*** THE MATRIX 4 ***

83,039 Views | 841 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Brian Earl Spilner
amercer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The 2nd movie was an incredible, layered, philosophical wonder. The 3rd movie took a dump all over it, and made it terrible in retrospect.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I have the perfect title. In fact, I'll be upset if they don't use it.

The Matrix Rebooted

I like it, but it feels almost too obvious, and probably a little too close to "Reloaded." My guess is they do away with the "Re" convention altogether and go for something that more clearly separates this one (which I'm sure will be the first of a second trilogy, if successful) from the first three.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG

The Matrix: CTRL+ALT+DEL
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

and go for something that more clearly separates this one (which I'm sure will be the first of a second trilogy, if successful) from the first three.
...that identifies it as a reboot, perhaps?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Or maybe they go full 90's MTV with The Matrix Unplugged.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Or maybe they go full 90's MTV with The Matrix Unplugged.
I prefer the one with LL Cool J
Gigem314
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

The Matrix: CTRL+ALT+DEL
The Matrix: Neo The Norton Anti-Virus
hunter2012
AG
TCTTS said:

I had never heard of the other two writers on this, so I just looked them up. Both are uncredited writers on season two of Sense8, but are otherwise pretty well known authors...

Aleksandar Hemon - Author of the books Nowhere Man and The Lazarus Project.

David Mitchell - Author of the book Cloud Atlas.

It seems like the falling out between Lana and Lilly happened between seasons one and two of Sense8 on Netflix. When Lilly dropped out of season two, Lana brought on Hemon and Mitchell to help write/conceive season two in Lilly's absence. So that creative team was then carried over for this.

I've heard all kinds of opinions about Sense8, but Cloud Atlas might be my favorite non-Matrix Wachowski effort, so at least this has that going for it. I thought the makeup/using the same actors across all stories was a huge misfire, but I appreciate the idea/effort behind it, and the story itself was amazing. If anything, it gave us one of my favorite trailers of all time, but, admittedly, you put M83's "Outro" (beginning at 3:17) over anything and it'll seem like the most beautiful, epic thing ever...

A cross dressing Hugo Weaving as the evil head nurse is a national treasure, you take that back.
Texaggie7nine
The only one that really follows the titles would be Matrix Revelations.
7nine
Cromagnum
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Concordantly!

I watched that skit so many times I remember it by heart.

Herego!
Vis a vis !
ChipFTAC01
AG
Excited to see Sherlock Holmes 3 finally getting made.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Is it wrong that the one I'm most excited about on that list is Masters of the Universe?
TCTTS
AG
Yes. Because The Batman and another Christopher McQuarrie written/directed Mission: Impossible are on that list as well...
Gigem314
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Excited to see Sherlock Holmes 3 finally getting made.
I love you 3000 my dear Watson
Texaggie7nine
One of the best breakdowns of the Movies I've seen

7nine
TCTTS
AG
That was pretty damn good. Thanks for posting.
rednecked
AG
dromo07 said:

but... I thought it was a trilogy? There aren't 4 in a trilogy unless we are updating the definition of trilogy

Douglas Adams updated the definition of Trilogy. From Wikipedia in regards to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:

The novels are described as "a trilogy in five parts", having been described as a trilogy on the release of the third book, and then a "trilogy in four parts" on the release of the fourth book. The US edition of the fifth book was originally released with the legend "The fifth book in the increasingly inaccurately named Hitchhiker's Trilogy" on the cover. Subsequent re-releases of the other novels bore the legend "The [first, second, third, fourth] book in the increasingly inaccurately named Hitchhiker's Trilogy". In addition, the blurb on the fifth book describes it as "the book that gives a whole new meaning to the word 'trilogy
West Point Aggie
AG
If this was one of those threads asking what popular blockbuster have you never seen, this movie would one of my many answers.
Let’s Go Brandon!
wangus12
AG
TCTTS said:

Where is Triumph the Puppet Dog!
PatAg
AG
wangus12 said:

TCTTS said:

Where is Triumph the Puppet Dog!

Do you mean Triumph the Insult Comic Dog?
G Martin 87
AG
dlance said:

maca1028 said:

Nice effort though

Google said it was her and it looked like her. I suck at identifying smoking hot womens in photos.

CobraCP88
AG
The Matrix: Blue Screen of Death
exitone
AG
TCTTS said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I have the perfect title. In fact, I'll be upset if they don't use it.

The Matrix Rebooted

I like it, but it feels almost too obvious, and probably a little too close to "Reloaded." My guess is they do away with the "Re" convention altogether and go for something that more clearly separates this one (which I'm sure will be the first of a second trilogy, if successful) from the first three.

I agree. I think they have to get a fresh start here. New naming convention, and they can't simply make this a rehash of the original plot. There was was such a sour taste in everyone's mouth after the trilogy wrapped up, and it's been 20 years... I think they come into this with a lot of changes. Hopefully they are as revolutionary with this as they were the first one.
TCTTS
AG
By the very nature of the plot of The Matrix it would almost be a challenge to rehash the original. The question, "What is The Matrix?" was so baked into the narrative of the first movie that I don't see how the filmmakers could duplicate that even if they tried. So that's a positive, at least.

That said, for the life of me... I can't imagine what the plot of a fourth movie will even entail.

Given the involvement of Reeves and Moss, we can assume that roughly the same amount of time has passed in the movie world that has passed in our world (I almost said "real world," which might be confusing). Unless they're de-aging them in every frame, and this is some kind of crazy prequel, we have to assume that this is a true sequel and that roughly 18 years will have passed since the human/machine truce was reached.

So... story-wise, what do you do with a truce?

Not only that, but when everyone is aware of The Matrix, and can choose to live either inside or outside of it, what's the drama/tension there? Who/what is the threat in that scenario?

Have the machines gone back on the truce in the past 18 years? Or will the movie's inciting incident see the machines do just that? Either way, will we then simply watch Neo & co try to "free" people once more? (which would be repetitive as hell)

In terms of clues, save for how things ended at the conclusion of the trilogy, the only other bit we have to go by is the short Lana Wachowski quote from yesterday's press release...

Quote:

"Many of the ideas Lilly and I explored 20 years ago about our reality are even more relevant now. I'm very happy to have these characters back in my life and grateful for another chance to work with my brilliant friends."

The "... ideas [from the first movie]... about our reality are even more relevant now." So, how, exactly, could those "ideas" translate to plot? Right now, same as the movie world at the end of the truce, most everyone "lives" online in some form or fashion through social media and the like, yet suicide rates are up, depression runs rampant, and we've never felt less connected as a species. Could there be some kind of similar situation among those willingly living in The Matrix? Are they still unfulfilled in some way? But how would that conceit even translate to an action movie?

What other "ideas" from the first movie apply even more in today's world?

What other plot elements could you guys see them implementing?

Any ideas? Because I'm at a loss.
TCTTS
AG

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/what-will-matrix-4-say-identity-21st-century-1233650
Texaggie7nine
Don't know if they will live up to their word that the Matrix Online game was official canon, but in that, Morpheus died and Neo had code fragments of himself being found around the matrix, leading to rumors that he might be reassembled in the future.
7nine
Phat32
AG
The Matrix is now just a social media simulation where all of the "batteries" walk around on their phones.

Neo tries to free them but is #MeToo'd into oblivion. Movie ends.
Al Bula
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Really good explanation, however that is part of the problem for me.

Why is further explanation really needed? Some movies can pull off leaving interpretations to be open-ended and it can totally work if done correctly. See Inception for example.

The Matrix trilogy, while overall really, really good, left more questions than answers almost to the point of the questions being plot holes. For example, when the Matrix is rebooted and a few people are spared how do they get so far underground? Is Zion located in the same place after each reboot? Why can't the machines easily get to Zion and destroy it. Why does Neo wake up in the train station?

Those questions can all be answered if you care to search some dorky fan faction dark web sites, I am sure. But they all really point to the The Wachowski not being good storytellers. I might be the exception but I like movies to explain 85% of things in a clever, well done manner and leave <=15% to ponder.

Having said all that I would guess the "real" world (that was destroyed by atomics and where Zion is underground) is also just a layer of the Matrix. There will likely be lots of SJW content added as well.

The trilogy is still being discussed 15-20 years later so kudos to the Wachowskis, but this feels like The Matrix 4: The Search for More Money.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
My problem with a 4th matrix starring two people who clearly died in the last one is that I'm going to have to accept some nonsensical event happening for them to be "reborn" and make the rest of the movie watchable.

Mr. Spock died at the end of Star Trek II, but there were clear indicators injected into that movie to make it plausible for him to come back in Star Trek III. Neo's end was at least somewhat ambiguous because the machines took him away at the end. Trinity was impaled. There aren't a lot of anti-impalement apps out there.

I know there is the Animatrix episode that shows the buildup to the current war, but I would love some sort of prequel featuring Ted, Carrie-Ann Moss, and Laurence Fishburne at their current ages all being hackers/computer experts who helped build the original machines that then turned on humanity. That would lead to their being lots of Neo, Trinity, and Morpheuses in the Matrix's early days because the machines used their DNA or used them as avatars when it started generating the early versions.

Would also love to see a movie about the early versions of the Matrix and how they kept failing to create a version that people would accept. Although if you were in the Matrix beginning at birth, it doesn't seem like your brain would reject anything - you wouldn't know anything different than the images broadcast into your mind since birth, right?

Texaggie7nine
The story got so detailed because of the fan following and everyone wanting to know, the brothers doing sci fi conventions, and the extension of the story over to the video games. The Matrix Online was conceived to be as big as WoW soon after became. They believed the story would be extended for years through it.
7nine
Texaggie7nine
Quote:

Would also love to see a movie about the early versions of the Matrix and how they kept failing to create a version that people would accept. Although if you were in the Matrix beginning at birth, it doesn't seem like your brain would reject anything - you wouldn't know anything different than the images broadcast into your mind since birth, right?
The implication was that the human mind had evolved to have a certain expectation of reality, and it instinctively knew that it wasn't meant to exist in a perfect world.
7nine
Quad Dog
AG
Quote:

That would lead to their being lots of Neo, Trinity, and Morpheuses in the Matrix's early days because the machines used their DNA or used them as avatars when it started generating the early versions.
Interesting idea, and maybe the plot of Matrix 4. Machines kept making Humans for generations in the matrix, but they kept using the same DNA and are essentially clones now. So Matrix 4 is about the clones of Neo, Trinity, Morpheus questioning their destiny and individuality in a world where there are a lot of clones. They are trying to escape the past of the former versions of themselves. The former versions of themselves made the deal with the machines, but they don't like it 100% (can't the machines clone brain dead energy sources? or use lichens or something?), but who are they to change the deal?
TCTTS
AG
Shife said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Really good explanation, however that is part of the problem for me.

Why is further explanation really needed? Some movies can pull off leaving interpretations to be open-ended and it can totally work if done correctly. See Inception for example.

The Matrix trilogy, while overall really, really good, left more questions than answers almost to the point of the questions being plot holes. For example, when the Matrix is rebooted and a few people are spared how do they get so far underground? Is Zion located in the same place after each reboot? Why can't the machines easily get to Zion and destroy it. Why does Neo wake up in the train station?

Those questions can all be answered if you care to search some dorky fan faction dark web sites, I am sure. But they all really point to the The Wachowski not being bad storytellers. I might be the exception but I like movies to explain 85% of things in a clever, well done manner and leave <=15% to ponder.

Having said all that I would guess the "real" world (that was destroyed by atomics and where Zion is underground) is also just a layer of the Matrix. There will likely be lots of SJW content added as well.

The trilogy is still being discussed 15-20 years later so kudos to the Wachowskis, but this feels like The Matrix 4: The Search for More Money.

Except that none of those questions seem all that relevant to the story that was told. That comes across as some Comic Book Guy level complaining about logistics that don't really affect the immediate plot. To me, the Wachowskis absolutely explained "85% of things in a clever, well done manner." The movies may have gotten increasingly worse, but most of the explanations from that video were there in the narrative, without hitting us over the head. It was just nice to have someone break it all down concisely 20 years later.

And yes, this is no doubt The Matrix 4: The Search for More Money... just like there didn't need to be Star Wars sequel trilogy or nine Fast & Furious movies or four Terminator reboots. But Hollywood is a business, and Warner Bros. is trying to use its assets to make more money, just like any business would.
TCTTS
AG
Quad Dog said:

Quote:

That would lead to their being lots of Neo, Trinity, and Morpheuses in the Matrix's early days because the machines used their DNA or used them as avatars when it started generating the early versions.
Interesting idea, and maybe the plot of Matrix 4. Machines kept making Humans for generations in the matrix, but they kept using the same DNA and are essentially clones now. So Matrix 4 is about the clones of Neo, Trinity, Morpheus questioning their destiny and individuality in a world where there are a lot of clones. They are trying to escape the past of the former versions of themselves. The former versions of themselves made the deal with the machines, but they don't like it 100% (can't the machines clone brain dead energy sources? or use lichens or something?), but who are they to change the deal?

Not a bad idea.

This is something I've always wondered. If two people have sex in the Matrix, and one of them gets pregnant in the Matrix, do the machines actually take the sperm from the father in the real world and the egg from the mother in the real world and make a baby in the real world that is truly their child, plug that baby in, etc? Or is the resulting baby not genetically related to the parents and instead just one of a number of DNA clones the machines have stored?
TCTTS
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Don't know if they will live up to their word that the Matrix Online game was official canon, but in that, Morpheus died and Neo had code fragments of himself being found around the matrix, leading to rumors that he might be reassembled in the future.

Good to know. And yeah, that's still my number one theory - that Neo and Trinity have only been "resurrected" in the Matrix, not in the real world. Seems like it'd be the simplest/easiest way to bring them back. And I still think they're going to go with a whole "next generation" cast/lead as well, and that Neo/Trinity will basically be mentors/guides in some capacity in the Matrix for these new characters. In real life, Keanu, obviously, is not mortal, seemingly doesn't age, etc. That dude is a freak of nature. But Carrie-Anne Moss is 52 years old, and looks it. Don't get me wrong - she looks great for age, but she more accurately looks like she's in her 50s than Keanu does. Either way, i just can't see this movie hinging on a couple of 50 year olds doing stunts like they did back in the day. There's just no way. So my guess is that they've aged comparatively in the computer world and will merely be remnants of their former selves / guides for the new characters.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.