***** THE ACOLYTE Show Discussion (see note inside) Thread *****

154,508 Views | 1971 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
Indianrider
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Make it gay and put a chicken in it Kennedy needs to go.
Heineken-Ashi
Urban Ag said:

Moral High Horse said:

jokershady said:

Rogue One IS the best Star Wars movie.

There needs to be a Rogue Two
Well, there's a slight problem with that...........
Somebody had to steal plans of the 2nd death star, right?

There.. that was easy.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
PatAg
AG
[Calling out moderation isn't the way to go -- Staff]
Redstone
AG
This thread has been excellent for my Star count so I hope we can abide by Staff / Moderator rules and keep it going. Anyway -

My son didn't engage the content, even after I tried to explain BIPOC Representation to him (2nd grade, so easily distracted). His preference is for the Hayden Christensen films….even after I explained how Problematic Jar Jar Binks is.
Urban Ag
AG
Redstone said:

This thread has been excellent for my Star count so I hope we can abide by Staff / Moderator rules and keep it going. Anyway -

My son didn't engage the content, even after I tried to explain BIPOC Representation to him (2nd grade, so easily distracted). His preference is for the Hayden Christensen films….even after I explained how Problematic Jar Jar Binks is.
Redstone, you magnificent *******, I just starred your post

Urban Ag
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

This thread is a perfect example of what I fear....since political correctness was amped up to unprecented levels (becoming what we now call "woke"), and the corresponding overreaction by the other side to attribute everything to "wokeness", we've lost the ability to have nuanced discussions about anything.
Bullsh**

All I do is nuance. I live in shades of grey. It's a handful of posters on this board, IMO, that simply can not handle nuance, "shades of grey"., or differing opinions.

yes, my (and your) right wingers from F16 use a hammer here too often but it is equally true that the F13 Sheriff's office is just as bad or worse.

I agree with you 100% that this board can and should do better.
Moral High Horse
wangus12 said:

Urban Ag said:

Moral High Horse said:

jokershady said:

Rogue One IS the best Star Wars movie.

There needs to be a Rogue Two
Well, there's a slight problem with that...........

Mon Mothma seemed very connected with the mission. And we have a good actor to play Mon. Seems this movie story line is a no brainer.
rhutton125
AG
But the emperor let them escape with the plans, so it kinda sucks the drama out of it from the start.

Also Bothans look dumb IMO.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Urban Ag said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

This thread is a perfect example of what I fear....since political correctness was amped up to unprecented levels (becoming what we now call "woke"), and the corresponding overreaction by the other side to attribute everything to "wokeness", we've lost the ability to have nuanced discussions about anything.
Bullsh**

All I do is nuance. I live in shades of grey. It's a handful of posters on this board, IMO, that simply can not handle nuance, "shades of grey"., or differing opinions.

yes, my (and your) right wingers from F16 use a hammer here too often but it is equally true that the F13 Sheriff's office is just as bad or worse.

I felt a disturbance in the Force...
Redstone
AG
Have posters / lurkers been participating in hashtags to get the show a S2?

Please do so.
Cliff.Booth
Participating in #FireKathleen
jokershady
AG
Urban Ag said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

Bullsh**

Moral High Horse
rhutton125 said:

But the emperor let them escape with the plans, so it kinda sucks the drama out of it from the start.

Also Bothans look dumb IMO.

I think that's all part of the tragedy of that mission. But agreed, bothans look dumb as hell. Kill them all. Lots of them.
samurai_science
Azariah said:

aTmAg said:

Let's say they fire Kennedy. Then what? The lore (or whatever it is called) is basically ruined.

Maybe blow away all cannon and start over from scratch? Make the timeframe of first episode be long before the prequels. New characters and everything. Hell, maybe start it with the first ever jedi and call it "The First Jedi". A kid grows up with jedi powers and has no idea where it came from. He has no idea how to use it or anything and has to figure it all out himself as there is nobody to teach him. Perhaps he has to keep it a secret to avoid getting persecuted by leadership or something. Hell, they could make it all start on a single planet before they discovered inter-solar-system travel yet. They could make it like Game of Thrones. Everybody has horses, swords, and crap. But this one kid, and eventually his family, can make stuff float with their brains.

They could make that planet the source of the Sith. Perhaps have an a-hole descendant decides to use his powers to kill a bunch of people and take power as king. (Could call that one "The First Sith")

Eventually they get discovered by a technically advanced civilization what introduces them to space ships, other species, and whatnot. Those people don't have any jedi powers. And maybe there is a fight between the advanced civilization and the Jedi on this world.

Anyway, there is a lot of places they could go.

Maybe eventually after a bunch of movies they introduce Anakin's mom and connect it to the current series. But DON'T pretend these are prequels to existing movies. They are redos. Hell they may remake Star Wars, ESB, and RotJ with a few of the same people, but not word for word. Hell they could re-imagine a more modernized Darth Vader. Get rid of the cape and crap.

They should write a rough outline of the entire series of 15 movies or so. Don't make it up as the go anymore. Once they get to 15, STOP. Let those 15 be THE series and leave it at that. Don't screw it up with a bunch of add-ons and other BS.

Anyway.. just an idea.
The idea seeds for the stories in the Disney era have been pretty good:
-The Sequels: New Republic is failing due to internal politics and another 'Empire' rises to take over. Involves a lot of the original characters and descendants of them.

etc.

It's the execution of these where everything falls apart. There's no need to blow away all canon; just get a real Feige-level person in to make sure it's all done at a high quality. Even after all of grievous mistakes Disney has made, there is still a ton of interest in Star Wars. If Disney took concrete steps that people could see the logic behind to address this, a wave of forgiveness would follow.

Specifically, if tomorrow Disney turned the reins of deciding where the universe goes over to Filoni and the reins of how to tell those stories over to Favreau, we would lose our collective minds.
You trust Filoni at this point? He has signed off on this garbage.
powerbelly
AG
samurai_science said:

Azariah said:

aTmAg said:

Let's say they fire Kennedy. Then what? The lore (or whatever it is called) is basically ruined.

Maybe blow away all cannon and start over from scratch? Make the timeframe of first episode be long before the prequels. New characters and everything. Hell, maybe start it with the first ever jedi and call it "The First Jedi". A kid grows up with jedi powers and has no idea where it came from. He has no idea how to use it or anything and has to figure it all out himself as there is nobody to teach him. Perhaps he has to keep it a secret to avoid getting persecuted by leadership or something. Hell, they could make it all start on a single planet before they discovered inter-solar-system travel yet. They could make it like Game of Thrones. Everybody has horses, swords, and crap. But this one kid, and eventually his family, can make stuff float with their brains.

They could make that planet the source of the Sith. Perhaps have an a-hole descendant decides to use his powers to kill a bunch of people and take power as king. (Could call that one "The First Sith")

Eventually they get discovered by a technically advanced civilization what introduces them to space ships, other species, and whatnot. Those people don't have any jedi powers. And maybe there is a fight between the advanced civilization and the Jedi on this world.

Anyway, there is a lot of places they could go.

Maybe eventually after a bunch of movies they introduce Anakin's mom and connect it to the current series. But DON'T pretend these are prequels to existing movies. They are redos. Hell they may remake Star Wars, ESB, and RotJ with a few of the same people, but not word for word. Hell they could re-imagine a more modernized Darth Vader. Get rid of the cape and crap.

They should write a rough outline of the entire series of 15 movies or so. Don't make it up as the go anymore. Once they get to 15, STOP. Let those 15 be THE series and leave it at that. Don't screw it up with a bunch of add-ons and other BS.

Anyway.. just an idea.
The idea seeds for the stories in the Disney era have been pretty good:
-The Sequels: New Republic is failing due to internal politics and another 'Empire' rises to take over. Involves a lot of the original characters and descendants of them.

etc.

It's the execution of these where everything falls apart. There's no need to blow away all canon; just get a real Feige-level person in to make sure it's all done at a high quality. Even after all of grievous mistakes Disney has made, there is still a ton of interest in Star Wars. If Disney took concrete steps that people could see the logic behind to address this, a wave of forgiveness would follow.

Specifically, if tomorrow Disney turned the reins of deciding where the universe goes over to Filoni and the reins of how to tell those stories over to Favreau, we would lose our collective minds.
You trust Filoni at this point? He has signed off on this garbage.
Filoni needs to be gone too. He becomes too attached to his created characters (Asoka) at expense of the story. I also don't think he has the discipline to run all of Star Wars.
Madmarttigan
AG
Yeah Filoni created a pretty mediocre to bad series himself so I don't think he is your guy either.
Formerly tv1113
C@LAg
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
I suggest we have to put Porkchop, TCTTS, and Spilner in the same room and they have to agree to all new star wars projects.
Cliff.Booth
It's time.
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

Inside the Decision to Cancel The Acolyte, Who Nearly Played Sol, and the Future of Lucasfilm

Earlier this week, Deadline broke the news that Lucasfilm opted not to proceed with a second season of its Star Wars series The Acolyte, which hailed from creator/showrunner Leslye Headland and wrapped its first season in mid-July.

While there has been a lot of handwringing online about what might've happened to the show, and what could still happen regarding its availability on Disney+, I'm told by sources I trust that there's no big mystery to be solved or conspiracy afoot.

Insiders explain that The Acolyte was canceled because viewership was bad, and that there's really nothing more to it than that even though at least one cast member said they were surprised by the decision.

I'm told that The Acolyte's viewership collapsed following the first two episodes, whereas with Andor, viewership steadily climbed throughout the season, so the show was renewed for Season 2. Andor also drew exceptional reviews, whereas The Acolyte's reviews were more mixed.

Like all shows, The Acolyte was subject to an extensive notes process, but at the end of the day, it was very much the show that Headland wanted to make.

"You can blame Lucasfilm for a lot of things, but not this one," said one source. "If more people watched it, then it would have been renewed."

Furthermore, I'm told that there are no plans at all to remove The Acolyte from Disney+, so while certain merchandise is no longer available online, that's either a supply chain or product development issue and it has to do with the show's renewal or lack thereof.

Meanwhile, back in July 2023, there was a report from Giant Freakin' Robot that Keanu Reeves had filmed a cameo for The Acolyte, though he didn't end up appearing on the show.

While I'm told that contrary to that report, Reeves never filmed a scene for The Acolyte, he had been in talks for the role ultimately played by Squid Game star Lee Jung-jae, whose character was killed off at the end of Season 1.

The problem, I'm told, is that Lionsgate refused to adjust the actor's schedule for Ballerina, the upcoming John Wick spinoff in which Reeves' iconic assassin plays a key supporting role alongside star Ana de Armas.

While studio insiders have countered that Reeves was never formally offered the role, I'm told he was very interested in doing the show, which wound up casting his Matrix co-star Carrie-Anne Moss - another selling point for him.

In fact, don't be surprised if Reeves finds his way into the Star Wars franchise down the line, as Lucasfilm remains high on the actor, whose interest has been noted internally.

As for speculation that Lucasfilm is going to shift its focus from television to film, I'm told that the company is developing several new shows that simply haven't been announced yet, and also… that Kathleen Kennedy's job is safe through at least Q2 of next year, so all the haters out there can stop gossiping about her imminent exit. She's not going anywhere as of now.

Lucasfilm and director Jon Favreau are currently prepping the next Star Wars movie, The Mandalorian and Grogu, which will hit theaters on May 22, 2026. Pedro Pascal will reprise his role from the Disney+ series, and he'll be joined by sci-fi icon Sigourney Weaver, who is in talks for an undisclosed role, as first reported by yours truly. Stay tuned for more on that front soon…
FL_Ag1998
AG
TCTTS said:

Quote:

Inside the Decision to Cancel The Acolyte, Who Nearly Played Sol, and the Future of Lucasfilm

Earlier this week, Deadline broke the news that Lucasfilm opted not to proceed with a second season of its Star Wars series The Acolyte, which hailed from creator/showrunner Leslye Headland and wrapped its first season in mid-July.

While there has been a lot of handwringing online about what might've happened to the show, and what could still happen regarding its availability on Disney+, I'm told by sources I trust that there's no big mystery to be solved or conspiracy afoot.

Insiders explain that The Acolyte was canceled because viewership was bad, and that there's really nothing more to it than that even though at least one cast member said they were surprised by the decision.

I'm told that The Acolyte's viewership collapsed following the first two episodes, whereas with Andor, viewership steadily climbed throughout the season, so the show was renewed for Season 2. Andor also drew exceptional reviews, whereas The Acolyte's reviews were more mixed.

Like all shows, The Acolyte was subject to an extensive notes process, but at the end of the day, it was very much the show that Headland wanted to make.

"You can blame Lucasfilm for a lot of things, but not this one," said one source. "If more people watched it, then it would have been renewed."

Furthermore, I'm told that there are no plans at all to remove The Acolyte from Disney+, so while certain merchandise is no longer available online, that's either a supply chain or product development issue and it has to do with the show's renewal or lack thereof.

Meanwhile, back in July 2023, there was a report from Giant Freakin' Robot that Keanu Reeves had filmed a cameo for The Acolyte, though he didn't end up appearing on the show.

While I'm told that contrary to that report, Reeves never filmed a scene for The Acolyte, he had been in talks for the role ultimately played by Squid Game star Lee Jung-jae, whose character was killed off at the end of Season 1.

The problem, I'm told, is that Lionsgate refused to adjust the actor's schedule for Ballerina, the upcoming John Wick spinoff in which Reeves' iconic assassin plays a key supporting role alongside star Ana de Armas.

While studio insiders have countered that Reeves was never formally offered the role, I'm told he was very interested in doing the show, which wound up casting his Matrix co-star Carrie-Anne Moss - another selling point for him.

In fact, don't be surprised if Reeves finds his way into the Star Wars franchise down the line, as Lucasfilm remains high on the actor, whose interest has been noted internally.

As for speculation that Lucasfilm is going to shift its focus from television to film, I'm told that the company is developing several new shows that simply haven't been announced yet, and also… that Kathleen Kennedy's job is safe through at least Q2 of next year, so all the haters out there can stop gossiping about her imminent exit. She's not going anywhere as of now.

Lucasfilm and director Jon Favreau are currently prepping the next Star Wars movie, The Mandalorian and Grogu, which will hit theaters on May 22, 2026. Pedro Pascal will reprise his role from the Disney+ series, and he'll be joined by sci-fi icon Sigourney Weaver, who is in talks for an undisclosed role, as first reported by yours truly. Stay tuned for more on that front soon…

Maybe I'm missing something in that report, but are they basically saying, "Yeah, uhh, our big new show that was supposed to kick off widespread interest in The High Republic era of Star Wars was a bust because people stopped watching it. But the reason viewership tanked definitely wasn't the fault of the people who made it, so oh well. Next!"?
TCTTS
AG
Kind of? Jeff, who doesn't work for Disney/Lucasfilm, is essentially saying that his Disney/Lucasfilm sources are indicating that the decision to cancel the show had nothing to do with any creative factors. It was the show Headlund wanted to make, and it had Disney's/Lucasfilm's stamp of approval. In other words, Disney/Lucasfilm is saying the reason it was cancelled is simply because viewership was terrible. That's it and that's all and I wouldn't read into it beyond that. I was mainly posting for the Keanu/Kennedy nuggets.
Quad Dog
AG
Ultimately that's what we want right? A network to make more seasons of a show because it has an audience. And they should cancel shows that people aren't watching to not waste their money. Then go figure out why people weren't watching.
jokershady
AG
I'm glad Keanu didn't make it into this show cause I'd have been pissed if it was his character that killed off in the way that Sol did….

I would like to see Keanu in the Star Wars universe though….could be a hell of a lot of fun if they don't screw it up….personally would love to see him as a bad guy….maybe some off brand sith former Jedi that works as the muscle for admiral blue face
ABATTBQ11
AG
I really have to wonder what the Disney execs see in Kennedy. She may have had a great career in the late 80's-00's, but she's absolutely mismanaged LF.
Moral High Horse
I would have watched it if it was better. I'm so sorry everyone. I broke the dam.
jokershady
AG
No….I broke the dam….
oragator
She still doesn't get it on multiple levels. It's bizarre to watch considering her stellar history. This was the first prime example of the SW 40 plus years of goodwill running out. When I read interviews with her, she seems to want to fight the fanbase instead of leaning into it. It's largely a white male middle aged group. And yet not only does she make very little for them, she walks around wearing a T-shirt saying the force is a woman, then talks repeatedly about how toxic the fanbase is etc.
The extreme example I would give would be if they brought in a man over the Barbie franchise and did the same thing in reverse. It would be idiotic. That movie spent two hours without a single positive male in it (amd even vilified Ken) and made a billion dollars. There's value in leaning in to your core audience.
And even beyond the whole woke argument. outside of Andor, there's nothing specifically for adults, which their core audience has been demogrqphically for decades now. It's no coincidence that andor's ratings increased over time and it was the best reviewed series they've had. This series bombed after two episodes.
And all that is before even talking about the unoriginal garbage that was the last trilogy. Took exactly zero chances and basically copied four for 7. Amd how unoriginal and paint by SW numbers the underlying storyline was here too.

And yet, even with all that, she's still in charge and still throwing this junk up at us as the best they can do. Disney deserves this failure and if they don't learn from it, they deserve the next one too.

/nerd rant.

Cliff.Booth
Having a budget that large and still fumbling on a SW project is such a fat L. It's almost like you'd need to try NOT to at least have decent viewership. SW fans are 75% 30+ dudes who just want the Lucas lore (aka not a deconstruction), badass fights, cool visuals of other planets and their beings etc. You have to know there are dozens and dozens of writer/directors out there who could have taken that budget and created something fans would have kept watching. Here's to hoping maybe they'll learn from all of this.
TCTTS
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

Having a budget that large and still fumbling on a SW project is such a fat L.
So this is Disney Star Wars' Appalachian State. Got it. Which I kinda already knew, given that I sold my tickets to that game (not thinking we'd lose, just didn't want to go) and have not had one moment where I wanted to watch this show.
Cliff.Booth
Guy nails it.
AGC
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

TCTTS said:

Quote:

Maybe I'm missing something in that report, but are they basically saying, "Yeah, uhh, our big new show that was supposed to kick off widespread interest in The High Republic era of Star Wars was a bust because people stopped watching it. But the reason viewership tanked definitely wasn't the fault of the people who made it, so oh well. Next!"?

I took it as the opposite since the line in there said it was, "very much the show Headland wanted to make." I thought this was a piece to absolve KK and say LF wasn't endlessly meddling (which has been argued here). In fact they even mention that most shows have extensive notes (like this one) support that.
Ambres
AG
Cliff.Booth said:

Having a budget that large and still fumbling on a SW project is such a fat L. It's almost like you'd need to try NOT to at least have decent viewership. SW fans are 75% 30+ dudes who just want the Lucas lore (aka not a deconstruction), badass fights, cool visuals of other planets and their beings etc. You have to know there are dozens and dozens of writer/directors out there who could have taken that budget and created something fans would have kept watching. Here's to hoping maybe they'll learn from all of this.
Agree this show had potential to really explore the High Republic Era and bring fans .. instead it got itself lost in the script. The show fail because it was plainly .. just not that interesting. At some point, I stopped caring for the Osha. The fact that the nightsisters just died cause.. yea. The opening mystery turned out to be a dud and disappointing.
YNWA_AG
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.