***** THE ACOLYTE Show Discussion (see note inside) Thread *****

154,507 Views | 1971 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
captkirk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
redline248
AG
I cannot believe that was what they decided to land on. I hate everyone in this show, now. Qimir was ok, I guess.

I know people touched on it, but what the actual f--k was Bazil doing? That made zero sense at all. He's the reason Sol is dead and Osha is training with a Sith. That sh-t made me so mad.

And then you throw creepy alien guy in a cave? What the hell for? And why did Osha start choking and Qimir started having mind control dreams? All of a sudden she can see the future and when she does it nearly kills everyone around?

And then we have the Green liar and her merry band of idiots. This is supposed to be the golden era of Jedi? They are all soooo bad at their jobs!

I swear, this is how you make Star Wars if you actually hate it...which is pretty awful considering the woman claims to be a super fan.

I've changed my mind, this is worse than Boba Fett, and Boba Fett was really bad.
C@LAg
captkirk said:

they obviously do not know "what is a woman" because they sure did not know "what is the force".
TCTTS
AG
captkirk said:

This image is seven years old. It was taken before even The Last Jedi came out. A lot has changed since then…
Cliff.Booth
PatAg
AG
C@LAg said:

PatAg said:

The show ended up not being good, but not for the reasons the review bombers have. Which makes it tough to have any real discourse. It also means they will probably get a season 2, so as to not give in to those people.
yes. lose more money. that will teach... everyone?

but yes, this will get another season because they are so desperate to move away from the core Skywalker saga, that they really have to.

in their eyes, they see no other path forward.
They arent even really moving away from the Skywalker trilogy, which I agree someone SHOULD do.
I still think there was an interesting story in this show somewhere, they just failed to bring it to life on screen.
fig96
AG
TCTTS said:

captkirk said:

This image is seven years old. It was taken before even The Last Jedi came out. A lot has changed since then…
If they want to both keep this sentiment and make a kick ass show call Bryce Dallas Howard already…
ABATTBQ11
AG
TCTTS said:

Maybe it's just me, and not to derail, but I've noticed a gradual and now stark change recently when it comes to some of that stuff. DEI divisions are being shuttered left and right, studios are in survival mode, it feels inevitable now that Trump is going to win in November, etc. I could be wrong, but it just seems like people have increasingly little time, money, or patience for a lot of that pandering/catering now, and that we're moving into a new era. It won't be overnight, obviously, but it's in the air for sure.

We'll see, but the underlying problem is that Disney ceded control to those people a long time ago. It's metastasized and become a core part of Disney's internal identity. You can say that the little Easter eggs of DEI in films and shows are inconsequential and nothing to be worked up over, but they're a consequence of Disney hiring people like Latoya Raveneau all over the place. She's not an aberration. She's a common cultural byproduct of hiring and training practices that ensures that even after the DEI divisions are gone, the mindset and culture will remain. Kathleen Kennedy seems completely bought in, and she's not going anywhere.

There's certainly a lot of pushback against woke productions and practices because they don't bring the promised profits, but there's a whole company of believers who think they're absolutely justified and need to be using Disney as a means to an end. It doesn't really matter what Iger says or wants because the rank and file will do what they want. He can't oversee every little decision.
fig96
AG
As for the ep that was just confusing.

I wanted to like this show, but the only character I ended up liking was the villain and I have no idea what anyone's motivations were. We got a couple good lightsaber scenes and that was about it.
Cliff.Booth

TCTTS
AG
I'm confused as to the point he's trying to make. This sequence, along with the first time they squared off, were maybe the only two even remotely well done sequences of the entire season. The lightsaber choreography is the only thing this show has going for it, and was admittedly even impressive at times. Granted, because I didn't care about the characters, I had zero emotional investment in either sequence, but they were at least well executed on a technical level.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Also, kinda called the end like a month ago. This show tried to be edgy and cool and mysterious, but it just sucked.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Honestly, the lighting there is God awful from the lightsabers. Apparently they didn't learn from Kenobi.

ETA Look at 22 seconds in. The blue of the lightsaber is absolutely saturating the lower left of the screen unnaturally. It makes the lightsabers look almost like cartoonish fluorescent bulbs.
C@LAg
TCTTS said:

captkirk said:

and yet they really only "pivoted" (allegedly) from that era when Iger came back a year or so ago.

So everything that has been released including this is part of THAT era.
ABATTBQ11
AG
C@LAg said:

TCTTS said:

captkirk said:

and yet they really only "pivoted" (allegedly) from that era when Iger came back a year or so ago.

So everything that has been released including this is part of THAT era.

Company culture doesn't just pivot. Unless Disney and LF clean house starting with Kennedy, nothing is really changing. They're still going to have the same bad decision makers making the same bad decisions for the same reasons.
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

I'm confused as to the point he's trying to make. This sequence, along with the first time they squared off, were maybe the only two even remotely well done sequences of the entire season. The lightsaber choreography is the only thing this show has going for it, and was admittedly even impressive at times. Granted, because I didn't care about the characters, I had zero emotional investment in either sequence, but they were at least well executed on a technical level.
The tweet your replying to would be an example of the idiots I am talking about from before. There is plenty to dislike about the show, we dont have to make stuff.
redline248
AG
Madmarttigan said:

I am 100% confident that if 10 of us got into a room together we could knock out a better story in a day. We could put out a hit given a week.
Jedi studying a dead planet that recently starting showing signs of life. One of them is a young padawan (could be Torbin, but maybe younger) and he stumbles upon twins. One of the twins runs off in fear, the other stays and forms a connection with the young Jedi. Both of them keep it secret from their respective groups and over the course of a week or so they become like best friends.

Of course, the twin's group knows, now, that the Jedi are there thanks to the other twin, but twin 2 promises to not go play with the Jedi anymore. So, she has to sneak off from the sister. When the sister finds out, she runs and tells momma that twin 2 lied and is playing with the Jedi. The twin tells her Jedi bestie, hey you better scram b/c momma is gonna be pissed and she's mean when she's pissed. Jedi finally comes clean to the rest of his group, and one of them wants to investigate these twins.

Momma and her witches show up in Jedi camp while the Jedi are discussing what to do, they attack and the Jedi go HAM. When the Jedi go to get the girls, the tattle tale runs away, falls and they think she's dead. They tell the other one that momma attacked and we tried to save her, but they like, all tranced out to empower her and she took their souls. You're lucky we found your or she would have made you a soul eater and changed your name to Oshang Tsung. They take her back to Coruscant.

Years later, one of the rando Jedi from that planet ends up dead. Torbin and the twin go in to investigate, and surpise! Scaredy Snitch twin comes at them. Bestie twin is in shock, and Torbin gets overwhelmed and killed. Snitch tells Besty "nu uh, the Jedi are murderers and killed our momma!" When Besty says stop lying, and tries to capture Snitch, Snitch smoke bombs like Batman and gets away. Besty is distraught over losing Torbin, and suddenly feelings come rushing back at losing her family and she starts getting angry at Snitch. She tells the Jedi what happens, and they come up with a plan to lure Snitch out. One of the Jedi says "IT'S A (good) TRAP!"

Next time we see Snitch she's reporting to some hooded figure that 2 of her most hated Jedi are dead, but Besty is with them and won't listen! He tells her good, that will make you angry and then you'll be strong enough to get the others. Now go find the next one and get on with your mission. When Snitch gets to her next target's planet, she discovers Besty is already there. She starts to plan how to convince Besty to leave the lying Jedi. She tries to catch Besty in the little Jedi's room, but Besty is all "ha! you fell for that you dummy!" Jedi walk up like Yo, busted! Snitch tussles with them a bit, and manages to escape...but one of the not-so-incompetent Jedi put some tracker-in-gum on the ground and it sticks on Snitch's boot.

So, even though Snitch gets away, the Jedi follow her home, and then Sithy McHood realizes it, gets all pissed cuz now he's got Jedi walking on his lawn and has to go yell at them. Big fight, lightsabers whipping around, twins square off and are stop frontin', no cap, you're a liar, no you are! Sithy kills every body, because, you know, they ain't ready for no Sith. He then starts in on Besty saying, the jedi killed your momma, but Snitch killed your buddy Torbs. You should quit all them fools. Finally, all that anger pops like John Belushi's mouth in Animal House. Besty lashes out at Snitch, they fight, Besty kills her and Sithy takes her home for some cave stew and shows her his special moonlight skinny dipping pool.

The End

Feel free to add
TCTTS
AG
I've noticed lately, more and more, that so many of these types of fans only care WHERE the pieces fall, not HOW the pieces got there. It's as if these fans watch solely to see plot points being checked, as opposed to watching for the storytelling itself. Like, what he's describing below sounds awesome. No one's mad that happened. We're upset (relatively speaking) because of HOW it happened. Because the storytelling that connected all the various plot points, and ultimately led to that outcome, sucked.

Red Five
AG
redline248 said:

I know people touched on it, but what the actual f--k was Bazil doing? That made zero sense at all. They're the reason Sol is dead and Osha is training with a Sith. That sh-t made me so mad.

FIFY

Quote:

I've changed my mind, this is worse than Boba Fett, and Boba Fett was really bad.

Let's gooooooooooooooo!
C@LAg
redline248
AG
Put her in a Star War
redline248
AG
Some fixes:

don't have Vernestra in the show and don't have Qimir be a former jedi.

Don't have twins and don't have a vergence or whatever they kept calling it

Have Osha be kicked out of the order instead of leave it, so she's more receptive to Qimir. Then you can have a conversation that's starts with "when I found you... blah blah blah"

Skip the spread out back story

Have episode 5 be the end of the season.
--------------------
Other talk
Surely that cave creeper can't be Tenebrous or Plagueis. Although, I guess what really matters is whether or not it's Qimir's master. If it is, why is it letting him train an acolyte? Why is Qimir training one under the watchful eye of his master?

If it's not a master wtf is it?

Vernestra was/is a popular character and I bet a lot of people are pissed at what this show did to her character.

I can't remember the last time I was this riled up about a show. I feel like the Ags just blew a 13 point lead in the 4th qtr.
txagman1998
AG
I was patient with this show and didn't want to pass judgement until I had seen the full season…but wow, what a waste. I really hope finance gets involved and any plans for a season 2 are shelved.

I'm a Gen Xer so I grew up with the original trilogy and it just blows my mind that they would decide to have the Jedi and Sith "switch" their good and evil roles. I understand the need to get past the Skywalker saga, but I think it would have been much better to embrace Obi-wan's point of view ("For over a thousand generations, the Jedi knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the old republic.") than Anakin's ("From my point of view, the Jedi are evil!").
Dekker_Lentz
AG
TCTTS said:

I've noticed lately, more and more, that so many of these types of fans only care WHERE the pieces fall, not HOW the pieces got there. It's as if these fans watch solely to see plot points being checked, as opposed to watching for the storytelling itself. Like, what he's describing below sounds awesome. No one's mad that happened. We're upset (relatively speaking) because of HOW it happened. Because the storytelling that connected all the various plot points, and ultimately led to that outcome, sucked.

I woke up even more annoyed and seeing some of the posted Twitter comments doesn't help.

But this person fundamentally misunderstands how this story should have worked.

In Star Wars as constructed, the light side is pure good. The dark side is pure evil. So, the Jedi and the Sith should never switch places. BUT

What can happen is The Jedi can become unsympathetic and the Sith can become sympathetic. This is the point of the KOTOR series and lots of the EU.

Exploring how the road to hell is pathed with good intentions is a great Star Wars story. This series failed to do that.
Madmarttigan
AG
I have no issues with the Jedi having faults and them making a sympathetic villain.

That is not at all the problem with this show.
Formerly tv1113
twilly
AG
Calling it now, Palpatine is the Dark Side love child of Osha and Qimir. If we're doubling down on lame, I'm starting there.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
Madmarttigan said:

I have no issues with the Jedi having faults and them making a sympathetic villain.

That is not at all the problem with this show.

Exactly. Having faults and being unsympathetic the Jedi can be and doesn't make them evil. If they are "evil" then they are no longer Jedi.
Madmarttigan
AG
twilly said:

Calling it now, Palpatine is the Dark Side love child of Osha and Qimir. If we're doubling down on lame, I'm starting there.

I hadn't considered this but somehow now that you've put it out there I'm 100% sure it's the case.
Formerly tv1113
CheeseSndwch
CheeseSndwch said:

The guy playing Mog is/was such a bad actor that I thought he must be a celebrity cameo of someone I just didn't know, but after looking him up (Harry Trevaldwyn) it appears he has a comedic background with very few film credits.

Mog and the Green Jedi sharing screen time was just a complete train wreck.

Did the show runners just cast their friends? Even with blatant Hollywood accounting there is no reason this show should cost $22M per episode.

I was really hoping Mog was a one and done cameo but someone made the terrible decision to double down and put him front and center in the finale.
jamesagg
AG
CheeseSndwch said:

CheeseSndwch said:

The guy playing Mog is/was such a bad actor that I thought he must be a celebrity cameo of someone I just didn't know, but after looking him up (Harry Trevaldwyn) it appears he has a comedic background with very few film credits.

Mog and the Green Jedi sharing screen time was just a complete train wreck.

Did the show runners just cast their friends? Even with blatant Hollywood accounting there is no reason this show should cost $22M per episode.

I was really hoping Mog was a one and done cameo but someone made the terrible decision to double down and put him front and center in the finale.

He was awful. It almost felt like a joke anytime he was on screen.
FL_Ag1998
AG
And trust me, its no coincidence that the lone main Jedi who survives this train wreck of a season, dooming us to see more of her Syfy-channel worthy performance in Season 2, is Headland's girlfriend.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Cliff.Booth said:

I'm baffled WTF this was going for until I read commentary from someone on the exact wavelength as KK and people like Leslye and Amandla. This is it.

captkirk
AG
TCTTS said:

captkirk said:

Like what?
Claude!
captkirk said:

TCTTS said:

captkirk said:

Like what?
For one, they've released a lot of bad content. Some good content, too, I suppose.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.