***** The Lord of the Rings: Official Thread *****

222,894 Views | 1947 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by The Porkchop Express
FriendlyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Double reply
FriendlyAg
Double reply
C@LAg
FriendlyAg said:

Saw the commercial and knew it would be here
tell us again.
powerbelly
AG
What is the opposite of goosebumps?
C@LAg
FriendlyAg said:

Double reply
you mean 4x reply
C@LAg
powerbelly said:

donkeypunched.
FriendlyAg
I%92m new

Actually I got a new phone and idk what%92s going on
powerbelly
AG
C@LAg said:

powerbelly said:

donkeypunched.
AgfromHOU
AG
Saw the commercial and knew it would be here
Legal Custodian
AG
I was pretty underwhelmed but will watch it again to dissect what every detail means. But honestly, just the overall production value was low rent
C@LAg
Legal Custodian said:

I was pretty underwhelmed but will watch it again to dissect what every detail means. But honestly, just the overall production value was low rent
the standout for me was the ****ty greenscreen lighting that Disney/Marvel/Star Wars all use and cannot be bothered addressing in post-production.

i want this to be watchable, but my current expectations are very well tempered.
BAP Enthusiast
Legal Custodian said:

It looks like LOTR cosplay fan fiction to be honest.
chase128
AG
Does Amazon have that tech like Disney had for Mandalorian? It's the room that can project an environment on its walls, i think it's called The Volume.
Al Bula
AG
Yeah that trailer sealed the deal. Will not be watching. Hot garbage on an august afternoon.

Hoping the Tolkien estate does not legitimize this crap as cannon.
Madmarttigan
AG
BAP Enthusiast said:

Legal Custodian said:

It looks like LOTR cosplay fan fiction to be honest.

After the amount of money blown on wheel of time and it's production value I would not be shocked if this still looks like a CW soap opera production.

Amazon is apparently fantastic at pissing money away on **** fantasy production.
C@LAg
Easy, Rod said:

Yeah that trailer sealed the deal. Will not be watching. Hot garbage on an august afternoon.

Hoping the Tolkien estate does not legitimize this crap as cannon.
Apparently their expert which was contractually required to be part of the production quit over Amazon's "creative" bull****erry.

do not recall if that was already discussed here.
The Dog Lord
AG
Trailer was kind of meh for me. I'll still be watching though. The still shots they've released have gotten me more excited than this.
Ulrich
I'm most likely going to wait a few episodes and then check in on the reviews from some of the Tolkien people I follow to see if it's worth the time.
Lathspell
AG
Ulrich said:

I'm most likely going to wait a few episodes and then check in on the reviews from some of the Tolkien people I follow to see if it's worth the time.
This.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Interesting, I don't remember that.
BAP Enthusiast
Ulrich said:

It's almost guaranteed to be complete garbage. Anyone expecting anything but a pure dumpster fire is kidding themselves.

The LOTR fan websites are already pretty much ripping this apart. It's going to be bad and probably make The Witcher look faithful to the source material.
AgfromHOU
AG
Your new phone sucks. HTH.
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
Fans: "Here before you, great sirs, is a trove of masterpieces, hand crafted by Tolkien himself. Rubies, gold, diamonds."

Amazon: "Dude. McDonald's just discontinued some Happy Meal toys, & we can have them for cheap."
GreasenUSA
AG
I love LOTR, but I thought that trailer looked terrible. I'm sure I will give it a watch, but this makes me much less excited for the show.
javajaws
AG
Yikes that trailer looked horrible. It's like they said...let's do it like the wheel of time, but add more of everything people hated.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
After seeing WoT, I have zero hope that they do honor to Tolkien here. I'll watch the first episode or two, but I doubt I'll be able to stomach much more than that.
The Collective
AG
Admittedly, I'm not a purist, so I will probably watch it and not pick up on the thousands of things that many of you will hate or love. I was not impressed by the trailer though. One would assume they spent a pretty penny on the trailer production, as they've sunk a ton of cash into this project... if so, it does not bode well for $ making this show watchable.
powerbelly
AG
On rewatch, it looks more like a video game trailer than something for a high-budget show.
The Collective
AG
powerbelly said:

On rewatch, it looks more like a video game trailer than something for a high-budget show.

I felt like it was an expensive Final Fantasy trailer.
chase128
AG
I Have Spoken said:

powerbelly said:

I felt like it was an expensive Final Fantasy trailer.
Haha I'm a big Final Fantasy and LotR fan and I'm almost offended by this.

Nah, but seriously I've seen better Final Fantasy trailers than this LotR one and they definitely don't have the same budget so I get what you're saying. Like the Final Fantasy 14 Shadowbringers trailer got me so hyped for that expansion
BAP Enthusiast
cbr
AG
Well, i saw it and thought it looked poorly filmed with ****ty effects and with nothing interesting foreshadowed. Glad it is not just me. How can hollywood waste such easy opportunities so badly? I know there isnt much talent left there but they had jrr tolkien for the concepts. All they had to do was tweak and execute
Lathspell
AG
Because they spent more thought and effort into making the cast inclusive instead of focusing on just making a great show about Tolkien's world.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's amazing how much you know about a story you haven't watched.
Lathspell
AG
And it will be equally amazing when I am proven right.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.