*****Marvels Agents of SHIELD*****

74,047 Views | 769 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Trident 88
Sea Pony 07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not connvinced he is a LMD either. I think that he was actually in Vahalla and magic brought him back.
Ganondorf
AG
That is certainly a possibility (about Asgard). He could still be a shapeshifting alien too.

I think the long term villain will still be AIM and all the robotics work is definitely heading that direction.

Spoiler for anyone who might actually play the IM3 game.

quote:
In the Iron Man 3 game, Aldrich Killian's subconscious is downloaded by AIM to become M.O.D.O.K. after his death in the film. After Iron Man defeated him in combat, he attempted to survive by uploading his consciousness into the network of Stark Industries but Iron Man willingly sacrifices the network (and Stark Industries itself), destroying Killian for good.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
I don't think it is anything like the robotic type stuff everyone is talking about. She would have seen that and said something immediately. It is something about his attitude, so he must still be, at least physically, normal.

She did say something the first chance she got when they finished the mission.
Saxsoon
AG
I think it would have been more of a hint than, what happened him? It seemed to hint at personality rather than physical.
texasaggie04
AG
quote:
I thought the ep was ok. Certainly useful to set up a bigger villain in the long run, which was important, I think.

Maybe this is what they're intending to do, but I feel like every episode has been this way.

First there was the doctor lady with the centipede, then the gravity guy, now the computer eyeball person. They keep setting up villains and then putting them to the side.

Maybe this is normal and I just haven't watch a tv series in way too long.
Saxsoon
AG
They aren't setting up villains, they are setting up A villain. These are all related.
Melin88
We're enjoying the series so far, but I don't have a vast knowledge of the Marvel world. Maybe that helps me take it on face value as entertainment. I'm not bothered by the minutia of how it all fits, I guess. Not an earth-shattering, "must not miss it" kind of show, but entertaining.
Ganondorf
AG
Agreed on setting up a single villain, these are all the small fish.
MooreTrucker
AG
Agreed. Remember, the eye girl was being controlled by the fat guy who was being controlled by someone else unknown. Doctor lady with the centipede was being funded by someone unknown. I missed the one with the gravity guy.
tylhair
AG
Joss Whedon got pretty good on the later seasons of Buffy/Angel at making you think the "Big Bad" for the season was going to be one guy or group or whatever and then at about the mid-way point in the season he would reveal the real villian. In Joss I trust.
T Bow
thought this episode was a bit edgier this week
Saxsoon
AG
It comes out tomorrow doesn't it?
T Bow
Sorry shoulda been more clear. Just now got to watch last weeks episode.
KidDoc
AG
I liked the eye episode. I thought it was a pretty clever idea and also having the guy controlling her just being another puppet was a great idea as well.

Enjoyable show I think it may make 2 seasons.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Gradin
AG
I enjoyed tonight's episode. I like how they are showing the main villain organization, now called apparently "Centipede", of the series.

I liked the Scourch guy. The series is getting more interesting each episode.
Ganondorf
AG
Enjoyed the show as well, but I've liked it from the start.

The main villain organization is slowly getting revealed.
Sea Pony 07
AG
I liked this episode much better than last week.
T Bow
Any clue on who the guy at the end was?
T Bow
or who "The Clairvoyant" is?
FL_Ag1998
AG
As noted before, this show definitely has some Whedon-esque traits. However, right now I'd say it's still "Whedon Lite".

Compare it to Firefly (hell, both shows have a diverse group of characters stuck together flying around in an aircraft). What S.H.I.E.L.D. lacks in comparison though is a) development of the characters, and b) quality of acting. Firefly was as much a character study of the various passengers on the ship as it was a story about keeping River from the authorities. And the actors were all fantastic in those roles.

Now, the actors on S.H.I.E.L.D. may end up being just as good, but they aren't being given the chance IMO, because these characters aren't being given the same full development as the characters on Firefly were. I guess you could say they slowly are, but it's very slow IMO. They are still very much flat, cliche stereotypes due to the story focusing too much on the overarching Bad Guy storyline.

I know that kind of runs counter to what many on here seem to want. But I really do think this show would be better served "slowing it down" a little and fleshing out the main characters more - after all we're supposed to be rooting for them, so give us a reason to other than just "they're the good guys".
Ganondorf
AG
I'll agree. The show could use a 'how they got here' type episode where they show each character's background a bit.
redline248
AG
I think we are all up to speed on Coulson's background, minus the trip to Tahiti. We now know what is driving Sky. So sure let's find out more about the other 4.

On a story note, looks like the show is not ready to drop extremis yet.
SlimM
AG
quote:
However, right now I'd say it's still "Whedon Lite".

I agree, and I think it's because his brother and sister-in-law are actually running the show.

Aggie_Journalist
AG
Agreed on the depth of the characters. In Firefly, the only cookie cutter character was Jaime, a stereotypical dumb fighter. In Agents of Shield, the scientists and the main male agent (whose name I can't remember) are all flat as cardboard. Coulson is a pretty interesting character, as is Skye, but the Cavalry is pretty boring too.

Another big difference is in Firefly the enemies were much better defined. The threat of the government and the Reavers was constant, and the government as a whole was practically a character in its own right with its various agents and generals representing its various faces.

I think Agents of Shield will benefit from a more clearly defined threat as that threat emerges.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Good point on the lack of a definable threat at this point.
hunter2012
AG
Even though his character was basic, Jayne's story line was unique because he was looking to bounty River. The constant threat of betrayal made him dynamic.

[This message has been edited by hunter2012 (edited 10/23/2013 5:47p).]
tylhair
AG
Do you guys mean Jayne?
hunter2012
AG
fixed, I guess I need to see it again...
agmatt06
AG
One interesting thing to consider is that they have to build this story in the context of the many movies that are also being also produced.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
quote:
Do you guys mean Jayne?

Hah, yeah. Been a while since I watched, too.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Hm, the Thor sequel comes out in the middle of Agents of Shield's season. I wonder if the show will react to it in any way (kind of treating the marvel timeline as live, day by day) or not.

It will feel weird if I watch Thor then turn on Agents of Shield and they don't make any mention of it.
Whos Juan
AG
I think most of the Thor sequel doesn't even take place on Earth, so it'd make sense that they don't reference it in the show.
redline248
AG
They might mention Natalie Portman's character missing or something.
Ganondorf
AG
Incorporating some bit of Marvel lore as the movies come out would be a great edition.
The Lone Stranger
I agree with the observation about a weakness in the show is the lack of character development/evolution, especially when compared to a great show like Firefly.

If they don't allow the characters to grow/interact/backstory/etc., then they will fall back on special effects and explosions to keep the show alive. Those alone will simply not do the job.

This show has incredible potential; it depends to a great degree on the writing in relation to characterization.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.