Reopening Schools

222,874 Views | 2236 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AustinAg2K
Knucklesammich
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's not liability from students it's liability from teachers brought as a class action under safe workplace practices that has some districts up at night.

I agree with you by the way, I think liability is more an idea of threat than an actual one but yet here it is none the less.
Jbob04
AG
School started at our local school today. Small rural 2A school. Dropped my kiddo off this morning and he was so excited to be back.
Complete Idiot
Jbob04 said:

School started at our local school today. Small rural 2A school. Dropped my kiddo off this morning and he was so excited to be back.
Glad some people are getting to experience this - happy your kid is getting to attend school in person. Hope mine can get that in September.
Drip99
AG
Jbob04 said:

Great! What county are you in?
The_Fox
My kids start back in person next week. Thank god!
DripAG08
AG
We're in Dripping. Still hoping that we go back after our four week virtual start. Kids have been itching to get back at school since Spring Break last year.
Fenrir
Knucklesammich said:

It's not liability from students it's liability from teachers brought as a class action under safe workplace practices that has some districts up at night.

I agree with you by the way, I think liability is more an idea of threat than an actual one but yet here it is none the less.
Good luck suing a school district. They have sovereign immunity (at least in Texas, not going to speak to other states) so you're going to have to prove gross negligence and that's a pretty high bar.
cc_ag92
AG
I'm not going to argue with you about any of those issues. They've been an issue for a long time.

I don't know that consolidating secondary schools is practical or a good idea as they're the ones who probably need the MOST distancing between them and the teachers.

Honestly, though, I agree with you that guidance has changed rapidly across the spectrum of society. I don't envy the decision makers.

I appreciate that you understand that school districts haven't been playing tiddlywinks all summer instead of planning. With your understanding of the shifting guidance and requirements, I'm sure you understand that district leaders have been working long hours coming up with plans and then new plans as guidance shifted.

I think we're actually on the same page here.
Knucklesammich
Oh for sure the districts have been hunkered down on this as well. They're not public health experts and are dealing with countless issues without COVID and now are forced to enact what amounts to public health policy. Nobody to blame I don't think.

Yeah concentrating high school kids would only make sense in certain scenarios and i don't think any district is going that way. I just known it was explored (along with a ton of other options).

amercer
AG
Our public schools have agreed to let a private company use their buildings to run day care where your kid can be for 8 hours and get on their virtual classes.
AgLA06
AG
amercer said:

Our public schools have agreed to let a private company use their buildings to run day care where your kid can be for 8 hours and get on their virtual classes.

Isn't it amazing how private companies can make this work for daycare, but districts with all those highly educated administrators making 6 figures can't.
jenn96
AG
amercer said:

And I imagine parents will get to pay for that privilege?
What a joke. Not that anyone is even pretending it's about the kids anymore but they could at least pretend a little harder.
LB12Diamond
AG
So our school district posted a nice tweet today about all the teachers being back and getting ready for the school year.

Tons of likes for the tweet

Two comments from a brand new account, no picture,, no name

One of them saying how are kids going to feel when their teacher dies and they are the reason.

SMH

If you are going to state such nonsense, at least have the courage to show yourself.
cone
AG
L.O.L.
gvine07
AG
Where is that?
jenn96
AG
gvine07 said:

Where is that?

I believe he's in Maryland. They're online only til January.
amercer
AG
People's republic of Montgomery County.

Richest, bluest county in the country (probably only a slight exaggeration)

So instead of paying $1300 a month to have day care worker get my kid on his zooms inside his elementary school, I'll be paying about that for him to go in person 3 days a week to a Catholic school. That is until there is an outbreak at some private school in the county and the heath commissioner shuts them all down like he has tried to twice already.

It's going to be a fun year
Slamn Sharpe
GinaLinetti said:

I can tell you it won't be the 50+ year old subs that work in my area. It was already next to impossible to get a sub for a single sick day. Add on Covid and we are going to be sol. I've been trying to get a sub for a September wedding, and the 10 or so subs I've spoken to aren't subbing til this all blows over.

Cherry Waves
Smokedraw01
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
I find that 51% very hard to believe. Unless, I wonder if there was a concerted effort by athletics to actually push their kids to go-online to avoid the dumbassary of someone positive in school causing the players to get quarantined over nothing.

Something doesn't add up.
cc_ag92
AG
Why? Because you don't want virtual learning, you find it hard to believe that anyone else does?

In my district, we have campuses with 60% attending on campus and campuses with 30% attending on campus.The district average was a little more than 50% on campus last week, but parents are continuing to move their children to remote classrooms this week. Lots of shuffling of students and teachers (from on-campus to remote) has happened in the past few days. We start school on Thursday of this week.
CowtownEng
Considering the marginal risk to those under 18, I can't fathom why any parent would consider online learning. Check the CDC data.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
My district is 80% in person. Yes, I find the #s surprising for a suburban area.
jopatura
AG
Our district is running about 35% back on campus and that's 35% of the enrolled kids. They've lost a lot of elementary students to homeschool withdrawals. There will also likely be a big problem next fall when every parent assumes they will be able to enroll their 6 year old in Kindergarten.
Harry Stone
AG
Smokedraw01 said:

we chose in class learning when available. we r the 49% i guess
tysker
AG
We chose online for the first grading period to let the school, students and parents test out the in-school logistics. Hopefully by the end we'll have a better idea if they're functional and make sense or if they just get in the way.
88planoAg
AG
I think Boerne is an anomaly. Most others seem to be 50/50, at least as reported here.
Smokedraw01
HowdyTexasAggies said:

I find that 51% very hard to believe. Unless, I wonder if there was a concerted effort by athletics to actually push their kids to go-online to avoid the dumbassary of someone positive in school causing the players to get quarantined over nothing.

Something doesn't add up.
I can tell you that my school is just under 50% and the elementary school my wife works at is at 56%. I'm not sure why KISD would lie about this and athletics is not driving this at all. Seven Lakes HS has one of the highest online class loads out of every school in the district.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Not suggesting they are lying, but that something other than fear of corona is driving it.

My daughter and several others in BB and VB athletes had to get tested because a positive in the mix (1BB, 2VB). None of those with primary contact have come positive. Either the protocols work or following CDC is overkill. Very disruptive what turns out for nothing.
jenn96
AG
My own kids experience with online in the spring (1st and 4th grade) was so negative that we are not considering online unless forced. No qualms at all about sending them to school.

Most of my friends who are not doing in-person have withdrawn and are homeschooling. They all have stay at home moms which makes a big difference, obviously. Not an good option for my family.

jopatura
AG
HowdyTexasAggies said:

Not suggesting they are lying, but that something other than fear of corona is driving it.

My daughter and several others in BB and VB athletes had to get tested because a positive in the mix (1BB, 2VB). None of those with primary contact have come positive. Either the protocols work or following CDC is overkill. Very disruptive what turns out for nothing.

Oh our district is pretty similar to Katy in terms of demographics, maybe just a slight more liberal. It's all Corona fear. Nothing like mid to upper class white women to be completely convinced their kids are dying. If they voted for Beto, they are keeping their kids home at all costs.
cc_ag92
AG
This made me laugh. I live in Collin County. Our district is in an incredibly red county. Our town is run by the very conservative Baptist church. The second biggest church in town is Mormon. It's a VERY conservative suburb. The overall split between remote and on-campus learning is 50-50. I guarantee you that not all of the people whose kids are staying home are or were Beto supporters. It's just not possible when the demographics of the town are considered.
tylercsbn9
AG
jenn96 said:

My own kids experience with online in the spring (1st and 4th grade) was so negative that we are not considering online unless forced. No qualms at all about sending them to school.

Most of my friends who are not doing in-person have withdrawn and are homeschooling. They all have stay at home moms which makes a big difference, obviously. Not an good option for my family.

Yep. They keep saying it's better. It very well may be but there's no way I can have my kindergartener learn at home with how it will be set up. Perhaps my 8th grader but he wants to be in person so we're fine with that.

My wife teaches kindergarten at one of the Bridgeland schools, they're going to struggle to find people that want to do online. They're going to end up having to just assign some since K and 1st teachers are strictly one or the other
jopatura
AG
cc_ag92 said:

This made me laugh. I live in Collin County. Our district is in an incredibly red county. Our town is run by the very conservative Baptist church. The second biggest church in town is Mormon. It's a VERY conservative suburb. The overall split between remote and on-campus learning is 50-50. I guarantee you that not all of the people whose kids are staying home are or were Beto supporters. It's just not possible when the demographics of the town are considered.

The Cruz/Beto split was 53/47 in Collin County.
cc_ag92
AG
Not in my town

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.