***Aquaman***

55,140 Views | 451 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Not a Bot
AgfromHOU
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's a two second clip, and is a lot cooler than an oversized ant playing the drums
rhutton125
AG
2018 is the year of CGI animals playing drums.
fig96
AG
AgfromHOU said:

It's a two second clip, and is a lot cooler than an oversized ant playing the drums
Yeah, it's totally ridiculous (like the rest of the film) but also kinda works.

And I think it just hit me as to why I enjoyed it so much. Aquaman is the first DC film that's actually fun.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Crossed $700M and passed Justice League.
Philip J Fry
AG
Laser Wolf said:

Best DC universe movie ever.

And was still full of meh. Half hour too long.
dgrogers88
HoustonAg2106
AG
Laser Wolf said:

In what universe is this movie better than The Dark Knight?
Bruce Almighty
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

Laser Wolf said:

The Nolan Batman movies are not part of the DC movie universe.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Laser Wolf said:

Oh I read it wrong, I thought he was saying it was the best DC movie period.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

YouBet said:

I just read that there is an octopus playing a drum solo in this movie.

Holy ****, are you serious? Lol, yeah been flip flopping on whether to spend money seeing this in the theater... I think you just solved my dilemma and saved me some money.

That was at least the 11th eyeroll and lol moment for me..... and yet I enjoyed the movie.

Funnest dumb movie I've seen in a while. If you go for escapism and just fun you won't be disappointed. If you go expecting a serious or even logical movie you'll be disappointed.

Bruce Almighty
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Laser Wolf said:

Oh I read it wrong, I thought he was saying it was the best DC movie period.

I guess he could be, but I can't imagine anyone liking Aquaman more than Dark Knight.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

Funnest dumb movie I've seen in a while. If you go for escapism and just fun you won't be disappointed. If you go expecting a serious or even logical movie you'll be disappointed.
I'll refrain from being grammar police with this, but your statement points out why way too many seem to be disappointed with movies like this. Focus seems to tend toward the latter bolded statement when it should reside solely with the former.

In a "world" where there are mermen and mermaids (essentially), dudes riding great whites, giant crustaceans, etc, why would anyone consider it out of place to find an octopus playing the drums?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
There was an ant playing the drums in Antman and nobody seemed to mind.
TajMaballer
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

It was awesome in Ant-Man and it was awesome in Aquaman!
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Ok i'll tackle this - as long as you realize I'm still not bagging on the film. It was a dumber moment among many dumb moments. But it was just a "wow" kind of thing and then let it go.....

However regarding issues with the Octopus playing drums:

1. the logistics of drumming underwater just defies logic and physics. getting enough momentum through the resistance of water seems dubious at best. Granted he has 8 tentacles so each could be slower and provide a rapid rhythm combined - but still the slowness of each stroke would also minimize the percussive effect - YES I am a drummer. And as compared to the ant in Antman drumming - that was against air resistance.

2. Yes while there are various creatures in the film the only ones that appear to show intelligence are the human-ish or humanoid species. the other "animals" are purely show as equivalent to domesticated, trained beasts serving the humanoids. Like a horse literally steered and ridden. Others are shown as being directed by Aquaman's non verbal communication with them but only in a swarm/attack type of action. So it didn't establish animal intelligence of the level to play a complex drum rhythm. And back to the ants in antman and wasp they are shown doing all kinds of somewhat intelligent tasks independently.

3. Direct ripoff of Little Mermaid - which did at least spend more time developing the intelligence and independent thought of underwater creatures.

Anyway let's all agree to "Let it go....."

AgfromHOU
AG
It's ok to suspend a little belief in a movie about a hidden underwater society that can scream and yell and move at high speeds while underwater
Presley OBannons Sword
rhutton125 said:

2018 is the year of CGI animals playing drums.

Just because GL missed a big opportunity with the Max Rebo band.

Philip J Fry
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

More proof that Marvel just does it better than DC.
AgfromHOU
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

More proof that Marvel just does it better than DC.

Or that Marvel gets the benefit of the doubt and the beneficial side of a double standard
rhutton125
AG
Haven't seen this, but Ant-Man is 100% silly. The very few earnest moments are quickly interrupted with more silliness.

This movie sounds goofy as hell, but is it that goofy from start to finish? Because it sounds like the drumming octopus took some people by surprise, which I think is the difference.
Ag Since 83
AG
The Ant-Man one was a waste...the mid-credit scene, and they spoiled the punchline in the trailer/TV commercials

At least the octopus was a surprise
canadiaggie
AG
rhutton125 said:

Haven't seen this, but Ant-Man is 100% silly. The very few earnest moments are quickly interrupted with more silliness.

This movie sounds goofy as hell, but is it that goofy from start to finish? Because it sounds like the drumming octopus took some people by surprise, which I think is the difference.

It's super goofy until the third act. The third act is just insane but has a bit more seriousness to it.

That being said I believe it was intentional and it's supposed to model character growth in Arthur from Aquabrodude to Aquaman
thejavelina
I liked Aquaman, but this might have been a better movie:
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Passed Suicide Squad and is now in third place among DCEU movies.

1. BvS - $873M
2. Wonder Woman - $821M
3. Aquaman - $751M

Seeing how its second weekend drop (domestically) was an amazing 22%, it's looking pretty likely it will finish at #1.

I bet it passes 800 by the end of next weekend.

Oh, and Venom did $855M, so it'll pass that as well. Still can't believe that movie overperformed THAT much.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
It's only 6th in domestic - I don't think it gets the same result there.

It's behind everything except Justice League comparing the 2 week numbers. But if it can maintain those legs it might have shot at 2nd. If not then 4th is likely.

Domestic

WW $412M
BvS $330M
SS $325M
MoS $291M
JL $229M
AM $189M

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Interestingly, it's already #1 in International.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Interestingly, it's already #1 in International.
yeah... always very curious to me what plays well internationally vs. domestic.

like Fast and Furious movies do moreso than Star Wars movies.
rhutton125
AG
Big CGI spectacle tends to do well in China. Terminator Genisys, Transformers, Venom, etc. Combine that with a lack of big releases in the month of January and it's going to have some major legs, almost by default.

I guess it's impossible to predict, but surely soft competition is worth more than time of year at this point. I think the summer of 2016 was the year where every week, a new release cannibalized the previous one. Every film opened to big numbers but quickly became an afterthought.

Even in 2017, Spider-Man: Homecoming has a huge debut and then the next week went toe to toe with Planet of the Apes, which greatly affected both films' performance. If it wasn't for a later China release, the story might have been "Homecoming was a box office disappointment."

I'm curious to see if that will be the trend in the future. But it seems like January is just ripe for the taking, and some film that could have crushed it this month will come and go in the blink of an eye in June. Hope it enjoys its one weekend in the sun.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Passed $800M. Guess that 750 figure was before the big holiday numbers for New Years Day.

Yeah, $1B seems inevitable at this point. Would need some drastic drops to miss it.

HUGE win for WB. Hard to believe that this is going to be their first billion dollar movie in the DCEU. Maybe they can repeat with Wonder Woman 1984?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Most impressive stat for me so far...

Foreign BO:
Black Panther - $646M
Venom - $642M
Aquaman - $606M

I don't know what's crazier. The fact that Venom nearly matched BP's foreign total, or that Aquaman is going to eclipse both.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
$30M third weekend domestic.

Passed $900M ww as of this weekend.
YouBet
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Most impressive stat for me so far...

Foreign BO:
Black Panther - $646M
Venom - $642M
Aquaman - $606M

I don't know what's crazier. The fact that Venom nearly matched BP's foreign total, or that Aquaman is going to eclipse both.
I can't believe the Venom numbers. That movie came and went with almost zero fanfare in this country.
AgfromHOU
AG
More than BvS now
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Oh wow, also passed Dark Knight Rises to become the #1 DC movie internationally.

Also, now the highest grossing debut superhero movie internationally.
rhutton125
AG
Something like 73% of the gross is from international.

This weekend, the only release is Escape Room which is expected to open 5th. The top 4 will remain for the third week in a row.

Again I have to wonder, if you had a second-tier blockbuster like a Dark Phoenix, why wouldn't you aim for a soft competitive slate like in September over a summer release where there's a new #1 each week? I guess it just may not be that easy to predict, in the end.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.