***** The Lord of the Rings: Official Thread *****

222,936 Views | 1947 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by The Porkchop Express
Solo Tetherball Champ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

That being said, I never watched the extended versions.
My God man.

You need to watch these ASAP.

Although all three EE's are great, I think ROTK EE is the only way to watch it as there is some massively important stuff left out. (There's also a fantastic Boromir scene in TTT.)

I believe HBO Max may have both versions of each movie available.

Honestly, I think there are a handful of scenes that add to the experience in the EE, like the aforementioned Boromir scene, but a lot of it is fluff that disrupts the pacing of the original movie.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Mostly for FOTR. I still prefer theatrical for that.

TTT EE is the one I've seen the least but I just love that Boromir scene.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Unnecessary Deafness said:

Two years ago I decided to read each book for the first time and then watch the extended version. It was well worth it. Couldn't wait to get a chance to read whenever I got the chance while doing that.
Reading the books is definitely an experience that I love revisiting. So much detail, so much history, so many things that sound so great on the page in their original form, even if they were redirected or given to other characters to say in the movies.

As great as the arrival of Theoden (my favorite character of all in LOTR) is in the movies, it still can't beat the words on the page in my own mind when I read it the first time so long ago.

Quote:

In rode the Lord of the Nazgul. A great black shape against the fires beyond he loomed up, grown to a vast menace of despair. In rode the Lord of the Nazgul, under the archway that no enemy ever yet had passed, and all fled before his face.
Quote:

All save one. There waiting, silent and still in the space before the Gate, sat Gandalf upon Shadowfax: Shadowfax who alone among the free horses of the earth endured the terror, unmoving, steadfast as a graven image in Rath Dnen.
Quote:

"You cannot enter here," said Gandalf, and the huge shadow halted. "Go back to the abyss prepared for you! Go back! Fall into the nothingness that awaits you and your Master. Go!"
Quote:

The Black Rider flung back his hood, and behold! he had a kingly crown; and yet upon no head visible was it set. The red fires shone between it and the mantled shoulders vast and dark. From a mouth unseen there came a deadly laughter.
Quote:

"Old fool!" he said. "Old fool! This is my hour. Do you not know Death when you see it? Die now and curse in vain!" And with that he lifted high his sword and flames ran down the blade.
Quote:

And in that very moment, away behind in some courtyard of the city, a cock crowed. Shrill and clear he crowed, recking nothing of war nor of wizardry, welcoming only the morning that in the sky far above the shadows of death was coming with the dawn.
Quote:

And as if in answer there came from far away another note. Horns, horns, horns, in dark Mindolluin's sides they dimly echoed. Great horns of the north wildly blowing. Rohan had come at last.

Followed by ...

Arise, arise, Riders of Theoden!
Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter!
Spear shall be shaken, shield shall be splintered,
A sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!
Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

With that he seized a great horn from Guthlaf his banner-bearer, and he blew such a blast upon it that it burst asunder. And straighaway all the horns in the host were lifted up in music, and the blowing of the horns of Rohan in that hour was like a storm upon the plain and thunder in the mountains.

Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

Suddenly the king cried to Snowmane and the horse sprang away. Behind him his banner blew in the wind, white horse upon a field of green, but he outpaced it. After him thundered the knights of his house, but he was ever before them. Eomer rode there, the white horsetail on his helm floating in his speed, and the front of the first eored roared like a breaker foaming on the shore, but Theoden could not be overtaken. Fey he seemed, or the battle-fury of his fathers ran like new fire in his veins, and he was born up on Snowmane like a god of old, even as Orome the Great in the battle of the Valar when the world was young. His golden shield was uncovered, and lo! It shone like an image of the sun, and the grass flamed into green about the white feet of his steed. For morning came, morning and a wind from the sea; and darkness was removed, and the hosts of Mordor wailed, and terror overtook them, and they fled, and died, and the hoofs of wrath rode over them. And then all the host of Rohan burst into song, and they sang as they slew, for the joy of battle was on them, and the sound of their singing that was fair and terrible came even to the City.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
BAP Enthusiast
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Yep it's sitting at an abysmal 84% on RT, same as HotD.

Trusting any reviews for a project this big is hilarious. Just see Star Wars for the most recent examples.
The Porkchop Express
AG
BAP Enthusiast said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Trusting any reviews for a project this big is hilarious. Just see Star Wars for the most recent examples.
Looking forward to your reviews!
PDWT_12
AG
jeffk
AG
Preemptive outrage is the best kind of outrage.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Getting hyped now! Let's go!
redline248
AG
What time?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
BAP Enthusiast said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

And tossing out all positive reviews and only focusing on whatever massages your confirmation bias makes a lot more sense, right?

Either watch for yourself, or kindly STFU about the show.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
redline248 said:

What time?

8 pm CT
Lathspell
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

That being said, I never watched the extended versions. Is there a way to stream these somewhere or get for cheap?
WAT?!

The extended editions add so much great stuff to the films. I can't think of one added thing I didn't enjoy. I especially love the change to the beginning with Concerning Hobbits. I wish they had put that in the theatrical version, because it's great for introducing them to people who don't know anything about LotR.

EDIT: No, i forgot there is an added scene I didn't like involving Gandalf.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The one where the beard looks the wrong color?
Lathspell
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Where he completely rewrote Gandalf's character when compared to the Witch King.
The Porkchop Express
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Where he completely rewrote Gandalf's character when compared to the Witch King.
Yeah as great as the trilogy is they really butchered parts of the Battle of the Pelenaor Fields with Gandalf not confronting the Lord of the Nazgul before the Rohan get there, that terrible shattering of his staff in the deleted scene, and then the awkward way that they shot Eowyn killing the Lord of the Nazgul. The first part of that fight with the mace and chain is so fantastic, but the composition of the shot where she stabs him is very odd.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Ah. That's in the theatrical as well though.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Wait...is it?

Honestly can't remember because I've seen the EE way more many times. Like is said, I consider that the "real" version.
Lathspell
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Wait...is it?

Honestly can't remember because I've seen the EE way more many times. Like is said, I consider that the "real" version.
No, it is not. In the theatrical, Gandalf hears the horns while on Shadowfax in the streets of Minas Tirith. He never confronts the Witch King.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Gotcha. Yeah I remember now. Other than the staff shattering, I do enjoy the flaming sword and how the arrival of Rohan interrupts the fight.
Lathspell
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Yeah as great as the trilogy is they really butchered parts of the Battle of the Pelenaor Fields with Gandalf not confronting the Lord of the Nazgul before the Rohan get there, that terrible shattering of his staff in the deleted scene
Exactly.

I've seen arguments as to who is more powerful at this moment, the Witch King or Gandalf the White, but even Gandalf says he himself is probably the most dangerous being in Middle Earth, save for Sauron himself.

I just hate how they neutered him in that single scene when he was nearly perfect, up until that point.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

DallasTeleAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Ah. That's in the theatrical as well though.
It's not. It was in the trailer for the movie, but no the actual theatrical release.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Book Gandalf would've wiped the floor but I guess they needed a quick and economic way to make him extra scary and powerful before the Eowyn fight.

Always disliked that and how easily he's dispatched. The book somewhat improved that with the important detail that the magical dagger from Galadriel is the only reason he became vulnerable to Eowyn's blade.
Lathspell
AG
I think that comes down to Jackson changing the Battle to the biggest threat being the army itself against a completely unprepared Minas Tirith, where the book wasn't the case. Though they were overwhelmed at the battle, they held their own until the last second when Theoden arrives. When Aragorn finally brings the knights from the south, they more than won the battle... they overwhelmed the armies of Mordor with their marshal proficiency.

The true threat in that battle from the book was the Witch King himself, imo. That made the wright daggers so much more important. But that's my interpretation from having read them many years ago, the last time.
Lathspell
AG
Also, I would have loved to see a grief-crazed Eomer charging into battle and causing the orcs to flee in fear of his wrath. That added scene in the extended cut where he sees Eowyn is gut-wrenching and amazingly acted by Karl Urban. Just wish it had happened during the battle, like the book.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Shoulda just gone with the 1980 version of things.

redline248
AG
Eomer and Aragon cutting a path toward each other and meeting in the middle was some baller sh-t. Tolkien was a G
SpreadsheetAg
AG
redline248
AG
I just looked on prime video at the character bios for this show...and my excitement is lessened.

I hope I'm way off base and the show is good
Whos Juan
AG
Sex Panther said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

I refuse to believe this isn't a money laundering scam. They straight copied daytime soap opera intros.

Dead

They might as well use Careless Whisper as the theme song
black_ice
SpreadsheetAg said:

Olsen
AG
I can't believe this TV show is finally happening in less than 30 minutes from now.
PatAg
AG
Solo Tetherball Champ said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

That being said, I never watched the extended versions.
My God man.

You need to watch these ASAP.

Although all three EE's are great, I think ROTK EE is the only way to watch it as there is some massively important stuff left out. (There's also a fantastic Boromir scene in TTT.)

I believe HBO Max may have both versions of each movie available.

Honestly, I think there are a handful of scenes that add to the experience in the EE, like the aforementioned Boromir scene, but a lot of it is fluff that disrupts the pacing of the original movie.

I agree, you need to watch the Extended at least once though.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Bout to pour a cold beer. Let's do this!
PatAg
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

I think that comes down to Jackson changing the Battle to the biggest threat being the army itself against a completely unprepared Minas Tirith, where the book wasn't the case. Though they were overwhelmed at the battle, they held their own until the last second when Theoden arrives. When Aragorn finally brings the knights from the south, they more than won the battle... they overwhelmed the armies of Mordor with their marshal proficiency.

The true threat in that battle from the book was the Witch King himself, imo. That made the wright daggers so much more important. But that's my interpretation from having read them many years ago, the last time.
I always remembered it as they were holding their own, but they were definitely losing slowly.

I'll probably never stop being upset when I see the movie version of the Men of Dunharrow just being green ghosts, their whole depiction and how that arc of the story was handled was not very good.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I bet we'll get their story near the end of this series.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.