Countries that are not predominantly white are WAY more racist than the US or Europe. So when we are bludgeoned with this in our entertainment, we will call it out for the dumbassery it is. Sorry that upsets your gentle bleeding heart.

People can be racist. It's a very normal human thing to be wary or untrusting of those who look different than the rest in our community. Who. The. ****. Cares. The whining about anyone having a racist thought is so fatiguing. Whether an individual has any racist ideas is irrelevant. The point is this country is not systemically racist, and definitely wasn't in the 90's.

Now, if this show was set in the 1960's south? Okay, now you have reality in a show. (ie: The Green Book)

My issue is that the show has been excellent to this point, but people are weirdly hung up on part of one episode because of politics. Despite its general accuracy to the source material. It's just an insanely stupid to me for y'all to be so hung up on something that ultimately didn't play much of a role in more than part of a single episode.

To claim what has aired so far is being 'heavy handed with race baiting' is asinine, and to claim racism wasn't a thing in the '90s is beyond stupid. You don't think Rodney King and the LA riots caused tensions?

Also, the bolded part is wild.
FL_Ag1998
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Go back and watch Episode 1, just the very beginning when John calls his dad and his dad makes a comment that "they're allowed to have tantrums, but we're not" (or something similar). Who is the "they" his dad is referencing?

In episode 2, when John and granny are in the diner talking, granny asks john "hey, where's your white man at?"

And I believe its in Episode 4 that John and granny are in bed and granny makes a statement that "white men have the privilege of being eccentric."

But sure, there's no overarching focus on race in this series.

No one on this thread has denied that racism exists. Go ahead Average Joe, prove me wrong on that point. No one has said it can't be addressed either. We already had this discussion several pages back, and I gave you examples of how race has actually been handled much better in the Jon Stewart comic books than the over the top hamfisted way it's been handled in this show.

To be honest, I'm actually more irritated how this show keeps insisting that Jon Stewart deserves the ring (because he's black and his psycho mom abused him as a kid and convinced him that it was stolen from his pansy of a dad), meanwhile Hal only has it because he's a white man and has never done anything to earn it....other than you know, protecting the Earth against alien threats, taking down Sinestro, etc.
Lathspell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Why is it wild? It's literally the way humans are all across the world. Again, your liberal brain rot is showing. Acknowledging reality is not "wild".

And yes, I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape because other people have racist ideas. Who cares. Ignore them and move on with your life instead of getting worked up because someone has a thought you don't like.

And no, there was nothing systemically racist in the US in the 90's. Race relations getting heated and systemic racism are two completely different things. You're so obsessed with race, apparently, that you can't understand the difference.
FL_Ag1998
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bobinator said:

Anyone have any thoughts/predictions for tonight instead of just spinning in circles? My big concern right now is that based on some of the conversation from the people involved with this show they expected the "the wife is the manhunter" thing to be some kind of "oh ****" twist but it absolutely did not land for me. Not only was it predictable but the way it was done was kind of strange:




As for the actual plot, I'm gonna restate what I posted earlier in the thread that I think Laura Linney's character, the Guardian, is not really a Guardian. I think that's the overall big twist, not granny being the manhunter.
Average Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lathspell said:

Why is it wild? It's literally the way humans are all across the world. Again, your liberal brain rot is showing. Acknowledging reality is not "wild".

And yes, I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape because other people have racist ideas. Who cares. Ignore them and move on with your life instead of getting worked up because someone has a thought you don't like.

And no, there was nothing systemically racist in the US in the 90's. Race relations getting heated and systemic racism are two completely different things. You're so obsessed with race, apparently, that you can't understand the difference.

I'm not a liberal, and have never voted liberal. So, again, y'all are bringing politics into places it doesn't belong.

I'm not obsessed with racism. I watched the episode and kept moving along with the thought of "ok, the mom is psycho, but I guess I can see what they are getting at." Not once did I have a single thought about race baiting, or anything of the sort, until I got on TexAgs and saw the outrage about how the show is ruined because it's so 'woke' and other nonsense.

Then, once I thought we were passed the stupid complaints, more trickle in and the typical posters are right back complaining about how racism isn't real and now how people should be allowed to be racist and it's not a big deal.

Once again, dumbasses can't look 2 inches past politics and enjoy the rest of life.
CharleyKerfeld
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I can't believe it took this long for the thread to devolve into broad sweeping statements about racism in America. You're slupping, Texags!
Average Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

bobinator said:

Anyone have any thoughts/predictions for tonight instead of just spinning in circles? My big concern right now is that based on some of the conversation from the people involved with this show they expected the "the wife is the manhunter" thing to be some kind of "oh ****" twist but it absolutely did not land for me. Not only was it predictable but the way it was done was kind of strange:




As for the actual plot, I'm gonna restate what I posted earlier in the thread that I think Laura Linney's character, the Guardian, is not really a Guardian. I think that's the overall big twist, not granny being the manhunter.

I didn't think that once until you brought it up and now I'm all-in on that theory.
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CharleyKerfeld said:

I can't believe it took this long for the thread to devolve into broad sweeping statements about racism in America. You're slupping, Texags!


Here to serve!
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I like this but I think it's more likely she's like a rogue guardian than not one. Between all of the communications between the characters I think it would have been outed already if she wasn't one at all right?

She's talking to John, the actual guardians are talking to Hal (they did tell him about John presumably), she's talking to John's parents, Hal and John are talking to each other, Hal is probably talking to other lanterns, etc.
Lathspell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Average Joe said:

Lathspell said:

Why is it wild? It's literally the way humans are all across the world. Again, your liberal brain rot is showing. Acknowledging reality is not "wild".

And yes, I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape because other people have racist ideas. Who cares. Ignore them and move on with your life instead of getting worked up because someone has a thought you don't like.

And no, there was nothing systemically racist in the US in the 90's. Race relations getting heated and systemic racism are two completely different things. You're so obsessed with race, apparently, that you can't understand the difference.

I'm not a liberal, and have never voted liberal. So, again, y'all are bringing politics into places it doesn't belong.

I'm not obsessed with racism. I watched the episode and kept moving along with the thought of "ok, the mom is psycho, but I guess I can see what they are getting at." Not once did I have a single thought about race baiting, or anything of the sort, until I got on TexAgs and saw the outrage about how the show is ruined because it's so 'woke' and other nonsense.

Then, once I thought we were passed the stupid complaints, more trickle in and the typical posters are right back complaining about how racism isn't real and now how people should be allowed to be racist and it's not a big deal.

Once again, dumbasses can't look 2 inches past politics and enjoy the rest of life.

Your reading comprehension is bad.

No one has said racism isn't real. Literally no one. And yet, you have posted this same thing several times, as though it is a fact pulled from this thread. You have already made up a narrative in your head and you refuse to let it go.

And this statement about "how people should be allowed to be racist and it's not a big deal" is another ridiculous take. I know it's difficult to understand nuance, but try to think just a little bit. Are you saying the government should mandate that all people love all races and never have a racist thought? If not, then people should be allowed to have any opinion they want. It doesn't matter.

And no... it's not a big deal. People have all kinds of irrational thoughts. Why are you so hellbent on thought-policing? I never said I agree with racists or think it's a good thing to be racist. I simply said it exists and I don't live my life caring about it. In my 39 years on this planet, I've had people make side racist comments to me several times as though I'm supposed to agree with them. I just look at them, shake my head, and move on with my life. Hell, I've had people tell me how much they hate immigrants or hispanics. My mom and her entire side of the family immigrated from Colombia. I don't stop and lecture them on the evils of their racist thoughts. Because... again, I know it's hard to keep up, IT DOESN'T MATTER. Nobody should care if some random person somewhere in the world hates black people, hispanic people, white people, asian people, etc. Who. ****ing. Cares. Move on with your life.
Average Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

Go back and watch Episode 1, just the very beginning when John calls his dad and his dad makes a comment that "they're allowed to have tantrums, but we're not" (or something similar). Who is the "they" his dad is referencing?

In episode 2, when John and granny are in the diner talking, granny asks john "hey, where's your white man at?"

And I believe its in Episode 4 that John and granny are in bed and granny makes a statement that "white men have the privilege of being eccentric."

But sure, there's no overarching focus on race in this series.

No one on this thread has denied that racism exists. Go ahead Average Joe, prove me wrong on that point. No one has said it can't be addressed either. We already had this discussion several pages back, and I gave you examples of how race has actually been handled much better in the Jon Stewart comic books than the over the top hamfisted way it's been handled in this show.

To be honest, I'm actually more irritated how this show keeps insisting that Jon Stewart deserves the ring (because he's black and his psycho mom abused him as a kid and convinced him that it was stolen from his pansy of a dad), meanwhile Hal only has it because he's a white man and has never done anything to earn it....other than you know, protecting the Earth against alien threats, taking down Sinestro, etc.

Yesterday at the game the old man behind me said that the problem with our offense is that we have a "quarterblack, and they never have what it takes between the ears." That kind of talk is still pretty typical on the daily.

As for the bolded section, if your theory is correct then that all makes sense to the plot. If the old lady is a fake guardian then she's manipulating this entire thing and the one that basically stoked the first, threw gasoline on it, and is causing all of the tensions. Including being the one to plant the idea that John Stewart deserves the ring.
Average Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lathspell said:

Average Joe said:

Lathspell said:

Why is it wild? It's literally the way humans are all across the world. Again, your liberal brain rot is showing. Acknowledging reality is not "wild".

And yes, I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape because other people have racist ideas. Who cares. Ignore them and move on with your life instead of getting worked up because someone has a thought you don't like.

And no, there was nothing systemically racist in the US in the 90's. Race relations getting heated and systemic racism are two completely different things. You're so obsessed with race, apparently, that you can't understand the difference.

I'm not a liberal, and have never voted liberal. So, again, y'all are bringing politics into places it doesn't belong.

I'm not obsessed with racism. I watched the episode and kept moving along with the thought of "ok, the mom is psycho, but I guess I can see what they are getting at." Not once did I have a single thought about race baiting, or anything of the sort, until I got on TexAgs and saw the outrage about how the show is ruined because it's so 'woke' and other nonsense.

Then, once I thought we were passed the stupid complaints, more trickle in and the typical posters are right back complaining about how racism isn't real and now how people should be allowed to be racist and it's not a big deal.

Once again, dumbasses can't look 2 inches past politics and enjoy the rest of life.

Your reading comprehension is bad.

No one has said racism isn't real. Literally no one. And yet, you have posted this same thing several times, as though it is a fact pulled from this thread. You have already made up a narrative in your head and you refuse to let it go.

And this statement about "how people should be allowed to be racist and it's not a big deal" is another ridiculous take. I know it's difficult to understand nuance, but try to think just a little bit. Are you saying the government should mandate that all people love all races and never have a racist thought? If not, then people should be allowed to have any opinion they want. It doesn't matter.

And no... it's not a big deal. People have all kinds of irrational thoughts. Why are you so hellbent on thought-policing? I never said I agree with racists or think it's a good thing to be racist. I simply said it exists and I don't live my life caring about it. In my 39 years on this planet, I've had people make side racist comments to me several times as though I'm supposed to agree with them. I just look at them, shake my head, and move on with my life. Hell, I've had people tell me how much they hate immigrants or hispanics. My mom and her entire side of the family immigrated from Colombia. I don't stop and lecture them on the evils of their racist thoughts. Because... again, I know it's hard to keep up, IT DOESN'T MATTER. Nobody should care if some random person somewhere in the world hates black people, hispanic people, white people, asian people, etc. Who. ****ing. Cares. Move on with your life.

You said systematic racism didn't exist in the '90s.

The bolded part is all that I have ever said people in this thread should do. Ignore the parts they keep calling 'race baiting' and act like the entire show is ruined because part of the plot included black people feeling scared of white people in the urban area of a big city in the '90s. It's absolutely stupid to spend so much brainpower complaining about something so insignificant.

Since racism is obviously real, and everyone agrees to that, then why is it so absurd for it to be a plot point?

Lathspell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've seen one or two people say that caused them to check out. I personally said it was hamfisted and stupid but am intrigued enough with the overarching story and characters to continue to see where the story goes. There are many others who share my opinions on that subject matter who are also engaged.

It's a discussion board and this thread is about a show. If they say it in the show, it's fair game to discuss.

And, again, if you don't want to even discuss the racism stuff, simply don't respond to the poster who brought it up. You Bet apparently started watching, saw that episode and was turned off by it. He then posted his thoughts on the board. That's it. Then you and others respond directly to him and just expect everyone else to shut up and not respond to yall. The hypocrisy is eye-roll inducing.

ETA: And, as has been pointed out earlier, if they were so "scared" of whitey, why did his parents drop him off in the middle of the ghetto instead of white suburbia?
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

Go back and watch Episode 1, just the very beginning when John calls his dad and his dad makes a comment that "they're allowed to have tantrums, but we're not" (or something similar). Who is the "they" his dad is referencing?

In episode 2, when John and granny are in the diner talking, granny asks john "hey, where's your white man at?"

And I believe its in Episode 4 that John and granny are in bed and granny makes a statement that "white men have the privilege of being eccentric."

But sure, there's no overarching focus on race in this series.

No one on this thread has denied that racism exists. Go ahead Average Joe, prove me wrong on that point. No one has said it can't be addressed either. We already had this discussion several pages back, and I gave you examples of how race has actually been handled much better in the Jon Stewart comic books than the over the top hamfisted way it's been handled in this show.

To be honest, I'm actually more irritated how this show keeps insisting that Jon Stewart deserves the ring (because he's black and his psycho mom abused him as a kid and convinced him that it was stolen from his pansy of a dad), meanwhile Hal only has it because he's a white man and has never done anything to earn it....other than you know, protecting the Earth against alien threats, taking down Sinestro, etc.

Characters from different backgrounds will have different opinions. Not every character has those same opinions, but it's silly for characters who would think that way not to do so.
CharleyKerfeld
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lathspell said:



ETA: And, as has been pointed out earlier, if they were so "scared" of whitey, why did his parents drop him off in the middle of the ghetto instead of white suburbia?

Because a bad neighbor is full of people who don't mind breaking the law and hurting someone physically.

White suburbia is generally people who follow the law.

The problems black people and other minorities have had over time with white people in the late 20th century and early 21st century involve much subtler forms of discrimination.

Dropping him off in the bad neighborhood had nothing to do with racism.
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bobinator said:

Anyone have any thoughts/predictions for tonight instead of just spinning in circles? My big concern right now is that based on some of the conversation from the people involved with this show they expected the "the wife is the manhunter" thing to be some kind of "oh ****" twist but it absolutely did not land for me. Not only was it predictable but the way it was done was kind of strange:

My big question is how we go from 2016 to 2026 and when that happens. It seems like there's some kind of closure to the 2016 case, that we should be rapidly approaching, then we're brought to present day by something else.
CharleyKerfeld
How long do you want to ignore this user?
fig96 said:

bobinator said:

Anyone have any thoughts/predictions for tonight instead of just spinning in circles? My big concern right now is that based on some of the conversation from the people involved with this show they expected the "the wife is the manhunter" thing to be some kind of "oh ****" twist but it absolutely did not land for me. Not only was it predictable but the way it was done was kind of strange:

My big question is how we go from 2016 to 2026 and when that happens. It seems like there's some kind of closure to the 2016 case, that we should be rapidly approaching, then we're brought to present day by something else.

And the fact that Guy Gardner is the one with the ring.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.