***** The Lord of the Rings: Official Thread *****

222,499 Views | 1947 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by The Porkchop Express
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hopefully you still watch every episode and trash it repeatedly for everyone's benefit.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
chase128
AG
BAP Enthusiast said:

The Porkchop Express said:

Galadriel looks great.

I kind of wish the hobbits weren't in it at all to be honest. It feels like that was the whole point of how crazy it was that they were so much in focus for The Hobbit and LOTR. Most people in Middle Earth didn't even know they were around, or had never met one.

Except that Galadriel is not and never was a fighter. She was so powerful she never needed to pick up a sword. That's one of the main aspects of her character.
Her mother called her "man-maiden" and she was described as being tall and strong. And she was one of the most powerful Noldor in Tolkien's legendarium. I don't totally agree with the show's interpretation of that to mean she was a mighty warrior.

Reading the Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, History of Middle Earth, etc I never got the impression she was literally a warrior. Maybe I missed that.

I always pictured Galadriel's power being similar to Luthien's. I was always awe struck by Luthien's magical abilities: she wrecked Sauron and hypnotized Morgoth. And whenever Galadriel was featured, it seemed like she had magical strength and nothing was really mentioned about her physical feats.

Anyways, sorry for the ramblings, hope that kind of make some sense.
BAP Enthusiast

Hopefully you still watch every episode and trash it repeatedly for everyone's benefit.

I'll never watch a single episode for the same reason I never watched a single bit of the Halo show. It was obvious from the beginning to anyone paying attention that it was going to be trash.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
But will you continue to post about how bad it is? Don't let the fact that you won't watch it stop you. These are great contributions to the thread.
The Porkchop Express
AG
BAP Enthusiast said:

I'll never watch a single episode for the same reason I never watched a single bit of the Halo show. It was obvious from the beginning to anyone paying attention that it was going to be trash.
Great!

BAP Enthusiast
Brian Earl Spilner said:

But will you continue to post about how bad it is? Don't let the fact that you won't watch it stop you. These are great contributions to the thread.

Because it's like seeing a train wreck in slow motion. I post here because I enjoy the source material and am angry at it being *******ized by people who don't care about it at all. Tolkien would have never approved any of this and for good reason.
The Porkchop Express
AG
I remember seeing Tolkien on Johnny Carson one time specifically forbidding any streaming services from getting his stuff, but that's Hollywood for you!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Uhh, Bap Enthusiast already told you it sucks. Not sure why you're posting this. Tolkien would never have approved this YouTube review.
PatAg
AG
The trailer is pretty bad, but the one before it was great.
The trailers are the only tangible, real things we have to discuss. The show isnt out.
This show is going to be one everyone has to watch for themselves to see, and just disregard critics and influencers videos I think.
redline248
AG

I intend to watch every episode and share my opinions, for better or worse. Consider yourselves warned.
cbr
AG
Ooooooph that trailer looks like this is going to SUUUK.
redline248
AG
As a random, non show question, how good are Unfinished Tales? I've never read any of them bc I don't know what to expect.
YNWA_AG
AG
It is hard to know what content is actually good this early after the Wonder Woman 2 review scandal.
chase128
AG
redline248 said:

As a random, non show question, how good are Unfinished Tales? I've never read any of them bc I don't know what to expect.

I like Unfinished Tales. There's bits of history from throughout the whole timeline of middle earth in it.
ABATTBQ11
AG
YNWA_AG said:

It is hard to know what content is actually good this early after the Wonder Woman 2 scandal.

Didn't watch it, but heard very bad things. I thought the first one was a big bag of meh outside of Gal Gadot, despite all the hype. Didn't care to watch another.
amercer
AG
Right. So most of the internet at this point is made up of people who hated things so much they couldn't watch them to decide how much they hated them.

Cool.
The Porkchop Express
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

YNWA_AG said:

It is hard to know what content is actually good this early after the Wonder Woman 2 scandal.

Didn't watch it, but heard very bad things. I thought the first one was a big bag of meh outside of Gal Gadot, despite all the hype. Didn't care to watch another.
Even as I poked the bear, I never envisioned this thread veering into Wonder Woman: 1984 territory
BAP Enthusiast

ABATTBQ11 said:

YNWA_AG said:

Even as I poked the bear, I never envisioned this thread veering into Wonder Woman: 1984 territory

That's how little people trust reviewers and "fanatics" who see it early. It's nothing but lies. If the video game review scandals and the hilarious level of lying from media didn't tell you not to trust anyone in media then nothing will.

I would rather trust independent reviewers on YouTube like The Critical Drinker than anyone affiliated with any mainstream source or who is paid by a website specifically to do this kind of work.
The Porkchop Express
AG
I'm going to go with the novel approach of watching it for myself.
ABATTBQ11
AG
amercer said:

Right. So most of the internet at this point is made up of people who hated things so much they couldn't watch them to decide how much they hated them.

Cool.

No, I watched the first one and thought it as very meh, even though a lot of people liked it. The "twist" was super obvious and everything else just bland. I wasn't interested in seeing a sequel with the same director after seeing the first. Then the second one was super hyped before its release with a lot of critical praise, but after people went and saw it the consensus was that the story basically sucked and it was very mediocre. I'm pretty sure I didn't miss anything by sticking with my assessment of the first and not going to see the second.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Which is fine, but the point is that a bunch of hype from paid critics with early viewings might be a little misleading because they get those early viewings and their paychecks by being hype machines. I will probably watch it when I have time, but my expectations will be tempered. If it's good, I'll believe it when I see it.
chase128
AG
With popular shows like this in the past, in addition to watching the show I've enjoyed reading what others think about it. Threads on Texags and reddit or some youtubers I follow, etc.

With as polarizing as this show is already, I'm probably going to dial back on viewing reactions to it online and just stick to my own viewing for at least the first few episodes.

From viewing the trailers so far, I haven't been that impressed unfortunately, but I still have some hope left.
Faustus
They all hated it.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/rings-power-first-reactions-praise-165527421.html
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I will say with House of the Dragon in full swing, I do wish they'd pushed this back just a little bit so there wasn't so much direct competition between the two. This could've had October/November mostly to itself.
chase128
AG
How would they interfere with each other? It's not like they're on during the same time slot. It's a streaming service so are you suggesting people won't bother to sub to Prime since they have HBO?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Not in the same night, but just for overall attention / pop culture impact.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Faustus said:

They all hated it.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/rings-power-first-reactions-praise-165527421.html

" I've seen #RingsofPower and I can say for certain you're in for a treat. Big, bold, and beautiful to behold. TBD if it'll sit alongside Jackson's films or deserve Tolkien's name, but for now it's all the maximalist pizazz one might expect from a historically expensive production."

That review sounds like a bunch of nonsense. Like buzz words crunched into a tweet without really saying anything
PatAg
AG
BAP Enthusiast said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

YNWA_AG said:

That's how little people trust reviewers and "fanatics" who see it early. It's nothing but lies. If the video game review scandals and the hilarious level of lying from media didn't tell you not to trust anyone in media then nothing will.

I would rather trust "independent" reviewers on YouTube like The Critical Drinker than anyone affiliated with any mainstream source or who is paid by a website specifically to do this kind of work.
fify
ABATTBQ11
AG
FightinTexasAg15 said:

Faustus said:

They all hated it.

" I've seen #RingsofPower and I can say for certain you're in for a treat. Big, bold, and beautiful to behold. TBD if it'll sit alongside Jackson's films or deserve Tolkien's name, but for now it's all the maximalist pizazz one might expect from a historically expensive production."

That review sounds like a bunch of nonsense. Like buzz words crunched into a tweet without really saying anything

"It may not be a good as LOTR and Tolkien might not have wanted his name on it, but you can really tell they spent a **** ton of money on it."

redline248
AG
Lol. So the Hollywood version of a little league dad in the suburbs?
PDWT_12
AG
In fairness Tolkien likely would not have liked his name being associated with the PJ movies but that's less indicative of the movies themselves and more the type of guy the Professor was.
cr0wbar
AG
Thought the Linkin Park outro in 'TLoTr: tRotK" was awesome

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
BAP Enthusiast
PatAg said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

YNWA_AG said:

I would rather trust "independent" reviewers on YouTube like The Critical Drinker than anyone affiliated with any mainstream source or who is paid by a website specifically to do this kind of work.
fify

Correct, independent works better.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.