Reopening Schools

222,876 Views | 2236 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AustinAg2K
The_Fox
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Our school voted 83% for in person learning. I shocked that so many are voting for virtual in other cities.
Smokedraw01
jenn96 said:

My own kids experience with online in the spring (1st and 4th grade) was so negative that we are not considering online unless forced. No qualms at all about sending them to school.

Most of my friends who are not doing in-person have withdrawn and are homeschooling. They all have stay at home moms which makes a big difference, obviously. Not an good option for my family.

Online learning in the Spring was a failure because teachers were forced to change directions very quickly with no preparation for how to teach online. I don't see that being as much of an issue this coming year. I can tell you that the level of expectations on students will be much higher than it was in the Spring when we didn't know what Corona virus was, how to teach online, or even how to learn on line.
Smokedraw01
I don't think everything has to be liberal vs. conservative.
CowtownEng
Smokedraw01 said:

jenn96 said:

My own kids experience with online in the spring (1st and 4th grade) was so negative that we are not considering online unless forced. No qualms at all about sending them to school.

Most of my friends who are not doing in-person have withdrawn and are homeschooling. They all have stay at home moms which makes a big difference, obviously. Not an good option for my family.

Online learning in the Spring was a failure because teachers were forced to change directions very quickly with no preparation for how to teach online. I don't see that being as much of an issue this coming year. I can tell you that the level of expectations on students will be much higher than it was in the Spring when we didn't know what Corona virus was, how to teach online, or even how to learn on line.

Online learning, even with the best teachers/lesson plan/technology/etc., is just an inferior option for young children.
AgLA06
AG
Only 14% of our school chose to go remote.
jenn96
AG
I can believe that online learning can be done well in high school and possibly junior high. And for enrichment/special topics I don't think it's hopeless. But all day every day as their primary mode of leaning for 7, 8, 9 year olds? It's a disaster. That's not the teachers fault; it's a bad mode of learning. And that doesn't even factor in that it requires parental involvement at every step for the little ones. I work full-time; even from home I am expected to produce. It's not a realistic or effective way to teach kids under 12. Hell my kids won't sit and watch YouTube for 3+ hours a day because they get bored but somehow they're going to sit through 3 hours of lessons? Its awful.

ETA the problem wasn't that there were low expectations with online learning (although there were). It was that my kids hated it with the heat of a thousand suns and learned almost nothing while missing all the social aspects of school.
Smokedraw01
CowtownEng said:

Smokedraw01 said:

jenn96 said:

Online learning, even with the best teachers/lesson plan/technology/etc., is just an inferior option for young children.

I don't disagree. But talking like Spring will be the same as August is just not very rational.
duck79
AG
Kids are asleep and ready for their first day of in person school tomorrow since March. Feels good to have a little bit of normalcy returning.
Bruce Almighty
AG
The_Fox said:

Our school voted 83% for in person learning. I shocked that so many are voting for virtual in other cities.

I think as we get closer to school opening, parents have changed their minds. Our district did a survey in July, and 10% wanted to go online. As of today, 35% have signed up to go virtual.
CowtownEng
Smokedraw01 said:

CowtownEng said:

Smokedraw01 said:

jenn96 said:

I don't disagree. But talking like Spring will be the same as August is just not very rational.

Considering me and my spouse both work full time jobs, it will be just as disruptive, not to mention, the kids absolutely hate it. That's what I am trying to say. It does not matter if the content is better, the platform is garbage for elementary school age children.
Ratsa
In my mind the big difference between online learning last spring compared to now is that parents have the option to choose in-person vs. virtual in many districts. Our district was upfront with the expectations for parents that choose virtual learning and discouraged parents from choosing the virtual option if the parent couldn't meet those expectations. Not everyone has the luxury to spend hours a day helping their kids with their schoolwork. But last spring they weren't able to offer the in-person option, so they had to keep the expectations low knowing that many parents weren't able to provide the support the kids would need at home. That being said, in-person schooling offers so much more than online schooling. But if I had a kid with a compromised immune system, I'd be happy to have the online option right now.
AggieFrog
AG
CowtownEng said:

Considering the marginal risk to those under 18, I can't fathom why any parent would consider online learning. Check the CDC data.

We have 3 sons in private school with an option of virtual or in person for each student. Two of our sons thrived with online classes in the spring and asked to do virtual. One son struggled with it and will be in person (he admits he needs the structure).

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/10/opinion/coronavirus-school-closures.html

Harry Stone
AG
Smokedraw01 said:

jenn96 said:

my employee is in new caney isd and they started yesterday and said it was a disaster.
gvine07
AG
It'd be helpful if people say where they are. I'm a math teacher at Creekview high in Carrollton. We're all online for at least the first 4 weeks (we suspect it will be extended). We had 51% select in-person and 49% virtual.

Crazy thing is, since students can choose to switch every 9 weeks, our classes will have in-person AND online students in the same class. THAT will take adjustment. Less than ideal, but there's no perfect solution.

I'll also add teachers think COVID is serious and all, but I get the feeling a big majority wish we would all be back with masks on.
jenn96
AG
Agree, if I felt like my child needed to be home due to their own compromised immune system, or someone else in the family, I'd be grateful for the choice.

My biggest concern is that we'll get 2 weeks into school and there will be a big breakout and it will all get shut down, or we will constantly be sent home due to localized breakouts of COVID in our school. Then we'll be forced into online. I know something like this will happen (It's inevitable) and am hoping the school is able to maintain an in-person option long-term.

ETA I'm in Cy Fair ISD, elementary.
tylercsbn9
AG
AggieFrog said:

CowtownEng said:

Considering the marginal risk to those under 18, I can't fathom why any parent would consider online learning. Check the CDC data.

We have 3 sons in private school with an option of virtual or in person for each student. Two of our sons thrived with online classes in the spring and asked to do virtual. One son struggled with it and will be in person (he admits he needs the structure).

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/10/opinion/coronavirus-school-closures.html

Because the media has freaked people the **** out. There's a reason the average American thinks 9% of people have died from this and it's not due to the spreading facts and sound scientific data.

ETA I'm a cy fair parent with a kid in middle school and a kindergartener. My wife is a cy fair kindergarten teacher
nai06
AG
gvine07 said:

It'd be helpful if people say where they are. I'm a math teacher at Creekview high in Carrollton. We're all online for at least the first 4 weeks (we suspect it will be extended). We had 51% select in-person and 49% virtual.

Crazy thing is, since students can choose to switch every 9 weeks, our classes will have in-person AND online students in the same class. THAT will take adjustment. Less than ideal, but there's no perfect solution.

I'll also add teachers think COVID is serious and all, but I get the feeling a big majority wish we would all be back with masks on.
How would this change you teaching strategy? Online students would be doing the exact same thing as in person students no?
gvine07
AG
The technology piece. I project stuff on to my whiteboard, and I'll fill in some things and have students come and write a next step. I also refer to anchor charts on different sides of the room.

First I have to find a way for the online kids to see that. And then I have to find a way to get them involved. It's possible, but will be tougher than all in-person or all online.
nai06
AG
gvine07 said:

The technology piece. I project stuff on to my whiteboard, and I'll fill in some things and have students come and write a next step. I also refer to anchor charts on different sides of the room.

First I have to find a way for the online kids to see that. And then I have to find a way to get them involved. It's possible, but will be tougher than all in-person or all online.

When I'm back to face to face teaching, my in person students will be doing the exact same thing as those online. The experience shouldn't be any different.
Smokedraw01
Harry Stone said:

Smokedraw01 said:

jenn96 said:

my employee is in new caney isd and they started yesterday and said it was a disaster.
How so?
gvine07
AG
What do you teach? What devices do the students use? What program/app are you using for synchronous learning?
Complete Idiot
Is this the same Georgia school that we were discussing a few pages back?

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/08/11/901362653/georgia-schools-quarantine-hundreds-of-students-after-possible-coronavirus-expos

It seems like they didn't require masks and basically made no concessions for distancing, no changes whatsoever. It appears that won't go well and although none of these kids may get a serious debilitating illness, if you want school to run as well as possible, with kids not getting sick, it's best to use masks, limit movement between classes, eat lunches in classroom not cafeteria, whatever. Which is all doable.
cone
AG
masks in elementary school doable

tell me more
planoaggie123
AG
wondering how many people have read this thread and changed their minds on how they see this situation...guessing none...sort of like yelling at wall
Complete Idiot
cone said:

tell me more
You have proof it is impossible? Your reply has no weight behind it. I could post dozens of photos of elementary kids wearing masks in group settings, but I am sure, based on your posting history, you will make a cute reply with nothing to back it up. Will some kids have their masks all off on occasion? I bet so. Or it won't cover their nose at times. But enough can do it, and enough can do it for the majority of the day, to make a positive difference. Our district offers a virtual or in person school option, so if a parent isn't comfortable, or a kid is unable to wear a mask, they can choose virtual.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kids+wearing+masks+in+elementary+school&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS804US804&sxsrf=ALeKk02jNAKsp2veGKC4l2_01CAxEsZFOA:1597243228044&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjZxejZ8pXrAhUJTawKHVAMA6EQ_AUoAXoECAwQAw&biw=1920&bih=975#imgrc=3jcvmxW3I5zGhM
cone
AG
impossible nah

but good luck

I've got a kid starting kindergarten. I'm not sending him in a mask. we'll pull out of public if that's how it's going to be.
cone
AG
Quote:

But enough can do it, and enough can do it for the majority of the day, to make a positive difference.
a positive difference

sure

but you asked for weight. put some weight behind the significance of the difference.
Jbob04
AG
At our school, 4th grade and up wear masks but only when they can't social distance. They are mainly just wearing them in the hallway between classes. So far so good, today is day 3 for in person classes at our 2A isd.
tysker
AG
cone said:

tell me more
Doable? Yes
Developmentally appropriate? Depends
Commensurate with a quality learning environment? Remains to be seen
cone
AG
needlessly terrifying to 5 years olds? i mean there's a greater than zero chance
gvine07
AG
At my son's school/dayce 3 and up wear masks except when eating or playing outside... I don't think any of them are scared
gvine07
AG
cone said:

needlessly terrifying to 5 years olds? i mean there's a greater than zero chance
In your own words "put some weight behind the significance of the difference"
88planoAg
AG
The way the argument is now with the anti-in-person school is that masks alone aren't enough. It is supposed to be masks AND difference. That just isn't going to happen without radically altering HS.

Complete Idiot
I don't think every engagement is worthwhile, I wouldn't bother.
cone
AG
I'm proud of how well you've managed

personally I can think can find a better option

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.