***** THE ACOLYTE Show Discussion (see note inside) Thread *****

155,066 Views | 1971 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And as I alluded to earlier, the fact that any show/ep is getting tens of thousands of 1 ratings should pretty much invalidate any notion of accuracy.

There are lots of shows and movies that haven't been my cup of tea or that I've flat out disliked. I could count on one hand the number I'd actually rate a "1".
fig96
AG
As for the ep...pretty hit or miss.

Interesting to see the backstory of what happened and the witches were interesting as a group, but definitely told in a clunky way and there's (hopefully) more to the story that we need to see.

Hoping it picks back up next week, I enjoyed the first two eps.
Cliff.Booth
A lot of casual fans just don't care that much where their score falls on a ten-point scale. They see it as pass fail. It skews the rating but 1 just means they think it sucks. The people giving it a 10 are just saying they love it. I think y'all are overthinking the 1-10 thing. Acolyte's low score just means 2 things, it is badly missing its potential audience and it is lackluster and amateurish in production.
redline248
AG
I almost posted a number of times some random, and not-well-put-together thoughts, last night, about the possible impact the twins have on the Jedi prophesy/Anakin. I wish they wouldn't touch that, but whatever

#1 do we really need more mysterious force powers that no one can explain?

#2 by their own admittance whatever the witches did would be considered perverse by the Jedi, I'm pretty sure. "Some would call it dark" or whatever the mother said...uh, yeah. Queue up the Palpatine-dark side-unnatural memes.

The other thing that keeps bugging me about the twins is why is Mae so clingy? She obviously has more power than Osha, that we've seen. Osha hides behind her when the mother pushes against them...and yet the zabrak woman seems to always only care about what Osha is or isn't doing. "I expect more out of you.."

That whole little line they keep doing about always one but born as two is weird. It still feels like they want them to be two different personalities of the same person. But multiple people see and interact with them both at the same time, so...
The Porkchop Express
AG
A final, hopefully humorous note on the review system.

Here is the extremely sarcastic review I wrote of DeShaun Watson's book that he "wrote" shortly before the whole massage therapist scandal came out and he demanded to be traded from the Texans. By putting in some keywords, giving it a 5-star review ,and getting it upvoted by a lot of people on the Texans' season thread, it has been one of the top reviews on Amazon for this book for almost 3 years, despite it being a total joke.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R13NGDABWHNBR7/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=0785232044

5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Release from NFL Superstar DeShaun Watson!
Reviewed in the United States on August 12, 2021

I have to admit I was pretty stressed out when I first picked this book up. I had just gotten off a plane on the way from Clemson, SC, and I had a layover in Houston. My muscles were all tensed up and I just needed to relax. I was looking for a new book to help me come to terms with the fact that I had a long day ahead of me and my eyes fell on this cover: "Pass It On: Work Hard, Serve Others ... Repeat" by Texans' megastar DeShaun Watson, a Houston legend. Like everyone else, I've seen DeShaun Watson's incredible career play out on television, but I don't really know that much about the man behind the helmet. What are his interests? How does he spend his free time? Does he have the same worries, doubts, and fears as the rest of us? Does he get tense and need a way to relax? I bet that's hard for a superstar like him, when all eyes are constantly following his actions.
This book is a top-notch read. I couldn't put it down on the airplane, on my uber to the hotel, even when I was getting a massage the next day, I was literally still thinking about DeShaun Watson! The title seems simplistic but the message really shines through.
Work Hard: If I've learned anything about Watson, is that he is a rigid individual when it comes to his routine. He gets locked in, and he will not stop until his goals are met and he feels satisfied with the results.
Serve Others: A really interesting take on the Golden Rule; the book preaches that in order to serve others, you must first serve yourself, and if that doesn't work or leaves you not feeling like your needs are being met, you may have to have others actually serve you. Brilliant stuff.
Repeat: That's where a lot of people fall short of DeShaun Watson's level of achievement. Say you do something once or twice, you probably feel pretty good about it, right? DeShaun Watson is committed to the things he believes in. You're doing something once? He's going to do it 28 or 32 times, sometimes TWICE in a day, just to show you how legit he is. That's what separates him from we mere mortals.

In summary, this is great piece of work. I wouldn't say I would force anyone else to read it, but I would definitely try to coerce them into taking a look, picking it up, and giving it a chance. It's that good!!!
redline248
AG
So, do we think before the coven all dies that Mae or Osha learned about creating life so one of them can teach it to the Sith? Or do we think the Sith just learns about it and goes on a quest to uncover the secrets? Assuming it does lead to Anakin.

Personally, I have never been a fan of the theory that Anakin was created by Sith techniques. My feeling is that someone created by Sith would come out evil right away, and have no redeeming qualities. Anakin was always "good at heart." His story makes him more tragic b/c he was good.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Cliff.Booth said:

A lot of casual fans just don't care that much where their score falls on a ten-point scale. They see it as pass fail. It skews the rating but 1 just means they think it sucks. The people giving it a 10 are just saying they love it. I think y'all are overthinking the 1-10 thing. Acolyte's low score just means 2 things, it is badly missing its potential audience and it is lackluster and amateurish in production.
So you're saying that nobody out there is giving it a bad rating because they fundamentally disagree with Disney as a company, with Leslye Headland's lifestyle / interviews, or any of the other low-hanging fruit like a cast full of women and people in color?
The Porkchop Express
AG
redline248 said:

So, do we think before the coven all dies that Mae or Osha learned about creating life so one of them can teach it to the Sith? Or do we think the Sith just learns about it and goes on a quest to uncover the secrets? Assuming it does lead to Anakin.

Personally, I have never been a fan of the theory that Anakin was created by Sith techniques. My feeling is that someone created by Sith would come out evil right away, and have no redeeming qualities. Anakin was always "good at heart." His story makes him more tragic b/c he was good.
I think that they are just showing there are parallels between Force Users. The novel Darth Plagueis, which is no longer canon, had Anakin being created by accident by Plageuis and SIdious while they were figuring out how to cheat death. It's a pretty fascinating book in that Plageuis is still alive when Anakin comes to Coruscant and Palpatine realizes what his story is. Palpatine kills Plageuis the night before he's elected supreme chancellor.

TCTTS
AG
You might say… the cognitive dissonance is next level.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
They really should have gone the Signs route. Show the flashback in every episode, for a couple minutes at a time, each time revealing a little extra info.
jeffk
AG
fig96 said:

Interesting to see the backstory of what happened and the witches were interesting as a group, but definitely told in a clunky way and there's (hopefully) more to the story that we need to see.

Yeah, there's got to be more to the fire thing. If a whole coven of force witches dies in a child-started fire like Keebler elves in a tree, you really have to question their organizational strength.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
Its clear that this was Osha POV and that we will flash back to this night several more times and see others POVs. My point is we are 3 episodes in and the plot has essentially screeched to a halt, we still don't really know or care about any characters, and the flashback-to-event-as-seen-from-multiple-perspectives structure that we all now think is happening has been set up poorly.

I'm not trashing the story, because I don't know what it is. I just think, as we have seen, the telling of it has been bad so far. I will keep watching and reserve my final judgement for when it wraps up, but I guess I am on a hard to win over path, based on what we have seen so far + how the other Star Wars shows have failed to stick any sort of landing (save for Mando season 1 and Andor).

Can I ask, are there characters that you like? Care about? Do you know what conflict needs to be overcome and more importantly, who you want to overcome in that conflict? I really want to know if others are connecting to the characters/story and this just isn't working for me.
The Porkchop Express
AG
jeffk said:

fig96 said:

Yeah, there's got to be more to the fire thing. If a whole coven of force witches dies in a child-started fire like Keebler elves in a tree, you really have to question their organizational strength.
And who the hell was the safety manager? How far apart were the fire extinguishers on each level, and how often were they checked to make sure they were functional?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

I'm seeing some speculation out there that the twins' existence is what ultimately leads to Anakin. The witches found a way to create life without a man/father, Plagueis eventually gets wind of this, dabbles/experiments, which Palpatine then perfects, eventually creating Anakin.

If you believe that lore/theory, of course.

Regardless, I think we very well could be seeing the early beginnings of a chain reaction of some sort that ultimately, in some way, results in Anakin's immaculate conception.

This feels inevitable. Thought this the instant they said there was no father.
Madmarttigan
AG
I like Sol. That's about it.
Formerly tv1113
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Granted at this point my multiple personality theory is pretty shot, but just for fun let's assume it's true...

1. All the witches are aware of Osha/Mae's affliction, and the Jedi pick up on it pretty quick, thus go along with it and interact with "both" girls.

2. The Jedi are purposely covering up the fact that Osha and Mae are the same person to all Jedi who weren't there that night.

3. Osha started the fire herself and is responsible for killing everyone. Her own guilt and the Jedi's influence have repressed those memories.
jokershady
AG
Madmarttigan said:

I like Sol. That's about it.
Read that the actor apparently had to learn some English for this role which is pretty cool.
jokershady
AG
At this point, even M Knight Shamalamadingdong would be calling that a stretch
TCTTS
AG
Personally, I kind of sort of care about the central mystery, but only in terms of what it might mean for the franchise as a whole.

Otherwise, yeah, I'm with you in that I'm just not connecting with any of the characters yet. Mainly because I have no idea who or what I'm supposed to be rooting for. I don't need a "good" or "relatable" character to root for, I just want some sense of what any given character outside of Mae is trying to accomplish, either externally or internally. And even then, we only know that Mae is angry and wants revenge, but to what end?

Ironically, the mystery is also what I think is ruining the rest of the show, in that the filmmakers have clearly fallen victim to the JJ Abrams "Mystery Box" school of writing, where in the mystery is what defines the plot instead of character. When that happens, by its very nature, the mystery can't help but obfuscate character motivations, in favor of bread crumbs and "reveals," which is the exact opposite of how any of this should work.
Flashdiaz
AG
Safety Manager? Star Wars structures are filled with high structures with no guard rails, random pits in the middle of floors, equipment in tiny platforms etc…

However, most wear some type of helmet so that's good.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I agree. But something still feels off about the whole Osha/Mae dynamic, and the "one born as two" thing.
The Porkchop Express
AG
veryfuller said:

Its clear that this was Osha POV and that we will flash back to this night several more times and see others POVs. My point is we are 3 episodes in and the plot has essentially screeched to a halt, we still don't really know or care about any characters, and the flashback-to-event-as-seen-from-multiple-perspectives structure that we all now think is happening has been set up poorly.

I'm not trashing the story, because I don't know what it is. I just think, as we have seen, the telling of it has been bad so far. I will keep watching and reserve my final judgement for when it wraps up, but I guess I am on a hard to win over path, based on what we have seen so far + how the other Star Wars shows have failed to stick any sort of landing (save for Mando season 1 and Andor).

Can I ask, are there characters that you like? Care about? Do you know what conflict needs to be overcome and more importantly, who you want to overcome in that conflict? I really want to know if others are connecting to the characters/story and this just isn't working for me.
Well I have the unfair advantage of watching it with twin sisters who are the same age as Osha/Mae so that's a built-in advantage for connecting and really talking through the episode of what we think is happening. We stop the episode probably 6-8 times to talk about what we think is happening, what characters are thinking, etc.

Moreover, I find the concept of different groups of Force users really fascinating. I won't go into the specific examples of previous usage because it will bore everyone to death, but there have been a few in novels over the past 30 years that are pretty interesting. That and the Jedi's hubris that they get to decide who uses the Force, as referenced by Luke in TLJ, is also really fascinating to me. I'd love to know when they stopped serving the Force and starting serving the Republic; it reminds me of the sub-plot of A Song of Ice and Fire where the Night's Watch forgot who the real enemy was - the White Walkers - and started believing they were there to protect the 7 Kingdoms against the Wildlings.

I care about Osha because I'm pretty convinced her whole life is a lie, and if that's the case, she's going to get to a breaking point where she makes a decision to be good, or to be good to herself and not care about everyone else. I really want to know why she left the order, especially, and even have some thoughts that perhaps something happened where she started to figure out / remember things about Brendok and the JEdi gave her the old "Men in Black" flashy light thing and convinced her she really wanted to be a meknek.

I care about Qimir because I'm convinced he's the Sith Lord and I really like the idea of a Sith who is a lot more of a manipulator/sorcerer/poisoner than a hack and slash warrior like Maul.

I care about Sol because he's very Qui-Gon like, except I think he's probably the biggest liar on the whole show. Of all the memories Osha has of the Brendok event in Episode 3, 95% of them are Sol being this compassionate, kind guy who is looking out for her. But if their whole relationship is built on a lie, what happens when she finds out?

Although he's dead, i care about Torbin, because it looks like he got the worst of it on Brendok, and carries those scars with him to the point where killing himself seemed better than admitting what had happened. That means that 4 Jedi are lying their asses off to the Council and keeping something a secret for more than a decade. what the hell did they do?

I care about Vernestra, because she's one of my favorite characters from the High Republic book series - she's knighted even younger than Anakin was, and during a time of relative peace. She's involved in some pretty daring stuff early on, then loses faith in the Jedi Council and decides to go her own route and follow the will of the Force, even though there's a war going on, she focuses on taking time to grieve and heal. Now it's 100 years later, and she's either on the Jedi Coucil or is a mid-level authority figure there, but is nothing like the Rwoh I knew int he last book I read. What happened to her? What drove her wholesome view of the Force away and left her as a friggin bureaucrat?

I care about Yord because he's the gold standard of what a Jedi seems to be in that era, but that means the Jedi are exceptionally brittle. I do think if Yord found out the truth about what happened on Brendok, he would be duty bound to arrest Sol and Kelbacca, which is lack of malleability speaks volumes to the rigid conditions that the Jedi led themselves into, to where Papatne manipulated them into getting killed in a war serving a role that made no sense (generals).

Based on my own theories, the conflict has shifted from keeping Mae from killing Sol/Kelbacca to unraveling the mystery of what happened on Brendok, and what Osha will do with her life when she finds out the truth. I think in the grand scheme of things, this is an origin story to her becoming a Sith apprentice inside the walls of the Jedi Temple, which could have some really fascinating plots in later seasons.

YNWA_AG
AG
This is the first media major outlet that has stated this.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Flashdiaz said:

Safety Manager? Star Wars structures are filled with high structures with no guard rails, random pits in the middle of floors, equipment in tiny platforms etc…

It's cause there's no OSHA in space, clearly.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Granted at this point my multiple personality theory is pretty shot, but just for fun let's assume it's true...

1. All the witches are aware of Osha/Mae's affliction, and the Jedi pick up on it pretty quick, thus go along with it and interact with "both" girls.

2. The Jedi are purposely covering up the fact that Osha and Mae are the same person to all Jedi who weren't there that night.

3. Osha started the fire herself and is responsible for killing everyone. Her own guilt and the Jedi's influence have repressed those memories.
This ruins all my theories, but these are pretty great, BES.
Claude!
Mods must be working overtime - I'm on page 15 of 14 for this thread.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Flashdiaz said:

Shut the Internet down, Spilner has won the day.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This thread getting Thanos'd...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Good post. I haven't gotten that about Sol (Qui-Gon), but I like the comparison, and can see it.
The Porkchop Express
AG
YNWA_AG said:

Not knocking you, but Forbes is to TV reviews as Entertainment Weekly is to stock tips
This story is filed "Forbes / Innovation / Games""
What?
The Collective
AG
Somehow the discussion around SW content after it is released is worse than the content itself (I'm not forgiving the mountain of suck that now exists either). It's uncanny.
CheeseSndwch
The Porkchop Express said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

This ruins all my theories, but these are pretty great, BES.

I'm going to be really annoyed if the conclusion of this series is some sort of lazy Tyler Durden esque twist.
YNWA_AG
AG

YNWA_AG said:

Not knocking you, but Forbes is to TV reviews as Entertainment Weekly is to stock tips
What?

This where every single Star Wars tv show review is posted on Forbes
The Porkchop Express
AG
YNWA_AG said:

YNWA_AG said:

What?

This where every single Star Wars tv show review is posted on Forbes
That makes it pretty hard to take it seriously. Just click bait
jeffk
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Flashdiaz said:

Idk, man. The Witch Prep School definitely got shut down due to blatant OSHA violations.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.