GIRLS on HBO...

55,218 Views | 580 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by cone
Duncan Idaho
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Lena seems to be taking weight from Allison Williams, who I think is gorgeous but becoming a twig

I liked this season a lot.

I just wish Williams would get 1/10 as comfortable with her body as lena.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Most of the nudity she does in entirely unnecessary, too.

Ie: In the retreat episode, why do we need to see her take her underwear off before climbing into bed? What possible reason could they have to show us that she sleeps naked? And with her mom in the same room?

Just stupid.

If the other girls got naked half as much as Lena does, the ratings would triple.
Jim01
AG
About 99.9% of nudity in movie/tv is unnecessary to be fair.

Although equally irritating is when people don't do nudity and it effects the product. Like Katherine Hiegl in Knocked Up. No way any man on the planet would sleep with her and not unleash those beasts!!! I understand actresses not wanting to do nudity, but don't show them having sex with their bra on! Shoot them from behind, put the man on top, any number of ways to great illusion of nudity.
Max Power
AG
I'm not done with the season yet, but I love Ray's coffee truck. That picture on the side is perfect, then Hannah ruined it without remorse.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well, Heigl is a c--t, so there's that.
RockInspector
This show has just gotten brutal to watch. For the love of God, tell Lena to keep her clothes on. On one hand, for her own personal well being, I guess that it is good she is so comfortable in her own skin...on the other hand, for my own eyes (and the well being of others)...well, some people probably shouldn't feel THAT comfortable. Ain't nothing pretty about that at all.
20ag07
Who will admit to following this through to the end?

The final season has been pretty strong. When it premiered, the show was a little ahead of its time, and was pretty original for what it was doing. 5 years later, a lot of other shows are doing the good stuff from it even better, so the annoying stuff shines through even harder. I could always overlook most of what pissed people off as entertaining enough shock value, and the final season has brought some decent closure to most stories.

Say what you will about Dunham, but she showed some talent as a writer/director to have done this this well on this scale, with little experience. I can't imagine she'll ever be in anything big/successful as an actress again, so it will be interesting to see if she's able to channel just her talents into running a show for a real actress, or if she keeps trying to make this incarnation of herself a thing.
Al Bula
AG
Terrible finale.

Puke.
20ag07
Should have called it quits last week, which would have been a decent finale.
TCTTS
AG
I don't think I've ever loved a show more in which I hated the core cast as much as I did. That said, Ray and Elijah are two of my all-time favorite TV characters and more than made up for the four girls' shortcomings. Those two were the perfect audience surrogates and basically existed to say aloud what we were all thinking, re: the terribleness of the titular characters. I'm going to miss those guys more than anything. Give either one a spinoff and I'll be the first to tune in.

But yeah, that finale was pretty terrible. I guess I get what they were going for, but that was a tough watch. As already mentioned above, I'll basically consider the penultimate episode to be the "real" finale, and a pretty damn good one at that. Honestly, save for tonight's episode, these past two seasons have been two of the series' best and, all things considered, I'm going to miss this show a lot. I loved the New York/Brooklyn it brought to the screen (just the look and vibe of it more than anything), I loved so many of the ancillary characters/guest stars, the music was phenomenal (this show is responsible for me discovering so many songs/artists), and it gave me plenty of genuine, consistent laughs throughout. It definitely wasn't without its share of controversy and an absurd amount of truly ridiculous nudity, but I have to say, I'm sad to see it go. Definitely curious to see what Dunham/Konner do next.
cone
AG
I will

And I liked the finale

the last Hannah v Loreen scene was fantastic
Jim01
AG
The finale was ok but I was a bit prepared for it. I read an interview somewhere (I think Rolling Stone) where Dunham said that the penultimate episode was the traditional feel good/wrap up story lines finale and that the last episode was something different. She admitted they tried something different so I was prepared for it.

Agree completely that Ray and Elijah were the standouts of the series. I want more of them.

The biggest take away from the finale was how Allison Williams has gone from a knock out smoke show to so overly thin it was hard for me to watch her in those scenes tonight. I mean maybe she is healthy but it's hard to see that transformation and not feel she needs something.
cone
AG
the more i think about it today, the more i really like the way they finished up the story

so it is kinda interesting how people seem to have loathed it

ymmv
Max Power
AG
I'm conflicted about this season. I thought the finale was fine as an episode of the show, I don't think it was fitting at all as the series finale. She did a good job at illustrating how frustrating, and hopeless it feels as a new parent. Wanting to figure it out yourself, but also truly wishing someone could tell you or help you in a way that makes everything better. The interaction with her mother, and the girl she met on the street really tied things together for me.

I'm glad I don't have to watch a single additional minute of Marnie and Desi. I was hopeful there'd be some growth for Marnie this season after the hookup she had last year with her ex last season, but never happened. She'll go down as one of the most loathed characters in tv history for me. I didn't like either of them, and together their synergy of awful was ridiculous. Even in this last episode, Marnie just made everything worse.

I definitely wanted more of Ray and Shoshanna. They are my two favorite characters from the show without question.

When I started watching this show with my wife I was concerned it was going to be a love letter to millennials, but it really wasn't. I'm really impressed with what Dunham put together in this show.
TCTTS
AG
Max Power said:

I thought the finale was fine as an episode of the show, I don't think it was fitting at all as the series finale.

That's a great way to put it. Overall, kind of an annoying but necessary episode with a couple of good scenes that helped thematically tie up some loose ends and bring certain things to a close. Just not very satisfying as series finale, though.
cone
AG
Quote:

but it really wasn't
the whole run was incredibly subversive

loreen was right

hannah finally made a choice where the outcome resulted in her being unable to run away or blame others or heap emotional baggage on the source of her frustration in hopes that it would just go away

all credit to dunham and konner for what i thought was a great episode, but loreen's dialogue in that scene that ended in Hannah peacing out felt like apatow's direct influence

(patriarchy smdh i know right)

the whole episode felt tense. the stakes were raised and hannah's neuroses weren't playing as funny or cute. and i interpreted that as the point of the coda.
Leggo My Elko
AG
Quote:

I'm glad I don't have to watch a single additional minute of Marnie and Desi
While I know what you mean, I started to view Desi as purely comdic character and the guy who plays him is so good.

This seen in rehab had me laughing out the loud. The comedic timing where he drinks the water is brilliant.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Final season overall was pretty good.

That finale sucked though.
Silky Johnston
Series finale was awful. It seemed like the purpose of the episode was for Lena Dunham to show off her lumpy naked body as much as possible one last time. I guess the point was to show that she turned a corner and was going to figure out how to be a functioning adult and take care of a baby. Still, she has come to these "realizations" in past seasons and then just reverted back to sucking at life in the next season.

I will admit that I watched every episode of this series throughout the years. Although, I am not exactly sure why. I guess it was one of those things that I just loved to hate. Or maybe I watched each week in the hope that it would be an episode centered around Ray or Elijah.
Leggo My Elko
AG
I thought the finale was fine. Not awful, not amazing, but a fine way to wrap it up.

After a glance at this whole thread from the beginning, the percentage of posts that ***** about Lena Dunham's naked body amazes me. Do people not understand a naked body on TV that was not meant to be just some eye candy T&A was her point?

Everyone's backlash and anger over it, plays right into why she felt she needed to make that point and continued to throughout the series.
cone
AG
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/19/opinion/a-requiem-for-girls.html?_r=0

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.