*** THE MATRIX 4 ***

84,865 Views | 841 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Dad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I saw it on hbo and had low expectations and found it entertaining but I would not recommend anyone going to a theater to see it.
Mr. White
Paid almost $40 for two IMAX seats for this crappy movie and no one was even checking tickets/phones at the theater.

Unbelievable
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Saw yesterday at a work team-building event. Good thing we had lunch prior to the movie, and got to have all the interactions with each other that we did, because the movie itself sucked ass. Reminded me why I never bothered to watch the first two sequels. But all this cost me was some time out of my afternoon, so I'm not going to complain.

But I won't be watching this steaming pile of dogcrap again.
Tibbers
Can we start calling movies like this "streaming piles of ****" now?
Phat32
AG
That was terrible. I would have much rather the theater just shown the original.
double aught
AG
Well these reactions are disappointing. But they're not surprising when you think about it. The original Matrix is the only really good movie the Wachovskis have ever made if memory serves.
Tibbers
double aught said:

Well these reactions are disappointing. But they're not surprising when you think about it. The original Matrix is the only really good movie the Wachovskis have ever made if memory serves.

It's true. Cloud Atlas was interesting but I think you're right. They struck lightning in a bottle and have failed to replicate any modicum of their previous success. Oh well. Not a bad deal to be a lauded one hit wonder I suppose.
JD Shellnut
AG
double aught said:

I really liked V for Vendetta.
TCTTS
AG
- Speed Racer is goofy as hell, but a legit good/fun movie.

- The Wachowksis didn't direct V for Vendetta - they only wrote/produced it - but yeah it's pretty good as well.

- I'd also recommend Bound, their very first movie, before The Matrix.
fig96
AG
TCTTS said:

- Speed Racer is goofy as hell, but a legit good/fun movie.

- The Wachowksis didn't direct V for Vendetta - they only wrote/produced it - but yeah it's pretty good as well.

- I'd also recommend Bound, their very first movie, before The Matrix.
Speed Racer is one of my guilty pleasure films. It knows exactly what it is and just goes for it, and the race sequences still look fantastic.
BudFox7
The Wachowksis brothers made better movies than the sisters.

This was horrible, and I'm a big Matrix fan.
YouBet
AG
JD Shellnut said:

double aught said:

I really liked V for Vendetta.

Great movie. Extremely relevant and probably always will be.
SamHou
First one was great. Rest sucked. But it's hard to fault them for making the sequels given the money they made
aTmAg
AG
SamHou said:

First one was great. Rest sucked. But it's hard to fault them for making the sequels given the money they made
Agreed.

Does anybody know if they originally planned to make more than 1 movie? The first ended on a perfect note. The rest were guaranteed to suck after that.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Bound is good.
AustinAg2K
I finally got around to watching this on HBO. Feel asleep after about 30 minutes. I guess I'll try again tomorrow. I can tell this is going to be a movie that will require several viewings for me, because I'm going to keep falling asleep.
SockDePot
Huge matrix fan. Even liked 2 and 3, though not near as much as 1.

This is a giant meh. I went out of my way to see it in a theatre. Definitely wouldn't have missed out on watching at home.

Left with lots of questions, maybe that's the intention.

Mostly, wtf happened with people getting out if they wanted, are they currently at war, or just hiding, etc.

I feel like we need to know what happened the last 60 years.

Wife hated NPH in the movie, I kinda liked him.

Feel like the whole smith thing was a waste, maybe she's setting it up for future movies, and the central theme was the love story of neo and trinity.

Also, was Morpheus a straight up evolved sentient program based on the real Morpheus, or was it Morpheus' consciousness that resided in the matrix that was repurposed?
The Porkchop Express
One of his best. Felt like it was written by the guys here who watched this thing opening night.

TCTTS
AG
So good.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Started watching this late last night. Got to the scene with Neo sparring with the new Morpheus in that dojo and turned it off to ring in the new year.

Really doubt I'll turn it back on. Just such a weird movie that it didn't really feel like any of the original cast/crew really cared about being there. The lone bright spot was the actor portraying the new & improved Morpheus. He looked like he was having a ball.

This movie was just.....weird. And not in an interesting way.
Madmarttigan
AG
The line about the machine civil war made me lol. Would have actually been an interesting premise to base this movie around.
TCTTS
AG
Seriously. That was the PERFECT set up. We have the truce/peace established from the last movie, and now, twenty years later, a large faction of machines are starting to "defect" (i.e. want to go back to the way things were), a machine civil war breaks out, and we focus on the humans caught in the middle. The defecting machines eventually win, and then, for Matrix 5, it's the freed humans + the good machines - vs - the bad machines. A truce was never going to work and it's an all-out fight to the death.

At the end of this version of Matrix 4, we could even learn that Neo and Trinity were kept alive, same as in the version we got, but we've had an entire prior movie with the new cast (a better cast than what we got, save for Bugs, who was great). And then in Matrix 5, they have to free Neo to try and win the war. Same basic story we got, just told way better, with way more context/backstory leading up.

Could have been so great.
Ulrich
This movie is going to seem dated VERY fast.
Azariah
AG
I thoroughly enjoyed this one.
Breggy Popup
AG
Wife and I watched it last night. We enjoyed it.
PatAg
AG
Raptor
AG
Watched this installment this morning. Entertaining.

Yes, the time loop and man vs machine was a little thread bare, however it was worth the price I paid.

Nothing, because I mooched my sister's HBO Max account.
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

Decay
AG
I agree with TC about this film. I don't really care about the things. The first Matrix is such a world of mystery and opportunity. Matrix 2-4 showed that there's not anything worthwhile to discover in that world. Like it makes me want to go back to Matrix 1, plug back in, and never see anything outside of the Matrix. Just show us a whole movie of oblivious people and hints and clues and trying to figure it all out. No payoff ever. Just a deep study in deja vu and spoons and white rabbits.

Eat the steak, take the blue pill. Ignorance is bliss.
amercer
AG
Well, as expected that was terrible.

I thought it would be more subtle, and clever, and still be bad. But nope. Just self referential, too on the nose, and terrible.

The 'member berries almost made it worthwhile, but not quite.
Tibbers
The matrix sequels are like when horror movies try to tell the viewer the backstory of the killer or show too much of the monster. It's a mystique killer.
ArchAg01
AG
Anyone else feel like they were watching a sitcom reunion where the actors were too old to really try to make another show/movie? It was awful...great ideas, but executed like a B movie. The concept of using clips from the original as a video game Neo designed could have been believable if it was bits and pieces of what happened instead of having full and total recall of events. The action sequences were underwhelming with a geriatric Reeves who showed every bit of being 57 years old.

My childhood was ruined after watching this movie.
Quad Dog
AG
ArchAg01 said:

Anyone else feel like they were watching a sitcom reunion where the actors were too old to really try to make another show/movie? It was awful...great ideas, but executed like a B movie. The concept of using clips from the original as a video game Neo designed could have been believable if it was bits and pieces of what happened instead of having full and total recall of events. The action sequences were underwhelming with a geriatric Reeves who showed every bit of being 57 years old.

My childhood was ruined after watching this movie.

I agree, I posted earlier that at times it felt like a clip episode of a sitcom.
Has a major movie ever used that many clips from a previous movie before?
Could have been a cool device had they subtedly changed those clips to have Neo, etc. Making different choices from the original movie. Similar to making different choices in a video game.
amercer
AG
Tibbers said:

The matrix sequels are like when horror movies try to tell the viewer the backstory of the killer or show too much of the monster. It's a mystique killer.

I will still argue that the second one was great. A ton of cool philosophy about consciousness and self determination wrapped in clever analogies to the digital world with bits of fantasy from the collective human psyche layered in.

Then the third one took a total dump on that. From a ruining the original standpoint number 4 has nothing on the 3rd one.
amercer
AG
Also sucked that Neo lost the ability to control machines in this one. The only cool part about the 3rd one was him sort of becoming a wireless modem god of the machines.
Al Bula
AG
Finally catching up on this. I admit I wanted to hate this movie, then the first half when Neo was living the good matrix life had me thinking that all this meta stuff is not so bad and most definitely smart satire.

Then Neo wakes up and the cringe begins with the old ass Niobe, friendly lovable robots, terrible code-Morpheus and Doogie MF'n Houser.

This movie should not have been made.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.