***Aquaman***

55,104 Views | 451 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Not a Bot
Post removed:
by user
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The review headlines are more entertaining than the movie itself seems to be. And this is the review that ensures I'm definitely not seeing it in theaters...

canadiaggie
AG
79% on RT with 47 reviews in. If the trend holds it'll probably stay above 70%, end up certified fresh when it's all said and done, and everyone on this thread crowing about how awful it is will likely have seen it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
RT has basically become meaningless to me when it comes to comic book movies.

The critics couldn't stop raving about Civil War, WW, Black Panther, etc, and totally **** on Man of Steel and BvS, which are much better movies.

I'll see for myself. I trust no one when it comes to MCU and DCEU.
rhutton125
AG
It definitely sounds... interesting. Cheesy, for better or worse. Lots of CGI, for better or worse. I think this might see a lot of variance in opinion.

Curious to see how the consensus ends up. I feel like it will either be seen as fun enough to outweigh the bad parts, or too cheesy and over-the-top to work. Some of the "fresh" reviews on RT sound kind of bad, for example. So I guess I'm more interested than I was a day ago!
Post removed:
by user
canadiaggie
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

RT has basically become meaningless to me when it comes to comic book movies.

The critics couldn't stop raving about Civil War, WW, Black Panther, etc, and totally **** on Man of Steel and BvS, which are much better movies.

I'll see for myself. I trust no one when it comes to MCU and DCEU.
Yeah I'm not one to cry about the grand Disney reviewer conspiracy, but reviewers have really weird and uneven standards for CBMs especially when it comes to how they grade MCU and DCEU movies. It's almost like how SEC refs call targeting
bearamedic99
AG
My wife is likely to take me to it so she can enjoy looking at Jason M.
double aught
AG
rhutton125 said:

Lots of CGI, for better or worse.
There's no for better when it comes to lots of CGI.
TCTTS
AG
Wait, you're saying BvS is better than Civil War, Black Panther, and WW??? I'm no advocate for the latter two, and Civil War is fine, but I don't see how anyone can put BvS above any of them.
PatAg
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

TCTTS said:

I just don't think I can bring myself to see this theatrically. It'll likely be the first DCEU/MCU movie I don't see in the theater.
If you saw Suicide Squad theatrically, then you should see Aquaman.
Let's be honest: the second trailer for Suicide Squad (The Bohemian Rhapsody one) was one of the best trailers in a long, long time. The Aquaman trailers? Not so much.
I'll disagree with you there, nothing about Suicide Squad ever looked good to me.
hurleyag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Extended Cut - yes.
TCTTS
AG
I admit, I do need to check out the extended cut. Still, the bones of that movie are so broken...
AgfromHOU
AG
The extended cut is much more coherent, but doesn't fix that Snyder wasn't the right guy for the job. You see more of Lex pulling strings behind the scenes and Clark being a reporter (good scenes). Still worth checking out, and much better than the theatrical cut. Snyder just tried to go too big with this movie. Superhero blockbusters, especially ones that are supposed to set up the universe, shouldn't be 3+ hours long. Justice League was originally also 3 hours long.

If Avengers: Endgame wants to be 3 hours, they've earned it (coming from a DC homer) through creating a story worth telling the end of, even if it takes 3 hours.
AgfromHOU
AG
73% right now, so not moving in the right direction but way better than the other movies outside of Wonder Woman. If it can stay above 65%, I think it's a win for DC moving in the right direction.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Will be at $170-180M in China after its second weekend.
rhutton125
AG
If I'd told you all a year ago that a Transformers film would be 20% higher than a DC film on Rotten Tomatoes, would you have ever guessed that they'd both be Fresh?
Madmarttigan
AG
The extended cut still doesn't fix what is fundamentally broken about the film, Lex's motivations for creating what could have potentially been a world ending monster that he had no control of. It was never implied or stated that he had any measure of control over doomsday so why would he release that into the world.

Besides the fact that the writing/acting for lex was terrible it's just such a massive plot hole that makes no sense. This is coming from someone whole largely glosses over and doesn't care about plot holes.
Formerly tv1113
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I never understood the complaints on Eisenberg's acting. I thought he did great with what he was given.
rhutton125
AG
I think he way overplays it. He has a mental breakdown in the middle of a speech. He "intimidates" a senator into giving him everything he wants and then forces him to eat a jolly rancher. He or someone in his employ pisses in a jar and sneaks it into a congressional meeting. He could have destroyed the earth (and himself) as part of his master plan.

I'm not sure how much of that is script and how much is performance, but Eisenberg's neuroticism makes him an easy scapegoat. Hollywood's most punchable face, IMO.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I honestly doubt any of that was improvised.

But regardless, I kinda dug the different take on it. Guy is just wacko.
TCTTS
AG
I really liked the *idea* of Lex as evil Zuckerberg (or, more evil, rather). It felt modern and fresh and Eisenberg obviously felt like the perfect fit for multiple reasons. The character as written, and performed at times, just felt like such a wanna-be TDK Joker, though. Like a more intellectual Joker, and it just didn't work for me. Lex needs to be brutal and calculated. Like Philip Seymour Hoffman's character from M:I3 meets Steve Jobs. Not a trickster, not a punk, and certainly not someone who just unleashes Doomsday on the world without a plan.
israeliag
AG
Or Daredevil's Wilson Fisk, but more corporate. He could still have the mannerisms that Eisenberg portrayed and be a Zuckerberg (though Bezos might be a more apt comparison these days to Lex - if only physically), but he just didn't feel calculated/rational enough, seeming more reactive/emotional in his decision making.
TCTTS
AG

PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Im out
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Momoa is just plain cool.

Sex Panther
AG
Being Mr Worldwide includes the oceans obviously
dave94
AG
I'm definitely going to see this in theaters, and pretty quickly, but that commercial during Thursday Night Football still looks like a damn mess of cgi action.

I hope it's enjoyable but I'm very skeptical of how good of a movie it will actually be.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
wangus12
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Momoa is just plain cool.

Man Amber Heard is hot
double aught
AG
wangus12 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Man Amber Heard is hot

Then you should check out Woman Amber Heard.
Micah97
AG
double aught said:

wangus12 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Man Amber Heard is hot

Then you should check out Woman Amber Heard.

I chuckled
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
I liked the pitbull MIB III song ( Back in Time) which was basically a mashup with an older song. But that Toto mashup is bad.
Saxsoon
AG
John Hamm could make for a fun business tycoon lex Luthor

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.