*****Marvels Agents of SHIELD*****

74,039 Views | 769 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Trident 88
BillOnCapitolHill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I would bet Joss Whedon is loving this shutdown.

[This message has been edited by BillOnCapitolHill (edited 10/1/2013 2:36p).]
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
You think the government in the Marvel universe shuts down because of the expensive Shield budget?

They own the patent on blu ray. They're cool.
wangus12
AG
Thought it was good. I think it'll probably go along the lines of Arrow and play with minor characters from the Marvels Universe.

And by God is the girl who plays Skye a looker.
T Bow
Tonights episode wasn't that good, but...

**************Spoilers*****************

Nick Fury's appearance at the end was really cool.

end

[This message has been edited by T Bow (edited 10/1/2013 10:15p).]
Ganondorf
AG
I liked the episode, though formulaic at times.
Stupe
S
It's pretty cheesy, but I'll watch it.
I'm sure that I'll get blasted for this, but I wish that these kinds of shows didn't feel like they always have to have a sexual angel.
91_Aggie
AG
I'm with you stupe. My daughter really likes agent coulson from the Avengers movie, but I'm not comfotable letting her watch this show based on the first two episodes.

However I know they are targeting the 18-49 male demographic so a family superhero show just ain't gonna accomplish that.
Gradin
AG
I liked it
Stupe
S
quote:
My daughter really likes agent coulson from the Avengers movie, but I'm not comfotable letting her watch this show based on the first two episodes.

That's exactly it. My son is really into The Avengers, Spider Man...Marvel Comics in general. Without the "look at my breasts" and "you guys did it" scenes, I really wouldn't mind him watching it. I just don't feel comfortable with it. What's irritating is that it ads NOTHING to the storylines...it's just there to be there.
chipotle
terrible...nearly pulling the trigger on deleting from dvr
Ganondorf
AG
Give it time Chipotle.
FL_Ag1998
AG
It has enough of the Whedon feel to the dialogue that I'll stay tuned, even if the plots aren't up to the usual Whedon standard. But yeah, it needs to decide - be a kids show, or an adult show.

If they want adults only, go darker and less cheesy. If they want something parents can watch with their kids, then get rid of the random adult language and dialogue. And I would have no problem if they went that route. Not every show needs to be Breaking Bad; there needs to be shows that parents can watch with their kids, and one would think that a show based on comic books would be perfect for that.
chipotle
quote:
Give it time Chipotle.

I'm giving it 2 more tries then after that I'm going back to some better adult themed contact like my Twilight DVD collection.
Ganondorf
AG
I figured you for Harry Potter fanfic but Twilight seems about right.
BryanAggie2013
AG
What all movies do I need to have seen to understand this show? Might try it out soon. Haven't seen avengers yet.. Have seen the iron man movies, Thor, etc...
chipotle
harry potter is of the devil
Ganondorf
AG
Really you could just chain watch all of them and then start the show. Bare bones then see the Avengers as they reference activities there and recently they just mentioned Thor for about 1 minute.

[This message has been edited by Ganondorf (edited 10/2/2013 10:06a).]
Quantum ace
AG
quote:
I found myself wondering when we might get a cameo from Fury. They could maybe pull off Banner without Hulk (Ruffalo isn't quite the hot stuff as the rest of the Avengers actors right now).

If Robert Downey Jr has time to hang out at the hipster troll carwash, I don't see any logical reason they can't get a cameo from him.
ccaggie05
AG
Overnight prelim ratings are in. Looks like Agents of SHIELD got a 3.1 demo and 8.4 million total viewers compared to a 4.7 and over 12 million last week.

That's an awful drop. We'll see where ratings settle in over the next few episodes, but this isn't a good sign for the long term prospects of this show.
BillOnCapitolHill
I think more people where expecting an action show. Instead they got a weird cross between CSI and the WB frog.

So...I think its clear that JW has made a mistake: story telling. He wants 10 episodes to reveal things. We have two character mysteries analogous to River Tam: Coulson and Asian-Cavalry. Coulson may be an android, Asian may be superhero who has renounced violence (so far so good). The overall problem is people like the Marvel films because of violence and supernatural. Thus far they have gotten a burning building, a gun standoff, a rebel AK attack, and a shootout (albeit on a plane). The latter three have been done to death. If this is the extent of the action of the show, no one will watch, these actors arent good enough to get people emotionally invested in them, the seriousness of the danger isnt hitting home. Basically we are watching bureaucrats running around collective samples and occasionally getting into gunfire.
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
What's irritating is that it ads NOTHING to the storylines...it's just there to be there.

Some movies add stuff like this solely to get the PG-13 or R rating that sells better than G.
Stupe
S
Your post ties into this post

quote:
If they want adults only, go darker and less cheesy. If they want something parents can watch with their kids, then get rid of the random adult language and dialogue

Pick an audience and go with it.

My entirely unscientific guess is that the drop in the ratings is due to:

- People that wanted more BLAM and superhero stuff
- Families that don't mind the cheese if they can watch it with their 8+ year old kids without feeling uncomfortable
- People that either don't care or like the sexual innuendo

I think this series has a shot to be a fun series, just pick an audience and play to them.

[This message has been edited by Stupe (edited 10/2/2013 5:25p).]
redline248
AG
First episode was introduction, assemble the team
Second episode is the team learning to be a team

Now they can get into more good story stuff, although Bill makes a good point. We really have 3 character mysteries though. Skye is a complete unknown and possibly going to double cross the team down the road.

Is it really only going to be 10 episodes?
BillOnCapitolHill
I didnt put Skye in the "mysterious character" because she is an ideologue that has an ideological motive. "What is Rising Tide" is a similar plot to Alphas' "Red Flag." Starts off as a whisper then develops into a helluvan organization. But considering she is a "good guy" and not a villain, Rising Tide wont be too evil.

I think it will be on longer than 10 episodes, just saying he is gonna push the explanation of Coulson and Cavalry toward the end of the first season. Like River in ep8-9 kicking ass.
redline248
AG
I see what you're saying.
jeffk
AG
Got caught up. Cheesy but has a vibe that reminds me a lot of Chuck... which I really did like for the first three seasons.
SRCag18
AG
quote:
Looks like Agents of SHIELD got a 3.1 demo and 8.4 million total viewers compared to a 4.7 and over 12 million last week.

That's an awful drop.

I honestly expected this... There had to be so many people who thought Iron Man, Thor, Black Widow, etc. and their respective actor would be starring who didn't watch the second ep after no appearances in the first.

Are they stupid for believing that? Yes. But when I first found out about the show and its premise this was my very first thought, "a lot of people are going to be disappointed."
dcaggie04
AG
I think the ratings for this show would be better on another night. Say like friday. ABC would easily win that night and would probably average 10+ mil views . For the Tuesday 7pm spot, they are going against The Voice and NCIS. Best I would hope for at that timeslot is about what they got this week.
SlimM
AG
I must watch some extremely adult shows, because I didn't even notice the sexual innuendo you guys are talking about!
91_Aggie
AG
When you have kids and you are watching it with the idea that you might want to watch it with them, then you notice things that you wouldn't have given a second thought before you had kids
Ganondorf
AG
The show will turn out more like CSI than Iron Man. I expect most kids to be bored of it quick.
MSCAg
AG
I'll give it a couple more episodes, but I don't see this lasting a season unless it gets a lot better.
SF2004
AG
On my DVR but haven't watched.

I don't think this will make it, people go see Marvel stuff for the super heroes. This is based off a sub group in the Marvel Universe, yes they had their own comic but it wasn't as popular.

This probably doesn't make it.

They should have just made a live action avengers series or something. The cartoon does pretty well.
SteveA
AG
Yeah, the gun play and violence is ok, but some one mentioning "doing it" and it's not kid friendly. That's funny.
FarmerJohn
AG
After the first episode we realized that the acting is low grade. After the second episode, we realize that the writing is low grade. Was I the only one that pretty much realized the way the rest of the episode would go once they got on the plane? I mean, who could possibly predict that a bunch of of guys in fatigues in the jungle whom no one knows yet get invited onto the secret "base plane" soley on the basis that the two leaders were an item once might possibly cause problems. Also, I get that it is his "uniform", but a suit in the middle of the jungle?

This feels like Knight Rider or Air Wolf, only without the charisma of a Hasselhoff or even Ernest Borgnine. That's not good. I'm most likely out on this show, though it might get another viewing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.