***** The Lord of the Rings: Official Thread *****

222,798 Views | 1947 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by The Porkchop Express
YNWA_AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Amazon would be smart to have rings of power debut right after the football game instead of making people wait 40 minutes
cbr
AG
I agree but is it really the same crowd?
Faustus
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Paywall. Jist?
Amazon's self-reported viewership numbers are suspect.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I gathered that, just wondering what they're basing that on.
Chipotlemonger
AG
That was a great episode. The show is definitely in a groove.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
The show is pretty good... I've gotten used to the characters and the story is building. I dig that we've seen so many spaces so far:

Forodwaith - Northern Ice area / Iron Mountains (briefly)
Valinor (briefly)
Lindon - Elf City in the Woods
Eregion - Elf City near Misty Mountains (but haven't seen much of it besides close scenes with Celemrimbor)
Khazad-Dum - Misty Mountains / Durin's Home
Numenor - Island Kingdom
Rhovanion - Harfoots migration
Southlands Village, Plains, and Watchtower - Future area of Mordor
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://www.ign.com/articles/the-lord-of-the-rings-special-edition-is-coming-to-the-us
SpreadsheetAg
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Also, I feel like they're dedicating a lot of time to the giant so the more I think about it the more convinced I am that it'll be a wizard. Cool as it would be to see Gandalf though, I hope it's not just cause it would be too lore-breaking.

I don't think it will be... I bet it turns out he is one of the two blue Maiar (aka Istari):

This may help dust off some cobwebs:

"Each Wizard in the series had robes of a characteristic colour: white for Saruman (the chief and the most powerful of the five), grey for Gandalf, brown for Radagast, and sea-blue for the other two, who are known as the Blue Wizards (Ithryn Luin in Sindarin)."

"As the Istari were Maiar, each one served a Vala in some way. Saruman was the servant and helper of Aule, and so learned much in the art of craftsmanship, mechanics, and metal-working, as was seen in the later Third Age. Gandalf was the servant of Manwe or Varda, but was a lover of the Gardens of Lorien, and so knew much of the hopes and dreams of Men and Elves. Radagast, servant of Yavanna, loved the things of nature, both animals and plants. As each of these Istari learned from their Vala, so they acted in Middle-earth."

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Technically not confirmed, but I think so too.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
bluefire579
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Perfect nerdy meme
Lathspell
AG
Was dicking around on YouTube and came across this guy's channel, which I am enjoying the hell out of. Especially listening through this one, which includes the charge of the Rohirrim music. I can't not get emotional when listening to this, and couldn't remember if they won best Score for this movie. After looking it up... I'm just blown away they didn't win for this movie. After Concerning Hobbits, this may be my favorite composition from the entire trilogy. Perhaps it's also because I absolutely love everything to do with Rohan.

I definitely view The Two Towers as the weaker of the three, but still has those same parts that are so far and beyond other movies, like the music. Are we just thinking they didn't want to give the same series the Best Score Oscar for three years in a row? Admittedly, I've never seen Frida (which won best score) so maybe i'm way off base, and that movie's score is one of the greatest of all time:

The Porkchop Express
AG
Has anyone heard about the anime movie War of the Rohirrim coming in 2024?

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/lord-of-the-rings-the-war-of-the-rohirrim-release-date-1235181646/
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Faustus
I had not, but now look forward to it.

The only downside is the violence will likely be fairly tame by today's adult anime standards so it can be seen by most ages.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
The Return of the King will come back to theaters on April 13th for its 20 year anniversary. And it's the extended edition. Crazy how well it still stands up.

https://nerdist.com/article/lord-of-the-rings-return-of-the-king-heading-to-theaters-for-20th-anniversary-screening-regal-cinemark/
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
ROTK Extended edition coming to theaters in April for its 20th anniversary.

Might be time for my fourth viewing in theaters. (Third of the extended.)

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/lotr-return-of-the-king-is-coming-back-to-theaters-for-20th-anniversary/1100-6511992/
The Porkchop Express
AG
Is there an echo in here?
Beat40
Is there an echo in here?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CocCQvqqTC7/
AliasMan02
AG
I'm sure it's in this thread somewhere, but I'm looking for a really good hardcover edition of Lord of the Rings to re-read on vacation. I'd love something illustrated. Any recommendations?

Also any recommendations for a companion atlas that isn't massive?
The Porkchop Express
AG
Break open your piggy banks for LEGO! 6,167-piece Rivendell.

BenFiasco14
AG
The third and final movie in the lord of the rings trilogy will come back to theaters on April 13th for its 20 year anniversary. And it's the extended edition. Crazy how well it still stands up.

https://nerdist.com/article/lord-of-the-rings-return-of-the-king-heading-to-theaters-for-20th-anniversary-screening-regal-cinemark/
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Holy **** that's awesome! Never got around to seeing the extended versions…
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
bluefire579
AG
https://www.polygon.com/23759179/embracer-tomb-raider-lotr-restructure-studio-closures-lay-offs

Key quote as it pertains to this thread:
Quote:

"We know we need to be exploiting Lord of the Rings in a very significant fashion, and turn that into one of the biggest gaming franchises in the world," Karch said. "And that's obviously something that we're going to do be doing. That's a much better use of resources than some of the other projects that some of our teams have been working on."
So what kind of games can we expect here, do y'all think? Gardening with Hobbits? Minecraft but with Dwarves? Middle Earth Grand Prix? A sequel to the new Gollum game but somehow even worse? Base Jumping with Denethor?
chase128
AG
Overcooked with Denethor
Claude!
bluefire579 said:

https://www.polygon.com/23759179/embracer-tomb-raider-lotr-restructure-studio-closures-lay-offs

Quote:

"We know we need to be exploiting Lord of the Rings in a very significant fashion, and turn that into one of the biggest gaming franchises in the world," Karch said. "And that's obviously something that we're going to do be doing. That's a much better use of resources than some of the other projects that some of our teams have been working on."
So what kind of games can we expect here, do y'all think? Gardening with Hobbits? Minecraft but with Dwarves? Middle Earth Grand Prix? A sequel to the new Gollum game but somehow even worse? Base Jumping with Denethor?
https://www.returntomoria.com/
bluefire579
AG
Claude! said:

bluefire579 said:

Quote:

https://www.returntomoria.com/
As I wrote that, I figured it sounded like the most realistic of them all. Fantastic
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Michael Scott and the Fellowship of the Ring
Chipotlemonger
AG
Holy **** that is hilarious
ChoppinDs40
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Was dicking around on YouTube and came across this guy's channel, which I am enjoying the hell out of. Especially listening through this one, which includes the charge of the Rohirrim music. I can't not get emotional when listening to this, and couldn't remember if they won best Score for this movie. After looking it up... I'm just blown away they didn't win for this movie. After Concerning Hobbits, this may be my favorite composition from the entire trilogy. Perhaps it's also because I absolutely love everything to do with Rohan.

I definitely view The Two Towers as the weaker of the three, but still has those same parts that are so far and beyond other movies, like the music. Are we just thinking they didn't want to give the same series the Best Score Oscar for three years in a row? Admittedly, I've never seen Frida (which won best score) so maybe i'm way off base, and that movie's score is one of the greatest of all time:

Weird bump. What is the string instrument the 2nd guy is playing? He's holding it vertically but it's bot a traditional instrument I've seen before.

Is that a mandolin he's playing with a bow?
Lathspell
AG
It's a classical Japanese string instrument.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.