*****Marvels Agents of SHIELD*****

74,040 Views | 769 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Trident 88
eskimo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
May is much higher on my badassometer. I mean she was thankful for getting a knife in her shoulder so she could use it to murder some fools. That's like a 9.9 on the badass Richter scale, and that's just science bro.

Besides, ward is a pretty boy with soft hands.
israeliag
AG
Its the acting, not so much their characters. Ming-Na just doesn't pull it off in my eyes. Every time she's on the air takes me out of the story to an extent. Brett Dalton does a more convincing job as a badass.

I have no doubts that if the May and Ward were to square off in a fight, the writers would have May win, but I would be left felt cheated.

Anyway - I'm watching Winter Soldier this Sunday and am starting to get worried that my expectations are getting raised a little high since it's getting good reviews.
R0GUE
AG
I feel exactly the opposite. To each their own I guess. Don;t know how you can't like Mulan!!
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Its the acting, not so much their characters. Ming-Na just doesn't pull it off in my eyes. Every time she's on the air takes me out of the story to an extent. Brett Dalton does a more convincing job as a badass.

I have no doubts that if the May and Ward were to square off in a fight, the writers would have May win, but I would be left felt cheated.

More or less this is how I feel as well.For some reason I just haven't latched onto and started caring about May like I have the other characters, even Ward who feels like a generic muscle/professional ass kicker. Maybe it's because of the relationship he has developed with Skye, who knows.

Her character in SGU also didn't win me over either.
Vander
AG
quote:
Hmmm, not sure what she's supposed to do to "appear" more badass. She lays the smack down on bad guys on a pretty regular basis. Last episode she dove out of the way of a rocket launcher. Is it that she doesn't have as many fight scenes as Ward? I mean it kind of makes sense, Ward's younger he can take the beating. Meanwhile May has the Skye incident where she has told Coulson she'd prefer not to be in the field so why would Coulson force her. I feel like May is sent out to kick ass only when Ward isn't enough by himself, but when she does go out there she's plenty capable.

Edit: http://youtu.be/OF7MVulGtoI
a compilation of Melinda May's highlights. Seems plenty badass to me.

[This message has been edited by R0GUE (edited 4/3/2014 7:25p).]

May comes across as an idiot a lot of the time. Why in the flying **** is she going in unarmed against Deathlok, who could literally rip her arms off with his hands? Ward is by far the better agent because of this. May has flown by the seat of her pants and has been extremely lucky not to die because she wasn't properly outfitted for the job. Ward understands that he's a soldier and acts like a soldier. May acts like Leroy Jenkins half the time and is not shot solely because of author fiat. In real life, she's basically a useless agent and would already be dead.

It doesn't help that her character is so damn wooden in comparison to everyone else. She's the only character who hasn't experienced much growth and is still basically identical to how she was at the beginning of the season.
Saxsoon
AG
Shield is going to be interesting next week with the revelations in winter soldier
Gradin
AG
Definitely interested to see where this series goes.

***spoilers***

Seriously, Shield appears to be dissolved now.
israeliag
AG
quote:
May acts like Leroy Jenkins half the time and is not shot solely because of author fiat. In real life, she's basically a useless agent and would already be dead.
R0GUE
AG
quote:
May comes across as an idiot a lot of the time. Why in the flying **** is she going in unarmed against Deathlok, who could literally rip her arms off with his hands?

Where the hell are you getting this? Acts like an idiot? Name once! She didn't go in unarmed against Deathlok. She went in with Blake to investigate a name that might be the clairvoyant, and Deathlok showed up. She WAS armed, the same as Blake, fired off a few shots and had to dive out of the way of a rocket being launched her way.

quote:
Ward is by far the better agent because of this. May has flown by the seat of her pants and has been extremely lucky not to die because she wasn't properly outfitted for the job. Ward understands that he's a soldier and acts like a soldier. May acts like Leroy Jenkins half the time and is not shot solely because of author fiat. In real life, she's basically a useless agent and would already be dead.

Again, I would REALLY like a GOOD example of this. I cannot think of a single time she rushed in half cocked. Usually, she's the clean-up crew. She comes in after Ward, once the **** hits the fan. And usually its her and Coulson together. Ie. the time they went up against the pyrokinetic.

In fact I have the sneaky suspicion you might be confusing May with Skye. Skye goes in half cocked. Skye disobeys orders and pulls Leroy Jenkins. Not May.

quote:
It doesn't help that her character is so damn wooden in comparison to everyone else. She's the only character who hasn't experienced much growth and is still basically identical to how she was at the beginning of the season.

Oh, you mean like the time she initiated sex with Ward? Or how about the time she flew into a murderous rage at Quinn because she too JUST LIKE WARD has grown attached to Skye. This isn't character development? Or how about the fact when she first joined the team she only wanted to be the pilot, she didn't want anything to do with combat, but now she suits up and goes into the field regularly.

If you hate the actor, there's nothing I can do. Just admit that though, instead of making up bull****.
Red Five
AG
Thanks for your thoughts, Ms. Wen.
Sex Panther
AG
Sh*t's getting real on the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. thread
Cibalo
I wish May showed as much passion as ROGUE just did.

[This message has been edited by Cibalo (edited 4/4/2014 1:05p).]
RandomAg09
I skimmed the posts to avoid spoilers, so I apologize if it's been asked: should I watch the latest episode (from the 1st) prior to seeing The Winter Soldier?
toucan82
You shouldn't have to unless I'm forgetting about something
Vander
AG
quote:
Where the hell are you getting this? Acts like an idiot? Name once! She didn't go in unarmed against Deathlok. She went in with Blake to investigate a name that might be the clairvoyant, and Deathlok showed up. She WAS armed, the same as Blake, fired off a few shots and had to dive out of the way of a rocket being launched her way.

Do you notice how everyone else always carries assault rifles and standard military gear? May goes in unarmed 90% of the time because she "doesn't need weapons". Due solely to author fiat and storm trooper level accuracy from the bad guys, she doesn't die. She's normal human with no powers and no tech, it's not believable seeing her do the **** she does with no weapons.

quote:
Again, I would REALLY like a GOOD example of this. I cannot think of a single time she rushed in half cocked. Usually, she's the clean-up crew. She comes in after Ward, once the **** hits the fan. And usually its her and Coulson together. Ie. the time they went up against the pyrokinetic.

Do you understand what author fiat means? It means that by design she won't die even if she is actually incompetent or as another way of saying it, she has looney toon level plot shields.

quote:
In fact I have the sneaky suspicion you might be confusing May with Skye. Skye goes in half cocked. Skye disobeys orders and pulls Leroy Jenkins. Not May.

No, I mean May. Skye almost died because of her incompetence while May gets away with going in unarmed against people with military weapons every episode.

quote:
Oh, you mean like the time she initiated sex with Ward? Or how about the time she flew into a murderous rage at Quinn because she too JUST LIKE WARD has grown attached to Skye. This isn't character development? Or how about the fact when she first joined the team she only wanted to be the pilot, she didn't want anything to do with combat, but now she suits up and goes into the field regularly.

If you hate the actor, there's nothing I can do. Just admit that though, instead of making up bull****.

Her whole shtick is I'm the badass fighter chick who gives no ****s. It's the standard femme fatale that we've seen in every action movie staring a woman. They display zero range, not because the actress is bad, but because the role itself lacks variety.
R0GUE
AG
So by that definition you must also hate the Black Widow, because that's exactly what you described. I hate to break it to you, but this is a comic book universe. Those types of characters are going to exist. Whether you call it "author fiat" or "comic book action" it's really the same thing.

Also you must really hate Coulson. He goes into the field in just a suit and tie. And except for that time he tried to take on a god, nothing bad ever happens to him.
Ganondorf
AG
May would have died if Coulson hadn't showed up when she went after Akela back in Eye Spy. She went in because she's a bad ass but was owned.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
May would die except she is a main character and they don't die. Except for that Buffy and Firefly guy, oh wait..... maybe that is why that guy dies in that movie.
Gradin
AG
Btw for those interested, Comicpalooza in Houston is set to have a lot of this cast there
tamusc
AG
Saw Captain America 2 last night and am reeeeaaally interested how AoS handles things moving forward.
Saxsoon
AG
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/06/post-captain-america-the-winter-soldier-plan-for-marvels-agents-of-shield-revealed

Cast has shared the drivers of the show in the aftermath of Cap 2
Saxsoon
AG

New banner being used for promotions going forward

Winter Soldier Spoilers ****** Wonder if the Clairvoyant is actually Zola and the predictive Algorithm he wrote.

[This message has been edited by Marsuvees (edited 4/6/2014 8:17p).]
RandomAg09
^ I would have put spoilers around that last part, but that is exactly what I was thinking after I watched the latest episode of AoS, especially after the tidbit about reading SHIELD files.
israeliag
AG
^ I thought the same too.
KidDoc
AG
holy crap I bet you are right about that, good thinking!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
israeliag
AG
I'm guessing tomorrow's episode is going to turn in the most viewers the show has seen.
wangus12
AG
*****SPOILERS*****

I was reading an article about the new Cap. movie and unfortunately came across some info about how they are tying it in. Basically the team is going to be going solo in a manner of speaking and that there is going to be one fairly big betrayal coming up.

*****END SPOILERS*****
jabberwalkie09
AG
PSA: Turn, Turn, Turn is currently streaming on Hulu. I do not know if this is a glitch or was purposely done. But I am finishing up the episode now.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Looks like it was a mistake as the episode is no longer available right now...
israeliag
AG
^ Did you get to see the whole episode or did it stop midstream? (no spoilers please)

Possible Spoiler to anyone who hasn't seen Cap 2:

Just had a thought too: the fact that there was an Agents of Shield AND that it was called Agents of Shield definitely helped make Cap 2's story even more shocking.

End possible spoiler
jabberwalkie09
AG
Yes, I saw the episode in its entirety before it was pulled of Hulu. I will not post anything about the episode until others start posting other than to say watch it. It is easily the best episode of the season.
Quantum ace
AG
quote:

I feel the exact opposite. Character and acting combined, May always seemed like a more natural part of the show. I am usually doing laundry or working out while I watch this, so I may have missed some of the more nuanced aspects of Brett Dalton's portrayal of Ward.
israeliag
AG
^ I wouldn't call it nuanced, just a preference (although prior to this thread I thought it was clear that May's acting sucked).
Quantum ace
AG
I am not a fan of Ming-Na's acting, but this role seems to work for her a little better than her character in Stargate Universe. Her low points seem to just fade into the background here, generally just lessening the impact of her character. Some of the other bad acting seems to actually jump out a little more.
wangus12
AG
So ready for tonight after Captain America

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.