GIRLS on HBO...

55,335 Views | 580 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by cone
Jim01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agree it was hard to believe Wilson would go for her other than the low hanging fruit falling into his lap aspect of it.

Her outfits are horrid.

Probably the worst episode so far.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
I like some of the other characters too much to have really enjoyed this one the way Dunham wanted people to, but I get that she was doing a bottle episode that shows Hannah turning slightly more adult and "growing" a little bit. The part with the second time they have sex where she makes him finish her first, the way she cleaned up and took the trash out, etc were all things she wouldn't have done before.

She basically let guys use her and do whatever in bed up till this point. Flash back to her ass up on the couch in the first episode trying to get out of her clothes so Adam could **** her.

I'm with y'all that this was far from my favorite episode though. In fact, last week's might have been the best one IMO. Maybe it's because someone finally told Jessa how much of a flighty, shallow hipster she is-- and did it well.
TCTTS
AG
Inspector Spacetime is right on the money. My thoughts, exactly.
agfromlbk
AG
quote:
Is this your first season watching the show?

No, I've seen every single episode. I guess I just don't remember being subjected to it so much during the 1st season. It seems like she has gotten more brazen about her nudity this season and its really obnoxious. I agree with you though that this was probably my least favorite episode so far while last week was probably one of my favorite episodes.
Joan Wilder
AG
Self indulgent. I mean..good for lena Dunham for writing a scene where she gets to nail Patrick Wilson but that was TOTALLY unbelievable. No 42 year old man that looks like that with that brown stone is deliberately spending time with her...and not just because of the way she looks. I find her just unlikable.

I am all for women of all sizes feeling confident in their bodies, but oof her doughy body, which she deliberately dresses in hideous unflattering clothes is..not my favorite thing. She seems to be going out of her way to make her self unattractive.

I am much more interested in Marnie and Shoshanna's characters.
TXAGFAN
AG
quote:
I am all for women of all sizes feeling confident in their bodies, but oof her doughy body, which she deliberately dresses in hideous unflattering clothes is..not my favorite thing. She seems to be going out of her way to make her self unattractive.
Totally agree. She must have picked her wedgie 10x on this episode. WTF...is it cool for this weird subculture of artsy fartsy folks to have butt wedgies?
Joan Wilder
AG
Is it a thing for millennials to wear rompers? Good grief she had front and back wedgies! And she's picking colors that wash her out.

Just the whole self indulgent confessional combined with zero interest in his statements just makes me loathe her. It's a weird thing to watch a show where you loathe most of the characters.
Madmarttigan
AG
Maybe I've come in a bad time but my fiance has made me watched the last 2 episodes with her and I hope the show is cancelled so I am not forced to sit through it anymore. Is this show supposed to be funny? or have I just watched 2 bad episodes...
ORAggieFan
I actually liked it, at least as far as this show goes. I still kind of hate it as a whole but can't look away. I do miss having some of the other characters, but thought it was interesting enough. My wife and I couldn't get over that hideous outfit though
Jacques
I don't watch the show, but some of the reviews of the most recent episode have come up on blogs I read. Apparently it was just one of the most self-indulgent things anyone in Hollywood has ever done. Just some less than average chick writing herself into incredibly improbable nude love scenes.
InternetFan02
AG
Yeah pretty much the most self-indulgent episode ever. Note to self: if I ever get my own critically acclaimed TV show I need to waste at least one episode having non-stop gratuitous sex with Sofia Vergara followed by crying in bed. Just because I can.
20ag07
I didn't like the episode, but most self indulgent thing ever in Hollywood? C'mon. Men are in sex scenes with improbable women all the time. Waaaaaay more often than the other way around.
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
i didn't even think the sex scenes were that bad, it was more the fact that last episode had set up strong story arcs for all the girls EXCEPT hannah, and then instead of following up on this she does an entire episode starring herself, nude most of the time, in some attempt to show her "growth" (which wasn't conveyed much at all to me, tbh)

i want moar shosh, marnie, and yes, even jessa!
Joan Wilder
AG
My skepticism at his being with her had less to do with her appearance, and more to do with the improbability that a hot, successful man would be able to get it up after she started talking. Her self-absorbed over-articulated millenial narcissism is just loathsome. Throw in the romper with the wedgies...yuck.

I find this show interesting, but again, I don't particularly like any of the characters or relate to them at all (but then I'm a woman 20 years older).
TXAGFAN
AG
quote:
I didn't like the episode, but most self indulgent thing ever in Hollywood? C'mon. Men are in sex scenes with improbable women all the time. Waaaaaay more often than the other way around.
Did they write script and dress like a hobo? Doubtful.
TomHaverford
AG
lol...Patrick Wilson's real life wife. Not skinny.

TXAGFAN
AG
Also...not wearing flesh tone too small hobo clothes.
InternetFan02
AG
Lol at Patrick Wilson's choice of wife. Maybe Lena Dunham trolled everyone?
quote:
For apples to apples I need examples of men that wrote/directed/starred in their own work. Best example I can think of is The Brown Bunny, and that killed Vincent Gallo's critical acclaim.

But I do love this show. If nothing else it's fascinating from the Klosterman/Entourage viewing perspective - it's like an infomercial on modern day Brokklyn

[This message has been edited by Internetfan02 (edited 2/14/2013 7:54a).]
20ag07
quote:
For apples to apples I need examples of men that wrote/directed/starred in their own work. Best example I can think of is The Brown Bunny, and that killed Vincent Gallo's critical acclaim.
The Room- Tommy Wiseau.
Furlock Bones
AG
Adam Sandler while not necessarily the director does this by producing, writing and starring in complete sheet every year.

see Jack and Jill
Joan Wilder
AG
Woody Allen made a career of it.

Again, I can suspend the disbelief of Patrick Wilson banging a not-great looking chick, though too-small flesh-toned hobo clothes make that difficult. It's her PERSONALITY that, to me, made that so unbelievable. I just can't see a guy being able to get it up when you combine her narcissistic blathering WITH the packaging.
Tim McCarver
I found some much better looking pics of Patrick Wilson's wife on IMDB. That must have been after a kid or something.
Jacques
quote:
Woody Allen made a career of it.

He was also pretty consistently rated by women as one of the sexiest men in a America for a while there.

Now, part of the reason was because he was Woody Allen...but the guy did score some attractive women.

re: Patrick Wilson's wife....2 kids. And she might be pregnant in that pic. this is her:

Jacques
I think the bigger issue is that all I hear from people is that they don't like her character. And she always looks like she just rolled out of bed, is tatted up, and doesn't appear to take care of herself.

Every man's fantasy, I guess.

The thing is, when you're young, fat and dress shabbily, you're not a fantasy for an older man. At that point, pretty much every guy would rather nail someone his own age that's put together well.
AggieRugger04
AG
understand where she was going with it. still didn't enjoy it that much.

his type would do her type, especially in a spur of the moment situation where she showed up on the doorstep and looked like easy meat. the part that seemed fantastic to me was when he asked her to stick around.

bash me all you want, but that's how I see it. I'm all for lena dunham being proud of what she has, but discretion is often the better part of valor.

overall I like the show and thought LAST week's episode was the best so far.
stonana
AG
Didn't really like season 1 except the rave and the last episode. This season has been pretty good. This one seemed like a big mistake. If I were the rest of the actors, this one would make me realize lena thinks its all about her...
TCTTS
AG
quote:
If I were the rest of the actors, this one would make me realize lena thinks its all about her...

This was a bottle episode. Nearly every show has one nearly every season. It's an episode where only one or two main characters appear, and it's usually at single location for the majority of the runtime. Shows do this to save money. They can keep the story going forward for the main character, without having to pay the other actors (who all have smaller episode orders on their contracts), they save money on locations, etc. Say what you will about the content of the episode itself, but it wasn't a case of Lena being selfish or anything like that. It's standard practice.
ORAggieFan
Yep, it's normal to do. See "Fly" from Breaking Bad as another example.
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
Damn, great rebound from last week. Awesome writing in this one

Really rooting for ray
Inspector Spacetime
AG
Yeah, that was a great episode.

Maybe I've been scorned by too many pretty girls in the last couple years, but I love any episode where vain, immature girls like Marnie (and shallow hipsters like Jessa) are getting what they deserve. It was also the first episode where I've liked Booth Jonathan. I still hate that ****ing name, but I get the sense that it's a pretty accurate representation of someone like him in the NYC art world. Not that I have any idea about any of that.

Adam continues to be great whenever he gets on screen. I think he's best when used sparingly and kind of hope we don't see him again for another couple episodes. Ray is easily my favorite character of this season so far. The scenes with both of those guys this episode were awesome.

Damn, Marnie was ****ing fine in this episode though

[This message has been edited by Inspector Spacetime (edited 2/17/2013 11:54p).]
HtownAg92
AG
What a surprise one of the best episodes in the series focused on Ray and Adam, and not any of the girls.
boy09
AG
Adam is still awesome. I lost it every time they showed the dog with the "homemade muzzle".
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
Something about how adam delivers his lines is just gold

[This message has been edited by Elliot P. Campbell (edited 2/18/2013 2:52p).]
Tim McCarver
Great, great episode. More Adam and Ray please.

Also more Marnie in her underwear (since she won't get naked and we have to look at disgusting ass Lena Dunham all the time). And more Marnie and Jessa getting what they deserve.
InternetFan02
AG
The great part about watching Adam this season is that we have NO idea how crazily he's going to react to something. As Ray was escalating things with him on the street, ALL options were on the table for insanity. It was very tense and rewarding.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.