***** THE ACOLYTE Show Discussion (see note inside) Thread *****

154,510 Views | 1971 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The master could still be the mother.

But I'm hoping it's Darth Tenebrous.
Funny you mention Tenebrous, although it's no longer canon, I am listening to the Darth Plageuis book on audio, and Tenebrous is killed by Plagueis in a cortosis ore mine.
redline248
AG
I am shocked. Never would have thought Jecki got it so early. She was handling her business and Darth Smiles had to resort to dirty tricks to take her out. Man, Yord got screwed. Never go against better sense b/c a woman plays to your emotions. RIP, my man. You deserved better.

I still can't believe everything that went down.

Sol, could probably figure out quickly that he isn't walking with Osha, but he did just wake up from a stun. Still, I would think it would take a few minutes for him to "sense" Mae, once he started to collect himself. Bazil gonna have to save the day?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

I still don't care about a single character on this show (I felt nothing as Jecki and Yord got got, and was in fact relieved that we don't have to worry about them anymore), but that was at least the best action of the entire Disney+ Star Wars era, by a pretty wide margin.

Disagree, Jecki is probably the character I most did not want to see die.
Red Five
AG
I definitely do not like the sister switch. That's going to have to be resolved almost immediately in the next episode or it will be insulting that they expect us to believe that somehow the jedi wouldn't realize it was Mae even though she has a huge witch mark on her forehead or that her hair somehow magically stays covering it in all circumstances.

Also, Mae was up in like 45 seconds after being stunned but Sol was out for probably at least half an hour if not longer. How convenient.
PatAg
AG
redline248 said:

I am shocked. Never would have thought Jecki got it so early. She was handling her business and Darth Smiles had to resort to dirty tricks to take her out. Man, Yord got screwed. Never go against better sense b/c a woman plays to your emotions. RIP, my man. You deserved better.

I still can't believe everything that went down.

Sol, could probably figure out quickly that he isn't walking with Osha, but he did just wake up from a stun. Still, I would think it would take a few minutes for him to "sense" Mae, once he started to collect himself. Bazil gonna have to save the day?
Gonna hand the part of her robot to her and she wont know what it is.
PatAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

TCTTS said:

I still don't care about a single character on this show (I felt nothing as Jecki and Yord got got, and was in fact relieved that we don't have to worry about them anymore), but that was at least the best action of the entire Disney+ Star Wars era, by a pretty wide margin.

The deaths were definitely shocking for both of those characters, at the very least.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Veeery interesting.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Veeery interesting.
Definitely a tip of the hat at least.
CheeseSndwch

RLM's Acolyte - re:View dropped.
PatAg
AG
Whatever you feel about the pacing and story and any other issues you may have, they have done a great job of showing us how the Jedi got to a point where they could be annihilated.
Paralyzed by beauracracy and political infighting, clearly thinking they know better than everyone else, just about fully strayed from their intended path.
Essentially the same as the fall of an empire, if you want to view it that way.
redline248
AG
As for the Jedi, I have no problem with most of them dying. From what we, as viewers of everything since Ep 1, can gather, the Sith do 2 things. Hide in plain sight and train their asses off to fight.

Darth Maul was whoopin' ass on Qui-Gon 1v1, and he went toe to toe with Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan for a long time, and was finally able to separate them.

Palp took on 4 members of the council and skewered 3 in seconds. Then stood ground with Yoda and ultimately came out victorious.

The scrubs in this show were probably run of the mill knights and were clearly no match for Qimir. Sol was a step above all of them, and you can tell his training of Jecki played a role in her ability, and she still got skewered.

Yord showed some smarts by using the helmet against the guy (shout out yellow saber!), but maybe didn't put in the time training how to fight without his own saber.
redline248
AG
Oh, and if Qimir is really a Sith, what a load of BS he was spouting about "I just want to use my powers without worrying about the Jedi." Bruh, every single Sith before you used power to kill, enslave, and steal. Of course the Jedi are gonna care about that. It's not like you're out trying to grow force gardens to feed the hungry.

BQRyno
AG
redline248 said:

Oh, and if Qimir is really a Sith, what a load of BS he was spouting about "I just want to use my powers without worrying about the Jedi." Bruh, every single Sith before you used power to kill, enslave, and steal. Of course the Jedi are gonna care about that. It's not like you're out trying to grow force gardens to feed the hungry.

But he force healed! So he's really a good Sith!
Red Five
AG
I don't think he was saying that. I think his point is, if he wants to kill, steal, enslave, etc. why shouldn't he be able to? Who are the Jedi to decide how the power of the force should be used. The Sith believe might makes right, he should be able to do those things because his power means he is superior to those that cant.
redline248
AG
I agree with you, but it felt a little like "poor me I have to hide." I guess not every Sith is patient enough.
Ag Since 83
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

For the non comic/novel/PC-era video game people, the reason the Jedi sabers kept shorting out is because of an EU metal called cortosis ore that can temporarily interrupt the flow of a lightsaber.

It's a great tip of the cap to Darth Bane putting them in the show, because before he was a Sith, he was a slave mining cortosis ore.

It's also been in both KOTOR games and a major plot point in Jedi Outcast, Kyle Katarn game, and one of the best video games/storylines of the whole franchise.

More info: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Cortosis/Legends
According to Wookieepedia, the first appearance of cortosis was in I, Jedi by Michael Stackpole. It's been a while since I read I, Jedi, and I only remember cortosis from Vision of the Future by Tim Zahn, but I'll take more Stackpole/Zahn stuff brought into canon at any time.

Much better episode this week, but it does really shine the light on how badly paced the last 4 episodes were.
Mathguy64
AG
That was fun. Killing Jecki and Yord the way they did was very non Disney.

And now we know the story of the bugs.
YNWA_AG
AG
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

That's two episodes in three days of identical twins fighting bitterly.
two episodes of what?
YNWA_AG
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

TCTTS said:

jecki's makeup was so bad, I couldn't stand it.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

For the non comic/novel/PC-era video game people, the reason the Jedi sabers kept shorting out is because of an EU metal called cortosis ore that can temporarily interrupt the flow of a lightsaber.

It's a great tip of the cap to Darth Bane putting them in the show, because before he was a Sith, he was a slave mining cortosis ore.

It's also been in both KOTOR games and a major plot point in Jedi Outcast, Kyle Katarn game, and one of the best video games/storylines of the whole franchise.

According to Wookieepedia, the first appearance of cortosis was in I, Jedi by Michael Stackpole. It's been a while since I read I, Jedi, and I only remember cortosis from Vision of the Future by Tim Zahn, but I'll take more Stackpole/Zahn stuff brought into canon at any time.

Much better episode this week, but it does really shine the light on how badly paced the last 4 episodes were.
I Jedi is a very interesting read.

I think in Jedi Oucast, the 2ndary villain -Galek? Fyar has a whole suit of cortosis armor he stomps around in as the boss on one level and Kyle Katarn can't use his saber.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Also, the thing that really stood out the most to me that i really appreciate from the makers of this was the grace that Jeckie and Sol fought together against him with. That looked like something we've really not see since the Phantom Menace - a master and padawan totally in sync with each other.
Red Five
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

My memory is that the antagonists of I, Jedi were a cell of rogue force users, or maybe even just descendants of force users, that had a very rudimentary understanding of the force but had pretty elaborate cortosis ore armor. It's also been a pretty long while since I read it. That book also had the most in depth description of the lightsaber making process that I had seen to that point. I remember really liking the idea that each Jedi would use parts that had special meaning to them.
TCTTS
AG
That was indeed pretty cool. Attacking together, taking turns, having complete trust in one another in either scenario… it was all really well done.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Haven't seen HOTD?
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Haven't seen HOTD?
No, my wife has been sick and hasn't been up to watch it yet.

The Porkchop Express
AG
Explanation of cortosis ore from the man himself - Luke Skywalker in the 2002 game Jedi Outcast talking to Kyle Katarn. HE starts talking about it around the 2:00 mark.

The marvelous Dessan glitch at the end where he's standing on nothing FTW. And yes, he is a purple dinosaur.
jokershady
AG

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Haven't seen HOTD?
No, my wife has been sick and hasn't been up to watch it yet.

House of the Dead sucked….i don't recommend anyone watch that…..
TexAg2001
AG
Thanks for explaining this. I was wondering why their light sabers kept shorting out. I couldn't remember ever seeing that happen before.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This episode has a 6.7 on IMDb, which for this show, might as well be a 9.9.
YNWA_AG
AG
So the twins mother has to be darth smiles master? That would be so lame
Flashdiaz
AG
Osha mentions her mother could get into Jedi's minds. 3 episodes left, is mother the master Sith?
Flashdiaz
AG
it's been fairly predicable so far, Sith story wise.
The Porkchop Express
AG
If mendoza isn't the master, the master must be massively powerful
ABATTBQ11
AG
Red Five said:

I don't think he was saying that. I think his point is, if he wants to kill, steal, enslave, etc. why shouldn't he be able to? Who are the Jedi to decide how the power of the force should be used. The Sith believe might makes right, he should be able to do those things because his power means he is superior to those that cant.

Like Schloss, he wasn't exactly lying...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.