***** THE ACOLYTE Show Discussion (see note inside) Thread *****

155,479 Views | 1971 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
Joan Wilder
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just re-watched Andor and every set and location looked so real and lived in, from the ISB offices to Ferrix to the prison. The attention to detail in the costumes, makeup, sets is astounding.

The fake beard on the floating Jedi in Acolyte was so bad I laughed. The green Jedi's makeup was dreadful - you could hire any MOA off drag race or glow Up to do a better job with the contouring and shading. All the sets look like they're on a budget…it honestly makes me nervous for season 2 of Andor if they're cutting costs like this.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Madmarttigan said:

The first few reviews on here were about how good the show looked and I was wondering if we were watching the same show.

I honestly can't tell why some shows like game of thrones and Andor have way better cinematography and look for significantly less money versus some of these shows that have some sort of expensive Disney channel effect like a lot of Disney shows and then Wheel of Time/LOTR on Amazon too.
Thing is, it does look good, compared to Mandalorian, Obi-Wan, and Ahsoka.

Those shows have a very distinct "volume-y" type of feel and digital look that this one doesn't.

This has a lot more locations, slightly better sets, and the added film grain, in addition to more practical alien costumes and better CGI.

That said, I absolutely agree that it's nowhere near what a GOT / HOTD looks like, which still doesn't make sense considering the budget.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Agreed on the beard. Why they hired a 20-something actor to play a middle-aged Jedi is a total mystery to me.

I have to assume there will be flashbacks coming with younger versions all the Jedi we've seen killed.
jeffk
AG
WHERE ARE MY FAVORITE CHARACTERS FROM YOUNG JEDI ADVENTURES?!?!
redline248
AG
It's been a while, but I don't remember anyone ever complaining about the way Mandalorian looked, especially in S1 and 2. I think it wasn't until Boba Fett when people started talking about the overuse of the Volume.

The Acolyte looks both good and bad. Costumes aren't great, everything feels like a tiny set...but the aesthetic does look like Star Wars and the CGI has been pretty good.

Oh well, dead horse at this point. The way it looks isn't going to factor into my enjoyment, I'll be pretty story/character focused.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I tend to lump BOBF into Mando in my head, but yeah. I feel like that and Mando S3 are where it was a little more apparent. (Though I do recall some mentions as early as S1.)
fig96
AG
I don't recall any complaints about the look of Mando when we were all deep in s1, more excitement over what they could do with The Volume.

Personally I don't hate the look of The Acolyte, it feels very Star Wars to me.
AggieOO
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I tend to lump BOBF into Mando in my head, but yeah. I feel like that and Mando S3 are where it was a little more apparent. (Though I do recall some mentions as early as S1.)
maybe that's b/c disney did that too when halfway through the boba fett, it just became more Mando.
CheeseSndwch
Ornithopter said:

Why does Mae try to grab Indara and Sols lightsabers? That's going to be a thing.

I interpreted it to be the Sith version of counting coup, basically stealing an enemy's weapon and killing them with it to be prestigious/a high honor. Maybe that's her way of earning a lightsaber since we haven't seen her wield one yet?
TCTTS
AG
Greig Fraser, the cinematographer of Rogue One, both Dune movies, and The Batman, shot The Mandalorian pilot, along with two other season one episodes. He established a really great look for it, and became a master of The Volume, but after he left, both the cinematography and The Volume use unfortunately got worse over time.

As for the look of The Acolyte, the trailers had me nervous at first, but I honestly think the final product looks fine in true 4K, on a big screen, and there's some nice grain which gives it a certain richness that, say, Obi-Wan and Ahsoka lacked. Could the sets look better? Sure, but I don't really get some of the "terrible" complaints here. Again, overall, none of it is completely to my liking or style, the cinematography is still a bit gray and flat, etc, but IMO, it's far from the worst the franchise has offered so far on Disney+.
jeffk
AG
CheeseSndwch said:

Ornithopter said:

Why does Mae try to grab Indara and Sols lightsabers? That's going to be a thing.

I interpreted it to be the Sith version of counting coup, basically stealing an enemy's weapon and killing them with it to be prestigious/a high honor. Maybe that's her way of earning a lightsaber since we haven't seen her wield one yet?

I figured it had something to do with the "kill them without a weapon" thing her master was trying to get her to accomplish. How that works exactly? No idea.
Moral High Horse
This show's look isn't good in my opinion. I get a cheesy color vibe similar to book of boba fett:

For now I'm done with the show unless I see better youtube reviews on it because what's out there now doesn't paint a pretty picture.
redline248
AG
We're only on the 3rd episode. Why bail so soon, when this will likely define the show a little better?
Moral High Horse
Most of the recent star wars movies/tv stories have built themselves around the original, sequels and prequels. They present the story and most of interest is finding out how this relates/fits in to the star wars mainstream story line.

It's my understanding(let me know if i'm wrong) that the direction is to not follow the above formular and create something new. If the Acolyte writers are going to distance themselves from the known canon and characters then the burden is on them to give me a plot worth caring for. As of right now, I'm not interested in the protagonist and there is nothing compelling at all to the story. I don't care a random jedi got killed, or that a mechanic got framed for it.

Andor started just as slow as this show but looked better and it had association with a successful prequel that I could fall back on and being curious on how it was going to be tied together.

For now I'm going to hold off on finishing Crouching Tiger Hidden Jedi.
redline248
AG
Well, as to whether or not they are actually going a new direction...I think the answer is no. Characters are completely detached from the OT, but it's more than likely going to end up as a Sith looking for an apprentice
TCTTS
AG
Fair enough.

That said, I'd be willing to bet just about anything that Yoda shows up at some point in the next six episodes, and I'm guessing that the eventual villain will in some faint way start to set the stage for the events of the prequels. Not directly or tangentially, obviously, but in creating the beginnings of a decades-long lead-up of sorts to where the Sith/Palpatine can work in the shadows and eventually emerge, there's a growing disfunction among the Jedi, etc.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Madmarttigan
AG
A lot of us are watching this with hopeful hearts because it has very little to do with the entire skywalker saga since it has been overdone and beaten to death.
Formerly tv1113
redline248
AG
I would argue it hasn't been overdone, but poorly done.

Now, I'm not saying we need more stories involving Luke and crew, but had the sequels been any good I think more people would have been ok with, if not excited for, more of the saga. Instead we got Palpatine survived and platonic love all over the place.
Cliff.Booth
The Porkchop Express
AG
big shoutout to staph for the extended vacay over the weekend, giving me time to watch Epi 1-2 a bit more and work on my theories.

#1 being that Manny Jacinto's Qimir is def the "He" Sith Lord.

I'll even double down and say that his introduction is an homage to Yoda's introduction in ESB - the person we know to be the great warrior -

Mae/Luke having an encounter with someone who looks like comic relief. Yoda is a little green gnome, Qimir is asleep in the shop and then immediately wants a drink.

But in the first conversations with our protagonist/antagonist both have sage advice from the Jedi / Sith - "Wars not Make One Great / Peace is a Lie (straight from KOTOR).

Yoda then shows he is a Jedi by saying he's watched Luke a long time and then uses the Force to talk to Ben Kenobi's ghost. Qimir tells Mae how to find Torbin's weakness, develops a lethal poison for her in like 30 seconds, and later uses a move against her when she tries to kill him for betraying him.

He also is able to somehow convince a Jedi Master, a Jedi Knight, an apprentice and Osha - that he's nothing to worry about, and is operating just outside a Jedi Temple, much like Palpatine - hidden in plain view. None of them even see him as a threat. They don't even detain him. And he just happens to have intel on where Kelbacca is hiding, when no one else seems to know.

And this last part might be a stretch, but Qimir can definitely be pronounced like "Chi-mer" which is pretty close to Chimera, which is Thrawn's ship, but more importantly, according to Merriam Webster, "chimerical figures appear as embodiments of the deceptive, even satanic forces of raw nature.

We also see how his whole personality changes when he meets Osha and has the up close "you look so much like her" moment.

I bet he tries to recruit Osha, either to replace or compete with Mae. And since most of us suspect the Jedi did something really heinous on Brendok 16 years ago, maybe Osha finds out that the Jedi have been lying to her all this time, and she picks the Dark Side.

When the show was first announced years ago, the premise was given that it was about a Sith acolyte infiltrating the ranks of the Jedi. That's definitley not Mae, who is just killing everybody. But if Osha gets recruited, and that would assume that Sol, Yord, the padawan, Kelbacca, and Light Whip McGee all get killed, then Osha comes back to Coruscant, is welcomed back to the Order for her bravery, and in Season 2, she's the mole inside the Temple, undoing the Jedi from the inside.

Let the picking apart and nerd-name calling begin.

redline248
AG
I just want it on record that I was the first to suggest the Acolyte could be about Osha, a couple pages back

As for Qimir, he could be the master, but I will stay on the side of "no" for now. Mae tells him it could be bad for both of them if He finds out about the poison. Qimir could just be another type of apprentice or henchman. Yet to be seen if he has force ability. The thing about defending himself against Mae is probably just plot armor.

Then again, maybe Hedlund was a fan of Rings of Power.

edit: oh yeah...NERD
TCTTS
AG
Love the Yoda comparison.

Also, Osha essentially telling Qimir "Don't tell him about [whatever]" (I can't remember what it was in reference to) was potentially a huge tell, as she was likely already speaking directly to "him."
TCTTS
AG
jokershady
AG
Well if he ends up being the baddie that'll be disappointing for me….i can't remember the exact words but when we see Mae and Qimir speak for the first time none of their conversation makes sense if he ends up being the big baddie….

I'll have to go back and watch again but at one point he definitely says something about not telling "Him" about the poison or something and keeping that a secret…..wouldn't make sense to me…..
TCTTS
AG
That's what SHE says to HIM. That's what I was referring to above. Which takes on a whole new meaning if he's the big bad, because now he knows she's not completely loyal to/truthful with him.
The Porkchop Express
AG
redline248 said:

I just want it on record that I was the first to suggest the Acolyte could be about Osha, a couple pages back

As for Qimir, he could be the master, but I will stay on the side of "no" for now. Mae tells him it could be bad for both of them if He finds out about the poison. Qimir could just be another type of apprentice or henchman. Yet to be seen if he has force ability. The thing about defending himself against Mae is probably just plot armor.

Then again, maybe Hedlund was a fan of Rings of Power.

edit: oh yeah...NERD
So you're staying you had staff ban me for 3 days so you could post it first

The Porkchop Express
AG
jokershady said:

Well if he ends up being the baddie that'll be disappointing for me….i can't remember the exact words but when we see Mae and Qimir speak for the first time none of their conversation makes sense if he ends up being the big baddie….

I'll have to go back and watch again but at one point he definitely says something about not telling "Him" about the poison or something and keeping that a secret…..wouldn't make sense to me…..
Yoda tells Luke "Take you to HIM I can" during their first encounter on Dagobah, referencing himself.

When Mae fights Sol, he realizes she doesn't know who her Master is.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
There's been talk of this a few pages back.

What'd you get banned for?
jeffk
AG
What night are new episodes released again?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
9 PM ET Tuesdays
FL_Ag1998
AG
jokershady said:

Like TCTTS said, Mae says that to him, not vice versa. And if Qimir is the main bad guy in disguise (and the main bad guy clearly is hiding his identity as evidenced by the mask and voice masking technology when he and Mae meet on the beach at the end of episode 1), then clearly Qimir is not going to correct Mae when she makes that statement.

I'm really liking this theory by TPE.
jeffk
AG
Thanks
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

It seems like it was some sort of lifetime achievement ban to be honest. When I asked for an explanation, I got a tc-length reply.
redline248
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

It seems like it was some sort of lifetime achievement ban to be honest. When I asked for an explanation, I got a tc-length reply.
Print it and frame it!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.