GIRLS on HBO...

55,304 Views | 580 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by cone
Inspector Spacetime
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
i have to say, i'm not sure wtf happened in marnie's story. why the hell did charlie take her back?

I wouldn't be so sure that he's taking her back just yet. Felt more like a "I feel like ****ing you right now"/sympathy bang just then. More thinking with his dick than heart.

I could be wrong though.
Joan Wilder
AG
Double post

[This message has been edited by Clarke95 (edited 3/12/2013 9:08a).]
Joan Wilder
AG
I found Patrick Wilson being aroused by Hannah's hobo romper and blathering a stretch.

Adam is just flat out creepy. He's an interesting character, but he skeeves me out. Reminds me of Buffalo Bill. That last scene was beyond uncomfortable to watch.
AGgirl83
AG
These people were pretty awful in the first season, but I thought they would grow up more as the show progressed. Nope, they're much worse this year. I'm going to watch the last episode for this season and see if there is any hope, but there is only so much Hannah I can take.
HtownAg92
AG
I am hoping that the reason for Adam's freak-show was not an intentional sabotage of his great relationship with a great girl because he ran into Hannah and it stirred up old feelings. Having dudes interested in Hannah strains plausibility, but having dudes screw up a great relationship with a seemingly perfect girl because of Hannah is utterly ridiculous. That would be the end of this narcissistic, self-indulgent Lena Dunham fantasy life for me.
Joan Wilder
AG
He's always been a freak show. I don't see what that girl would have seen in him to begin with. Does he even have a job? I don't know...he has always creeped me out and I don't know what even Hannah saw in him, other than that was all she thought she deserved/could get.

For a while I stayed interested because, while many of the characters were kind of awful, the viewpoint was interesting and different. Now everyone is just so awful...
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
i still like Ray

it's sad to me that they even made shosh into kind of a b/tch though...she went from being a ridiculously naive virgin to sleeping around on her boyfriend without much provoking
Beer Baron
AG
http://www.theonion.com/articles/next-episode-of-girls-to-feature-lena-dunham-****t,31661/

Damn filters. The stars in the URL spell out a word for excrement.

[This message has been edited by Beer Baron (edited 3/14/2013 12:11p).]
Elliot P. Campbell
Token
AG
this season was ****ing trash

i dont think i'll be watching any more episodes again
20ag07
I liked that episode, but figured it was enough to push anyone that was even close to the edge off. I background watched the whole season marathon today. The first 4 episodes were as good as almost any comedy on this year but never came close to that level afterward. A little experimenting is fine, but there was too much in a short span- it made it seem like she was more interested in having the show be controversial than be entertaining. The 2nd half was much closer to Louie- but where Louie just does what he wants and it feels genuine, Dunham seems like she just wants controversy buzz.
Losman
AG
I would totally do dirty things to Marnie and make a respectable woman.
TXAGFAN
AG
quote:
I liked that episode, but figured it was enough to push anyone that was even close to the edge off. I background watched the whole season marathon today. The first 4 episodes were as good as almost any comedy on this year but never came close to that level afterward. A little experimenting is fine, but there was too much in a short span- it made it seem like she was more interested in having the show be controversial than be entertaining. The 2nd half was much closer to Louie- but where Louie just does what he wants and it feels genuine, Dunham seems like she just wants controversy buzz.
You watched this season a 2nd time lol? Bizarre.
20ag07
"Background watched"
singer10
AG
I was really hoping that when Adam picked up Hannah he would just throw her out the window.
Token
AG
quote:
I was really hoping that when Adam picked up Hannah he would just throw her out the window.

+1
Jim01
AG
Is it Dunhams mission to make herself the least attractive and likeable character in the history of tv? Good lord.

Colin Quinn is great as always.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
So many people watch this show and come here to ***** about it, yet they still can't turn away and stop watching. You can hate the characters all you want (I do too), but don't act like this show sucks because some of y'all just watched two seasons of it and *****ed all the way. You do realize the show is intending to make you uncomfortable because some of the crap that people may actually go through.. and it's not just Dunham trying to be "controversial," right?

I thought this season was better than the first and even though I loathe most of the female characters most of the time and find it hard to watch certain scenes, this is still a fantastic show and is my second thing to watch on Sundays after Bob's Burgers.

I was a little disappointed that things ended up working out for Marnie in the end of this season, but I guess something happy had to happen for one of them aside from Hannah. I still would rather have found out how Hannah was going to deliver her book/pages in time rather than the somewhat cheesy scene of Adam running to her side, but I guess that was a more crowd-pleasing ending to the season.

OK, can Game of Thrones start back up again now?

[This message has been edited by Inspector Spacetime (edited 3/18/2013 12:00p).]
TCTTS
AG
I'm right there with Inspector Spacetime for the most part. Except, I'm surprised everyone is seemingly missing this... that wasn't meant to be a "happy" ending. The only people who "grew" were Shoshanna and Ray, because they were the only ones who made tough, evolved decisions. Hannah is back with Adam, Marnie is back with Charlie, and Jessa is again traveling, just as she was at the beginning of the series. We're basically back at square one, and that was the intention. The whole point was to show that most of the girls didn't evolve. They each got so close to actually changing and maturing, only to revert back and rest on their laurels at the last minute.

In her conversation with Laird, Hannah finally came to the realization that she had to be the one to take of herself, but then she welcomed back Adam to take care of her instead. Marnie should have moved on as well, but instead retreated to someone who represented her old life, when she had it all together. Those final moments weren't meant to be legitimate "fixes" from the creators of the show. Depiction is not endorsement. Instead, this was Girls' take on The Graduate. Those were mistakes being shown in the final montage, purposely put to a "rousing" romantic score, playing off that whole trope in ironic fashion. The girls got what they want. But what they want isn't what they need, and I thought that was brilliantly depicted.
AGgirl83
AG
Yeah, I agree with everything above, which is why I'm out on season 3. I thought the first few episodes of the season were on par with the first, but the rest of the season was garbage. I was hoping that they were at their low points and we would see some signs of growth in the finale, but it appears and though they will keep being terrible. Honestly, I think I would keep watching the third Season if it was just Sosh and Marnie, but Hannah is ridiculous.
taz997
I'm trying to avoid reading the spoilers but I have a simple question.

Should I watch this show?

I saw a few episodes of season 1 and they were good, but obviously they didn't get me hooked.
Ragnar Danneskjold
Ive watched two episodes. I hate every character and the existence of the writers of this show make me want to join al queda.
Joan Wilder
AG
I dvr'ed the season finale and just had zero interest in watching it. I deleted it without watching- the last few episodes have just completely turned me off, and I am just not interested in what happens to these awful characters. Especially Hannah.
cone
AG
quote:
You do realize the show is intending to make you uncomfortable because some of the crap that people may actually go through

there's no doubt that people are awful. and it isn't a big secret.
ATM9000
AG
The season was really good in that it sort of set the stage for a long run for the show. I mostly agree with this assessment:

quote:
In her conversation with Laird, Hannah finally came to the realization that she had to be the one to take of herself, but then she welcomed back Adam to take care of her instead. Marnie should have moved on as well, but instead retreated to someone who represented her old life, when she had it all together. Those final moments weren't meant to be legitimate "fixes" from the creators of the show. Depiction is not endorsement. Instead, this was Girls' take on The Graduate. Those were mistakes being shown in the final montage, purposely put to a "rousing" romantic score, playing off that whole trope in ironic fashion. The girls got what they want. But what they want isn't what they need, and I thought that was brilliantly depicted.

Only I'd say, wasn't the girls getting everything they wanted sort of the underlying tone on the entire season? Hannah got her book deal (as well as rendezvous with a grown-up man), Shoshanna her cherry popped and a boyfriend out of it, Marnie her upward move in social status, and Jessa got the attention she loves from getting married.

Yet none of them were evolved enough to deal with the imperfections that ultimately come from their respective goals. I thought it depicted the early to mid 20-something plight quite well in that it is easy to dream and want yet at that age, you don't have much foresight with the residuals that come from what you receive.
TCTTS
AG
Excellent point, ATM9000. Good stuff.
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
just got a chance to watch this episode...not totally sure how to feel. if you guys are right and it really is Dunham making some grander statement about 20-somethings, then it's actually pretty genius...but since she's in that time of her own life, it's tough to say. the one thing that makes me lean a bit towards TCTT & co's camp is the scene with hannah and laird, where he is aggressively voicing the thoughts of the viewers. that gives me hope that dunham is more self-aware than we give her credit for.

not sure what to expect from here on in the story. jessa, hannah, marnie, charlie, and adam all seem to be back where they started at from the pilot, but shosh and ray are wildcards right now. shosh is clearly a different person from losing her virginity and from her experience with a deadbeat, while ray is really just hard to read given that he's not in the same age group as the rest of the characters...makes me think he may be out of the series for good, thought i hope not

all in all, i actually did enjoy this episode, and will tune in next season. not sure what keeps bringing me back, but i feel compelled to for some reason
TCTTS
AG
Just a reminder that season three begins tonight with a one-hour premiere (two episodes). Have been hearing it gets off to a pretty good/entertaining start...
ORAggieFan
This show is like a car accident for me. I don't particularly enjoy it yet and I can't look away.
Sex Panther
AG
This SNL skit is awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZwsozPPSqg
Elliot P. Campbell
cone
AG
quote:
Have been hearing it gets off to a pretty good/entertaining start...

hoping this means that Ray turns them all into lampshades
TCTTS
AG
Ray definitely needs his own spin-off.
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
i said i'd tune in for season 3 at the end of last year's season but now i'm finding i have little or no interest

also i don't have cable any more
cone
AG
at this point, i'm convinced that this show is just one giant troll

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.