***** THE ACOLYTE Show Discussion (see note inside) Thread *****

154,499 Views | 1971 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I agree. But something still feels off about the whole Osha/Mae dynamic, and the "one born as two" thing.
I feel like I've been plagiarized
twilly
AG
So in a nutshell, the entirety of the Skywalker saga is some magic crazy *****'s fault.
redline248
AG
Quote:

I care about Yord because he's the gold standard of what a Jedi seems to be in that era, but that means the Jedi are exceptionally brittle. I do think if Yord found out the truth about what happened on Brendok, he would be duty bound to arrest Sol and Kelbacca, which is lack of malleability speaks volumes to the rigid conditions that the Jedi led themselves into, to where Papatne manipulated them into getting killed in a war serving a role that made no sense (generals).
Yord is like what I expect a young lieutenant fresh out of West Point to be like. Kind of like Tom Hanks's kid in Band of Brothers. Does that mean the whole army is rigid? Yes and no? Keeping with that comparison, Major Winters is very much by the book, but has learned how to operate in the world. He doesn't tell the young guy, hey relax bud, but just puts his guys back "at ease" and gets to business.

Sol could be a little like that for Yord, even thought it's not his job to train him. Which brings me to the padawan Jecki. Maybe it's Sol's guidance, maybe it's a trait of her species, maybe it's just youth...but she is much more "loose."

Oh, I just remembered. When Sol confronted Mae in Olega, how terrible was it for them to corner her? It felt like Sol was maybe finding a point to break through, and the other jump in and just corner her. There was a chapter in an EU book called Labyrinth of Evil where Yoda is pretty dang close to walking Dooku back from the dark side, but Anakin and Obi-Wan show up doing their thing and Dooku's anger and jealousy comes right back up.
rynning
AG
Anyone else bothered that they drew blood from the twins without their mothers' consent? I mean, is that not included in Galaxy law?
PatAg
AG
I am not really getting the reviews, I thought the story line in that episode was fine...and even what people were asking for.
Cliff.Booth
The Porkchop Express
AG
rynning said:

Anyone else bothered that they drew blood from the twins without their mothers' consent? I mean, is that not included in Galaxy law?
Qui-Gon does the same to Anakin and lies to his face saying he's checking it for "infections".
Moral High Horse
Cliff.Booth said:

more like....star w**res
redline248
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

rynning said:

Qui-Gon does the same to Anakin and lies to his face saying he's checking it for "infections".
The mothers did consent to them being "tested." There's that gray area Luke was talking about
PatAg
AG
Moral High Horse said:

Cliff.Booth said:

more like....star w**res
you dont get the reference
TCTTS
AG
justnobody79
I was going to look for that on the re-watch. I don't recall seeing her body with the others at the end. If she did that mind control stuff that was done to Torbin again to either Torbin or someone else it opens up some interesting possibilities.
redline248
AG
A woman scorned, and all that
redline248
AG
Ok, so in Episode 1 Qui-Gon tells Shmi that if Anakin had been born on a republic world the Jedi would have identified him early. How, then, did the Jedi in The Acolyte find the coven (assuming a similar logic)? Chasing down a former rival? Force use strong enough to be picked up?
The Porkchop Express
AG
redline248 said:

Ok, so in Episode 1 Qui-Gon tells Shmi that if Anakin had been born on a republic world the Jedi would have identified him early. How, then, did the Jedi in The Acolyte find the coven (assuming a similar logic)? Chasing down a former rival? Force use strong enough to be picked up?
My guess would be they dealt with them before. The fact that Indara specifically says "we hear you're training children here" feels like there was an earlier agreement that they wouldn't do so, sort of like countries making chemical weapons or something.
rynning
AG
I don't know about all of these theories and possibilities that may be making something out of nothing. I'm taking everything at face value at this point so I won't be even more disappointed.
i is smart
AG
I'm curious whether last night's episode might have been better if the entire season had been released at once, depending on how it concludes.

Side Note: Does anyone have the ad-supported version of Disney+ on their Roku? Mine keeps crashing after the ad breaks.
Cliff.Booth
Clickbait title, but this dude hits the nail on the head.
FL_Ag1998
AG
All valid points that he makes except all of his criticism hinges on the episode being a straightforward retelling what happened. We've seen plenty of posts on this thread positing that it's really Force-implanted memories, a slanted view of what happened.

I'm not defending the episode against any criticism, I'm just saying that at this point in the season its too early to judge that episode entirely.

The one criticism I do agree with is that this story is being told somewhat clumsily.
Madmarttigan
AG
I don't think the clumsiness of it all would be that noticeable if this was all released at once. The weekly release schedule made it feel far lamer because we wasted an entire episode on what the audience basically already knew the story was.
Formerly tv1113
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
ABATTBQ11
AG
TCTTS said:

Notice when they confront each other on the broken bridge they both ask each other what they did, like they both assume the other is responsible for all the destruction. Seems like Mae started the fire and Osha assumes she destroyed everything else, while Mae found everything else on fire and a bunch of dead witches after running from the fire she started.

I'm going to assume that she attacked the Jedi when they came to get Osha and the Jedi and killed them all. That's probably also why Torbin has his face newly scarred when she wakes up on the ship. Sol doesn't want to tell her the truth, so he blames Mae's fire.

Or, whoever Mae's master is has been manipulating things from the beginning and is the reason why the Jedi knew they were there in the first place. Then he or she attacked the coven, killed everyone, and started to overload the reactor.

All that said, there are so many inconsistencies in this show so far that it's kind of hard to watch. The Jedi thought the planet was uninhabited, which is fine, but Koril is also worried about someone else seeing the twins? I can't imagine there's a ton of people around to see them on a planet that's supposedly deserted. And they've been basically exiled to this place because, "the galaxy doesn't welcome women like us," but they're able to build this giant facility into a mountain? Where'd they get the resources? And that's just this last episode...
ABATTBQ11
AG
veryfuller said:

Its clear that this was Osha POV and that we will flash back to this night several more times and see others POVs. My point is we are 3 episodes in and the plot has essentially screeched to a halt, we still don't really know or care about any characters, and the flashback-to-event-as-seen-from-multiple-perspectives structure that we all now think is happening has been set up poorly.

I'm not trashing the story, because I don't know what it is. I just think, as we have seen, the telling of it has been bad so far. I will keep watching and reserve my final judgement for when it wraps up, but I guess I am on a hard to win over path, based on what we have seen so far + how the other Star Wars shows have failed to stick any sort of landing (save for Mando season 1 and Andor).

Can I ask, are there characters that you like? Care about? Do you know what conflict needs to be overcome and more importantly, who you want to overcome in that conflict? I really want to know if others are connecting to the characters/story and this just isn't working for me.

Can't be Osha POV because it's omniscient. There are conversations and scenes that she isn't in and would have no knowledge of.
redline248
AG
I was talking to my son about this show. He is still on the young side, and very much likes the animated stuff. He hasn't watched this show yet. Anyway, I told him, this show is about the height of the Jedi, and we've barely seen anyone use a lightsaber yet.

For someone who grew up pretending to be Luke Skywalker and having imaginary lightsaber battles...that's what is missing, for me. Holding out hope for some real action, later. At least some is coming, based on the trailers.
redline248
AG
Oh, and how does everyone feel about the potential of the Jedi implanting false memories? That doesn't seem like a very Jedi thing to do. In fact, Sol seems like he would be most likely to tell Osha the truth. Mae did start a fire. Maybe she used the force to make it spread. Osha was apparently crawling around that tunnel place for a little while.
The Porkchop Express
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

TCTTS said:

Notice when they confront each other on the broken bridge they both ask each other what they did, like they both assume the other is responsible for all the destruction. Seems like Mae started the fire and Osha assumes she destroyed everything else, while Mae found everything else on fire and a bunch of dead witches after running from the fire she started.

I'm going to assume that she attacked the Jedi when they came to get Osha and the Jedi and killed them all. That's probably also why Torbin has his face newly scarred when she wakes up on the ship. Sol doesn't want to tell her the truth, so he blames Mae's fire.

Or, whoever Mae's master is has been manipulating things from the beginning and is the reason why the Jedi knew they were there in the first place. Then he or she attacked the coven, killed everyone, and started to overload the reactor.

All that said, there are so many inconsistencies in this show so far that it's kind of hard to watch. The Jedi thought the planet was uninhabited, which is fine, but Koril is also worried about someone else seeing the twins? I can't imagine there's a ton of people around to see them on a planet that's supposedly deserted. And they've been basically exiled to this place because, "the galaxy doesn't welcome women like us," but they're able to build this giant facility into a mountain? Where'd they get the resources? And that's just this last episode...

I think all parties involved know the jedi are lying about thinking nobody lived there. How so you know they built the facility? Star Wars is full of people living somewhere built by some other culture.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Also, I'm going to throw my hat in the ring and say that Osha kills Sol after Mae reveals something to her. That's how she kills one of the Jedi without a weapon, and it's a part of her Sith training to learn to manipulate people and use them as as means to an end instead of doing things yourself. That power of influence and control is arguably more valuable to the Sith than the Force because it's how they keep people under their thumb. The Force just doesn't allow for that kind of mass control.

It's basically the same thing that Palpatine did to kick off the Clone Wars and get Anakin to turn against the Jedi and try to kill Obi Wan. Palpatine's power was broken when Vader resisted it and turned on him instead of looking Luke.
Red Five
AG
This episode was just bad. The kid actors were bad, but that wasn't too big of a deal because they are kids. You're going to be limited there. I didn't think the adult witch actors were very good either though, and everything about the witches just seemed poorly directed. During the lesson for example, who is she teaching? They are all adult witches except for the two children who are behind her and she never even looks at them or addresses them until their completely over the top bickering has gone on way longer than she should have allowed it.

The ascension ceremony was the cringiest thing I think has ever been shown in Star Wars. It felt like they skipped over it while writing and planned to come back to it but then forgot until the day of filming.

Then the Jedi show up and they're like "Hide the children!" which apparently means "Put them about 4 rows back from the front, but definitely don't make any attempt to stop them if they try to come forward to get a really good look at the people who will take them if they know they are there."

This whole show has felt like someone trying to trick you, except you know they are trying to trick you so you don't believe anything they say and you just wish they would get it over with. It wasn't too terrible in the first 2 episodes because it was confined mostly to Osha/Mae and there were some interesting theories to think about. But we just wasted a whole episode on some Rashomon-bull**** version of the past that we already know is false and have to wait who knows how many weeks to get the probably-also-false other versions of the story. Rashomon was 88 minutes long. You didn't have to wait 3 weeks to hear the woodcutter's version of the story. I agree with a previous statement that maybe this could have worked in a format where all the episodes were dumped at once. Maybe it could have worked if it was better written or better directed. But as it stands, this was a terrible decision.

The only thing this entire episode did to add new information to the story was reveal that Osha/Mae were created by the Force, likely in the same manner that Plagueis/Siddious created Anakin. Which is something I actively hate, because it feels like they are trying to link those two things together to make this show more important. Especially after how all of hollywood twitter was fellating them over how you didn't have to have any prior Star Wars knowledge to watch the Acolyte.
Thunderstruck xx
redline248 said:

I was talking to my son about this show. He is still on the young side, and very much likes the animated stuff. He hasn't watched this show yet. Anyway, I told him, this show is about the height of the Jedi, and we've barely seen anyone use a lightsaber yet.

For someone who grew up pretending to be Luke Skywalker and having imaginary lightsaber battles...that's what is missing, for me. Holding out hope for some real action, later. At least some is coming, based on the trailers.

This show feels very much like The Last Jedi in terms of the disappointment it's bringing for Star Wars fans. If I remember correctly, we didn't get a single real lightsaber fight in that movie. Everyone wanted to see an old and very powerful Luke Skywalker in a lightsaber fight, but instead we got hermit Luke drinking green milk.

The Porkchop Express
AG
You should visit reddit or the Force Net boards if you think all Star Wars fans are disappointed by the Acolyte.
ABATTBQ11
AG

I think all parties involved know the jedi are lying about thinking nobody lived there. How so you know they built the facility? Star Wars is full of people living somewhere built by some other culture.

Yeah, but the implication is that they're the only ones there or it's at least very sparsely populated. And if these witches are so unwelcome in the galaxy that they've had to hide away, I'm pretty sure they're not going to hide around a bunch of other people.

Yeah, sure they could have moved there after sometime else built it, but I find it a little hard to believe that there was this giant castle thing built into a mountain in the middle of nowhere and just left there, only for these witches to luckily find it later.
Cliff.Booth

You should visit reddit or the Force Net boards if you think all Star Wars fans are disappointed by the Acolyte.

Reddit isn't exactly a very fair snapshot of normal SW fans.
Charlie Conway
Cliff.Booth said:

Reddit isn't exactly a very fair snapshot of normal SW fans.people.
The Porkchop Express
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Yeah, but the implication is that they're the only ones there or it's at least very sparsely populated. And if these witches are so unwelcome in the galaxy that they've had to hide away, I'm pretty sure they're not going to hide around a bunch of other people.

Yeah, sure they could have moved there after sometime else built it, but I find it a little hard to believe that there was this giant castle thing built into a mountain in the middle of nowhere and just left there, only for these witches to luckily find it later.

The Rebel Alliance used the giant temples on Yavin Iv as a base in the middle of nowhere on a planet that nobody else lived on. What's the difference?
The Porkchop Express
AG
Cliff.Booth said:

Reddit isn't exactly a very fair snapshot of normal SW fans.

What is on the Internet?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.