Reopening Schools

223,157 Views | 2236 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AustinAg2K
rojo_ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Keegan99 said:

No it's not the same. There are now mountains of empirical data.

There was never empirical data showing a summer ebb.
You're great at posting charts and graphs, but can you post a link that explains the burnout rate of this virus? In addition, what are the burnout rates of other coronaviruses?
Keegan99
AG
Here is Dr. Levitt's paper.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.06.26.20140814v2
rojo_ag
AG
Keegan99 said:

Thank you, sir. I will certainly review his findings.He is certainly an very intelligent scientist and scholar. I also found this article referring to his work interesting. This was published March 23, 2020.

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-03-22/coronavirus-outbreak-nobel-laureate
Quote:

Levitt said he's in sync with those calling for strong measures to fight the outbreak. The social-distancing mandates are critical particularly the ban on large gatherings because the virus is so new that the population has no immunity to it, and a vaccine is still many months away. "This is not the time to go out drinking with your buddies," he said.
rojo_ag
AG
Keegan99 said:

Sweden has done plenty of research.

As have two dozen other countries in Europe that have opened schools.

You just choose not to find it and instead pull up an article from May.

I provided multiple articles. You have been focusing on Sweden primarily in your argument.
rojo_ag
AG
Keegan99 said:

This is absolutely inflammatory fodder for ignorant people who don't recognize how much many of my colleagues and I have worked to provide the most effective instruction that we can provide during this uncertain time. Suggesting that we are just "hang out" at home is just piling on teachers. If I am called to campus, I am there masked up and ready. If they want me to teach virtually on campus, let's go, but WTF? Seriously? I spent from March to May working harder than I did on campus from home while at the same time entertaining my 4 year old daughter and my one year old son. Come on people, be better than this!
rojo_ag
AG
Keegan99 said:

Okay, Keegan. I'm going to back off a bit and allow myself to believe that you are sincere in your attempt to inform us about the virus and schools.. I can tell you are extremely intelligent and highly invested in this topic. You have certainly done your homework!

I truly want to know what would be your guidance for districts planning to reopen? What would be the mitigation measures you would deem necessary? What would be the threshold for containment of the virus to justify a safe reopening? Or is a threshold necessary at all? Would love to hear your thoughts and opinions without any attempt on my part to counter.
Keegan99
AG
Sweden has the playbook:

https://www.thelocal.se/20200511/how-swedens-schools-have-adapted-to-the-coronavirus

Schools should open everywhere. If Stockholm with a density of 18k per square mile could keep schools open in the peak of their curve, there is no place in the US that cannot. Especially by the time Labor Day rolls around.
Mattowander
AG
Well said. I don't have any children but I also found myself working harder at home than I did on campus (at least compared to on campus instruction time) just to get my students through 90% of the curriculum we were supposed to cover this year. A lot of people seem to believe that teachers just stopped working during March through May and that simply isn't the case.

rojo_ag said:

Keegan99 said:

This is absolutely inflammatory fodder for ignorant people who don't recognize how much many of my colleagues and I have worked to provide the most effective instruction that we can provide during this uncertain time. Suggesting that we are just "hang out" at home is just piling on teachers. If I am called to campus, I am there masked up and ready. If they want me to teach virtually on campus, let's go, but WTF? Seriously? I spent from March to May working harder than I did on campus from home while at the same time entertaining my 4 year old daughter and my one year old son. Come on people, be better than this!
planoaggie123
AG
Mattowander said:

Well said. I don't have any children but I also found myself working harder at home than I did on campus (at least compared to on campus instruction time) just to get my students through 90% of the curriculum we were supposed to cover this year. A lot of people seem to believe that teachers just stopped working during March through May and that simply isn't the case.

rojo_ag said:

Keegan99 said:

I think many are forming their perspective on what they experienced and not necessarily at ALL an indication of the "norm" or "majority" of teachers.

I 100% believe some/many/most? teachers probably had heavier loads as you both mentioned...as many dealt with confusing virtual learnings + their own kids at home, etc.

However, I watched my own kid in a good school district. The teacher did 1 - 2 hours a day virtual and was usually in PJs / home clothes sitting in front of their couch and reading a book or watching the kids show off their school work. Usually would send 1 long, confusing email on Sunday evenings. Thats about it. Hard to pretend otherwise.
wangus12
AG
Mattowander said:

rojo_ag said:

Keegan99 said:

This has been what has really frustrating my wife. The amount of hate for teachers on social media has really bothered her. She's nervous about the virus and how they're gonna handle the whole situation, but she is ready to get to work. She's misses teaching and coaching. Granted they just told her she's adding an 8th grade class to her schedule because one of the teachers is doing virtual only and there are too many kids planning on being face to face
planoaggie123
AG
This is sad that teachers still dont know protocols.

No excuse.

All decision making groups have failed.
tylercsbn9
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Mattowander said:

rojo_ag said:

Keegan99 said:

I think many are forming their perspective on what they experienced and not necessarily at ALL an indication of the "norm" or "majority" of teachers.

I 100% believe some/many/most? teachers probably had heavier loads as you both mentioned...as many dealt with confusing virtual learnings + their own kids at home, etc.

However, I watched my own kid in a good school district. The teacher did 1 - 2 hours a day virtual and was usually in PJs / home clothes sitting in front of their couch and reading a book or watching the kids show off their school work. Usually would send 1 long, confusing email on Sunday evenings. Thats about it. Hard to pretend otherwise.

This was common across cy fair ISD. I know for a fact some teachers even went on vacation (not using days) and actively subtly told parents not to contact them. I know this because they were coworkers of someone close to me

The district even had to send an email to them saying no going to places like Target between the hours of 9-2 because you're supposed to be available to parents.

I expect the virtual to be far better here in the fall because 1. They actually have to go to campus even if teaching all virtual kids and 2. Cy fair moved to schoology which is far superior to eduinity and google classroom
planoaggie123
AG
It doesnt help here as I would assume the Teachers and their relatives on this board far surpass the work ethic of many other teachers.

Can't get too specific or overly generic but many did experience "lazy" or "checked out" teachers. Some, not all, had it good via WFH and will do whatever they can...even fake outrage...to continue it...
Bruce Almighty
AG
I put in hours of work for my first virtual lesson plans and got the "we can't expect this much work from our students during this stressful time" speech. Fine, here's your mindless packet of worksheets.
tylercsbn9
AG
planoaggie123 said:

It doesnt help here as I would assume the Teachers and their relatives on this board far surpass the work ethic of many other teachers.

Can't get too specific or overly generic but many did experience "lazy" or "checked out" teachers. Some, not all, had it good via WFH and will do whatever they can...even fake outrage...to continue it...

And part of it also falls on the district.

In the case of Cy fair teachers were explicitly asked not to overwhelm the kids/parents. So even if a teacher wanted to be rigorous they couldn't so even the good teachers basically went into aw **** it mode.
planoaggie123
AG
I think my example and the one of teachers on vacation are cleary not what Districts had in mind.

*SOME* teachers got a free pay-day for a few months.

I sincerly believe the online / virtual experience will not be much improved this year. Hope they prove me wrong....
tylercsbn9
AG
planoaggie123 said:

I think my example and the one of teachers on vacation are cleary not what Districts had in mind.

I sincerly believe the online / virtual experience will not be much improved this year. Hope they prove me wrong....

I think it'll depend on the school. I have a feeling it would be far superior at Bridgeland High School versus some HISD High school
planoaggie123
AG
Agree. Unfortunately as has been stated on this thread and others...the ones most impacted will likely be the ones that need it the most...
rojo_ag
AG
Keegan99 said:

Sweden has the playbook:

https://www.thelocal.se/20200511/how-swedens-schools-have-adapted-to-the-coronavirus

Schools should open everywhere. If Stockholm with a density of 18k per square mile could keep schools open in the peak of their curve, there is no place in the US that cannot. Especially by the time Labor Day rolls around.
I will take a look at this! Thanks!

Also, what did Israel do wrong that Sweden did right?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/04/world/middleeast/coronavirus-israel-schools-reopen.html?campaign_id=154&emc=edit_cb_20200805&instance_id=21009&nl=coronavirus-briefing®i_id=124028687&segment_id=35348&te=1&user_id=0de0a70f6571a5916404223e86829727
Bonfired
AG
tylercsbn9 said:

planoaggie123 said:

And part of it also falls on the district.

In the case of Cy fair teachers were explicitly asked not to overwhelm the kids/parents. So even if a teacher wanted to be rigorous they couldn't so even the good teachers basically went into aw **** it mode.

That last sentence hit the nail on the head.

Our district had differing work posting expectations for different subject areas.

Math (my area) and ELA--every day
Science and SS--3x a week
Electives--once a week

I was basically in AP exam review mode for the 4th nine weeks, so I was mainly giving the classes old AP exam questions to work on, and created online rubrics so that I could give feedback. Once they took their exam, the school year was basically over (one week left that would have been semester exams), so I took my foot off the gas the last week.

Starting online, which I loathe, is going to be a whole different ballgame...I won't have any feel for what this group is like or what they know. Actual assessments are going to be tricky, mainly because I cannot be 100% sure they are the ones doing their work. In a classroom, I can eyeball them, at least.

But, I'll figure something out and make it work. That's what you do.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I checked out because my district checked out. It was also startling how many of my good students didn't do any work. Once the state said we couldn't lower grades, there was no incentive. I spent more time calling parents then doing anything else.
rojo_ag
AG
planoaggie123 said:

I am afraid it has the potential to be worse. My district is fantastic, and we have prepared for this reality since June 1. The problem is we have changed course so many times my head is spinning. First, we were going to use a blended learning model. Then we were going to be 100% virtual or 100% online. All online instruction was going to be asynchronous. Now we are starting remotely and will use a mixed of synchronous and asynchronous learning.

Just like in the spring, I am concerned about the at-risk and the marginalized students. My heart also goes out to the new and novice teachers. Nothing at the university will have prepared them for this. Also, meeting students for the first time virtually is going to be extremely challenging. The first two weeks are essential for developing class cohesiveness, common goals, and class expectations. In my opinion, you have to capture their hearts before you capture their minds (that's not from me, but from Flip Flippen). Harry Wong in First Days of School also emphasizes how vital first weeks are:

Quote:

"Students want a safe, predictable, and nurturing environmentone that is consistent. Students like well-managed classes because no one yells at them, and learning takes place. Effective teachers spend the first two weeks teaching students to be in control of their own actions in a consistent classroom environment."

I know we are in for a challenge, and I am going to do the best I can to ensure my students succeed. Hopefully, we will have two first two weeks of school!
Bonfired
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

I checked out because my district checked out. It was also startling how many of my good students didn't do any work. Once the state said we couldn't lower grades, there was no incentive. I spent more time calling parents then doing anything else.

It was interesting, in an informative way (and mostly not good way), to look back at how my students reacted. I had some students that had been going great, but then struggled with the online setting...a few even sent me very apologetic emails, and I empathized with them, because I didn't like it much, either. Very few improved their effort, and there was no extrinsic reason for them to do so, since their grade could not decrease during T4. Most of mine were seniors whose class ranks were set already, so I guess I should be glad I got what I did from some of them.
tysker
AG
Quote:

In addition, when you use "fear" it carries a negative connotation. I contend that when you make a flawed argument valuing the head over the heart, you are failing to acknowledge that all decisions logical or not are tinged with emotion. Whether you believe that the virus creates a risk or not, the fear is real and the mitigation nightmare that awaits teachers when face-to-face instruction occurs is a cause for concern. I don't know if you have been in the classroom and recognize the complexities and challenges required to be an effective teacher. Now, add the myriad of measures that are in place to ensure the safety of everyone on campuses.
This post has been bothering me since yesterday.

For a profession that advocates so much for STEM there are a lot of people within this profession that don't actually seem to believe in Science, Technology, Engineering or Math.

Every time someone from the non-education community questions the science or math, they are dismissed as being as being blinded by facts. Every time someone from the non-education community poses a solution using engineering or technology, they are dismissed as not understanding the needs of the classroom. If the system is so very set to teach our kids STEM, why not use the applications when it matters. Practice what you preach teach.

Educators should feel privileged that they have an occupation that by its construction is not easily downsized, outsourced, offshored or automated. If we continue down this path your occupation will be tested just like all the others in the country have been over the last 20+ years. You can handwave all you want to the people trying to help but you're whistling past the graveyard of of the current system.
amercer
AG
My county Heath office, after being overruled by the governor on Monday, has now issued a new order to shut down private schools.
planoaggie123
AG
amercer said:

My county Heath office, after being overruled by the governor on Monday, has now issued a new order to shut down private schools.
Not going to pretend to follow all the orders / legal stuff but do people believe they have a basis?

Was Gov Abbott's just related to health groups?
Jbob04
AG
Meet the teacher tonight for our local school. One parent allowed per child.
Keegan99
AG
Let me guess... Day cares can stay open?

It's the learning that's dangerous?

Can anyone explain how this isn't brazenly political?
agforlife97
AG
Keegan99 said:

Let me guess... Day cares can stay open?

It's the learning that's dangerous?

Can anyone explain how this isn't brazenly political?
My kids were in camp all of July, indoors about half the time. It's ludicrous that these same kids can't go to school in person. Some schools that aren't open are being offered as day cares. Seems to be more about teacher union politics than anything.
GAC06
AG
amercer said:

Can't have private schools embarrassing the public schools
cone
AG
it's about getting that attendance money, yo
planoaggie123
AG
if a school can get paid to stay home, why wouldnt they?

daycares can't get paid by staying home.
duck79
AG
Jbob04 said:

Meet the teacher tonight for our local school. One parent allowed per child.
Same here at 6:45. Wife is taking the kids and I am going to buy alcohol.
Charpie
AG
69 percent of Round Rock ISD will keep their kids home after the 1st 3 weeks of school
Keegan99
AG
Considering there won't be any actual "school" at school, I can't blame them.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.