*** THE MATRIX 4 ***

87,590 Views | 841 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Tibbers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Every time I see the trailer it makes me want this movie to be so so good. Please be like what it felt seeing the matrix in 99. Is that possible? I dunno.
TCTTS
AG
Two new TV spots, and this continues to look incredible.

"I still know kung fu."

So good.

TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
In.
The Porkchop Express
AG
The toughest thing for me to sell the new one is to give me characters to care about other than Neo. I mostly lost interest in Trinity after the first one, and while I love Laurence Fishburne as an actor, his role in 2 and 3 was sort of forgettable as well. I had zero interest in any of the new characters introduced in 2 or 3 - Jada Pinkett Smith, Michael from Lost, the Up With People council of elders - all very blah.

Somebody or multiple somebodies really need to stand out in the new one to keep it from being Neo, Trinity, and a bunch of Randos Part III.
TCTTS
AG
jokershady
AG
What's up with Trinity's fake bicep sweater???
Gigem314
AG
Phat32 said:

Rewatching the original trilogy.

Matrix 1 holds up.
The first half of reloaded is terrible.
Revolutions as a whole is awful.

They really needed less non-Matrix scenes.
The Matrix always reminded me a little of Pirates of The Caribbean in the sense that the first films came out of nowhere and were WILDLY successful - and then they planned the 2nd and 3rd films close together to tie in an extension of the original storyline, and it just never matched the magic of the first movies...like they hadn't planned on making other films but were like "Well ok this is a hit, let's make more." Of course, you could say that about other trilogies. But since these came out in a similar time period, it's always been something that comes to mind for me with bad sequels.

Resurrection looks awesome though. Trying not to get my hopes too high, but I'm excited
TXAG 05
AG
Tibbers said:

Every time I see the trailer it makes me want this movie to be so so good. Please be like what it felt seeing the matrix in 99. Is that possible? I dunno.

I don't know how to match that. The Matrix couldn't have been farther from the movie I was expecting it to be, in many different ways, but was so awesome to experience
TCTTS
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

The toughest thing for me to sell the new one is to give me characters to care about other than Neo. I mostly lost interest in Trinity after the first one, and while I love Laurence Fishburne as an actor, his role in 2 and 3 was sort of forgettable as well. I had zero interest in any of the new characters introduced in 2 or 3 - Jada Pinkett Smith, Michael from Lost, the Up With People council of elders - all very blah.

Somebody or multiple somebodies really need to stand out in the new one to keep it from being Neo, Trinity, and a bunch of Randos Part III.

I will say that, based on the trailers so far, every new and old character does seem to be solely in service of Neo. There definitely doesn't appear to be a "Rey" to Neo's "Luke" or anything like that, and all of the "new class" characters - again, based solely on the trailers - come across as fairly generic "hacker punk freedom fighters" with not a lot of charm or individuality. But we'll see.

Honestly, it's kind of refreshing, though, since most of these "legacy sequels" over the years have focused primarily on young, new, leading characters, and then the old characters we know and love don't show up until later, in limited capacity. At least here they're saying, "Nope, this is still Neo's story first and foremost," which I can appreciate.

Overall, though, I definitely agree that the sequel characters absolutely paled in comparison to the OG cast, no question.
Phat32
AG
I do wish Keanu had cut his hair at one point in the film or prior to the film. This looks like John Wick part 5.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Phat32
AG
That trailer has me all messed up. Can't wait.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

So cool. I never considered the idea of the plot of this sequel itself being a deja vu, but that makes so much sense now. The machines reinserted Neo back into the Matrix, "changed something," and now everyone is reacting accordingly. Also, it seems as though Jonathan Groff's role could be a lot more significant than the first trailer led us to believe.

Cannot believe this movie is only two-and-a-half weeks away...
TCTTS
AG
YouTube embed...

TCTTS
AG
Also, the Merovingian is back, and looks worse for wear...

double aught
AG
TCTTS said:

Still seems odd to me that a movie this big will be available to stream the same day.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed. That it hits just five days after Spider-Man, which will absolutely dominate pop culture, and will then be available to watch at home as well, takes some of the fun out of it. It just doesn't quite have the "event" feel it should, at least as of now. But hopefully it's worthy, and will then have all of Christmas/New Year's/January to separate itself and make its mark.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's a double whammy of terrible decisions by WB. This should have been a May movie to kick off the 2022 summer movie season, imo.
The Porkchop Express
AG
TCTTS said:

Also, it seems as though Jonathan Groff's role could be a lot more significant than the first trailer led us to believe.

I am admittedly not the biggest Matrix fan, but I'm going to be majorly disappointed if Laurence Fishburne isn't in this thing somewhere. Neo is the hero, but I think we can all agree that Morpheus is the bad ass of the original film.

NASAg03
TCTTS said:

Also, the Merovingian is back, and looks worse for wear...

Jack Dorsey
Mike Shaw - Class of '03
Tibbers
TCTTS said:

Agreed. That it hits just five days after Spider-Man, which will absolutely dominate pop culture, and will then be available to watch at home as well, takes some of the fun out of it. It just doesn't quite have the "event" feel it should, at least as of now. But hopefully it's worthy, and will then have all of Christmas/New Year's/January to separate itself and make its mark.

Spider-Man is for kids who may go with adults. Matrix 4 is for adults who may take their kids. Maybe they are trying to do the ole double scoop?
exitone
AG
Side conversation…
Which direction is the soundtrack going to go?
The original trilogy was focused on electronica with elements of breakbeat, heavy guitar and big beat.
Are they going to go a similar electronic route, orchestral or something like what we have seen in the trailer?
Tibbers
Very cool question, my hope is they can find gems like in the first one. That was one of the best soundtracks ever.
The Porkchop Express
AG
exitone said:

Side conversation…
The original trilogy was focused on electronica with elements of breakbeat, heavy guitar and big beat.
Are they going to go a similar electronic route, orchestral or something like what we have seen in the trailer?

I read they hired Georgia-Florida Line and Reba McEntire to do the whole thing.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Spider-Man's big hook for this film is bringing back villains from movies that came out at the same time as the Matrix movies.

The now-adults who grew up with the Matrix movies also grew up with Willem Dafoe as Green Goblin and Alfred Molina as Doc Ock.

So, both of these movies are targeting the nostalgia of the same adults.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It really does feel like 2002-03 again.
Tibbers
GiveEmHellBill said:

Spider-Man's big hook for this film is bringing back villains from movies that came out at the same time as the Matrix movies.

The now-adults who grew up with the Matrix movies also grew up with Willem Dafoe as Green Goblin and Alfred Molina as Doc Ock.

Had no idea. I don't pay attention to that *****
PatAg
AG
Tibbers said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

Had no idea. I don't pay attention to that *****
Thanks for letting us know.
exitone
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

exitone said:

Side conversation…

Ha. Spectacular. But considering who is at the helm here, you could be right.
TCTTS
AG
Gigem314
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

exitone said:

Side conversation…

"We burnin' down the night dodging bullets at the moon…"
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Sounds like the first press screenings are tomorrow (Tuesday), btw. No idea yet if reactions will be allowed immediately after, though...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.