GIRLS on HBO...

54,965 Views | 580 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by cone
20ag07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
When a series as fresh, raw and original as Girls comes along, there’s something that kicks in after the original blast has faded: worry.
So many series that aspire to greatness are like all of those bands in the history of music who have exactly one great album in them, and it’s a slow slide to mediocrity after that. Happily, there are no such worries for Girls, which kicks off its second season even more assured of itself, able to deftly work strands of hard-earned drama into the free-flowing comedic moments of four postcollege girls trying to find their way in life.
The first four episodes of season two are so ambitious and self-aware -- charting important new swaths of dramatic territory in the lives of the principals -- that it seems like Lena Dunham had written them while riding the same creative wave that spawned the awe-inspiring first season.
quote:
The real growth for Girls in season two isn’t taking the four young women we met and introducing them to a more integrated and less spoiled New York, it’s the natural progression of acknowledging that your tribe -- the people you associate with most closely -- has its faults. Season two does a fantastic job of skewering hipsters and frauds, many of the things that detractors hated about the show. I don’t think Dunham is listening to feedback and responding as much as she is realizing that her rarefied niche of characters is ripe for targeting.
quote:
Girls remains one of television’s greatest shows, one that seeks to document a specific time and place with specific types, done with unflinching honesty and humor earned from pathos and self-awareness. Here’s to one of television’s bravest, most entertaining lenses on a subculture.
http://m.hollywoodreporter.com/review/hbo-lena-dunham-girls-season-408357
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
my guilty pleasure show of 2012. i'll be tuning back in
20ag07
quote:
The drawing card remains Dunham, who’s only grown more confident as both a writer and actress. She’s more aware of what she can get away with having the characters say and do, but there’s even more vulnerability and more bite to her performance, as well as a greater willingness to go for physical comedy.

It takes an enormous amount of talent to make a show about a character this annoying be this watchable, and funny, and touching. Fortunately, Dunham has that kind of talent. “Girls” was one of the best shows on television last year, and based on the first four episodes, it has a good jump on the competition for 2013.
http://m.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/review-girls-still-up-to-bad-behavior-in-season-2
LHIOB
AG
I thought this show sucked...maybe Ill give it another try but give me more VEEP and Ill be happy
Furlock Bones
AG
i liked Girls at times.

agree with the above poster though. give me some more phaucking Veep.
Jim01
AG
Dunham is great but can be annoying. I watched her movie on NetFlix and she is hard to watch because she is so frickin upkept. I kid you not her hair in that film made me turn from the screen at times. nasty!
20ag07
I think Veep runs with Newsroom this summer. They rushed Girls on to fill the schedule hole left when Luck was canceled. Veep and newsroom would seem pretty compatible.
OasisMan
AG
watched the first couple, quite boring
20ag07
You can tell she's being advised by Judd "Do what you want, DGAF what people complain about, in fact if they complain about something anything just shove it down their throat harder" Apatow. Not going to change anyone's mind at all, I dig it though.

Donald Glover is a nice addition, kinda weird to see him dialed back a little from Troy though.

Adam remains the best thing about the show.

Teasing with Marnie nudity then just giving gay exbf butt instead- not cool though.
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
definitely starting out more edgy than the first season did

it's kinda funny that hannah is the one character actually making good decisions - and i agree, it was awesome seeing donald glover in the show, even if he is more subdued than i'm used to

elijah is also really funny
20ag07
quote:
elijah is also really funny
I HATE that actor in every other thing he's ever been in, but he's pretty hilarious here.

"Do you miss your hymen?"

[This message has been edited by 20ag07 (edited 1/13/2013 10:34p).]
Jim01
AG
Dunham cleaning up at the Golden GLobes. She is so damn doughy! Not eveyone has to be skinny, but damn girl, hit a pilates class once in a while.
Furlock Bones
AG
Julia Louis-Dreyfus should never lose to Dunham. JLD in Veep was the best character in any show last year.
ThreatLevel: Midnight
AG
I can watch/tolerate all other parts of this show and even find humor in it occasionally, but I LOATHE dunham's character.

Too bad for me, my gf *****ing loves this show.
TomHaverford
AG
quote:
Julia Louis-Dreyfus should never lose to Dunham. JLD in Veep was the best character in any show last year.
The GG are determined by a group of 80 people. They are hardly indicative of anything. They vote based on buzz- esp in TV. And Veep wasn't very buzzy.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
I hate the GG comedy categories because they lump in those other categories with comedy half-hours, so I was fine with Girls winning for the show itself, but I agree that JLD or someone else should have won over her for the acting.

It doesn't piss me off nearly as much as Big Bang Theory continuing to get nominations for ANYTHING, but whatever.
Furlock Bones
AG
inspector, i'm in total agreement on Big Bang. how the phauck do people even watch that show? not one scene has ever been remotely funny.
Al Bula
AG
quote:
inspector, i'm in total agreement on Big Bang. how the phauck do people even watch that show? not one scene has ever been remotely funny.
Good to know there are others out there that don't find that show the least bit funny. It sucks.
rononeill
I wish this show would DIAF. We watched the first few episodes and I couldn't put my finger on it. Then it struck me: As the father of a forthcoming daughter, it scares the crap out of me that the level of loserness and patheticness of these characters are being normalized and are now critically validated.
Furlock Bones
AG
ron,

i'm not sure that's the way you should view the show. i would view it as a show about 4 girls that have grown up with no responsibility whatsoever then trying to figure it out in their 20's. from a dad perspective, it shows why you shouldn't treat your daughter as a friend. make them accountable early in life.
20ag07
quote:
it scares the crap out of me that the level of loserness and patheticness of these characters are being normalized and are now critically validated.
Not what's happening. It's funny bc they are such idiots.
Al Bula
AG
quote:
Not what's happening. It's funny bc they are such idiots.
I wonder why feminists aren't decrying this show for making females out to be idiots.
singer10
AG
quote:
Teasing with Marnie nudity then just giving gay exbf butt instead- not cool though.

This. WTF was that?
Bunk Moreland
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
I think if you're gonna watch this show, you pretty much have to accept that the only nudity you'll get is old man dick and lena doughy dunham
singer10
AG
quote:
I think if you're gonna watch this show, you pretty much have to accept that the only nudity you'll get is old man dick and lena doughy dunham

This is true but I can still hope for the other three girls.
still tippin
Unfortunately Brian Williams' daughter (Marnie) is never getting naked.
Jim01
AG
Marnie is by far the hottest but sadly I doubt we'll see her stuff. Mamets daughter at least had a thong moment last year.
Al Bula
AG
Nobody wants to see Lena's sad fatty tits.
Topaz
I can't believe how much Allison Williams has improved as an actress. Oh and this straight girl is tired of seeing Lena Dunham naked.
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
quote:
Marnie is by far the hottest

idk man, except for the eyebrows Shosh is near the top for me...marnie still wins though
Inspector Spacetime
AG
Marnie ain't gettin' topless on the show. If they were gonna let it happen, they've had a couple chances already.
Losman
AG
Loved the scene of Marnie fingering herself at the Gallery after she met that Alpha Male Dude. Totally hot
Joan Wilder
AG
I do admire her talent for getting me to watch/like a show in which I find the characters so unlikable and borderline Unredeemable.

And I'm all for women being comfortable in their skins and not starving...but man, bad ink on doughy arms and back is just really unattractive. Looked awful at the GG. What is that ink? looks like she did it with a ballpoint pen.

I think A Williams is beautiful. (And I'm a chick)

[This message has been edited by Clarke95 (edited 1/14/2013 10:48p).]
Bunk Moreland
I may be wrong, but I could have sworn Marnie showed a nipple last night at the beginning of her rendezvous with the queer. However, they did go to great lengths that entire scene to keep it a tease. *******s.

[This message has been edited by Bunk Moreland (edited 1/14/2013 10:57p).]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.