***Aquaman***

55,139 Views | 451 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Not a Bot
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks fun. Not expecting an Oscar contender here.
Jim01
AG
How does DC continue to have such outright horrible CGI? I mean wow. Looks really really bad.
AgMarauder04
AG
It's 100% under water. The improvement from JL is significant.

I swear to christ, this board throws out "horrible CGI" as much as politics throws out "liberalism is a mental disease"
Pepper Brooks
AG
That trailer can't be real. Jesus. I LOLd way too hard at the Zoolander quote.
bearamedic99
AG
In JL, weren't Aquaman's eye icy blue? Now they appear golden. Also, they show a submarine going towards Atlantis. Surely, Aquaman won't be aboard? Why would he need a submarine?
TCTTS
AG
canadiaggie
AG
bearamedic99 said:

In JL, weren't Aquaman's eye icy blue? Now they appear golden. Also, they show a submarine going towards Atlantis. Surely, Aquaman won't be aboard? Why would he need a submarine?

If you're referring to his "car", I assume there are speed limits and traffic in Atlantis and maybe you need a break from being under all that water pressure every now and then

But if you meant the actual sub, I'm pretty sure he's not on it to hitchhike to Atlantis.
jackie childs
TCTTS said:

Forum Troll
AG
bearamedic99 said:

Black Manta is a treasure hunter. Submarine is probably his.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I am getting a strong Justice League vibe from this trailer. It's not encouraging.
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

Straight outta GotG. I like it!
getme
Aquaman and Shazam will end Warner Bros.
canadiaggie
AG
getme said:

Aquaman and Shazam will end Warner Bros.

Yep, Warner Bros. is only DC and nothing else
AliasMan02
AG
They do need a win. WW was huge for them but the DCEU is stagnant and Harry Potter needs to pick up.
jabberwalkie09
AG
AliasMan02 said:

They do need a win. WW was huge for them but the DCEU is stagnant and Harry Potter needs to pick up.

Between Aquaman, Shazam, and WW 1984 I think that at least one of those is going to do very well. The trailers from comic con this year definitely showed a tonal shift away from the dark and dreary that we as an audience normally associated with Gotham to a brighter and less depressing tone IMO.
AliasMan02
AG
I think you're right but I think people are pretty much over Harry Potter, the Godzilla et al franchise will do well but not be a game changer. I doubt George Miller is going to be willing to turn out a Mad Mad movie every other year. The Matrix is long dead.

I'm sure I'm missing some, but the slate is pretty thin so they don't have a huge margin for error.
Sex Panther
AG
So why does this movie have Black Manta in it? Seems like they're wasting an actually cool villain.
**** THE RANGERS

**** GARCIA

ALTUVE IS GOD
jabberwalkie09
AG
AliasMan02 said:

I think you're right but I think people are pretty much over Harry Potter, the Godzilla et al franchise will do well but not be a game changer. I doubt George Miller is going to be willing to turn out a Mad Mad movie every other year. The Matrix is long dead.

I'm sure I'm missing some, but the slate is pretty thin so they don't have a huge margin for error.

I think Marvel has largely done the comic book genre right, and since they got it right from the beginning has really left the DCEU in the dust. People aren't necessarily interested in more super heroes at this point, and I agree that the comic genre probably doesn't have much gas left in the tank but will still make stupid money. I think that's in part due to being flooded with a bunch of movies.

At some point, I think the right play is to start slowing down from three or so movies a year. That's just a bunch of movies to keep up with for a cinematic universe, and we're at a point in the MCU that there's so many characters and events to remember that we need something fresh that new viewers can jump in at.

That was the problem with the Harry Potter franchise since I jumped in about the middle of it and was kind of lost. I enjoyed Fantastic Beasts, and while there's obvious links to the franchise at large, it's been relatively contained to itself so I've been able to get in at the beginning.

I've found that I really enjoy universes that are well constructed and when that's coupled with good story telling. The DCEU has had neither of those IMO. Contrast that to Star Trek (excluding Discovery), most of Star Wars (TLJ excluded), and Stargate to name a few. I could even go back further to Babylon 5, and yes while it may not be fair to compare tv and film, there were a lot of different hands involved in the Star Trek franchise.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Sex Panther said:

So why does this movie have Black Manta in it? Seems like they're wasting an actually cool villain.

Probably to work towards the DCEU's version of the legion of doom. If I had to guess, he will certainly be back for another film.
canadiaggie
AG
Sex Panther said:

If this is the Throne of Atlantis adaptation it looks to be, then [redacted because I don't know how to do spoiler tags on mobile]
bearamedic99
AG
in case you are right, maybe use spoiler tags?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Black Manta looks awesome. Reminds me of Challenge of the Superfriends.

No offense to Patrick Wilson, but he and James Marsden are on my list of "we couldn't get an A-list actor, so we got Patrick Wilson/James Marsden instead".

canadiaggie
AG
bearamedic99 said:

in case you are right, maybe use spoiler tags?

Fixed (sort of)
bearamedic99
AG
thanks
Gigem314
AG
israeliag said:

What am I supposed to do with data like this other than get excited?

Quote:

men riding great white sharks to battle

Do they at least have friggin laser beams attached to their heads?
TCTTS
AG
Here's the massive, five-minute trailer that just released at Comic-Con New York. I'll admit that it's considerably better than the last trailer, but probably still not enough to get me in the theater...

Aggie_Journalist
AG
"I could have just peed on it?"

Groan.

The nicest thing I can say about the trailer is that I liked the design of Black Manta and his henchmen. But this looks pretty terrible.
Thanks and gig'em
Dro07
AG
Damn is this going to be a 3hr movie cuz if not I think we just saw the whole movie
TCTTS
AG
Outside of the story/concept, which is obviously pretty lame in and of itself, the movie literally looks weird. As in, nearly every single frame is so starkly lit and in overly vivid HD, that if not full of CGI gobbledy goop, it all looks like blatant sets or green screen. Not a single shot feels even remotely real or lived in. Not even the stuff on land. I just don't know why someone would purposefully choose this look. There's a way to shoot the exact same sets/"locations" to feel more cinematic and authentic as opposed to this weird, video game/stage production hybrid thing they've got going on.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
All I know is that I went to watch Predator with my sister last week, who is not that big into comic book movies, and she laughed the entire time at the Aquaman trailer. I think it looks cringey bad.
rhutton125
AG
Had some generic stuff but I thought it looked decent. At least from watching on my phone.
bearamedic99
AG
I've really enjoyed Momoa since Stargate Atlantis but I'll pass on paying theater prices to watch it.
AgfromHOU
AG
That was the only line I didn't like, and it could easily be cut out of that scene, but I genuinely enjoyed this 5 minute clip. It's not part of the Snyderverse, which is a huge plus.
AgfromHOU
AG
I would argue that about half of the moans and groans about this trailer are a product of DCEU movies as a whole thus far.
TCTTS
AG
The look is terrible, the dialogue is terrible, and the whole underwater thing just straight up doesn't work for me. I find it all legitimately dumb and not at all aesthetically pleasing outside of the ridiculous concept itself. For me at least, I'm responding to this trailer and this project alone. I wanted this to be good, as evident by my somewhat hopeful posts in the DC thread before we ever saw any footage.

It really bugs me when people generalize and say thinks like, "Well, you just don't like DC/comic book/fantasy movies" or whatever, as if we're incapable of recognizing a turd when we truly see one. This honestly looks to be on par with an expensive SyFy movie, to the point where I wouldn't be at all surprised to see those sharks form a tornado at some point. As bad as they've been, I'll give any DCEU movie a shot until it simply looks unbearable, and unfortunately that's where I am with this one.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.