***Aquaman***

55,138 Views | 451 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Not a Bot
Tanya 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So how much is he shirtless?

Asking for a friend
wangus12
AG
Tanya 93 said:

So how much is he shirtless?

Asking for a friend

Quite a bit. I think you'll be satisfied
AgfromHOU
AG
Excited to see it this afternoon
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think most of the first half.
AgfromHOU
AG
Really enjoyed the movie. Definitely corny and cheesy in parts, but what do you expect from a movie about freakin Aquaman? Captain America was super corny and you saw how much better those got.

Terrible music choices, though. Just terrible.

Very fun movie.
wangus12
AG
Quote:

Terrible music choices, though. Just terrible.
I'm ready to hurt the next people who use the Rains Down in Africa song.

That said, I thought the underwater scenes had a massive Tron vibe to them
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Thought it was pretty bad... and that was with me expecting it to not be very good. Biggest issue for me was the dialogue, sounded on par with straight to Disney channel movies. I know it was PG-13 but felt like the movie was targeted for 8 year olds for like 90% of it.
fig96
AG
That was actually a lot of fun.

Totally ridiculous in spots and a little cheesy in others, but they did a decent job with the overall tone and the story was pretty predictable but enough to move things along. I could do with a bit less slowmo and the hyperkinetic editing in the action sequences, but the underwater stuff was really cool and the big battle sequence is insane.

Probably my favorite DCEU film to this point.
RDV-1992
Saw it today. Thought it was really really bad. A ridiculous movie.
YouBet
AG
Very mixed reviews so far on this thread.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I had a good time with the movie. Predictable, yes, goofy, yes, but a good time at the movies.

Was this a prequel or a sequel to Justice League? I think I recall Mera, the hot red head, introducing herself to Arthur, and then later mentioning Steppenwolf, the forgettable villain of JL. Yet she was also in JL.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sequel. We never saw Mera in JL that I recall.
AgMarauder04
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Sequel. We never saw Mera in JL that I recall.

She was BRIEFLY in JL before Steppenwolf attacked.
The Kraken
AG
I'm usually one to criticize but I really enjoyed this one. Went in with relatively low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. Entertaining the whole way through.
fig96
AG
YouBet said:

Very mixed reviews so far on this thread.
I feel like it kinda depends what you're looking for.

IMO the DC films have been pretty bad in general (though I'm a huge Batman fan and I'd love for them to be good), and the fact they're even doing a film about one of the most ridiculed DC characters in itself is kind of ridiculous. So if you went in expecting a "serious" superhero film then yeah, you were gonna hate this one.

But from the trailers you knew what kind of film it was going to be, and going in expecting that I really enjoyed it. I think Wonder Woman was a better film up till the third act, but Aquaman understood what it was and actually had fun with it. It's not a great film, but it's a fun holiday action popcorn flick.
samurai_science
I think its better than the Last Jedi...but that is not saying much.

Justin2010
AG
The actors gave it their all. But there wasn't much to work with. I wish they'd have allowed Jason Mamoa to be even more himself.

Boring in a lot of parts. Extremely predictable.

I'm tired Hollywood giving us crap movies with insane CGI and hoping we'll be too dazzled to notice.
texagbeliever
Very predictable. The only surprising part was that I thought it was going to stop at a few of the scenes before the end for a hobbit style cliff hanger.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My bad, totally forgot about that scene.
John Matrix
AG
This film is obnoxious, loud, makes no damn sense, and is an all out assault on the senses, but damn did I have fun. The script is garbage, but the world building is next level stuff which, in the end, makes this the second best DC film so far, after Wonder Woman.

The set design on this deserves all of the oscars. The world created by Wan and co. is imaginative, intricate, detailed , and, occasionally, truly wonderful. The variety of creatures alone make this something that should be seen in theaters. There's warriors on sharks, crab armies, and a Lovecraftian beast that Aquaman rides to battleit's pretty awesome, imaginative stuff. Of course, all of this serves a story that makes no damn sense, completely skips and adds exposition at will, and limits a pretty charismatic star in Momoa to mostly smirks and winks instead of actual character-building mechanisms. Yet, there's heart to it especially with Arthur's relationship to his parents. There's a sweetness there that tends to override the really, really dumb and cheesy stuff around it.

I really like James Wan as a genre director, and he directed the absolute **** out of a garbage storyline. There's nothing half-assed here. You can tell he didn't have a script that was worth a damn, so he embraced the ridiculousness of the premise and just amped it up.

In the end, I think this is worth a trip to see it in as loud a theater as possible. Just don't expect it change the world, and you'll have a blast.

*** out of ****
OasisMan
AG
My kids loved it

I thought it was ok, entertaining, fun

I don't go to the movies to get my political updates. so while the undertones are there, they did not bother me.
AgfromHOU
AG
Seeing it tonight in imax
Tone2002
Sorry but that storyline was all over the place. It was trying to tell waaaayyyy to many stories all at one time.

It was entertaining and visually stimulating so I will give it that.
AgfromHOU
AG
Really good on IMAX.

However, the teenage version of Arthur Curry was just downright awful. Music choices still bad.

Still a good movie, best DCEU movie for sure. I hope there's a sequel.
Wes97
AG
I can get as annoyed as anybody at Hollywood forcing PC down our throats, but it really wasn't that big of a deal in this movie. Many other things to complain about before that.

But hell, I have definitely seen worse movies. If you just take it for what it is, then it wasn't a bad way to waste a couple of hours.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I pretty much agree with your entire post except Wonder Woman being better.
CashMoneyYo
oh look.. [oh look...a poster that will get banned if he calls someone a name on this forum again. Ever. -Staff]

[After reviewing your mod log we have decided that you don't get another chance with this username. -Staff]
Bruce Almighty
AG

[Please just use the voting function. Quoting those posts just makes it more difficult to clean up a thread. Thank you. -Staff]
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
[Now we have cleaned up a bunch of posts asking what happened which was derailing the thread again. Everyone please keep this thread on topic. Thank you. -Staff]
Ag Since 83
AG
Fun movie. The origin at the beginning could have been shortened and there was definitely some cheese, but on the balance it took itself seriously the right amount. Made me think of Thor crossed with Arthurian legend crossed with Davy Jones's locker from POTC

Echo what was previously said on the music choices though. Really bad
canadiaggie
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

Fun movie. The origin at the beginning could have been shortened and there was definitely some cheese, but on the balance it took itself seriously the right amount. Made me think of Thor crossed with Arthurian legend crossed with Davy Jones's locker from POTC

Echo what was previously said on the music choices though. Really bad
I actually laughed when the Pitbull song came on.

Also, mods went HAM above
fig96
AG
Dang, Merry Christmas to y'all.
Post removed:
by user
Cromagnum
AG
This movie was garbage from the studio letterhead to the end credits.
Cromagnum
AG
So the movie starts off with Power Rangers, then gets a little better with some asskicking until he meets the little mermaid. Then it turns into the Goonies until the Power Ranger villain shows up again. Once that's taken care of, we went to Jurassic Park for a little bit, and then we all caught crabs in the final battle.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.