***** THE ACOLYTE Show Discussion (see note inside) Thread *****

156,175 Views | 1971 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
Cliff.Booth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Places that are less moderated. Imagine this thread if a certain 2 or 3 posters who don't like dissent that much and want to control the conversation were suddenly deputized by staff to hand out permabans. That's what happened to Reddit and now it sucks.
Cliff.Booth
If you get on X and search Acolyte and browse through the most popular posts, that gives you a more raw sense of how people are feeling. Majority don't like it, some are are on the fence, and a few are very, very jazzed by it.
ABATTBQ11
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

I think all parties involved know the jedi are lying about thinking nobody lived there. How so you know they built the facility? Star Wars is full of people living somewhere built by some other culture.

Yeah, but the implication is that they're the only ones there or it's at least very sparsely populated. And if these witches are so unwelcome in the galaxy that they've had to hide away, I'm pretty sure they're not going to hide around a bunch of other people.

Yeah, sure they could have moved there after sometime else built it, but I find it a little hard to believe that there was this giant castle thing built into a mountain in the middle of nowhere and just left there, only for these witches to luckily find it later.

The Rebel Alliance used the giant temples on Yavin Iv as a base in the middle of nowhere on a planet that nobody else lived on. What's the difference?

How do you know no one lived there? The rebel alliance was also really big and had a far wider knowledge base. Is a lot more likely that an alliance with probably millions of people from across the galaxy would have a lot more esoteric knowledge than a few dozen witches.
redline248
AG
Was everyone we see in that village a member of the coven?
ABATTBQ11
AG
That's how I saw it.
jokershady
AG
Thunderstruck xx said:

redline248 said:

I was talking to my son about this show. He is still on the young side, and very much likes the animated stuff. He hasn't watched this show yet. Anyway, I told him, this show is about the height of the Jedi, and we've barely seen anyone use a lightsaber yet.

For someone who grew up pretending to be Luke Skywalker and having imaginary lightsaber battles...that's what is missing, for me. Holding out hope for some real action, later. At least some is coming, based on the trailers.

This show feels very much like The Last Jedi in terms of the disappointment it's bringing for Star Wars fans. If I remember correctly, we didn't get a single real lightsaber fight in that movie. Everyone wanted to see an old and very powerful Luke Skywalker in a lightsaber fight, but instead we got hermit Luke drinking green milk.

We got the thrown room fight which was two people using lightsabers but on other people so they never touched blades once (and man that scene does not hold up after watching it a second time)…..and then it was Kylo ren vs fake Luke so….yeah….not a real traditional lightsaber fight….

That being said that's not why The Last Jedi was terrible
The Porkchop Express
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

I think all parties involved know the jedi are lying about thinking nobody lived there. How so you know they built the facility? Star Wars is full of people living somewhere built by some other culture.

Yeah, but the implication is that they're the only ones there or it's at least very sparsely populated. And if these witches are so unwelcome in the galaxy that they've had to hide away, I'm pretty sure they're not going to hide around a bunch of other people.

Yeah, sure they could have moved there after sometime else built it, but I find it a little hard to believe that there was this giant castle thing built into a mountain in the middle of nowhere and just left there, only for these witches to luckily find it later.

The Rebel Alliance used the giant temples on Yavin Iv as a base in the middle of nowhere on a planet that nobody else lived on. What's the difference?

How do you know no one lived there? The rebel alliance was also really big and had a far wider knowledge base. Is a lot more likely that an alliance with probably millions of people from across the galaxy would have a lot more esoteric knowledge than a few dozen witches.
Because it says so in the original Star Wars novel
The Porkchop Express
AG
Cliff.Booth said:

If you get on X and search Acolyte and browse through the most popular posts, that gives you a more raw sense of how people are feeling. Majority don't like it, some are are on the fence, and a few are very, very jazzed by it.
Here's a few links for you to look over:

Offical "The Acolyte" Series Discussion Thread on The FOrce.net. It's 230 pages long. with 5,736 replies and 252,250 views.

This is the Season 1, Episode 3 Discussion thread. It's 18 pages long for a show that came out 2 days ago.
Each sub-thread has a poll that lets users grade the episode, but only if you're a registered member of TheForce.net.

So far, the poll has 71 votes on it. 50 out of 71 people gave it a ranking of 6 -10. There is a lot of criticism about the episode, but a lot of praise as well.

The Episode 2 poll shows that 80 people voted, and 74 of them gave the show a 7 or higher.

here's the StarWarsleaks Redit page discussion of Episode 3. Most of the people there seem to be discussing it, not bashing it. This is a reddit with 415,000 people in it.

I have no doubt that Twitter is full of people that dislike the Acolyte. I'm sure some of them have seen it and dislike it for very legit reasons, and some of them dislike it because it gets them attention.

But to tell me that Star Wars fans are disappointed in it because of what is being said on Twitter, while there are these huge hubs of fan communities enjoying and discussing the show 24/7 is ignorant at best.
Cliff.Booth
Any forum or website or platform that lets power-hungry mods silence users or ban them for opinions becomes an echo chamber, period. X is full of the opinions that would get people booted from little fan forums and subreddits.
Charlie Conway

Cliff.Booth said:

Here's a few links for you to look over:

Offical "The Acolyte" Series Discussion Thread on The FOrce.net. It's 230 pages long. with 5,736 replies and 252,250 views.

This is the Season 1, Episode 3 Discussion thread. It's 18 pages long for a show that came out 2 days ago.
Each sub-thread has a poll that lets users grade the episode, but only if you're a registered member of TheForce.net.

So far, the poll has 71 votes on it. 50 out of 71 people gave it a ranking of 6 -10. There is a lot of criticism about the episode, but a lot of praise as well.

The Episode 2 poll shows that 80 people voted, and 74 of them gave the show a 7 or higher.

here's the StarWarsleaks Redit page discussion of Episode 3. Most of the people there seem to be discussing it, not bashing it. This is a reddit with 415,000 people in it.

I have no doubt that Twitter is full of people that dislike the Acolyte. I'm sure some of them have seen it and dislike it for very legit reasons, and some of them dislike it because it gets them attention.

But to tell me that Star Wars fans are disappointed in it because of what is being said on Twitter, while there are these huge hubs of fan communities enjoying and discussing the show 24/7 is ignorant at best.
and if you sort the comments by controversial you'll see a bunch of comments that were downvoted because they didn't match the opinion of the majority on reddit
The Porkchop Express
AG
Cliff.Booth said:

Any forum or website or platform that lets power-hungry mods silence users or ban them for opinions becomes an echo chamber, period. X is full of the opinions that would get people booted from little fan forums and subreddits.
Are you talking about Reddit or The Force Net or Texags?

Also there's this stat about X.

The study concluded that not only has Twitter suspended millions of accounts, but there were also 312 accounts permanently or temporarily suspended, 21,039,393 accounts were actioned, and 24,781,425 tweets were deleted. Twitter's compliance rate between 2012 and 2021 was around 51% until 2021, when it dropped to 27%

So does that mean X is also an echo chamber? Period?

redline248
AG
Can we please stop discussing the merits of which websites have valid opinions in this thread? I am aware that a ton of people don't like the show and a ton of people do like the show. I don't care. Most of us here don't care.
The Porkchop Express
AG
redline248 said:

Can we please stop discussing the merits of which websites have valid opinions in this thread? I am aware that a ton of people don't like the show and a ton of people do like the show. I don't care. Most of us here don't care.
You bet, sorry I went off the rails.

Cliff.Booth

Cliff.Booth said:

The study concluded that not only has Twitter suspended millions of accounts, but there were also 312 accounts permanently or temporarily suspended, 21,039,393 accounts were actioned, and 24,781,425 tweets were deleted. Twitter's compliance rate between 2012 and 2021 was around 51% until 2021, when it dropped to 27%

No, it isn't. Like I said, if you browse you'll see opinions that are all over the place on Acolyte. Of course they've had a lot of bans and deletions, because you'll literally have ad-bot accounts and pron promotions, but I'm talking about what they DON'T have which your other sources do, which is mods literally banning people for just their opinion. Not going to go any further so as not to derail. Acolyte is not a popular show, as all ratings indicate.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Cliff.Booth said:

Cliff.Booth said:

No, it isn't. Like I said, if you browse you'll see opinions that are all over the place on Acolyte. Of course they've had a lot of bans and deletions, because you'll literally have ad-bot accounts and pron promotions, but I'm talking about what they DON'T have which your other sources do, which is mods literally banning people for just their opinion. Not going to go any further so as not to derail. Acolyte is not a popular show, as all ratings indicate.
OK Chief. the thousands of Star Wars fans on the 30-year Star Wars community don't count in your ratings, got it. let's move on.
Cliff.Booth
They're not representative of the much larger SW community, no, sport.
johncAG
AG
X literally has a system for blue check marks to get paid for bait/engagement tweets. Let's not act like it's the perfect system for discussion.
Cliff.Booth
Yeah definitely not perfect. My only point is that you can express yourself as a fan for whatever reason or critical for whatever reason and not have a some thought police ban you for it. That's all those SW forums and subreddits are.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Cliff.Booth said:

Yeah definitely not perfect. My only point is that you can express yourself as a fan for whatever reason or a critical for whatever reason and not have a some thought police ban you for it. That's all those SW forums and subreddits are.
ABATTBQ11
AG

ABATTBQ11 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Because it says so in the original Star Wars novel

I will cover that point then, but I still find it a little incredible that this tiny group just happened to find this giant facility on a sparsely to completely unpopulated backwater planet or somehow built it themselves.

The best explanation I could take would be that it's a temple built by the witches of Dathomir when they first arrived in the galaxy that was abandoned and reoccupied.
Quad Dog
AG
Cliff.Booth said:

Any unmoderated forum or website will drive away normal people and rational thought and also become an echo chamber.
Cliff.Booth
Well, most normal people aren't spending much time on X/reddit/web forums to begin with. But most people would far rather see opinions with which they disagree than exist in a place where certain viewpoints are silenced. Moderation is really only useful for getting rid of spam and promos, truly abusive/threatening language, doxxing attempts etc.
concac
AG
This thread has gone off the rails.

Reddit discussion is more productive and informative than TexAgs.
Urban Ag
AG
Thunderstruck xx said:

redline248 said:

I was talking to my son about this show. He is still on the young side, and very much likes the animated stuff. He hasn't watched this show yet. Anyway, I told him, this show is about the height of the Jedi, and we've barely seen anyone use a lightsaber yet.

For someone who grew up pretending to be Luke Skywalker and having imaginary lightsaber battles...that's what is missing, for me. Holding out hope for some real action, later. At least some is coming, based on the trailers.

This show feels very much like The Last Jedi in terms of the disappointment it's bringing for Star Wars fans. If I remember correctly, we didn't get a single real lightsaber fight in that movie. Everyone wanted to see an old and very powerful Luke Skywalker in a lightsaber fight, but instead we got hermit Luke drinking green milk.

I've been loosely following this thread out of genuine curiosity of how the series would be received. I'm not watching it. I cancelled D+ after Ahsoka out of honest disinterest in SW.

That said, if you're using the term "disappointment" after the ST, Kenobi, BOBF, Ahsoka, and the last season of Mando, I'm really perplexed at this point what it is you're holding out for. Honestly. I'm a Gen X dad that grew absolutely loving SW. I was disappointed with the PT but I didn't hate it. In the Disney era I've only loved one production, Rogue One, and found Solo to be "just ok". For everything else, I can't see a scenario where I would even waste a lazy Sunday afternoon watching 30 minutes of any of it again.

None of my Gen X dad peer group is still watching SW. Everyone checked out. Most after Last Jedi. SW discussion ended years ago. And our kids aren't watching it. My wife is a middle school librarian and absolutely has a pulse on what young people are interested in and SW isn't a thing for most of them.

My unsolicited advice would be to just give up and move on. Why keep setting yourself up for disappointment and complaining to those that seem to enjoy it. You do realize, I hope, that the discussion here is mainly among fans who are NEVER going to give up on this franchise. And that's fine. In fact, it's great that they still enjoy it. More power to them.

Come over to the dark side.
Flashdiaz
AG
it seems like each new Star Wars story, it just cheapens Anakin.
- Sequel trilogy brings Palps back... so why did Anakin die again if he didn't finish him?
- ObiWan series - Obi fought Vader and beat him ... again
- Rebels - Ashoka fights him and breaks his helmet
- Acolyte - Anakin wasn't the only one born out of the Force.

Which highlights a huge disconnect between long term fans and the People making these shows. For years after Jedi, we heard about how Vader hunted down and killed Jedi. As fans most of us dreamed about what that would look like.
Then Revenge of the Sith comes around and that part is shown in a short grainy hologram.
Rogue One hit on it briefly with Vader scene but that's it.
And now many shows have come and gone without giving us what we truly want... Vader kicking ass.

edit: I will add that I love new stories like Andor that have nothing to do with Skywalkers. Just stop going back to the Anakin\Vader well to cheapen him.
Cliff.Booth
Flashdiaz said:

And now many shows have come and gone without giving us what we truly want... Vader kicking ass.

****ing spot on. I swear if Disney gave me $200 mil and told me to just go wild and actually make a profit, I'd make the sickest storyline that would bring the SW masses back to the table. It should be an open layup to make anything SW that has a mid-high IMDB rating and makes bank.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Thanks again for staying on topic, guys.
Moral High Horse
Cliff.Booth said:

Flashdiaz said:

****ing spot on. I swear if Disney gave me $200 mil and told me to just go wild and actually make a profit, I'd make the sickest storyline that would bring the SW masses back to the table. It should be an open layup to make anything SW that has a mid-high IMDB rating and makes bank.
A couple of ideas:

Rogue Two - Many Bothans dying
Book of Bobba Fett Season 2 - Season 1 was all a dream inside the sarlaac and Bobba escapes, behaves more like a bad guy. It's the Sopranos of star wars
Chewie - Think John Wick but with Chewbacca, someone kills his Porg
Knights of the Old Republic

Seriously, how ***king difficult is this?
Malachi Constant
AG
This is a totally legitimate question. I haven't read this thread, nor have I read any other fan forums regarding The Acolyte. I have not watched any of The Acolyte yet either. I plan to start it this weekend.

All I've seen is some random things on twitter that talk about how this show is garbage Star Wars lore and has a lot of woke stuff in it. Is that true?
Cliff.Booth
Yes. But watch it and judge for yourself.
jeffk
AG
No. But watch it and judge for yourself.
Red Five
AG
The answer is both yes and no. But watch it and judge for yourself.
Moral High Horse
Yes. Don't watch it. You're welcome. Saved you 8 episodes of time of a show that isn't coming back.
PatAg
AG
What happened to reddit was people like you found it
The Porkchop Express
AG
https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2440759/last

The General Star Wars thread for Star wars convo

This thread is about discussing what happens on the screen of the Acolyte.

It can't be that difficult.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.