***** THE ACOLYTE Show Discussion (see note inside) Thread *****

154,503 Views | 1971 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Moral High Horse said:

Yes. Don't watch it. You're welcome. Saved you 8 episodes of time of a show that isn't coming back.
Wanna put some money on that?
redline248
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2440759/last

The General Star Wars thread for Star wars convo

This thread is about discussing what happens on the screen of the Acolyte.

It can't be that difficult.
As difficult as making good Star Wars shows!

j/k
PatAg
AG
Cliff.Booth said:

If you get on X and search Acolyte and browse through the most popular posts, that gives you a more raw sense of how people are feeling. Majority don't like it, some are are on the fence, and a few are very, very jazzed by it.

Twitter is also a very vocal minority of people.
TCTTS
AG
Cliff.Booth said:

Places that are less moderated. Imagine this thread if a certain 2 or 3 posters who don't like dissent that much and want to control the conversation were suddenly deputized by staff to hand out permabans. That's what happened to Reddit and now it sucks.

For the 400th time, no one here is trying to snuff out negative opinions of this show.

Nor would anyone here, if given mod status, go around deleting negative opinions/handing out permabans just because they're negative.

This is such a dumb, straw man argument that keeps popping up every so often, based on nothing but paranoia.

Rather, it's the people who DON'T and HAVEN'T watched the show, who endlessly complain about the show, that gets old.

Rather, it's the hyper-fixation on "woke," when there's next to nothing "woke" about this show, that gets old.

It's THOSE kinds of things that we rail against, and then people like you frame it as "posters who don't like dissent trying to control the conversation," when our criticisms are perfectly valid, and not at all about general negativity.

And again, this is coming from someone who's not a huge fan of the show myself. At least so far.

But it *is* fun to discuss, and theorize, and hope that it gets better. It just sucks trying to do those things while having to wade through a minefield of the same old culture war nonsense, from people who so clearly don't want to have a conversation of any kind, and instead want to this thread as their megaphone/street corner to virtue signal to anyone who will listen.
Cliff.Booth
DrEvazanPhD
TCTTS said:

Cliff.Booth said:

Places that are less moderated. Imagine this thread if a certain 2 or 3 posters who don't like dissent that much and want to control the conversation were suddenly deputized by staff to hand out permabans. That's what happened to Reddit and now it sucks.

For the 400th time, no one here is trying to snuff out negative opinions of this show.

Nor would anyone here, if given mod status, go around deleting negative opinions/handing out permabans just because they're negative.

This is such a dumb, straw man argument that keeps popping up every so often, based on nothing but paranoia.

Rather, it's the people who DON'T and HAVEN'T watched the show, who endlessly complain about the show, that gets old.

Rather, it's the hyper-fixation on "woke," when there's next to nothing "woke" about this show, that gets old.

It's THOSE kinds of things that we rail against, and then people like you frame it as "posters who don't like dissent trying to control the conversation," when our criticisms are perfectly valid, and not at all about general negativity.

And again, this is coming from someone who's not a huge fan of the show myself. At least so far.

But it *is* fun to discuss, and theorize, and hope that it gets better. It just sucks trying to do those things while having to wade through a minefield of the same old culture war nonsense, from people who so clearly don't want to have a conversation of any kind, and instead want to this thread as their megaphone/street corner to virtue signal to anyone who will listen.
So i have watched all three episodes now. And honestly, the woke stuff isn't the worst of it. The story so far has been absolutely stupid and disjointed, and people make decisions that make no sense at all, just to move the story along. It's typical of modern star wars, with **** writers, **** directors, and **** production.
The Porkchop Express
AG
DrEvazanPhD said:

TCTTS said:

Cliff.Booth said:

So i have watched all three episodes now. And honestly, the woke stuff isn't the worst of it. The story so far has been absolutely stupid and disjointed, and people make decisions that make no sense at all, just to move the story along. It's typical of modern star wars, with **** writers, **** directors, and **** production.
can you give specific examples so we can actually have a discussion?
DrEvazanPhD

DrEvazanPhD said:

TCTTS said:

Cliff.Booth said:

can you give specific examples so we can actually have a discussion?
without the spoiler cover...

the whole fire thing at the end of episode three. "you don't do what i wan't....and i'll ****ing kill you, *****" followed by a fire as an assassination tool. Which led to an explosion. Is that what the jedi are all supposed to feel so guilty about?
Red Five
AG
TCTTS said:

Cliff.Booth said:

A coven of lesbian witches in self-exile because "the galaxy doesn't like women like us" (paraphrasing) who immaculately-conceive two black girl daughters, one of whom kills the only two white humans we've seen in the show isn't exactly "nothing". It may not be the in-your-face Pride Parade some people on twitter and youtube try to make it out to be, but it's not nothing.

I don't think that is the biggest problem with the show or episode 3. The biggest problem with episode 3 is that the script, direction, and acting were all hot garbage.
TCTTS
AG
DrEvazanPhD said:

TCTTS said:

Cliff.Booth said:

I don't know why this is a response to anything I just typed, but if that's the way you feel, then great. I kind of even agree with you on certain points. That said, I'm with TPE in that it would be helpful to further unpack some of that.
DrEvazanPhD
Red Five said:

TCTTS said:

Cliff.Booth said:

A coven of lesbian witches in self-exile because "the galaxy doesn't like women like us" (paraphrasing) who immaculately-conceive two black girl daughters, one of whom kills the only two white humans we've seen in the show isn't exactly "nothing". It may not be the in-your-face Pride Parade some people on twitter and youtube try to make it out to be, but it's not nothing.

I don't think that is the biggest problem with the show or episode 3. The biggest problem with episode 3 is that the script, direction, and acting were all hot garbage.
The weird moaning, half-musical number with suburban-white-woman wailing and screaming was also really odd
TCTTS
AG
Red Five said:

TCTTS said:

Cliff.Booth said:

But WHY is that bad? Sure, some posters here might define that as "woke," but no one is actually explaining WHY "a coven of lesbian witches" is actual, bad writing.

We've somehow reached a point where anything that can remotely be seen as "woke" automatically = "bad," and we're all just supposed to agree, without the complainer actually explaining the mechanics of what makes it "hot garbage."

THAT'S what I tend to push back on.

I'm not saying any of that isn't bad - again, I wasn't a huge fan either - I'm simply asking for people to explain their gripes beyond "woke" = "bad."
ABATTBQ11
AG
Well for one, "We're going to go arrest this girl and then put her on a prison transport instead of just taking her in ourselves to the place we're already going."

"We rounded up the escape pods, but we're too busy to go check the crash site of this prison ship."

They knew Qimir was more than a supplier by his mention of, "He," but then just completely let it go. The guy very obviously knows more than he's telling, but then they take his poor excuse of, "I'm just a supplier," at face value. Why not do the Jedi mind trick like with the guy from the prison transport?

Mae deciding she's going to kill her sister and starting a fire?

Slightly different, but how does Sabine survive being stabbed with a lightsaber and Indra takes a tiny knife and dies instantly?
DrEvazanPhD
ABATTBQ11 said:

Well for one, "We're going to go arrest this girl and then put her on a prison transport instead of just taking her in ourselves to the place we're already going."

"We rounded up the escape pods, but we're too busy to go check the crash site of this prison ship."

They knew Qimir was more than a supplier by his mention of, "He," but then just completely let it go. The guy very obviously knows more than he's telling, but then they take his poor exist of, "I'm just a supplier," at face value.

Mae deciding she's going to kill her sister and starting a fire?

Slightly different, but how does Sabine survive being stabbed with a lightsaber and Indra takes a tiny knife and dies instantly?
Don't forget that Squid Game can magically rip the truth out of people's minds, then immediately seems to stop doing it because plot.

The male jedi (forget his name, but his acting style is about as wooden as hayden christiansen in episode 2) coming up with some actual rational ideas, only to be told he's dumb by the female padawan.
Red Five
AG
TCTTS said:

Red Five said:

TCTTS said:

Cliff.Booth said:

But WHY is that bad? Sure, some posters here might define that as "woke," but no one is actually explaining WHY "a coven of lesbian witches" is actual, bad writing.

We've somehow reached a point where anything that can remotely be seen as "woke" automatically = "bad," and we're all just supposed to agree, without the complainer actually explaining the mechanics of what makes it "hot garbage."

THAT'S what I tend to push back on.

I'm not saying any of that isn't bad - again, I wasn't a huge fan either - I'm simply asking for people to explain their gripes beyond "woke" = "bad."
I posted my thoughts on the episode and why I thought it was bad a couple of pages ago, which doesn't involve any of the wokeness that may or may not be present.

I think the woke subtext here is bad because it comes off a little as LGBT revenge porn. Galaxy rejects LGBT group, group creates weapon of destruction of the hetero-normative patriarchal galactic icon.
Cliff.Booth
Yeah I shared a link to a reaction video that mentioned zero wokeness claims a couple pages ago and said it summed up my thoughts on the series so far. It's just a miss on virtually every level, other than that I think Lee Jung-jae's acting performance has been impressive.
TCTTS
AG
Fair enough, and I don't particularly disagree. I guess all I'm saying is that I just wish more posters would express their complaints in the way you just did, instead of the typical, drive-by "Ugh! Woke!" [FART NOISE] fashion. It just so often reads like bro culture caveman nonsense, when we could instead be having real, constructive conversations.
redline248
AG
Quote:

I thought the show did an ok job of placing the knife right where the heart would be. A knife is going to shut that down pretty fast.

Sabine was stabbed more to the side, and a lightsaber would instantly cauterize so no internal bleeding.

My problem with Indara dying is a master's inability to stop the first knife while maintaining focus on the attacker. As usual, the application of the Force is so inconsistent. This is the alleged Golden Age of Jedi...
ABATTBQ11
AG
The poc/lgbt/feminist vs white patriarchy allegory is so thinly veiled it's not even wearing clothes. I have to say I rolled my eyes at the, "women like us," line and almost stopped watching right there.
The Porkchop Express
AG
whole fire thing at the end of episode three. "you don't do what i wan't....and i'll ****ing kill you, *****" followed by a fire as an assassination tool. Which led to an explosion. Is that what the jedi are all supposed to feel so guilty about?

We've talked for pages and pages about how there is obviously more to the story and that it would make sense to wait until the end of the show to see what the whole story is

A coven of lesbian witches

When did they all say they were lesbians?
Should I assume that the Empire is a military full of gay men because I certainly never saw any women? Palpatine must have been blowing Vader every night, because neither of those dudes ever went on a date during the OT.

The weird moaning, half-musical number with suburban-white-woman wailing and screaming was also really odd

concac
AG
redline248 said:

Quote:

I thought the show did an ok job of placing the knife right where the heart would be. A knife is going to shut that down pretty fast.

Sabine was stabbed more to the side, and a lightsaber would instantly cauterize so no internal bleeding.

My problem with Indara dying is a master's inability to stop the first knife while maintaining focus on the attacker. As usual, the application of the Force is so inconsistent. This is the alleged Golden Age of Jedi...
Maybe she had tremendous guilt for what happened on Brendok and allowed herself to be killed by Mae to allow Mae to gain her vengeance.
Cliff.Booth

Palpatine must have been blowing Vader every night, because neither of those dudes ever went on a date during the OT.

Please don't give Disney any more ideas.
Red Five
AG
Quote:

Should I assume that the Empire is a military full of gay men because I certainly never saw any women?
Which modern Navy do you know of that isn't full of gay dudes?
The Porkchop Express
AG
Red Five said:

I think the woke subtext here is bad because it comes off a little as LGBT revenge porn. Galaxy rejects LGBT group, group creates weapon of destruction of the hetero-normative patriarchal galactic icon.
ABATTBQ11
AG

You ever caress another dude's face while gazing into his eyes as completely platonic friends?

Yeah, me neither.
redline248
AG

You can't use one of the worst additions given to us by the Special Editions to argue that it's not odd. Or maybe you are just pointing out a history of terrible musical routines in SW?
redline248
AG
Unemployed said:

redline248 said:

Quote:

Maybe she had tremendous guilt for what happened on Brendok and allowed herself to be killed by Mae to allow Mae to gain her vengeance.
I mean, Torbin took that route, so I can't rule it out as a possibility (even though we have no kind of context or dialog to believe that is what she did). Again, as I said with Torbin, if she Indara allowed herself to be killed...it's some pretty piss poor Jedi-ing.

Maybe these Jedi just are piss poor and it's why the order fell out of the "Golden Age" in the next 100 years.
DrEvazanPhD

whole fire thing at the end of episode three. "you don't do what i wan't....and i'll ****ing kill you, *****" followed by a fire as an assassination tool. Which led to an explosion. Is that what the jedi are all supposed to feel so guilty about?

We've talked for pages and pages about how there is obviously more to the story and that it would make sense to wait until the end of the show to see what the whole story is

A coven of lesbian witches

Should I assume that the Empire is a military full of gay men because I certainly never saw any women? Palpatine must have been blowing Vader every night, because neither of those dudes ever went on a date during the OT.

1.) I never mentioned a coven of lesbians.
2.) I did t disparage music, I said that scene was ****ing weird
3.) the reimagined jam in return of the Jedi was god-awful and unnecessary
Red Five
AG
redline248 said:

Unemployed said:

redline248 said:

Quote:

I mean, Torbin took that route, so I can't rule it out as a possibility (even though we have no kind of context or dialog to believe that is what she did). Again, as I said with Torbin, if she Indara allowed herself to be killed...it's some pretty piss poor Jedi-ing.

Maybe these Jedi just are piss poor and it's why the order fell out of the "Golden Age" in the next 100 years.
She was in a bar, right? Maybe she was drunk.
The Porkchop Express
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

You ever caress another dude's face while gazing into his eyes as completely platonic friends?

Yeah, me neither.
So 2 people out of 100+ = everyone is gay?

PatAg
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

The poc/lgbt/feminist vs white patriarchy allegory is so thinly veiled it's not even wearing clothes. I have to say I rolled my eyes at the, "women like us," line and almost stopped watching right there.
lol
PatAg
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Yeah, me neither.
Vince Blake
ABATTBQ11 said:

Yeah, me neither.

When those two chicks were gazing into each others' eyes, one of them was definitely horny!

Hey oh!

redline248
AG
my kinda man
LPHA
AG
Don't they live in an all female society? The males got sent off somewhere to become Darth maul and his brother with the cool/agressive name. It was bound to happen

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.