***** The Lord of the Rings: Official Thread *****

222,610 Views | 1947 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/05/soviet-tv-version-lord-of-the-rings-rediscovered-after-30-years

cbr
AG
Holy mother of god...lol. If only peter jackson had seen that!
Ulrich
Well, I didn't know I was going to stay up late on a work night watching a Russian version of a fantasy novel, but here we are.
Beat40
At what age did you read the Hobbit to your kids?
amercer
AG
Younger one was 7 I think. Nothing inappropriate in the book, although maybe a little scary at points. They loved it. We tried to move on to LOTR after, but it was just too dense to hold their interest. I think by page 40 of the birthday party planning they were both bored....
Duncan Idaho
Brian Earl Spilner said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/05/soviet-tv-version-lord-of-the-rings-rediscovered-after-30-years

Much Better than the jackson hobbits but no where near as good as the ralph bakshi hobbit
caleblyn
China is re-releasing FOTR and TT.

Got me thinking, would I go watch it again in theater? Didn't take long to ponder the question...HECK YAH!!!

What say you? Would you go watch them again if re-released in US?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
caleblyn said:

China is re-releasing FOTR and TT.

Got me thinking, would I go watch it again in theater? Didn't take long to ponder the question...HECK YAH!!!

What say you? Would you go watch them again if re-released in US?
Keyword for me. I watched all 3 extended editions in theaters, back when they released them ~2017.

But the answer is of course yes.
Chase McGuire
1. Gearing up for a re-watch this weekend.

2. Holy. ***** (SIAP)

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://collider.com/lord-of-the-rings-amazon-tv-show-budget-500-million/

Season 1 with a budget of nearly $500M.

For reference, GoT S8 cost $90M.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ah, beaten to it by minutes.
SkiMo
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

$250MM is simply for the rights
DTP02
AG
Chase McGuire said:

1. Gearing up for a re-watch this weekend.

2. Holy. ***** (SIAP)

Meh, they paid for it with change from Bezos' couch. It might as well be funny money.
redline248
AG
This f-ing thread keeps falling off my watch list. The prof answering fan questions was pretty cool. Makes me want to read the Silmarillion again.
YouBet
AG
I'm going to have to reread some synopsis of all the ages before this show comes out. I've read all the books but it's been decades for most of them.
Madmarttigan
AG
I appreciate Amazon going full budget but I still don't understand why prime video does what they do. Everyone pays for prime anyways how does dropping half a billion on a tv show make any sense from a business perspective.
amercer
AG
They also just dropped a billion a year for Thursday Night Football (which is clearly the worst NFL product)

Apparently everyone doesn't have Prime yet, but people who do spend 10 times what those that don't have it spend at on Amazon.

Plus they've got a trillion dollars and maybe just don't give a ****
Gigem314
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
This almost makes me think the Wheel of Time TV show is toast, with that budget for LoTR.
Madmarttigan
AG
Baron Von Flag Smasher said:

This almost makes me think the Wheel of Time TV show is toast, with that budget for LoTR.

I'm not particularly salty that they are spending that much I'm more salty that they are spending that much on one set of fantasy material that is set in a world that has largely been done with 6 movies. There is a lot of great fantasy material that is wrapped up in studio rights that will never get made and we drop 500 million on one season of tv instead.

That budget could easily make season one of at least 5 different series like Dresden Files, Mistborn or any Sanderson, Red Rising, Weeks Shadow trilogy, etc.

And you are right it might severely hamper the budget for brand new material hitting the screen with Wheel of Time.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I agree on the premise that there are more places and universes and stories to be told and spend money on.

That being said, wasn't a good chunk of this just a sunk cost in production and ownership rights? As in the dollars will not be solely spent on the show itself.
Lathspell
AG
I'm as big a LotR fan as any nerd, but I don't get what this series is trying to do. I just don't see it having the impact of the original trilogy or GoT.

What makes those fantasy pieces so good is the author behind them giving us characters and plot that we fall in love with or love to hate. As we saw in the last season of GoT, just because you have a popular source material doesn't mean you can make a great story.

Who is going to care about a movie depicting Glorfindel, or the creation of Middle Earth? I've read the LotR and the the Hobbit 3 times each, and I am not excited about this show.

I agree with the above; there are so many great IPs out there to bring to TV or Movies. Give those a shot, first.
YouBet
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

I'm as big a LotR fan as any nerd, but I don't get what this series is trying to do. I just don't see it having the impact of the original trilogy or GoT.

What makes those fantasy pieces so good is the author behind them giving us characters and plot that we fall in love with or love to hate. As we saw in the last season of GoT, just because you have a popular source material doesn't mean you can make a great story.

Who is going to care about a movie depicting Glorfindel, or the creation of Middle Earth? I've read the LotR and the the Hobbit 3 times each, and I am not excited about this show.

I agree with the above; there are so many great IPs out there to bring to TV or Movies. Give those a shot, first.
I think you are underestimating the passion of the typical Middle Earth/Rings fan.
hunter2012
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Your first clause was contradicted by the rest of your post. This is JRR Tolkien, the prime originator of modern fantasy. Middle earth is the place for epic high fantasy of good versus evil.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
As a massive LOTR fan (movies and books), and someone who mostly enjoyed The Hobbit (but doesn't love them)...

I will take ANY opportunity to spend more time in Middle Earth. (Especially when it's the Peter Jackson / New Zealand version that we already know and love.)

Basically, think of it as the handful of GoT spinoffs HBO is working on. There are probably millions of people like myself who just want to spend more time in that world, even if it doesn't involve the characters we already know.

Personally, I am beyond excited for this show because we'll finally get to see everything leading up to that final battle that is only teased in the prologue of FOTR. There is a lot of history to get us up to that point. (Even if it's not entirely created by Tolkien.)
Chase McGuire
I'm concerned about the WoT show because that was always going to be tough to translate to a TV show format. Not sure what the level of investment is for Amazon on that one, but if one of the two shows ends up being good, I'll be happy with that.

Just the fact that we're getting them at all is a far cry from where the genre was when I was picking the books up as a kid.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, just a reminder that we'll be getting an epic battle between Glorfindel and a Balrog.

Bank on this being a centerpiece and not a flashback like in TTT.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Correction: This took place in the First Age, not Second.

Well...still think we'll see it. But, probably flashback again.
Lathspell
AG
Again... yes, great source material. But short explanations about what happened. No true story or character development from the author.

Can there be cool visuals? I'm sure; but that doesn't make a great story.

Read more, if the LotR is your only world you are interested in. There are so many great stories out there to be told. I would take a Stormlight Archive tv show or Mistborn tv show over a LotR show about a time set in the mythology of middle earth. Much better story available in Sanderson's already written novels.

And I'm not just fanboying Sanderson, I'd take many more modern fantasy series.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Agreed. Don't want to see what happened to Star Wars happen to the greatness that is LOTR. Oversaturation and canon changes.

There are many original stories to be told through the screen.
bluefire579
AG
tv1113 said:

Baron Von Flag Smasher said:

I'm not particularly salty that they are spending that much I'm more salty that they are spending that much on one set of fantasy material that is set in a world that has largely been done with 6 movies. There is a lot of great fantasy material that is wrapped up in studio rights that will never get made and we drop 500 million on one season of tv instead.

That budget could easily make season one of at least 5 different series like Dresden Files, Mistborn or any Sanderson, Red Rising, Weeks Shadow trilogy, etc.

And you are right it might severely hamper the budget for brand new material hitting the screen with Wheel of Time.
They've already attempted to turn Dresden Files into a TV show: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dresden_Files_(TV_series)

Gotta think that if Wheel of Time is successful, Mistborn won't be too far behind.
Lathspell
AG
That was not "attempting" Dresden Files. That was an abortion.

Textbook case of how to take great IP and trash it.
bluefire579
AG
Won't stop TV execs from saying "Someone already tried. Next!"
Lathspell
AG
bluefire579 said:

Won't stop TV execs from saying "Someone already tried. Next!"
It's similar to saying the movie World War Z was an adaptation of the book. Though World War Z movie was at least watchable.

Had to edit that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.