***** THE ACOLYTE Show Discussion (see note inside) Thread *****

154,505 Views | 1971 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
RebAg13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I liked it.
The Porkchop Express
AG
The nemoidians were really slick, and just as squirmy 100 years before tpm.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Vince Blake
Thought the first two episodes were alright. The characters grew on me over the two episodes. Especially like Dafne Keen's character. Carrie-Anne Moss was all the Jedi. Squid Game is really good as a Jedi master.

I look forward to seeing how it plays out.
After 2 episodes, I thought it was ok... almost good. If I'm Disney, that's a win after the crap they've given us. I'll keep watching.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
Madmarttigan said:

Thought it was ok, interested to see where it goes.

I felt like the opposite of previous posters, some scenes just have a very cheaply shot aesthetic to me and still think it looks meh overall.

Some shots looked off and some of the framing/shot construction was off, it was in my third negative. But there were some amazing shots as well. The vista of the sunset on Courscant as the ship was leaving was gorgeous to me. During the prison break on the ship the chaotic visuals really enhanced the story. Followed by a really odd choice of her buckling in into the seat that looked cheap.

To me some shots challenged for some of the greatest visuals and others felt like some of the worst.
redline248
AG
Here are my quibbles:

Indara wasn't strong enough in the force to stop one knife while maintaining focus on the assassin? Whatever, move the plot along, I guess

Green Jedi - is/was she the classic stubborn, won't listen to anyone type in the books/comics? I expect her having to reluctantly admit she was wrong about something at some point.

Meditating Jedi - not much faith in the Jedi way if you just drink the poison. Actually not being able to let go of the guilt after all those years is pretty interesting. In the end just gives up. How does that help Mae, assuming that, as a Jedi, he should still want to do?

Just-made-knight Jedi - I hope he gets some actual character growth and doesn't just end up dead after we all point and laugh every time the Padawan show him up.

Yes, I consider these as nit-picky. I do think the Master on Olega was a really interesting take.

Ok, this next one is not really a complaint (from a certain point of view?). The show has slightly set it up as the Jedi being the authoritarian "bad guy," and I don't know how I feel about that. I guess it can be open to interpretation, but if you're not using the Dark Side and trying to hurt others for your own gain, I'm not sure why the Jedi would care if you use the Force. I imagine it to be similar to different sects of Christianity or whatever. We might disagree about some stuff, but we both think the Force is a way to help people and maintain peaceful existence. Then again, "peace is a lie"

Short lived mystery about who is killing Jedi, but I guess that is just the appetizer for the hunt to find the master behind Mae's plot. I'm in for that.

Finally, to wrap this all up. Sol's character is great. He is what I imagine a wise Jedi Master to be. Patient, self reflecting, optimistic. What a contrast to the master on Olega. Secluded and doing nothing for years, and then just give up.

The martial arts fights have been good. I especially love the way it showed the Jedi as completely unbothered by the action.
redline248
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Hot damn there was a Selkath from KOTOR in the first episode!
I remember them!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yep, Sol is my favorite so far.

Tommen killing himself in two series now is both funny and kinda odd. Did not like that choice.
The Porkchop Express
AG
The best compliment I can give it is it looks like it was made by someone who loves Star Wars (Headland) and appreciates the details. Having the lead be someone who likewise loves the galaxy is great too.

My one downer as Trinity's death in the opening scene. No talking at all after she gets stabbed? It wasn't as bad as Talia al Ghul in Dark Knight Rises, but was weird to not keep talking after she got the knife.

I like that we already see the cracks in the Jedi that are going to lead to Palpatine's grand plan. The Jedi are already having whispered conversations about politics, they make Sol come back to discuss something when he obviously knows the next step, even Sol's good intentioned decision to take Osha to the next planet seemed like the Jedi just doing whatever they want to and not thinking that other beings aren't interested.

Really liked the prison break sequence on the droid ship.

An early theory based on the previews and what was said in this episode. The Jedi - Torbin, Indara, Kelbaccca and Sol - that "rescued" Osha - had some sort of fight on their hands on that planet, possibly with the African American "witch" from the previews and her followers. The line "Mae started a fire" that killed everyone sounds like total BS. Seem more likely that **** got outta hand and the Jedi played some sort of end-game move to eliminate the competition and presumed Mae and the others dead. Moreover, Manny Jacinto throws out the line "Don't wipe my mind or whatever you guys do." Maybe it's a Jean Grey situation where they wiped Osha's mind - just like what they do to Revan in KOTOR - to make her forget what she was, and only remember that Mae was her sister and killed her whole family.

The guy with the red saber is my biggest boggle of all.

Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Thunderstruck xx
The first two episodes were highly unentertaining. Why kill the character with the highest profile actress right off the bat? Trinity Jedi was one of the only things that drew me to this show. I guess the budget for this show couldn't keep her for more than 5 minutes of air time. After that opening scene, the rest of the show felt like a slog until the force using Wookiee at the end of episode 2. Once again the rotten tomatoes critic scores are off, and the current audience score of 51% rotten feels right on the money.
vmiaptetr
AG
After two episodes, I give it a…."meh."
PatAg
AG
first two episode are good
Noticeable step up from most Star Wars shows lately, you know which shows
TCTTS
AG
Like most everyone here, after the first two episodes I'd say it's "decent" not "great." Or, rather… competent… which is more than I can say for most Disney+ series...

- To pull off polar opposite twin sisters in the way she does, Amandla Stenberg as Osha/Mae is really impressive.

- The fight choreography is awesome.

- The story moves at an engaging pace. I don't particularly care about it yet, but at least the scenes themselves don't drag, and there's a lot of cutting back-and-forth between threads. Overall, everything feels focused and intentional, which I definitely appreciate.

- While not exactly my preferred style, as Spilner said, the look/cinematography is way better than the trailers led us to believe. Particularly, the slight added grain gives the picture a richness that doesn't at all come through in the YouTube compressions. Probably my second favorite look of a Star Wars series so far, behind Andor.

- All that said, both episodes come to such weirdly abrupt endings, in ways that seemingly only ever happen in Disney+ Star Wars and Marvel series. How they still don't know how to make well structured episodes, that each feel complete, with proper beginnings, middles, and ends, is beyond me.

- Seeing as there's apparently no way to make them not sound like boring, overly proper, stoic, stuck-up stiffs, I think I've finally decided that I simply don't like listening to prequel-era (and prior) Jedi talk. In fact, I don't think I like prequel-era (and prior) Jedi at all, and maybe/hopefully that's partly the point? Either way, beyond the dialogue, they're just not very sympathetic characters, which obviously makes them hard to root for. Though, I do like Sol's vibe more than most.
FL_Ag1998
AG
This show is obviously not on the level of Andor but like I said in another thread Andor and Rogue One are exceptions not the rule in the Star Wars universe. There are plenty of things to like about it so far, most has already been discussed.

The fights are pretty damn good. Really like the Jedi's methods/techniques.

The lead actress has been great, in fact most of the actors have been at least good. Still looking for more depth out of the Yord character. But really like Sol.

The "look" of the show has been great. Definitely feels like Star Wars, and not "cheap".

Storyline is moving at an ok pace.
Thunderstruck xx
Also, there's something about Mae's character that just feels off. We're supposed to believe she is some evil assassin that's out to kill four Jedi, but those vibes are just not there. She looks like a teenybopper that Disney pulled from one of their musicals and said "here, be mean and stuff."
Saxsoon
AG
He is paying for the feature, might as well as use it.

Been meaning to get stars again for football season and plan on using it more judiciously on this forum
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
redline248
AG
Quote:

Seeing as there's apparently no way to make them not sound like boring, overly proper, stoic, stuck-up stiffs, I think I've finally decided that I simply don't like listening to prequel-era (and prior) Jedi talk. In fact, I don't think I like prequel-era (and prior) Jedi at all, and maybe/hopefully that's partly the point? Either way, beyond the dialogue, they're just not very sympathetic characters, which obviously makes them hard to root for. Though, I do like Sol's vibe more than most.
You could be correct that the show is intentionally making the Jedi seem wooden and boring. It lines up with the idea that some in the galaxy see them as the bad guys. Especially considering the contrast Sol brings to it. Maybe he's just a better actor, maybe he's better written. I think it's possible that writers don't know how to write Jedi. At least not for tv. They fall into cliche character typing, and frankly probably don't have the time in the story to polish them into anything else.

Yord will be the test for this show, imo. Will he be the over zealous, hammer that only sees nails all series?
oragator
Meh.
justnobody79
I will call it decent. It could have been good but they just can't help themselves with their woke b.s.
El Gallo Blanco
Is any of this true or all made up? Is this the one made by the queer woman who said she wanted to make shows more queer friendly content that reflects her lifestyle or something like that? Hard to keep up.

DannyDuberstein
AG
Feels like Matt and Trey were prepared for this one.
Red Five
AG
I thought the show was fine. It was entertaining and didn't have any real negatives. The biggest compliment I can give, as has already been said, is that it looks and feels like Star Wars. That can cover up a lot of minor disappointments.

Positives:
  • Master Sol has been the best character for sure.
  • The kung-fu style fight choreography is awesome and makes it feel a lot different from prior SW. I think Mae had a line at some point about how Jedi don't pull a weapon unless they are ready to kill. Having their hand-to-hand fighting skills much more refined and elegant than the prequel era and beyond really reinforces that point.
  • I liked Manny Jacinto's character. I thought he did well.

Negatives:
  • Amandla Stenberg is pretty bad. Mae especially is not a good character.
  • Jedi overall were a mixed bag. Indara's death was cheap. A Jedi master should be able to stop two knives at once. It's even worse if the reasoning is that she didn't know the second knife existed. Mae was completely overmatched by Sol and Torbin, so what was the deal with Indara?

Things I'm keeping an eye on:
  • Yord being shown up by the padawan was ok, but it's going to get tiresome if it happens with that much frequency every episode.
  • We are going to need a more compelling villain pretty soon.
  • Looking forward to seeing who the next white Jedi to get killed is

Overall I would give this like a 3 to 3.5 out of 5 stars. Pretty good.
Red Five
AG
Obviously I don't know about anything in episode 3 or beyond, but his first 3 points are (mostly) correct. He is slightly off in that Carrie-Anne Moss did have a line or two before she was killed in the first 5 minutes of the show. I really loved the 2 mothers bit, it was so Disney. "Look, we made the first ever force-adept from an LGBT family! And you know that because we included a throw away line that will rile up every right-wing blog while actually showing we know that putting a real LGBT character in here would lose us tons of money!"

Personally, none of the stuff so far bothers me, but it's very obvious. Probably because it's Disney and people are pretty hyper aware of their strategies by now.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Keep tweets discussing future episode plot points off the thread please.

Re: the two mothers, I guess I missed that dialogue...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So according to Wookieepedia, Darth Plagueis was born between 147 and 120 BBY.

The setting of this show is 100 years before TPM (32 BBY), making it roughly 132 BBY. (Plagueis would be at max, 15 years old.)

What are the chances either Mae or her master ends up being either Plagueis' master? Honestly I just hope it's not Mae, cause I don't know if I'll buy that.

I'd be ok with a twist that a teen Plagueis is actually behind the mask though.
PatAg
AG
It will be interesting to keep learning more about this fire that killed their parents.
Osha seems to think Mae set the fire and killed their family, but also died in the fire (which is what Sol and the jedi told her)

Mae seemed surprised to find out Osha was alive, and has likely been lied to by whoever her master is. Which is probably related to her task to kill the 4 jedi that were present. So now she finds out the truth that Osha is alive, I imagine there will be some conflict over her path forward)

Sol seemed to imply that he had a choice, and that Osha could be saved but not Mae..but did he actually think she died?
redline248
AG
He flat out says he saw Mae dead. Osha also said "we saw her..." implying she also saw Mae dead. Some trick of whoever this master is? Maybe this group of witches or whatever is in the show? Idk

I don't think Mae will end up as a Sith Master. We already see the cracks in her when she learned about Osha being alive. I suspect we get a similar path as the inquisitor chick in the Obi-Wan show. Oh yeah, and the inquisitor who killed Barriss in Tales of the Empire. It's a pattern that Disney can't resist.
justnobody79
Brian Earl Spilner said:

So according to Wookieepedia, Darth Plagueis was born between 147 and 120 BBY.

The setting of this show is 100 years before TPM (32 BBY), making it roughly 132 BBY. (Plagueis would be at max, 15 years old.)

What are the chances either Mae or her master ends up being either Plagueis' master? Honestly I just hope it's not Mae, cause I don't know if I'll buy that.

I'd be ok with a twist that a teen Plagueis is actually behind the mask though.
species age differently
vmiaptetr
AG
I"m calling it now. Sol is the bad guy.
PatAg
AG
redline248 said:

He flat out says he saw Mae dead. Osha also said "we saw her..." implying she also saw Mae dead. Some trick of whoever this master is? Maybe this group of witches or whatever is in the show? Idk

I don't think Mae will end up as a Sith Master. We already see the cracks in her when she learned about Osha being alive. I suspect we get a similar path as the inquisitor chick in the Obi-Wan show. Oh yeah, and the inquisitor who killed Barriss in Tales of the Empire. It's a pattern that Disney can't resist.
Could be as simple as he saw her run back into the fire, or something like that, and just assumed she died.
They love to have Jedi dialogue leave room for interpretation in their statements.
I hope they have the guts to not just do another redemption story, need some more complexity in star wars.
Thunderstruck xx
Rotten Tomatoes audience score update: 45% rotten down from 51% just last night.
fig96
AG
Watched ep 1 last night and enjoyed it. Overall look and production design is solid, action is great, and the concept is intriguing.

Agreed with others that they seemed to give away the twin thing rather early so hoping there's something else to pursue there. Looking forward to ep 2.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
MoreCushing4thePushing said:

"Good is a point of view, Anakin."
vmiaptetr
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

MoreCushing4thePushing said:

"Good is a point of view, Anakin."

Speaking of Anakin, there is another example of someone who didn't have a father. No two mom theory, but more of the immaculate conception route.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
fig96 said:

Watched ep 1 last night and enjoyed it. Overall look and production design is solid, action is great, and the concept is intriguing.

Agreed with others that they seemed to give away the twin thing rather early so hoping there's something else to pursue there. Looking forward to ep 2.
My split personality theory isn't looking too good after episode 2, but that said, I'm not gonna write it off completely until we see both twins interact with people simultaneously.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.