***Aquaman***

55,100 Views | 451 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Not a Bot
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Here's where it currently stands amongst the DCEU.

Worldwide:
1. Aquaman - $940M
2. BvS - $873M
3. WW - $821M

Domestic:
1. WW - $412M
2. BvS - $330M
3. SS - $325M
4. MoS - $291M
5. Aquaman - $259M

Domestically, it should have no problem passing Man of Steel, and probably Suicide Squad as well. (Currently outpacing all the others in its 2nd and 3rd weekend, except for Wonder Woman.)

Worldwide is tough to say right now. The money is still pouring in, but there's no telling when it'll fall off the cliff. Don't know if it can quite reach Black Panther ($1.3B), but I think it has a decent shot at passing Incredibles 2 ($1.2B) to finish at #4 for 2018.
TajMaballer
AG
Christmas release when there was no Star Wars movie was the best decision the DCEU has made. I would be shocked if they don't keep a slot every year stating in 2020.

Makes me wonder if Solo was released in December, how that would do.
DTP02
AG
Saw this with the fam yesterday. This was by far the most entertaining DC universe movie IMO. Zach Snyder basically ruined the DC universe with the tone and also execution, so getting away from him was a big help.

It's goofy just on its face, and cartoony, but it's also a lot of fun with some great visuals. Some of the dialogue seems like it could have been lifted straight from a comic book it's so simplistic and on the nose, but, again, it's fun, and the rest of the DC movies had crappy dialogue and were no fun (WW was fun at times, but highly overrated and just not that well done IMO, although it was the mediocre best of a bad bunch).

Mamoa is a great fit for the role and definitely has some charisma. Not a big fan of Amber Heard, though, other than as eye candy. She's B-movie quality.

Fun movie which also served to underscore, if any more was needed, how bad the rest of the DC universe has been.
FTACO97
AG
DTP02 said:

Saw this with the fam yesterday. This was by far the most entertaining DC universe movie IMO. Zach Snyder basically ruined the DC universe with the tone and also execution, so getting away from him was a big help.

It's goofy just on its face, and cartoony, but it's also a lot of fun with some great visuals. Some of the dialogue seems like it could have been lifted straight from a comic book it's so simplistic and on the nose, but, again, it's fun, and the rest of the DC movies had crappy dialogue and were no fun (WW was fun at times, but highly overrated and just not that well done IMO, although it was the mediocre best of a bad bunch).

Mamoa is a great fit for the role and definitely has some charisma. Not a big fan of Amber Heard, though, other than as eye candy. She's B-movie quality.

Fun movie which also served to underscore, if any more was needed, how bad the rest of the DC universe has been.
Would agree with just about all you said other than Wonder Woman as I think it's currently my top DCEU movie with Aquaman right below it.

On the bolded part, that's one of the main things I took away from this film is how it felt just like the comics. I have read some of the newer Aquaman stuff after new 52 and most of the visuals and story of this film could have been ripped right from the pages the past 2 years.
rhutton125
AG
(Edited for a little brevity. Original post was a dissertation)

I saw this for free last night. It was some of the dumbest **** I'd ever seen. But the dumb parts were the best parts, by far, and I don't know if that's intentional. It's easy to say "yes, that's the tone they were going for," but I'm not convinced.

The only James Wan movie I've seen is Furious 7, and I think it's pretty strong. It's also kinda weird. It opens with a strong ~20-minutes where Jason Statham is chasing the gang, and then it takes a sharp left-turn when government agents show up and the movie abruptly becomes about finding Ramsey and stopping God's Eye. There's also some silly **** like Diesel stomping concrete to collapse a parking garage.

So I don't know if James Wan has that self-aware, intentionally hokey style that Sam Raimi's Army of Darkness had, or if he goes too far over the top, intending for something to be cool, and it only gets a pass because the rest of the film is (usually) working.

So, Aquaman. Yes, it's cheesy. But I just don't know when that was intentional. Surely some was - like the drumming octopus - but some of it was probably meant to be cool and came off as super lame, like when Kid Arthur's eyes glow gold at the bullies at the Aquarium.

I thought the humor was bad overall. The banter between Arthur and Mera was very weak. Cookie cutter stuff. Or lines like swamp butt. I laughed 1 or 2 times when I was supposed to, and probably 20+ times when I probably wasn't. So overall the movie was funny, even though almost all the jokes sucked.

Here are some examples of those unintentional laughs. Did they stumble onto a laugh by accident, or was this somehow self-aware brilliance?

- "Where I come from, the ocean wipes your tears away"
- Teen Arthur diving through the air with dolphins. Terrible.
- There are 3 guitar peels in the submarine scene.
- I didn't think Black Manta was very good at all. He seemed to take himself SUPER seriously, but even when he had a joke or two - like the "I'm going to need a bigger helmet" - it was delivered pretty poorly.
- Not to mention, he has a heart-to-heart with his father seconds after stabbing a dude to death.
- When Arthur defeats him in Sicily, Manta hits about 9 rocks on the way down. It's quite funny.
- Three separate instances of "then I will have the title of....... OCEAN MASTER..."
- I also laughed at the idea that TV stations are suddenly covering pirate news.
- During Volko's history lesson, he has some throwaway line about how "we uncovered the secret to unlimited technology" before their ambition caused the fall of Atlantis. Unlimited technology! I know Black Panther had a lot of "just go with it" technology, but that tech was also explained in the opening sequence and is a major part of the movie. But this is just... we discovered unlimited technology.
- The part where Arthur wakes up on the boat, and the tune that's being played is just Mera playing a recorder or something.
- Holy ****, Nicole Kidman's crab costume.
- The moment when Arthur wields the trident and the camera zooms into his eye for a 20-second montage of kelp and whales
- By far the best part of the movie was the crab kingdom. The king has a voice that's straight out of Labyrinth. But all the actors treat it as though it's perfectly fine, there's nothing absurd about this talking crab man.
- Very low-energy speech at the end. I'd heard it said that the actor must have performed it on a green screen, thinking maybe it was for about 5-10 people instead of ~500.

All that, and the octopus playing the drums isn't even in the top 25 dumbest moments in the film. You could convince me that 5, maybe 10 of those are intentional, but I'm not buying that it was 100% planned for comedy.

So I think I'd be disappointed if this was an MCU film, because it was fun in spite of itself. But, personally, it was the most enjoyable DCEU viewing experience by far. I'd rather a movie be so-dumb-it's-fun, like Aquaman, than so-serious-it's-dumb, like BvS.

"Like The Room, if it had incredible cinematography."
Hello there
Jesus Christ.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Hello there said:

Jesus Christ.

My thoughts exactly.
rhutton125
AG
I know... I really word-vomited there. But how else is one supposed to react when a woman shows up in a crab outfit and it's not a joke?!
Tomdoss92
AG
rhutton125 said:

I know... I really word-vomited there. But how else is one supposed to react when a woman shows up in a crab outfit and it's not a joke?!
i didn't read any of that but...

AgfromHOU
AG
Officially crossed the one billion mark, mainly because of China.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2019/01/13/aquaman-tops-the-dark-knight-with-1-billion-box-office/amp/

Not doing that great domestically, but is a hit worldwide
Hello there
Doing pretty well domestically, actually.

It's outpacing Suicide Squad and will probably outgross BvS too ($330M). Should land at a solid #2 in the DCEU.
AgfromHOU
AG
I was comparing its worldwide success to its domestic. I know it's outpacing everything except BvS and Wonder Woman, but it just seems to be more well received worldwide compared to here.
Hello there
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Just passed Man of Steel domestic.
Sex Panther
AG
Spilner is this your new handle?
Hello there
Until the ban is lifted.
Sex Panther
AG
Ha, what did you do? And how long did you get?
Urban Ag
AG
Sex Panther said:

Spilner is this your new handle?
Ha! I knew it.

Spilner WTF did you do to get a ban? You don't seem like the ban hammer type.

In 16 years of posting on this site I think I've only caught the hammer 3 or 4 times.
Hello there
Got a month for making a dy/dx on the GB, based on the "worst job you've ever had?"

Yes, the obvious one.
Urban Ag
AG
I have no idea what that means
Hello there
Passed TDKR to become DC's highest grossing movie of all time.
Noblemen06
AG
Hello there said:

dave94
AG
Hello there said:

That's a travesty. I can't contemplate why this made so much money overseas. Without that, this isn't sniffing the top of the DCEU list.

I had a good time watching this movie, but it was pretty damn vapid. When this hits HBO, sure I'll watch it here and there, just like Justice League. But damn, this isn't one of those movies that we're talking about in 5 years as anything deserving of revisiting.
fig96
AG
dave94 said:

Hello there said:

That's a travesty. I can't contemplate why this made so much money overseas. Without that, this isn't sniffing the top of the DCEU list.

I had a good time watching this movie, but it was pretty damn vapid. When this hits HBO, sure I'll watch it here and there, just like Justice League. But damn, this isn't one of those movies that we're talking about in 5 years as anything deserving of revisiting.
I feel like you haven't paid attention to most of the rest of the DCEU...
rhutton125
AG
It's like if xXx: Return of Xander Cage made more than the Avengers.
dave94
AG
fig96 said:

dave94 said:

Hello there said:

I feel like you haven't paid attention to most of the rest of the DCEU...
Ha, true, I guess I meant the Nolan Batman movies, not so much the actual DCEU.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
dave94 said:

Hello there said:

Well ok tap the brakes - that's Worldwide which I generally never use to measure a movie. WW audiences are bizarre really - just look at the F&F franchise and Transformers for that matter. Or say.....Avatar.

And it has barely passed those WW - given the adjusted ticket price compared to 2008 and 2012 it's probably not surpassed them.

On raw domestic Aquaman is not close to TDK or TDKR

TDK $533M
TDKR $448M
WW $412M
BvS $330M
SS $325M
Aquaman $316M

Hello there
Avatar is the second highest grossing movie of all time domestically.

Not sure what your point is. Money is money.
canadiaggie
AG
Hello there said:

Yeah but Aquaman made its money differently which is bad.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Hello there said:

Money is money from the studio point of view. Sure. From a grading or comparison view I don't trust WW audiences to be a gauge of the quality of a film. In so much as you can judge quality by box office anyway - but I think US domestic box office is a much better comparison.

As for Avatar it may be 2nd all-time domestic but it's not out of the ballpark by comparison to other top 10 movies.

But worldwide Avatar did OVER $2 BILLION which is crazy compared to other movies (most big movies are like around $700M-$1B WW and #2 Titanic was only $1.5B or an entire 33% below Avatar.

Basically I don't judge movie performance as an indicator of good movies or relative to each other using WW box office because WW audiences have proven they are dumb.

Here are the top 20 International box office movies - not including domestic take - bolded movies are why I think using that to compare them is dumb.

1. Avatar 2.0B
2 .Titanic 1.5B
3 Avengers Infinity War 1.3B
4. Furious 7 1.1B
5. SW TFA 1.1B
6. The Fate of the Furious 1.0B
7. Jurassic World 996M
8. HP DH II 960M
9. Avengers Age of Utron 944M
10. The Avengers 894M
11. JW Fallen Kingdom 888M
12. Frozen 871M
13. Transformers Age of Extinction 858M
14. Wolf Warrior 2 855M
15. Minions 824M
16. Iron Man 3 806M
17. Skyfall 806M
18. Pirates of the Carribean On Stranger Tides 804M
19. Aquaman 773M
20. Transformers Dark of the Moon 771M

Avatar is the only one of the bolded movies in the top 30 of all-time domestic movies. but it's just so far up there, while the others should not be in the top 20 of ANY list.

AgfromHOU
AG
But it is, so....

Also, Age of Ultron and Iron Man 3 aren't good movies and aren't bolded. I would argue Aquaman is better than both.
AgfromHOU
AG
Wan being eyed for the sequel, but hopefully with a better script

http://deadline.com/2019/01/aquaman-sequel-james-wan-plan-jason-momoa-dc-warner-bros-1202540137/
TCTTS
AG
AgfromHOU said:

But it is, so....

Also, Age of Ultron and Iron Man 3 aren't good movies and aren't bolded. I would argue Aquaman is better than both.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
AgfromHOU said:

But it is, so....

Age of Ultron and Iron Man 3 are top 30ish domestic BO - that was mostly my issue with the ones bolded. Their foreign BO is out of whack compared t their domestic. Not so much whether they are good movies.

Although on that basis Skyfall should really be bolded too.

fig96
AG
Fair

Aquaman was my favorite of the DCEU films, but definitely not on the overall filmmaking level of Nolan's films (which IMO were really good movies but not great Batman films, but that's a different tangent).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.