*** THE MATRIX 4 ***

83,324 Views | 841 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Brian Earl Spilner
elfurioso92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hard to imagine this being good, but would rather see another Matrix film than the upcoming Terminator.
TCTTS
AG
MBAR said:

I just want to point out, its possible to have a discussion about this movie without caring what genders someone may or may not identify as. As always, it was the people who allegedly don't care who brought it up for no reason what so ever (and then continued to make multiple posts about it).

If you really don't care about something, then you usually don't mention it. You certainly don't harp on it. Let people live their lives as long as it doesn't affect you. Its not that hard.

Normally, I'd agree with you. And I'm not a fan of the mocking any more than you are. But seeing as their sexual fluidity is so imbued in their work (themes of identity in multiple projects, the S&M elements of The Matrix Trilogy, etc.), I wouldn't say their sexual identity is completely off topic. That, and Lana/Lilly have apparently had a falling out, which I wasn't aware of - they closed their production office this past October - so their personal life in that sense is relevant to the news today as well, seeing as this will be the first Matrix movie without both of them writing/directing.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TC: I remember you saying that Chad Stahelski likely let more slip than he was supposed to earlier this summer.

Good call.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, something was definitely up. I just figured it would be the Michael B. Jordan soft reboot version (same continuation but all new characters) and not a version with the original (and very dead) main duo back. Granted, I guess this still could be the former. Surely there's a younger star they'll be pinning this on.
TCTTS
AG
All I know is that however this ultimately pans out, the first teaser trailer, at least, has a ton of potential. Marketing a return to The Matrix could be a lot of fun...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's been 16 years. This would be our Phantom Menace, if we were Star Wars OT fans when they were coming out.

How's that for feeling old.
TCTTS
AG
Btw, assuming that early 2020 start date is accurate, 2021 is definitely bringing the heat in terms of massive sequels and tentpoles...

02.12.21 - Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9376612/

03.05.21 - Masters of the Universe
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0427340/

04.02.21 - Untitled Fast & Furious 10
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5433140/

05.07.21 - Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9419884/

05.21.21 - John Wick: Chapter 4
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10366206/

05.28.21 - Cruella
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3228774/

06.11.21 - Untitled Jurassic World 3
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8041270/

06.25.21 - The Batman
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1877830/

07.09.21 - Untitled Indiana Jones 5
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1462764/

07.16.21 - Space Jam 2
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3554046/

07.23.21 - Untitled Mission: Impossible 7
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9603212/

08.06.21 - The Suicide Squad
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6334354/

10.15.21 - Halloween Ends
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10665342/

11.05.21 - Thor: Love and Thunder
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10648342/

12.17.21 - Untitled Avatar 2
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1630029/

12.22.21 - Untitled Sherlock Holmes 3
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2094116/

TBA 2021 - Untitled The Matrix 4
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10838180/

Considering Reeves has John Wick: Chapter 4 in May, and Warner Bros. already has The Batman in late June and The Suicide Squad in August, I don't quite know where this fits in the schedule. Summer 2021 seems out of the question. So maybe they squeeze it between Thor: Love and Thunder and Avatar 2? Roughly Thanksgiving 2021? Unless the reports are off and this doesn't start filming until later in 2020? Still, even a fall 2020 production start is way too early for a summer 2022 release...
m-walker
AG
TCTTS said:

I still don't understand how this would make sense. A young Morpheus would set this before they freed Thomas Anderson, aka Neo, from The Matrix.

Don't forget, he was freed multiple times.
TCTTS
AG
I don't think that's quite true, though. "The One" was freed multiple times. But they were apparently different people each time. In other words, I don't think the machines regrew a human being who looked like Keanu Reeves for every iteration. I could be wrong, though.

Anyone else have any clarity on this?
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

It's been 16 years. This would be our Phantom Menace, if we were Star Wars OT fans when they were coming out.

How's that for feeling old.

That's pretty crazy.
TCTTS
AG
How convenient that this new just happened to be announced the week before...

MBAR
AG
TCTTS said:

I don't think that's quite true, though. "The One" was freed multiple times. But they were apparently different people each time. In other words, I don't think the machines regrew a human being who looked like Keanu Reeves for every iteration. I could be wrong, though.

The videos of him when he reached the architect were all Keanu. The way I took it was that they created the one intentionally (the machines) as they knew he'd always make the choice they wanted him to and that was their method of controlling him.
Not a Bot
AG
TCTTS said:

The original story made no sense at all so any explanation they throw out there will work.

Maybe Colonel Sanders figured out a way to time travel and is going to try to kill Neo all over again. But this time the goofy dredded twins look like SpongeBob Squarepants. People will still see this s*** regardless of the story.
Ulrich
I've always viewed that as his conflicting emotions being displayed. Doesn't the architect say he's the seventh? There are hundreds of screens.
TCTTS
AG
I had never heard of the other two writers on this, so I just looked them up. Both are uncredited writers on season two of Sense8, but are otherwise pretty well known authors...

Aleksandar Hemon - Author of the books Nowhere Man and The Lazarus Project.

David Mitchell - Author of the book Cloud Atlas.

It seems like the falling out between Lana and Lilly happened between seasons one and two of Sense8 on Netflix. When Lilly dropped out of season two, Lana brought on Hemon and Mitchell to help write/conceive season two in Lilly's absence. So that creative team was then carried over for this.

I've heard all kinds of opinions about Sense8, but Cloud Atlas might be my favorite non-Matrix Wachowski effort, so at least this has that going for it. I thought the makeup/using the same actors across all stories was a huge misfire, but I appreciate the idea/effort behind it, and the story itself was amazing. If anything, it gave us one of my favorite trailers of all time, but, admittedly, you put M83's "Outro" (beginning at 3:17) over anything and it'll seem like the most beautiful, epic thing ever...

Ulrich
Also, the first was great. I think that is probably because they poured years of thinking into it. That created a layered, thematically complex movie. The subsequent movies were much more like plain action vehicles. They had with themes, but they were normal action movie themes: protecting your loved ones, facing unpleasant truths, or getting bjs from computer programs. Not nearly the philosophical depth.

Perhaps with time, they've got a new set of ideas and have gotten back to what made The Matrix great. Or maybe it's a money grab or it'll be straight SJW propaganda. Could go either way. Opinions will be strong, I know that.
TCTTS
AG
Ulrich said:

I've always viewed that as his conflicting emotions being displayed. Doesn't the architect say he's the seventh? There are hundreds of screens.

Exactly. That was all of *this* Neo's potential reactions. Not all of the *other* Neo's reactions from previous iterations. And yeah, sixth or seventh. Can't remember which, exactly.
Breggy Popup
AG
MBAR said:

TCTTS said:

The videos of him when he reached the architect were all Keanu. The way I took it was that they created the one intentionally (the machines) as they knew he'd always make the choice they wanted him to and that was their method of controlling him.

Neo also tells Morpheus later in essence that the prophecy was all BS. Remember that every human plugged in was supposed to die if Neo didn't walk through the source door to restart the system. They didn't.

Since Neo made a deal with the machines to save Zion if he stopped Smith I could see the machines somehow healed him and Trinity.
Ulrich
TCTTS said:

Ulrich said:

Exactly. That was all of *this* Neo's potential reactions. Not all of the *other* Neo's reactions from previous iterations. And yeah, sixth or seventh. Can't remember which, exactly.

I assume he's the seventh since that is an auspicious number in so many cultures.
Breggy Popup
AG
Ulrich said:

TCTTS said:

Ulrich said:

I assume he's the seventh since that is an auspicious number in so many cultures.

Neo was the sixth iteration according to the Architect.
TCTTS
AG
I'm still going with Neo and Trinity being in the computer world only - like digital copies/remnants of their real selves - but that's a good point. The machines had Neo's body in the end, and Trinity's wasn't too far away (in the crashed ship). I guess, using some movie/machine magic, they could bring them back to life somehow.
MBAR
AG
TCTTS said:

Ulrich said:

Hmm I didn't take it that way but it definitely makes sense.
Breggy Popup
AG
TCTTS said:

I'm still going with Neo and Trinity being in the computer world only - like digital copies/remnants of their real selves - but that's a good point. The machines had Neo's body in the end, and Trinity's wasn't too far away (in the crashed ship). I guess, using some movie/machine magic, they could bring them back to life somehow.

I mean, the machine leader's name was literally Deus Ex Machina.
TCTTS
AG
Like Ulrich says, there are hundreds of screens. I didn't take that to mean hundreds of past Neo's, as there had only been five before the Neo we knew.
Bruce Almighty
AG
HeadGames said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

HeadGames said:

That is sad. Ignoring the obvious reason why that is a ridiculous choice. The matrix was amazing for its time, but really isn't great. While Kathryn Bigelow makes great movies. She should have been everyone's first pick.
The hell you talking about?

One of the best and most influential sci-fi movies ever made.

You mean a rip off of Dark City? Sure.

This isn't true at all. The Matrix was in development well before Dark City came out. There is zero chance they saw Dark City and then 13 months later, popped The Matrix out. The Matrix has many influences, Ghost in the Shell being the biggest.
TCTTS
AG
dlance said:

TCTTS said:

I mean, the machine leader's name was literally Deus Ex Machina.

Ha, wow. Of course. Forgot about that.
PatAg
AG
I just realized I don't actually remember how the third movie ended
Breggy Popup
AG
PatAg said:

I just realized I don't actually remember how the third movie ended

Neo gets carried off to the Source (TCTTS? HA!), the Matrix reboots and the Oracle et al have a chat on the park bench.
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

Near the Machine City, the Logos is bombarded by thousands of missiles, causing it to crash, fatally wounding Trinity. Neo enters the Machine City and encounters "Deus Ex Machina", the machine leader. Neo warns that Smith plans to conquer both the Matrix and the real world, and offers to stop Smith in exchange for peace with Zion. The machine leader agrees and the Sentinels stop attacking Zion.

The Machines provide a connection for Neo to enter the Matrix. Inside, the Smith with the Oracle's powers steps forth, saying that he has foreseen his victory against Neo. After a protracted battle, Neo realizes there is no other way to win and allows himself to be assimilated. The machine leader sends a surge of energy into Neo's body in the real world. Because Neo is connected to the Source, the energy surge causes the Neo-Smith clone and all other Smith clones in the Matrix to be destroyed, deleting Smith once and for all. The Sentinels withdraw from Zion, Morpheus and Niobe embrace, and Neo sees a final vision of the machine city while seemingly succumbing to his injuries, as his body is carried away by the machines.

The Matrix is rebooted, and the Architect encounters the Oracle in a park. They agree that the peace will last "as long as it can", and that all humans will be offered the opportunity to leave the Matrix. When questioned about Neo's fate, the Oracle tells Sati that she thinks they will see Neo again as Sati reveals she created a beautiful sunrise over the horizon in Neo's honor. Seraph asks the Oracle if she knew this would happen. She replies that she did not know, but she believed.
TCTTS
AG
He got too close!
Tobias Funke
AG
MBAR said:

I just want to point out, its possible to have a discussion about this movie without caring what genders someone may or may not identify as. As always, it was the people who allegedly don't care who brought it up for no reason what so ever (and then continued to make multiple posts about it).

If you really don't care about something, then you usually don't mention it. You certainly don't harp on it. Let people live their lives as long as it doesn't affect you. Its not that hard.

As for the Matrix 4, hard pass. I love the first one, and I even really really like the second one contrary to most people. The third is a throwaway, but its definitely been a downward trend since the first and there's no reason to expect this to be good based on what the duo has done since then.

I believe there are likely some out there DEFINITELY NOT ME THO who may possibly believe that transitioning from male to female is a sign of mental illness THESE ARE NOT MY OPINIONS OF COURSE and that while the original Matrix was incredible, perhaps this writer/director has lost a bit of their grip on reality which would very much affect the quality of the movie I CERTAINLY DONT THINK THIS IS THE CASE.
TCTTS
AG
Forgot about this bit...

Quote:

When questioned about Neo's fate, the Oracle tells Sati that she thinks they will see Neo again...
Al Bula
AG
Look for this movie to be the "landmark" moment (sarcasm) when trans characters are introduced to the silver screen.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Maybe they revert the Matrix to the last restore point and Neo and Trinity get brought back that way.
Ulrich
Would Keanu agree to be in anything controversial? He doesn't seem especially predictable, but based on a "29 strangest, coolest things about Keanu Reeves" slideshow that I read on buzzfeed, I have a hard time imagining him volunteering to be in a firestorm.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.