***Aquaman***

55,057 Views | 451 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Not a Bot
Hello there
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

From a grading or comparison view I don't trust WW audiences to be a gauge of the quality of a film.
Nobody was doing that. I was simply reporting $$$.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Hello there said:

Quote:

From a grading or comparison view I don't trust WW audiences to be a gauge of the quality of a film.
Nobody was doing that. I was simply reporting $$$.

The post I replied to immediately after you posted the number said it was a "travesty" and lamented how it ranks in the DC universe.

That seems to be a judgment on the quality of the film vis a vis it's WW box office. To me.
Hello there
Fair enough.
Hello there
Passed Iron Man domestically.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Domestic:
1. WW - $412M
2. BvS - $330M
3. Aquaman - $328M
4. SS - $325M
5. MoS - $291M

And still making a few million each weekend. Will finish at #2.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Probably should - despite my qualms about a few (trivial) thing it was still a fun movie to watch and none of those others 2-5 were.
rhutton125
AG
Finally we're getting the Trench spinoff that DC fans have always wanted!
canadiaggie
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Probably should - despite my qualms about a few (trivial) thing it was still a fun movie to watch and none of those others 2-5 were.

I'll always love one scene of BvS and MoS each though. That scene where Batfleck pulverises the goons in the warehouse was probably the best live action Batman action sequence ever, and Cavill's first flight in the suit in MoS was exhilarating
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
All of Man of Steel is fantastic.
AgfromHOU
AG
I'm convinced they only said that to test leaks
jackie childs
finally got around to seeing Aquaman. Even though it was a smaller theater, I was surprised that it was still completely full on a Sunday afternoon.

Overall, I enjoyed it. While it had some really bad dialogue and some overly cheesy moments, I thought it was a fun film and I liked that it didn't take itself too seriously.

there were some scenes that were just visually incredible.

also, i found it funny that a movie that spends a huge chunk of screen time deep under water winds up being the brightest, most colorful DC film yet.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Offically the #2 DCEU movie behind Wonder Woman.

$331M domestic.
YouBet
AG
Now out on VOD.

My god that was cheesy as hell!

Pros:
- Amber Heard is hot. Who is she?
- Underwater visuals were great and that main battle was pretty spectacular.
- Visual of them descending to trench reminded me of LOTR in Moria and later Gandalf falling with Balrog was cool.

Cons
- Black Manta was possibly the worst villain in any comic movie ever. His dialogue was embarrassing and I can't believe they kept him alive for a return.
- Music choice was atrocious. Did we get trolled with those song choices and that half assed musical score? Wow that was terrible!
- Call me....Ocean Master. I call you gay for issuing that line!
- Editing: when they figured out the golden trident was at the double islands about a mile offshore after looking through the periscope. Yet, that's not where it actually was as they ended up way out on the ocean about five minutes later. I guess they changed their mind after filming it.

Having said that we had fun watching it.
Render
AG
YouBet said:

Now out on VOD.

My god that was cheesy as hell!

Pros:
- Amber Heard is hot. Who is she?
- Underwater visuals were great and that main battle was pretty spectacular.
- Visual of them descending to trench reminded me of LOTR in Moria and later Gandalf falling with Balrog was cool.

Cons
- Black Manta was possibly the worst villain in any comic movie ever. His dialogue was embarrassing and I can't believe they kept him alive for a return.
- Music choice was atrocious. Did we get trolled with those song choices and that half assed musical score? Wow that was terrible!
- Call me....Ocean Master. I call you gay for issuing that line!
- Editing: when they figured out the golden trident was at the double islands about a mile offshore after looking through the periscope. Yet, that's not where it actually was as they ended up way out on the ocean about five minutes later. I guess they changed their mind after filming it.

Having said that we had fun watching it.

A thot who took half of Johnny Depp's money.
YouBet
AG
I see that she's from Austin. Not a good actress but nice to look at.
rhutton125
AG
Quote:

Black Manta was possibly the worst villain in any comic movie ever. His dialogue was embarrassing and I can't believe they kept him alive for a return.

(Evil voice) "Your lady friend has people who like to keep tabs on her!"
YouBet
AG
Quote:

King Orm: Today we unite our kingdoms. Tomorrow we scorch the surface!

Wouldn't a people who live underwater probably not use a destructive adjective only associated with land? I would have expected "drown" or "flood" or something like "we will scour the surface and wash away their existence!" Equally as dumb but at least more logical.
AgfromHOU
AG
Music and dialogue were absolutely terrible in this movie. James Wan did wonders to keep this movie from bombing. He's even said he won't direct the sequel unless the script is better.

About the double islands, the trident thing pointed to a direction, using the islands as a guide. They needed to travel in a straight line (impossible in the water) that goes between the islands until they came upon the Trench.
bearamedic99
AG
I finally saw this movie.

So much of this movie was bad, and listed by rhutton on a previous page, that I can't yet wrap my head around if this was soon to be a cult classic bad or just bad.

The visuals were beautiful and I felt the acting was decent. The story was a bit all over the place. I had no problems with Amber Heard, enjoyed seeing Dolph, and Nicole was as beautiful as ever. I feel like there needs to be an annual movie experience with Momoa. We've seen him as a Mongol style warrior and now as a superhero. He definitely was fun in SG Atlantis (though so scrawny back then). His love of life seems to infuse his characters.

I wonder looking back now that Shazam kicked ass if people were over-hungry for a DC win and gave it too much credit in their love of this movie or if I'm jaded after IW and Endgame.

Yoda
AG
Now that its HBO run is here, I tried giving this one a chance. Reading through this topic, I think it's all been said before.

What I never saw was a discussion about Aquaman's powers. Why is he bulletproof, sword-proof, and grenade-proof? Just not clear where his superpowers come from, and how that makes him different from the other Atlantis folks? Only thing I was sure of is the non-royals can't breathe out of water, and Aquaman is the only one who can communicate with fish.

I guess the great whites were like domesticated horses, ridden into battle. Oh, and in a great homage to previous cinematic classics, Jaws 3 & 4, it was nice to hear a great white who could perform a lion roar.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I mean, why is Thor all of those things?
Yoda
AG
Can't recall how Thor's powers work either, but I chalked it up to the whole Asgardian thing of him being from another planet. If I'm understanding the Aquaman lore correctly, they were once regular Earth-dwelling humans who possessed great technology, but lost control and sunk their city as a result? From there, different surviving factions evolved into various tribes/species, but I'm unclear if all of the Aquaman tribe is also bullet-proof, or is it just him? Either way, why is their skin like steel? I know... don't overthink it, but usually there is at least a "they were bitten by a radioactive fish / fell into toxic waste" kind of sci-fi explanation. Not saying there isn't one here, but if so I have missed it.
amercer
AG
Saw it on a plane this week. It was a fun way to kill a couple or hours but it was kind of Scorpion King level dumb.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Watched the beginning briefly last night for the first time since falling asleep during it at the movies.

My one overarching opinion is that there are some roles where a producer places simultaneous phone calls to the agents of Patrick Wilson and James Marsden and whoever answers the phone first gets the job.

AgfromHOU
AG
His skin is denser, hence why the Atlanteans aren't crushed by the deep underwater pressure

Just as easy as chalking up Thor's relative invincibility to Asgard.
Yoda
AG
I can buy that. Is the same true of regular Atlanteans, meaning they can't be stabbed or shot?
AgfromHOU
AG
I would assume so, unless stabbed by Atlantean steel (which Manta stabbed Aquaman with in Italy). Aquaman does have abilities other Atlanteans don't because he's half human, which is why he can control sea life. Mera has Old God magic, which allows her to manipulate water. All other Atlanteans are just normal people that happen to live underwater (with denser skin).
PatAg
AG
They said they were infused when they had the their experiment backfire, the same energy that sunk the city.

I think if this movie edited about 30 minutes out, that didn't really tonally fit, it would been a lot better. Still fun.
AGnBCS
AG
Here is my theory. Full disclosure I have not seen if this has been discussed before or if it will be revealed later but here goes. The Atlanteans are descendants of those kryptonians that came to earth 100k years ago ( ship stuck in ice, Man of Steel) . Anyway that would give them the tech and the enhanced abilities albeit watered (no pun intended) down from that of Superman .

Any takers ?
bearamedic99
AG
I'm still curious who was in the empty cryo chamber from Man of Steel in that ship that was found.
YouBet
AG
bearamedic99 said:

I'm still curious who was in the empty cryo chamber from Man of Steel in that ship that was found.
I believe the internet consensus is that it is Supergirl.
Not a Bot
AG
Two different defense witnesses have now testified in the Depp v. Heard trial that Aquaman was the, or one of the, greatest films of all time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.