GIRLS on HBO...

55,350 Views | 580 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by cone
Token
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
well that was one hell of an intro to this season
FtBendTxAg
AG
Lena Dunham pisses me off sometimes.

That SNL skit was effing hilarious? 24? What the F is wrong with you??
cone
AG
quote:
well that was one hell of an intro to this season

egad amy schumer
cone
AG
Kim Gordon sighting

that was worth the price of admission
cone
AG
the bama bangs are really distracting
marble rye
AG
Oh thank God I have miiiiiissseed this show. I love all the characters except Shoshanna. I would like her to be hit by a car.
cone
AG
listening to this american life in the fetal position?

come on
Jim01
AG
Shoshanna? Jessa needs to get hit by a car, and QUICK!

I really liked the first two episodes back. We'll see where the season takes us.
Sex Panther
AG
Jessa is one of the worst people I have ever seen on a television show.

They're all just terrible, but she takes the cake.
TCTTS
AG
Hypothetical...

HBO does a Game of Thrones season five / Girls season four cross-promotional episode. A sorcerer casts a spell on King Joffrey, sending him to present-day Earth. New York. Jessa happens upon him, takes him in. Episode is the misadventures of the two most insufferable characters in TV history. And just when the audience can't take anymore...

Ray swoops in and kills them both.
cone
AG
quote:
two most insufferable characters in TV history

tap the brakes

Sex Panther
AG
Ray's face(s) in the opening scene when Amy Schumer and Adam's ex were laying into him was priceless.
Jim01
AG
Also I need no further evidence that Ray is absolutely crazy than the fact that he left Shiri Appleby (YES PLEASE!) for Lena Dunham.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Also I need no further evidence that Ray is absolutely crazy than the fact that he left Shiri Appleby (YES PLEASE!) for Lena Dunham.

That's Adam. Ray is Shoshanna's ex, that runs the coffee shop.
cone
AG
were you in a rush this morning?
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Ray's face(s) in the opening scene when Amy Schumer and Adam's ex were laying into him was priceless.

Probably my favorite part of either episode last night.
InternetFan02
AG
Adam is the star of the season so far. I love this character.

I was just annoyed by him in season 1, to the point where I was glad when he appeared to be written off the show completely in early season 2.

But after the episodes where he dated the other girl and had some interactions with Ray he leaped to the top. Fascinating.

Seems like Adam and Ray right now are positioned as the heroic characters while the 4 girls are completely unredeemable and insufferable.
Sex Panther
AG
Never seen a show in it's third season still using the original thread. Kind of interesting.
TCTTS
AG
^ Was going to start one for season two, but people started reverting to this one before I had the chance. So I left well enough alone. Then figured I'd just keep it going for season three. That, and I always underestimate how many people actually end up discussing this show.
ATM9000
AG
quote:
That, and I always underestimate how many people actually end up discussing this show.

And... by discuss the show, you mean come around and declare they are done with it and how awful all of the characters are only to continue watching?
WillieBrownsBratwurstBun
AG
Lena Dunham is the skid mark on the underwear of Hollywood.
cone
AG
she's got bad ink

that's for sure
TCTTS
AG
quote:
And... by discuss the show, you mean come around and declare they are done with it and how awful all of the characters are only to continue watching?
cone
AG
I've fought through much worse television in the vain hope of a payoff.

Plus, a troll on this massive of a scale, in itself, is groundbreaking.
ORAggieFan
quote:
That's my wife and I every week after we watch it. One of these days maybe we actually will quit. We hate the characters. We don't enjoy the show. Yet we watch it.
TCTTS
AG
I think what it is is that we hate the characters, but maybe like seeing them get their comeuppance? I know I was deeply satisfied when Jessa's marriage fell apart and her now-ex was calling her out on all her BS. Same goes for when Ray or Adam calls out any of the girls or makes fun of them. Not that any of the guys are perfect either, obviously, but I'm most entertained when Ray, especially, finds himself in a position of superiority and can't help but speak his mind (basically acting as an audience surrogate).

That, and for all it's controversy and what not, the show really does have its merits. It's funny, beautifully shot, depicts an interesting (if not self-serving) slice of life in New York, and more often than not, features a great soundtrack. This show has introduced me to so many great songs/artists. It's definitely entertaining, just maybe not always in a traditional sense.
cone
AG
the characters are, in general, totally awful

but they are very much real people

[This message has been edited by SuperDave03 (edited 1/16/2014 6:00p).]
TCTTS
cone
AG
of course, I don't think Lena Dunham is some singular genius or especially brave for shining a light on how self-absorbed and completely shallow and abjectly awful our generation really is.

facebook beat her to that punch by about six years.
TCTTS
AG
quote:

Sadly, I think that's why I may "relate" to the show so much. I know far too many people exactly like the ones on this show. I make it a point to try and avoid them, but sometimes it can't be helped. In that way, it very much feels like a show that's accurately chronicling a very specific portion of this generation, for better or worse. And doing so very, very well.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 1/16/2014 7:51p).]
ORAggieFan
quote:
quote:

Sadly, I think that's why I may "relate" to the show so much. I know far too many people exactly like the ones on this show. I make it a point to try and avoid them, but sometimes it can't be helped. In that way, it very much feels like a show that's accurately chronicling a very specific portion of this generation, for better or worse. And doing so very, very well.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 1/16/2014 7:51p).]
And that is why I have a hard time. I know no one like these characters in any way.
Heisenberg
if the characters werent all completely insane and you actually liked them, what kind of show would it be?

only complaint i have is the exhibitionism of the main (and ugliest) character.

ORAggieFan
quote:
if the characters werent all completely insane and you actually liked them, what kind of show would it be?

only complaint i have is the exhibitionism of the main (and ugliest) character.

an enjoyable one?
Heisenberg
not without major plot revision it wouldnt. i guess could you could make it like entourage but with chicks and just have them get stoned everyday and bang out every guy they find while chasing the american dream.

like it or not, there is very little substance to the show other than having repulsive characters with little to no moral fiber and really disturbing idiosyncrasies.
SlimM
AG
HBO should pair Girls with Hello Ladies for an hour of insufferable self-centered (but entertaining) d-bags.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.